The 49th Hunger Games

De teacuptomlinson

What happened in the Hunger Games the year before the second quarter quell? Who won? The sweet, humble girl f... Mais

Tributes
District 1 Reaping: Diamond and Silver
District 2 Reaping: Truth and Wolf
District 3 Post-Reaping: Sparks and Bolt
District 4 Post-Reaping: Marlou and Tiberius
District 5 Train Journey: Blase and Kane
District 6 Train Journey: Stella and Will
District 7 Styling: Brooke and Timber
District 8 Styling: Camelia and Shadow
Chariot Ride: Saorsie
Chariot Ride: Drake
Training: Autumn and Birch
Post-Training: Nightlock
Interviews: Tyger, Malika and Cody
Entering the Arena: Timber
Day 1: Tiberius and Marlou
Day 2: Autumn and Will
Day 3: Tyger and Nightlock
Day 6: Silver and Timber
Day 8: Autumn and Kane
Day 11: Nightlock and Kane
Day 13: Tiberius and Marlou
Day 15: Kane and Will
Day 16: Timber
Day 17: Kane, Autumn and Birch
Day 18: Marlou and Autumn
Day 18 (continued): Wolf and Birch
Day 19: Ending the Games
Reunion, Highlights and Final Interview
Victory Tour

Day 17 (continued): Truth, Wolf and Autumn

128 2 0
De teacuptomlinson

Been in the arena almost 3 weeks. 17 down, 6 to go. It can't be long now until me or Wolf is announced the Victor of the 49th annual Hunger Games. Over half of us alive are Careers and I know it's definitely the day to break the alliance. And what better way than with a bang. 

"I'm gonna miss you guys. You know, when we get out." I say vaguely, washing my face. We haven't bothered to hunt today, almost assured that within the week only one of us will be alive. Me or Wolf. Not Diamond. Not Birch. Not Marlou. Not Autumn. 

"No you're not. You can't wait for all of us to die." Diamond says quietly and darkly.

Yeah, kinda. 

"We all just want to get out. Whether it's by death or life." Birch defends, "You gotta think about which one's the easiest..." 

"The truth is, is that neither is easy." Wolf remarks morbidly. 

Birch falls silent and continues to take down his tent.

"What's the use? Why don't you just leave it?" I ask, slightly scornfully. 

"It feels right," Birch says, kicking a duffel bag. "Symbolises the end."

I nod slowly. I guess he's trying to get the finality to sink in. Then I poke the subject subtly. "So, there's not many tributes left, is there?" Then I dig my finger right in, "Only seven left. Three non-Careers. You know what that means, don't you?"

"Wha -" Diamond is about to say, but then she has a knife flying fullspeed at her. I only get to see it wedge into her shoulder and hear a scream before I'm up and throwing my weapons in all directions, leaving only one serrated blade still lodging comfortably in it's sheath around my waist. 

Then I run. To find the next target. 

The next target who is a hardy, strong, clever girl from District 11. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Truth legs it. Sprints off into the foliage before any of us can react. So, the time has come for her to finally turn on us. Diamond recieved two knives, though not in vital places, but Birch is surprisingly unscathed. I guess she only needed a distraction so she could run, not caring who she killed and who she didn't. She didn't aim for me. She didn't really aim for Diamond or Birch either. But I know that she wouldn't have tried to kill me unless we were the final two. Maybe not even then. She's unpredictable, is Truth, and that's part of what makes her hard to work with, and even harder to play against. 

Diamond is screaming with panic and pain, eyes dilated as she yanks free the knives, blades now smeared with her blood as their metal catches the sun. Her shoulder looks okay, leaking blood slowly and lethargically. But her leg pumps blood a little quicker. She might live, she might not. Whatever. I don't want to sound malicious but her death is a convenience. If only she'd taken out Birch, the harder opponent. But he's tending to her wounds. Diamond's. What? We're the final 7 and he's concerned about another tribute's welfare? I sigh, watching him press gauzes to her leg and them instantly turn red, her blood the paint and her artery the artist. My heart is returning to normal speed, and now I have time to imagine Truth. Loose and lone in the forest. Angry that she heard no cannons,(yet, probably, to her) seeking out poor Autumn's blood. Then I suddenly think. I don't want Autumn to die at the hand of my sister. I like Autumn. I secretly promised myself I'd look out for her, make sure that if she had to die it would be painless and peaceful and not a slice-and-dice or a knife to a vital organ. That's why I covered for her all those nights ago. I thought, 'nature will deal with her,' or, 'she'll do something stupid,' or whatever. I just dismissed her as one of the poor tributes who die earlier, and not a quick-witted survivor. Even though I did see her throw a spear, I also noticed her escape the bloodbath without a weapon. I could never have imagined she'd make it this far. I don't even notice I'm running after Truth until my subconcious decides to inform me of my feet's intentions and I've already broken the treeline.

I stop abruptly, panting even though I'm in top physical shape. My hair's grown a little longer, and now I have to flick my overgrown fringe out of my eyes. I need to find Truth before she finds Autumn. If Autumn has to die, it's not going to be in this way. Anyway, Birch already told us the story of her poor ally from 5, Kane. I have to at least warn her if not rescue her. 

I creep around after taking my boots off and feeling the pine needles cushion the sound of my footsteps. I'm pretty much completely silent except for the slight sound of my breath coming out my nose, but I'm stealthy enough to be undetectable by ear. Truth can't see me. I doubt she'd kill me if she did, but the thing is, I'm following her for 2 reasons. One; protect Autumn and do not let my sister get her hands on her. Two; kill Truth. Kill her. Quickly and neatly, but definitely and honestly dead. Maybe slit her throat. Maybe use her own technique against her and knife her in the back. As long as she dies. I bet Panem can't wait to see what happens. They'll be in utter shock when the 13 year old kills his 18 year old sister. I can't believe what I'm about to do, but I need her out of the way. I need her not to murder, to torture. I could never say it to her face, but I never wanted her to win. She's a psycho. She can't win. I won't let her. I'm actually torn between who I want as Victor. Maybe me. Maybe Autumn. Maybe Marlou, for Tiberius. But not my evil, bloodthirsty sister. I know who she is and I don't love her anymore. I've seen the Games bring out the worst in people over the years, not really understanding the concept, but now I've experienced it up close and personal, I understand how a life or death situation can really tell you a lot about who a person is. And what choices they make. 

I'm so busy thinking and analyzing that I barely notice Truth skulking through the trees, a dark shape mimicking the stance of a predator. Little does she know, she's about to become prey. 

Wait a second, the wildcat's spotted something. Is it a bird? She's looking up into the trees. I can only see her tensed silhouette from here, so I edge forward, feet lifting about a millimetre off the floor with every step. With only socks on, the noise of my footsteps are muffled. So now the hunter can watch his next kill without disturbing it from it's locked target. I return my gaze. The wildcat's unsheathed her claws. She's about to pounce unsuspecting on her bird. Her innocent bird. 

Time it right...time it right and now! I throw a knife right at her, just so it skims the side of her head. It's such a tiny brush that you can barely see the few strands of hair that fall with the knife and then I'm on her, rolling her over and dragging a second knife across her throat. This one has a smooth blade, but equally sharp. 

There we go. A special kill. A dramatic kill. Why not give the audience a good show? Boom. I bet Panem's watching me right now, laying curled up on my front over my sister's dead body. Mouths open in shock, wishing they could rewind what just happened on their televisions so they could decipher the exact movements. Trying to process in their brains what that little boy from District 2 just did. I crouch there panting for a second, knife still somewhat submerged in Truth's no longer pulsating throat. 

I  allow the Capitol audience a moment of comprehension. 

But then I hear the thud from Autumn's boots jumping from the tree above and in front of my bowed head. I stare into my own sister's sightless eyes and at the dribbling red stain on her neck. Oh Truth...how did you get all that blood on you? My mind pretty much giggles to itself.

"Wolf?" 

Oh Wolf...was that the last straw?

________________________________________________________________________

"Why do you keep saving me?" 

"Um...you're welcome?"

"Wolf, don't sass. I'm past that. Answer me and maybe I'll thank you." I insist. Careers aren't meant to save people from poor Districts, right?

"It's not that I want you to win over me or anything..." Thank you. "It's just that my sister's a pscychopath. I know she wanted me to win, but the feeling wasn't mutual. I couldn't let some savage be the Victor."

"Some savage being your sister!" My voice rises with indignation.

"The point is, Autumn, you're alive because I didn't want you to die so painfully. I'm not like her...I guess I just kinda...wrote you off as a tribute that might die earlier." he sighs. "Sorry." The apology isn't sincere as much as it is huffy, but his remark sparks something in me.

Kane. I saved him because I didn't want him to die so painfully. I thought he would have died earlier.  "Thank you, Wolf." I whisper. "Thank you." 

He laughs. "Finally! I get something out of you!"

"Hey. Don't push your luck, kid." I scold good-humouredly. "Now what?"

"I'll have to go. Back to the oasis." Wolf says begrudgingly. "The Careers aren't quite over yet, sadly. Me, Birch and Diamond. Now the real threat's dead."

I nod. "I see..." I lie. I really don't understand. The amount of time until one or all of them is killed is running out. Even though none of them are as lethal as Truth, they're all capable of a clean kill to get their victory. The Careers are broken, no matter what anyone says about it.

"You don't need me to save you anymore." Wolf  blinks sadly at Truth's bloodied body and turns around, leaving the forest. 

"Birch, Diamond, maybe even Wolf - make the kill painless." I poke the dead figure with my foot. "Good riddance, tyrant." 

Now the wait to die is a little shorter. 

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

90.8K 8.3K 32
Fleur Belcourt, the victor of the 69th Hunger Games, is given the chance to kill a certain Mockingjay and avenge her younger sister when the Quarter...
10.2K 303 45
What would happen if Katniss hadn't won the games? Well the rebellion never happened and the games continued on. This year, it's time for the 4th qua...
4.6K 139 29
We all know what Katniss and Peeta went through. But have we forgotten what happened before them? Shawn and Bella were in the very first hunger games...
6.5K 255 31
Katniss is back in District 12, without Peeta. Will they meet up again. Come and read to find out!