The Fear List (The Fear Serie...

By shanrae93

( #249 ChickLit ) Sometimes, a mistake is all it takes... Shy girl Molly and bad boy Ren live in two separat... More

Prologue - Under
Chapter 1 - Fantasy
Chapter 2 - Pros & Cons
Chapter 3 - Mute
Chapter 4 - She knows whos boss
Chapter 5 - Good day in hell
Chapter 6 - Ambushed
Chapter 8 - Unknown Feelings
Chapter 9 - Darkness
Chapter 10 - The Fear List
Chapter 11 - Lipstick
Chapter 12 - Clown Face
Chapter 13 - Locker Room Antics
Chapter 14 - Sleeping with any guy that will have her
Chapter 15 - Hook, Line and Sinker
Chapter 16 - A try-hard, a nerd.
Chapter 17 - Slick Prick
Chapter 18 - One step forwards and three steps back

Chapter 7 - Shits about to go down

3K 210 77
By shanrae93

Chapter 7 - Ren's POV

*Friday afternoon 14/05/14 - Bet: Day 3*

The rest of the day had me thinking about what I said to Molly and how this is most likely going to affect the bet. Thoughts of her kept running through my mind; the scared look on her face and the shock she probably felt from me treating her just like all the others.

I've been trying to come up with ways on how I can make this up to her but I know it won't be as simple as me approaching her; having a friendly chat, then boom instant best friends. I need to do that thing that men do to make the girl swoon, a gesture of some sorts. Now if I could only think about what this gesture is then I can put the plan into motion.

It's the end of school so I'm making my way out of the main doors; alone because I asked the guys to go on without me so I had some time to think. As I'm leaving I hear someone speaking but my attention snags when I hear the name Molly being tossed about. Who would be speaking about her? I retrace my steps heading in the direction that the voice carries from. It takes a few seconds to find because they are hidden behind some lockers.

I stay back, out of sight so they can't see me. There are two students but I can't see their faces as they are hidden from the cramped space where they currently stand. I don't make a sound and my breathing becomes lighter so that they don't suspect someone is observing them.

"Yeah, meet me later and I'll convince her to come out with me, I'll tell her that it's going to be just me and her" the voice I heard earlier whispers, it's a girl.

"Yeah that's cool, you think this is going to work though? I mean I know she's your best friend and all but she doesn't really speak to anyone, hell she doesn't even speak to me and we have been going out for nearly a week" a deeper, more manly voice answers.

"She needs to do this baby. Now that I have you, she is going to feel left out. I know that she's not very forthcoming with others and that she's shy but I've been using the slow approach with her for years with no results. I think if I just force her into this situation then maybe she might come out of her shell a bit more" the girl insists.

"Ok, but who are we going to set her up with? I don't know if any of the guys will be interested" the guy ponders

"Don't worry, leave it to me" she buzzes.

I'm waiting for the guy to answer the girl but her attitude changes from conniving to flustered when she speaks again.

"Oh shit! I need to go; Mol's probably waiting at my car. I'll see you later baby" she breathes out.

"Ok babe, but if you don't find a guy let me know" he proposes.

The conversation dies only to be replaced by sounds of moans and smacking lips. Guess they are giving each other a goodbye kiss. Finally they stop after what seems like a decade of my life has passed and I hear oncoming steps heading my way. I quickly move back and stroll down the corridor looking like I'm making my way out rather than having been standing there listening to their conversation. A small figure rushes past me and I know it's the girl that was just talking about Molly. When I pick up my pace I see exactly who it is. Elle.

I'm so fucking stupid, of course it would be Elle. They were talking about Molly and Molly only has one best friend, which I know of. Hell she only has one friend, so it shouldn't have been too hard to guess who was speaking about her.

The conversation that just took place seconds ago is confusing but I think I catch the drift for the most part. Maybe I could use this little bit of information to my advantage. It looks like I just won the lottery because someone just handed me the gold, the gold being the big gesture that I needed to get back on track with Molly. But more importantly back on track with the bet. It's time to make my move, to go in for the kill.

"Hey Elle, wait up!" I holler.

**********

I stand at the little seating area in the lobby of the cinema while I wait for Molly to arrive. I look down at myself and check the outfit that I chose for tonight. I'm wearing my black leather boots, snug fit dark jeans and a navy button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up. I grip my leather jacket in my fists whilst waiting in anticipation. I really hope that this works. If I can execute the plan perfectly then all should be fine and me and Molly will be back to being friendly in no time. If it doesn't go to plan then I'm just shit outta luck because I don't know what else to do.

I wait another fifteen minutes before I'm finally graced with her presence. I have to do a double take as she first walks in. It's only after I see Elle behind her that I truly believe this girl standing across the lobby is Molly.

Wow.

What happened to her? Looks like someone is making an effort for tonight. That thought makes me frown. I take in her straight glossy hair that is visibly longer due to the untamed curls being flatted out. Her face is lightly made up to show a tinge of colour on her cheeks making her look flushed. Black rimmed eyes scan the lobby, taking in others around her. She looks sexy in a fitted dress that shows some curves that I didn't even know she owned. She's still not the sexiest girl I've seen but it's a major improvement. I think the guys are going to like the new and improved Molly.

They make their way over to the snack counter and get some popcorn and other shit I cannot quite make out. I'm abiding my time, making sure that I approach at the best possible time. As she turns around I see her face suddenly pale. Her eyes locking on an unwelcome guest.

I turn in the direction that her eyes have landed and see pretty boy and his pal Dan Ferguson walking towards her. So this is who Elle set her up with. Is she serious? Dan is on the football team with Ethan and is a major douche. His light brown hair, toned body and easy tan make him good looking, in the pretty boy way just like his friend. I've seen the girls falling over themselves to speak to him and he normally gives them all his attention, straying from one to the other. What the fuck does Elle think she is doing setting Molly up with someone like Dan. He would rip her heart out in a second.

My mind is telling me that I'm basically planning on doing the same thing so I can't judge but I brush the thought away. I'm not intentionally trying to hurt her it's just that all this is fake; anything that happens between us in the future is fake. It's a bet and nothing more; when she finds out about it, which hopefully she doesn't, I know it will hurt her but it will tell me that I have done my job correctly. If I have done it correctly she should love me and a betrayal like this bet would rip her in two. I shake my head when I feel disgust travel through me. I don't really want to think about hurting an innocent like Molly anymore.

My eye catches movement and I look over to where Molly is standing. Elle and Ethan are hugging and acting overly shocked to see each other. Yeah, I doubt Molly is buying any of this bullshit. By the look on her face I'd say I'm right because she looks way beyond pissed. She knows she's been had, set up on a date that was supposed to be a girl's night out. Molly sends a mighty glare towards Elle then one equally as chilling to Dan. The asshole deserves it. She certainly recognises him from school, knowing all about his reputation. I'd say that it's a definite by the looks of her scowl.

I rub my hands together with glee. It's time for operation 'Fuck up Molly's date'. Shits about to go down!

*********************************

Molly's POV

*Friday evening 14/05/14 - Bet: Day 3*

Rage. Uneasiness. Fear. Regret.

These are all the emotions that churn around inside my mind when my eyes set on the two boys in front of me.

Rage at Elle for doing this to me. The way she acts overly shocked to see them tells me that this is not by any means a coincidence. Or the fact that there is a hint of smugness radiating from her is another dead giveaway. She knows that I don't like participating in things like this and yet she still goes straight ahead and does it, my emotions be dammed.

Uneasiness at the aspect of having this boy too close to me. Uneasiness at the dynamic changes that may be occurring in my relationship with Elle. The changes that I already see taking place, like the unregard for my feelings tonight.

Fear of the unknown. Fear that he might want to touch me. Fear of being different. Dan might think I am abnormal for not wanting physical contact from him, or anyone for that matter.

And finally regret. This one is a simple one. I just simply regret that I accepted Elle's invitation to come out tonight.

I rub my hands together nervously as three sets of eyes bore on my face. Oh great, why is everyone staring at me. I know that the different emotions are in all likelihood plastered across my face so I make quick work of trying to hide them, putting on an indifferent look.

"I just can't believe that you're here Ethan, I didn't know you was going out tonight" Elle announces loudly.

I roll my eyes at her abysmal performance. The jig is up, there really is no point keeping up the act. I don't say anything though; I really don't want to have a confrontation with Elle in front of the guys.

"Yeah, I'm totally shocked to see you. Me and Dan were just hanging out and decided to come watch a movie. But seeing as we bumped into you and Molly why don't we stick together for the rest of the night" Ethan suggests.

He's acting abilities are worse than Elle's. He rocks on his feet nervously as his eyes flicker from mine to Elle's checking if I believe this bullcrap. Dan seems unaffected by the whole thing and causally stands next to Ethan taking in the scene.

They don't even wait for me to answer; they just proceed forward to the ticket desk so Ethan and Dan can get the tickets to the movie we are seeing. I linger behind as my eyes train on Dan who is a couple feet in front of me. I know exactly who he is.

The Dan Ferguson.

Quarterback on the football team and one of Ethan's best friends. Hazel eyes covered by dark lashes, straight nose and dark plump lips complete the 'hot-guy' package. I'm not doing to lie, his tanned 6ft muscled frame and baby faced features are a shoo-in to get the girls swooning after him and normally I would be right along with them, from a distance of course. However I'm not so stupid as to fall for his charm. I know he is a player. My definition of a player is a person who is an expert at manipulating others, be that male or female; particularly at seducing them by acting to care for them, when in truth the player's only intent is sex.

So you could apprehend why I wouldn't want to be on a 'date' with this guy, a well-known player. It's not like I could just walk away, leave Elle and go home. I know I should but it's not an option as I know she would never drop the issue about how I just left. Plus I have no money for cab fare.

I stop looking over Dan's body and bring my attention back to Elle and Ethan who are now walking to the screening room. My steps pick up speed so that I can walk along side Elle and not get left to flank Dan's side. She gives me a reassuring smile as if to say 'it's going to be fine'. Yeah well it's just going to be dandy for you because you're going to be sucking face with your boyfriend while I'm going to be stuck with Dan, a practical stranger.

As we find some seats at the back I can see everyone hesitate on the seating arrangements. Please let me sit next to Elle. I chant in my head. If I sit on the end and then Elle sits next to me then we can put Dan all the way on the other end. Two people separating us; I think that would be just fine, completely normal for a date.

Ethan doesn't seem to hear my silent plea as he guides Elle in first then follows swiftly after her. Dan goes next, leaving me in the isle. I must be cursed with bad luck. This is just not my day. First Ren being a jerk, then the ambush date and now actually having to sit next my so called 'date' - but not date because this whole night was a 'coincidence' of course so we are not actually on a date. Yeah if that's true then call me a slut because it couldn't be further from the truth.

I slowly take a seat next to Dan, feeling his arm rest on the back of my seat. I gulp, please don't touch me, but it's not like he can hear it. The room is dark, only lit by the glaring screen that shows trailers for upcoming films. Earlier Elle and I had decided on watching a scary film but I'm thinking that her suggestion for this genre was not a fluke. I bet her intensions were that I get scared and jump straight into Dan's waiting arms. I played right into her plans by agreeing to this movie, not even knowing that I was about to get blindsided.

My hands cling to the popcorn bag due to my anxiety. I'm actually somewhat thankful that we are at the cinema, it's a place that's dark and you don't have to talk to the person next to you for the next hour and a half. If we were anywhere else it would be really awkward; not that it's not awkward now, I'm just saying that it could be worse.

It's as if the words have left my mind all too quickly because it can beyond doubt get worse. Worse in the terms of feeling an unwanted pressure slide up my thigh. I jump from the unexpected contact of Dan's big hand travelling across the material of my dress that's draped just above my knee. My breath hitches and I panic. He is touching me and I don't like it. I mean I really don't like it. I try to shake him off by moving my legs inconspicuously, pretending that I'm just shifting my position in the chair. He doesn't seem to get the message and grips tighter as to keep hold of my leg.

I don't want to make a scene but I need him to stop. Apprehension clouds my mind and takes over my body from the feelings that his touch is giving me. I look up to his face and see that his eyes are pinned to where his hand rests on my thigh. He notices that I've stopped shifting and looks at my face. When his eyes catch me facing him he smirks and leans closer. He must have seen my alarmed expression.

"It's alright babe, everyone does this when they go on dates. It's practically why anyone even goes to the movies, to hook up. Don't worry no one can see us" he grins mischievously.

God I feel sick. The words that he said repeat in my head; babe, hook up, no one can see us. I don't have any experiences with dating so I don't know if he is lying or not, but I really don't want him to touch me or try to 'hook up'. I don't even know what he means by that. Just simple kissing or more? I mean he has not even said one word to me this whole time and he is moving this fast already.

When he said babe it jogs the memory of Ren calling me that exact word when he first talked to me. Well it was more like his second word to me but whatever. I was shocked when Ren called me that and I didn't like it because it was most likely what he called all the girls he hooked up with, but when Dan said it, it was different. Not a good different either. The way he said it really creeps me out rather than just irritating me.

I'm starting to get really frightened and Elle and Ethan pay no mind to what he is going. I guess he was right when he said that no one would see us. They are too busy touching each other up, guess he was right about the purpose of people coming here also.

"P-pplease stt-op" I managed to plead.

He still doesn't stop; it only encourages him to lean closer. Oh god, oh god! I let out an uncomfortable whimper as his hot breath skims across the shell of my ear.

"Baby, don't be shy. You'll enjoy it trust me" he whispers.

His wet lips touch my ear lope and I suck in a breath. I shove myself to the other side of the chair to put as much distance as I can between us. I need to get out of here. No matter what I say he's not going to stop. When Ethan invited him tonight Dan probably though I was fair game, that he should come and see if he could hook up with the pathetic mute girl. I don't care about Elle being disappointed in me anymore or that I might cause a scene. I grab his hand and try to move it off my leg so that I can get out of my seat. It takes some effort but I am finally able to do it. Just as I go to stand a figure appears to my side.

I let out a shriek, which in turn makes the people watching the movie look back at me. Luckily we're watching a scary film so I can play it off as being scared. I gaze more closely at the shadow in front of me from where I sit in my chair. I must have fallen back into it when they startled me. The person is really tall, like 6ft and they have a muscled frame. The movie scene playing has dark lighting, making it impossible to see who this stranger is. I don't know what I should do. Do I stay here with Dan or approach the stranger so that they can get out of my way? Just as I'm about to make my decision a bright light suddenly appears on the screen when it turns from night to day. The face next to me is illuminated and I am able to see exactly who has graced me with their presence.

I take in their full lips that are currently shaped into a knowing grin; he knows that I have finally recognized him. My eyes flit up to meet his; they dance with humor from my shrieking incident moments earlier.

"You would think I'd have learnt my lesson the last time I scared you. Remember what happened last time I did that? Oh shit, that reminds me that I still owe you a phone" He grins cheekily.

He drones on, not even giving me a chance to think of why he is randomly here or the issue with my phone. Why is he in the exactly same cinema and exactly same movie as me or why he has decided to take a seat next to me? I look over at Dan to see if he has noticed. Oh, too right has he noticed. Dan throws daggers with his murderous stare that is currently eyeing the person next to me. Dan's hand rests on my thigh once again and I stiffen. It's like he is laying his claim on me, telling others to back off. In other circumstances it could be seen as a sweet if not possessive gesture but not to me. It makes me feel trapped and my anguish shoots through the roof. Dan leans over like he did before and gets close to my ear.

"What's Ren Tyler doing here? Did you invite him or something?" Dan bites out harshly.

I go rigid and shake my head in answer to Dan's question, informing him that I don't know why Ren is here. Ren must notice my sudden stiffness because he does a once over on me, trying to catch anything out of ordinary. He looks back at me when he doesn't find anything but then just as quickly snaps his eyes back to my thigh where he overlooked the hand that is placed there.

Ren's silver eyes turn cold as they glare at Dan. Does Ren think that I want Dan to touch me? Does he blame me for this? I don't have the answer to why I feel guilty, it's not like I'm cheating on him or anyone for that matter. I don't even think we're friends anymore, not after what happened today when he was callous to me when I bumped into him. Why should he care what Dan is doing anyway, it's not as if he would even like me that way.

I shrug Dan's hand off again and this time he must get the message that I don't want him touching me. It's either that or he saw the nasty look that Ren gave him and decided to give up.

I want to ask Ren what he's doing here but when he sees me open my mouth he puts his finger against my lips to stop me. Shock tingles through my body at the rough texture of his finger against my sensitive lips and then he removes it. I should repel from his touch but I don't know whether I like it or not. Ren touch, it's not like Dan's was. Dan's contact made me feel sick, anxious and in danger. Whereas Ren's touch makes me curious, yet still unsure whether to let him touch me again. This is like the second or third time he is either touched or attempted to touch me since we met. It's the closes anyone has got apart from Elle or my mom. Something in my brain is telling me that Ren's touch is ok, that I shouldn't be scared. Maybe it's because I thought we was becoming friends so it doesn't affect me as bad, like how Elle touches are sort of ok. My mind is a jumbled mess of confusion. Why is Ren here? Why is he suddenly being nice after he acted like a jerk earlier? Lastly why does his touch not scare me as much as it did the first time?

After a few moments of silence Dan lets out an aggravated sigh when he realises that Ren's not leaving. He leans over me to speak directly to Ren.

"What are you doing here dude, we're kind of busy. Don't you think it's sorta weird that you are sitting next to my girl" Dan questions angrily.

His girl? I inwardly scoff at what he just called me. What's his problem? Does he think that if he calls me his girl I'll melt like all the other girls and fall right into his bed? I make no mistake in knowing that's exactly what his intentions are. If they weren't then he wouldn't have been so forward. Ren doesn't even bother covering his scoff.

"Your girl, dude she couldn't be any more uncomfortable with you. I don't see how she could be your girl if she was trying to get away from you before I turned up" Ren replies smugly.

Dan goes to answer but Ren beats him to it and adds "And to answer your question it's none of your business why I'm here but its lucky I turned up when I did" he hisses.

Yeah, it is lucky he got here when he did, who knows what Dan might have done. Even if I had walked out of here he might have still followed me. I won't admit to Ren that we both agree on this point though. Dan grunts and gets ready to retaliate but the women in front of us shushes us whilst sending all three of us a glare. That shuts both boys up. All this time I haven't even thought to look over at Elle and Ethan too see what they make of the little spat we are having, well rather the boys are having. I take a hasty glance at them only to see them still sucking each other's faces off and completely oblivious to what just took place. I'm surprised they haven't gotten chapped faces with the amount of friction they have going.

We stay quite after the woman sends us another warning look just in case we start arguing again. I sit still throughout the rest of the movie, making sure that I don't touch either of the boys sitting on opposites sides of me. Ren causally looks down at my leg every now and then to make certain that Dan has not placed his hand there again. The situation is uncomfortable but I make myself focus on the movie that I have already missed most of.

************

The credits finally roll up and Dan, Ren and I stand up, making your way out. I look back and Elle and Ethan are still sitting in their chairs talking, not making any move to get out of here. I stop and wait for her because I do not want to be stuck outside with these two. After waiting for what seems hours they finally get up when Dan taps Ethan on the shoulder awkwardly. Elle sees that we are waiting and shoots me an apologetic smile. We all make our way out; with me following behind Ren and Dan uncomfortably close behind me. I covertly move closer to Ren to get away from Dan.

We stop in the lobby and it's only then that Ethan and Elle seem to notice that we have picked up another follower. Elle looks questionably at me as if to ask why Ren would be here. I shrug my shoulders and she moves her eyes to Ren.

"Erm Ren what are you doing here?" Elle asks with a tilt of her head, her eyes narrowing on him. She doesn't seem happy to see him.

"Yeah so me and a couple of the guys were supposed to come watch a movie but then they called me and bailed the last minute. I was already here and had brought my ticket though. I wasn't going to waste the money so I watched it by myself" he laughs, rubbing the back of his neck.

Elle's eyes narrow even more after listening to his explanation. I have to admit even I think it sounds pretty shady. I mean he is Ren Tyler - popular badboy at our school, he wouldn't be coming to the cinema by himself and even if his friends cancelled he could easily pick up a girl to come with him instead. Plus why would he sit next to me and how did he know that I was sitting in that exact spot? I mean it was pretty dark in there, so there's no way he could have just seen me sitting there if I couldn't even see him when he came in.

"Ok, but I meant what are you doing here, as in here with Molly?" Elle explains. She gives him a look that I don't quite understand.

"Oh, well I was walking in about the same time as you guys and saw that we were both watching the same movie so I thought I'd join you. Oh I didn't ruin a date or anything did I?" Ren asks innocently, biting his bottom lip for effect.

He knows that this was a date, it is pretty obvious to anyone around us but he pretends to not have known for some reason. I don't really care at the moment because I am just grateful that he is acting as my buffer.

"Right, anyways we are going to go get some food so we'll see you later then" Elle concludes, knowing that she's only going to get more lies from him.

We have to go out for food as well? That means we will actually have to speak to each other and what if Dan tries touching me again. I have a feeling that if I tell Elle she would just tell me to chill out and enjoy the night. If Ren's not here I don't know what might happen, so much for being my buffer. I try to catch Ren's eyes to communicate using my own eyes that I want him to stay. He doesn't seem to catch it though because he's giving me a strange look in return. When I don't say anything he begins to turn away after a quick wave.

Now I'm left with Dan. Oh great!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Note

Hi All :p

So, how many of you thought that it was Ren that was meeting her, up until the point that Ren sees Ethan and Dan approach Molly? - Let me know :P

Please give me some feedback on this and tell me what you think because it will really help me improve my writing. I don't mind if these are negative or positive comments, anything will help.

P.S. Don't forget to vote, comment and follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 47.7K 74
'"Can you spread your legs a little farther for me, baby?" he asks me, his voice a low whisper. I nod, doing exactly as I'm told, and he bites down o...
7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...
16.5K 136 54
Jake was troubled, did what was considered to be 'bad' things but he just wants to live. He's extremely loyal, funny but brave. Devon was a smart gu...
828K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...