Sketch

Oleh AnnaHellier

Eighteen year old Emmy Porter doesn't know what to do with her life. Fresh out of education, she's got the w... Lebih Banyak

Sketch
1 - Sam
2 - Emmy
3 - Sam
4 - Emmy
5 - Sam
6 - Emmy
7 - Sam
8 - Emmy
9 - Sam
10 - Emmy
11 - Sam
12 - Emmy
13 - Sam
14 - Emmy
15 - Sam
16 - Emmy
17 - Sam
18 - Emmy
19 - Sam
20 - Emmy
21 - Sam
22 - Emmy
23 - Sam
24 - Emmy
25 - Sam
26 - Emmy
27 - Sam
28 - Emmy
29 - Sam
30 - Emmy
31 - Sam
32 - Emmy
33 - Sam
34 - Emmy
35 - Sam
36 - Emmy
37 - Sam
38 - Emmy
39 - Sam
40 - Emmy
41 - Sam
42 - Emmy
43 - Sam
44 - Emmy
45 - Sam
46 - Emmy
47 - Sam
48 - Emmy
49 - Sam
50 - Emmy
51 - Sam
52 - Emmy
53 - Sam
54 - Emmy
55 - Sam
56 - Emmy
57 - Sam
58 - Emmy
59 - Sam
60 - Emmy
61 - Sam
62 - Emmy
63 - Sam
64 - Emmy
65 - Sam
66 - Emmy
67 - Sam
68 - Emmy
69 - Sam
70 - Emmy
71 - Sam
72 - Emmy
73 - Sam
74 - Emmy
75 - Sam
76 - Emmy
77 - Sam
78 - Emmy
79 - Sam
80 - Emmy
81 - Sam
82 - Emmy
83 - Sam
84 - Emmy
85 - Sam
86 - Emmy
87 - Sam
88 - Emmy
89 - Sam
90 - Emmy
91 - Sam
92 - Emmy
93 - Sam
94 - Emmy
95 - Sam
96 - Emmy
97 - Sam
98- Emmy
99 - Sam
100 - Emmy
101- Sam
102 - Emmy
103 - Sam
104 - Emmy
105 - Sam
106 - Emmy
107 - Sam
108 - Emmy
109 - Sam
110 - Emmy
111 - Sam
112 - Emmy
114 - Emmy
115 - Sam
116 - Emmy
Bonus Chapter

113 - Sam

4.1K 166 17
Oleh AnnaHellier

I'm not sure if I'm enjoying being back on the set of LZ TV or not.  I'm certainly not excited to see the crazy blonde host again - she creeps me out.  But Jeremy and Tanya assure us that this interview is the one last push until our album is finally released on Liberty records, so I grin and bear it, not wanting to let anyone down.

My mood changes dramatically, however, when I spot someone coming towards me at lightning speed.  My first impulse is to hide, but the corridor is narrow with no-where to run.  For the second time today, I force myself to suck it up and get on with something I'd rather not do.  If only I hadn't insisted on leaving to get a drink.

Michelle looks as cold as ever, stalking, rather than walking, right up into my personal space.  She always did know how to push my buttons.

"Where is she?"

I bite my lip, letting a sigh out through my nose.  "Hi Michelle.  How are you?  I'm good, thanks for asking."

Her eyes flash and I can't deny the way it scares me.  "Where is she?"  Her voice is needle sharp, splintering the otherwise silence in the empty corridor.

"Emmy's in the dressing room," I reply reluctantly.  "I doubt they'll let you in though."  Why she's even here is ridiculous.  I have no idea what she aims to achieve, other than more upset.

Michelle shakes her head hard, her dark hair whipping around her shoulders.  "Not Emmy, you idiot.  My mum.  Where is she?"

I can't help noticing how her voice cracked when she asked for her mum.  For the first time in a long time, a tiny bit of sympathy seeps out for the girl who poisons everything she touches but then I see the way she's looking at me with distaste and any empathy disappears.

"She's around somewhere.  I haven't seen her for a while.  Not since sound check."

Michelle's fists ball at her sides, her jaw clenching under her pale skin.  "Whatever, Sam.  Get out my way."

I step aside immediately, just in time for her to flounce off towards the staff canteen.  I look down at the forgotten bottle of orangeade in my hand.  I tear the cap off and down as much as I can before I have to come back up for air.  My tongue fizzles from the bubbles but I'm glad.  Anything to get the putrid taste of talking to Michelle out of my mouth.

I make my way back to our dressing room quickly, the buzz for preforming no longer as present.  I know Michelle won't be here, having stormed off the other way, but I still sigh in relief when I only see Emmy, Vince and Ollie crowded around a table filled with snacks.

Emmy spots me in the doorway and holds up a can of orangeade, smiling a toothy grin.  "They dropped all this off just after you left."

I manage a nod, crossing the room to give her a hug.

She laughs.  "What was that for?  You weren't gone that long, were you?"

I shake my head.  "No.  But I'm just glad to be back."

Vince frowns at me in between bites of a sausage roll.  "Why?  Where have you been?"

"The canteen," I say, though I know his question wasn't meant to be answered.  He's just giving himself time to think of an insult.

"What's so stressful about a canteen?" Vince adds almost lamely.

"Nothing," I assure him.  "I was fine until I bumped into Michelle."

Ollie almost chokes on a cocktail sausage, spluttering at my words.  "What?  Why the hell is she here?"

"Looking for Tanya," I reply.  "That's all she asked, too.  Nothing about our new record deal."

Emmy scowls and it's an expression that doesn't suit her.  I squeeze her hand in an attempt to make her smile.  "That's weird," she says.  "Surely she's devastated that we're not down and out where she put us."

I nod.  "That's what I was thinking."

Ollie purses his lips, a signature look when he's thinking.  "Maybe she's bored with us and she's going to confront Tanya about it instead."

The idea makes me sick.  I know that Tanya's torn up about not having seen Michelle in almost a month, even if she hides it well.  The thought of them seeing each other, but only so Michelle can argue with her, is horrible.  Tanya doesn't deserve it.  No-one deserves to be on the other end of an argument with Michelle.  Her words are like acid, her tongue razor sharp.  For a less hardened person it can be too much to handle.

I think back, remembering the first time I saw that side of Michelle.  It almost broke me, to see someone I'd cared for and laughed with become numb to anything I had to say.  I'm just glad that Tandy isn't here too.

We don't get to see Tanya before we head onto the set of LZ TV.  Yazmine's there to greet us, massive smiles and boobs on show.  I feel a surge of pride when Vince doesn't stare with an open mouth.  Alex really does seem to have changed him.

We're all still a little rattled as we take our seats on stage.  The show isn't live, so we all feel a little more relaxed than last time, but seeing Michelle has definitely freaked me out.  I'm just hoping that security have got to her before she can unleash her anger on Tanya.  With Tanya being nowhere in sight though, I find myself doubting that outcome.

The guy host with the quiff is nowhere in sight and it soon dawns on me that Yazmine is taking the lead today, interviewing us by herself.  I stop searching the room, returning my eyes to the stage to see Yazmine staring at me, her blonde eyebrows cocked in interest.  She reminds me of a hawk, the way she watches me.  I feel myself shiver involuntarily and I grab hold of Emmy's hand for support.

She turns to smile at me and as usual when I'm around her I feel myself relax.  She looks beautiful as always in a thin, pale yellow jumper.  I can see right through to the white vest top she's wearing underneath, but I focus on the daisy chain necklace instead.  Now isn't the time to let my mind wonder.

"Are we ready?" a guy in a headset asks.  He looks to where Jeremy has appeared at the back of the room.  Getting an answering nod, he starts speaking into his headset, directing cameras to start rolling.

I exhale, letting out any nervous energy, and then settle into it.  As expected, Yazmine's first question is directed at me, her sharp eyes honed in on my face but I stick with it, not letting her faze me.

"It feels amazing to be signed again," I answer in reply to her question.  "Of course, it was unexpected, but it feels so good to be back on the right track."

Yazmine nods, seemingly satisfied with my answer.  "Good.  I'm glad to hear it.  What about you, Emmy?  How does it feel to be making music again?"

"We never stopped writing or playing music," Emmy confides.  "But now we have a purpose again.  We have a clearer aim and we have the resources to be the best we can be."

"Emmy's right," Ollie says.  "We never stopped being Sketch, but the journey was side-lined for a brief while.  Now we're rolling again and we can continue to grow."

When Yazmine turns to Vince, he only nods and I wonder if he's scared of saying something stupid like last time. 

"Brilliant," Yazmine says. "I'm pleased to hear it.  So, let's talk about the album.  Any names yet?"

Ollie takes the lead again.  "Not as of yet, but we've got a list."

"Can I hear a few suggestions?" Yazmine asks, giggling coolly.  "I'm sure the fans would love to hear them too."

I hear Emmy snort at Yazmine's tone but no-one else seems to pick up on it.

"Well, obviously there's the self-titled, Sketch.  We're quite keen on naming it after one of the songs, too.  As for anything else, you'll have to wait and see."

Yazmine pouts at Ollie's refusal to confide further.  She leans forward, setting a hand on Vince's knee and flirting with her eyes, her lashes batting furiously.

Vince looks horror-struck, shifting uncomfortably in his seat.  He really is a changed man thanks to Alex.  The old Vince would have loved having someone fawn all over him, but this Vince wants none of it.

"Do you have any suggestions?" I ask on a whim, trying to save Vince from Yazmine's clutches.  "We'd love to hear new ideas."   I can't actually imagine anything worse than what Yazmine thinks, but I can't just watch Vince squirm, no matter how funny it is.

Yazmine sits back in her chair, breaking contact with Vince.  I can almost hear him starting to breathe again.  "Hmm," she says, tapping a nail to her bottom lip.  "You're a sexy band, so I think something sexy would fit."  Her gaze slips to Vince again and I actually see his adam's apple bob.

"Hot stuff," Emmy offers.  Her face is deadly serious but I know she's dying to laugh.  "Or seductive sound."

Yazmine actually looks impressed.  "I like it."  She smiles at Emmy as if they're now best friends.  "Next question.  How do you feel about the album being released so soon?"

"It feels insane," I say.  "We've only been signed for a fortnight, and things are moving so fast, but I think it's good.  It shows that the new label believe in us and in our music.  They're willing to just put it out there and see what happens."

"It's nice to know they think it will work," Ollie says.  "And that, like Sam said, they have faith in us."

"What sort of sound can we expect to hear?" Yazmine asks.  "Room for two was pretty pop-punk, I'd say.  Have you stuck with that sound, or have you changed as you've grown?"

Emmy smiles at me before she answers.  "I'd say there's a bunch of different genres on there.  The slow songs are almost ballads, but the fast paced stuff is more rock."

"We even have a pretty heavy song on there," I add.  "It's nice to be able to change things up a bit."

"It takes the listener on a journey," Vince says.  "A mixture of fast and slow, happy and sad."

"So it's a pick-n-mix kinda album," Yazmine says.  "Something for everyone."

"Maybe not your gran."  Emmy laughs and we all join in.

"I'll bear that in mind when I'm buying Christmas gifts," Yazmine says. 

The atmosphere seems to even out a little, and even Yazmine seems to be relaxing into her role as interviewer.  She's not trying too hard, digging for gossip until her false nails drop off.  Instead she's actually letting us speak.

"So, let's talk favourite song from the album.  We'll go round the band, starting with you, Sam."

I'm immediately incapable of choosing.  It feels wrong.

"There are ten tracks on the album," I say.  "And each one is special to me.  Some hold memories and some have allowed me to get things off of my chest.  I don't know if I can pick."

Yazmine nods, but not quite in understanding.  "Okay, we'll come back to you.  Emmy?"

Not one to be indecisive, Emmy replies almost immediately.  "Room for two.  Because it almost became the icebreaker between me and Sam.  It allowed him to see what I was all about."

I nod to back up her words.  "It's true.  When Emmy wrote the song, we were in a bad place.  We didn't get along, but it was because I wouldn't give Emmy a chance.  It made me understand that there was enough room for the both of us to be in the band."

The stage is quiet for a moment as Yazmine drinks my words in, then she moves to Ollie.

"I'd say my favourite song is Second chances.  It describes what we were desperate for and now we're here, it serves as a reminder of where we've come from."

Vince picks Tell me why, because he has a drum solo in it, but when Yazmine comes back to me I still haven't decided.

"We'll leave it at that then," Yazmine decides.  "I won't force you to choose."

The smile I give her is genuine, something I never thought would happen.  We discuss touring, and favourite bands before the interview comes to a close.

"You'll be back later though guys, to perform for us."

We all nod. 

"We're gonna be singing Imagine," I say.  "It's the first single from the album and it'll be out the day before the album release."

"Exciting stuff," Yazmine agrees.  "Thank you guys, and good luck."

The interview ends and then we all thank Yazmine before leaving the stage.  I spot Tanya standing by the fire exit.  She looks a little zoned out and I make a beeline for her, Emmy trailing behind.

Close up, Tanya looks pale.  I'm about to ask her what's wrong when I see Michelle standing with a woman on the opposite side of the room. 

"That's her new manager," Tanya says.  Her voice is off.

"Have you spoken to her?" I ask.  "I saw Michelle earlier and she was looking for you but I couldn't find you to let you know."

Tanya smiles at me, but it's sad.  Worn.  "She just told me that she feels let down."  Tanya sighs and I see the pain she's trying to ignore.  "She makes me feel so bad about everything."

"It was her choice," Emmy says, coming around me to hold Tanya's hand.  "We all know how stubborn she is.  You offered to help her but she refused."

"Why's she still here?" I ask suddenly. 

Tanya sighs again.  "She's being interviewed for this episode too.  Don't worry, I've spoken to Jeremy and you can pull out of the interview if you want to."

I frown.  We've already taken part in our interview.  Unless.

"Neither of us knew that she'd be here as well," Tanya says. "The show thought it would be a good idea to interview you and her together."

"I've got nothing to say to her," I say, my tone cold.  I try to settle myself again.  Michelle's still Tanya's daughter.  I don't want to say anything out of turn that'll upset her.

I call Vince and Ollie over so I can explain to them what's happening. 

"Let's get our coats then," Vince says the moment I've finished speaking.  "There's no point hanging around."

Ollie doesn't say anything but I spot a look of determination on Emmy's face.

"No," she says.  "I think we need this.  It's fate."  She smiles, knowing we're all thinking the same thing; everything is fate or karma to her, but we still listen.  "One final meeting.  We can talk things out.  At least try."

I can feel a resistance building inside of me but I know that Emmy's right.  We can't run from this forever. This could be what we all need.  A chance to be honest with each other.  I don't like the thought of hearing what Michelle has to say, especially not in front of cameras, but at least in a controlled environment she can't be too horrible.  At least, I'd like to think that's the case.

After a half hour to think about it, Emmy seems to have talked everyone around.  It's not an appealing idea, sharing a stage with Michelle again, but it's for the best if it means we can all have a say.  Both sides of the story on view.  I just hope Michelle plays fair.

The stage becomes the setting for a showdown.  I'm praying there aren't any casualties.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

1.4M 49.5K 31
Ella never expected to steal the spotlight when she joined her famous brother's band on tour - or for Max, her childhood crush, to finally see her as...
803K 32.1K 63
What if the boy you crushed on your whole life wrote a song about you, and the song blew up to become your biggest hope and your worst reminder? Kat...
3.3K 821 42
A 90's Friday Night Lights meets Fifty Shades, only the town is the sadomasochist and the two young lovers their pawns. July Elizabeth Edwards is stu...
34.6K 2.1K 65
Izzy Taylor. Plain tomboy Arts geek Music lover. All her life Izzy has seen herself as quite boring. She likes her arts, her music and her two best f...