The Guide to Wattpad (& Creat...

By _Sophie_Isobel

Since 2013, this Wattpad Guide has offered writers, just like you, helpful writing tips & techniques, across... More

Welcome to the Community!
Reads: How to get more
Follower Counts Don't Matter: Here's why
Profile: How to format a good one (profile pic, cover photo & bio)
Front Cover
Votes
Writers Block: Tips on Getting Inspired Again
Title
Story Description
Comments
Wattpad's Reading Algorithm
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
Naming Characters
Starting a Story
Reads to Votes Ratio
Story Structure
Reading Requests + Promoting Work
Plot Twists
Describing Action Scenes
Hooks
Character Deaths
Rankings and Tags
Rule of Three + Alliteration
Endings
Deleting a Story
Character Interactions
Describing Surroundings
Homonyms (E.g. 'there', 'their' and 'they're'- what's the difference?)
Planning
Developing Relatable Characters
Word Count Goals
Descriptive Writing
Character Design
Pacing
Speech
Filler Chapters (the Con's)
Humour
Upload Schedules
Genre
Author's Notes
Passive and Active Voice
1st, 2nd, 3rd Person; Limited + Omniscient
Top 3 Most Important Writing Tips
Finding Individual Voice
Can you get Paid by Wattpad?
Editing + Re-editing
Word Class
Switching Perspectives
Wattpad Writing Competitions
Character Consistency + Distinctive Traits
Consistency is Key
Synonyms + Antonyms
Consistent Story Voice + Theme/s
Sentence Types
Similes + Metaphors
Protagonist v Antagonist
Sentence Structures
Any Suggestions?

Over/Under Describing

619 35 7
By _Sophie_Isobel

When you start to writing, you'll realise you won't need to narrate every hour of a characters day. It's necessary for an ever-building plot to quicken the pace and become more relevant as you go. This means the descriptive aspect of a story decreases significantly. Characters and places for example, don't need describing more than once, and even then the initial description could be brief but still effective.

My reason for writing this chapter is because I find I almost always over-describe scenes. But if you choose the right descriptors, you don't necessarily need chunks of description alone. From reading, I've found that the books I enjoy jump straight into plot-lines. And that when I'm gripped into reading a story, I end up feeling annoyed like the description's got in the way. I understand that some books or writers might favour description to action, but over-describing characters and places Etc. and not focusing enough on a progressing plot means there's meat but no bones.

Over-description could be solved by planning what's going to happen in a chapter you are yet to write or editing parts you've written and possibly summerising what's happening/happened per chapter.

But, you shouldn't under-describe either. Enough detail should be given that the reader can visualise what you're describing but then move on to actions. Nicely written description should open a chapter, followed by plot hooks, because they're the main a reader will stay gripped.

Either way, feedback on published chapters as well as re-reading your stories should help the balance.

Do you ever find yourself over or under-describing?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 263 29
Don't Wattpad alone, Wattpad with me! Wattpad like me! Wattpad better than me!
93.7K 5.6K 15
Your book sucks. There, I said what nobody else has the guts to tell you. But it doesn't have to. Let's you and I take a look at why your book sucks...
287 21 6
The Wattpad Guide to getting thousands of reads! First, readers have to SEE your books before they can READ them. This short guide shows you how...
3.8K 342 23
As the title says, a safe space for you and I to share anything related to writing. I'll share mine, you share yours. Let's help each other and grow...