63 - Sam

Dedicated to XxAubreyxX!  Congrats to avacadosandme for guessing a plotline :)  Enjoy!

Emmy and Alex are lounging on the sofas when I get back from lunch at Kevin's.  I'd been home alone in the flat.  Ollie and Vince have gone out shopping as well; something about finding outfits to help Vince pick up chicks.  I'd just rolled my eyes and enjoyed the silence for a bit once they'd left, but after a while the quiet had been counter-productive.  Instead of helping me think of lyrics to write for the new song that Tanya wants to hear within the next week, I'd been distracted by thoughts of Emmy. 

Her smile.  Her eyes.  Her hair.  Her legs.  Anything and everything about her had filled my thoughts, leaving me with a blank page in my notebook and an aching feeling in the chest.  I hate not having her close and everything had made me come to the conclusion that staying just friends is the most awful idea in the history of the universe.  I just like her too much to see her with anyone else.

Sure, we'd decided that we'd wait until the right time, but I can't help pondering on the outcomes where she ends up with some guy who sweeps her off her feet when I'm not around, busy writing or recording music.  Not letting her out of my sight isn't an option when I'm pretty certain that my feelings have progressed to love.  The L word had scared me at first, but now it feels right in my head, sitting nicely in my heart and ready to sound like a lullaby on my tongue.

"Hey, Sam!" Emmy exclaims, sitting up as I come around to sit opposite her.  She grins.  "This is Alex."

Alex gives me a friendly smile and a wave.   I note her fiery red hair and her blue-green eyes.  "Nice to finally meet you."

I nod in response.  "It's great to meet one of Emmy's friends."

"You mean my only friend," Emmy replies.

I cock an eyebrow and clutch at my t-shirt.  "I thought I was your friend," I say, feigning hurt even though the word tastes bitter on my tongue.  Boyfriend would taste so much sweeter.

She grins again, her eyes sparkling.  "Sure.  Whatever floats your boat."

I laugh at the same time that she snorts and Alex looks between the both of us with a wry smile.  Emmy doesn't seem to notice.  Alex is sitting up, inspecting a jumper that I'm guessing she's bought while out shopping, and Emmy is lounging on the sofa, her feet in Alex's lap.  I can't help wishing that it was me that Emmy was lounging against.  I'd love the feel of her body so close to mine.  The smell of her shampoo in my nose and her hands on my skin.

Alex catches me looking at Emmy and I move my eyes to the kitchen, just as Ollie and Vince come through the front door.  They're both carrying shopping bags and Vince is laughing about something that Ollie's just said.

"Honestly," Vince says, his eyes creasing up as he fights to speak through his chuckles.  "She was like-"

He pauses, his eyes widening as he openly stares at the three of us.  I can't help noticing how his gaze is on Alex more than Emmy or me.  I smirk into my hands, getting up to inspect what they've bought.  Vince is still standing in the doorway and it takes a shove from Ollie to get him to step into the room properly.

"Like what?" Ollie asks, kicking off his shoes and hanging up his coat.

Vince shakes his head.  His blonde hair is windswept, pushed over to one side, and his face is flushed.  From the cold weather or embarrassment I'm not quite sure, but I'm leaning towards the latter, which is amusing as Vince never blushes.  Ever.

"Like nothing," he says, his voice cracking a little and now I know he's definitely embarrassed.  He leans down to take off his shoes, moving his shopping bags to one hand, before he heads straight to his room.