Diary of a College Senior

By linni_writes

This is a diary from my senior year of college. It is a journey of pain & healing, self-discovery, and growin... More

Sept 10 - Maybe we'll head to Australia.
Sept 12 - Head vs. Heart
Sept 14 - Side projects over school.
Sept 15 - What I'm doing this year.
Sept 16 - Gratitude
Sept 18 - Deadline Pranks
Sept 19 - Three hours in the rain
Sept 25 - Day Highlights
Sept 28 - Factory Tour
Sept 29 - Friday Night Plans
Oct 2 - How to Find a Lab Partner
Oct 9 - Why is it so hard to keep up on school work?
Oct 12 - Nobody knows WTH they want to do.
Oct 15 - Nothing according to plan.
Oct 17 - Midterm Mode is turning into a disaster.
Oct 19 - The Story of the Guinea Pig Club
Oct 21 - Study date at the library.
Oct 29 - 10 Facts About Me
Nov 1 - Tough decisions and bittersweet goodbyes.
Nov 2 - No love in this house.
Nov 6 - Book Smart or Life Smart
Nov 9 - Summer plans with the girls.
Nov 11 - Bargain shopping at Sears
Nov 16 - Music and Discoveries
Nov 19 - New Dog in the House
Nov 23 - New Dog in the House (Con't)
Nov 26 - The Roads Not Taken
Nov 29 - Another Rejection to the List
Dec 2 - In the Holiday Spirit
Dec 4 - Visiting a Winter Night Garden
Dec 12 - I Need My Space
Dec 13 - Money Problems
Dec 19 - Bedridden for Days
Dec 22 - A Lonely Semester Ahead
Dec 24 - Merry Christmas the 24th
Dec 31 - Cancun Notes
Dec 31 - Cancun Sketches
Jan 1 - Vacation Hangover
Jan 3 - Being Social Again
Jan 7 - Last Day of Winter Break
Jan 8 - Back to Research
Jan 13 - To Go or Not To Go?
Jan 15 - Sleeplessness
Jan 20 - Summer Plans, Again
Jan 23 - A Day in the Life
Feb 1 - Pen Pals and More Woes
Feb 5 - Out of the Rut
Feb 7 - A Day in the Life (Pt. 2)
Feb 9 - Stella Visits
Feb 12 - Cindy's Last Weekend
Feb 15 - Heart-to-Heart
Feb 17 - Dreaming of Amsterdam
Feb 22 - A Week Off
Feb 26 - Confessions of a Commitment-Phobe
March 8 - Rant, and a Catch-up
March 9 - A Nice Day
March 11 - Sunday With Zoe
March 21 - Beginning of the End
March 24 - Where Did Your Morals Go?
March 27 - Some Have It All
March 30 - Three Things
March 31 - A Depressive Bout
April 4 - The Last Straw
April 10 - The People I Want to Keep in Touch With
April 16 - Beef
April 19 - Slow Songs
April 22 - Plans, Studying, and Friends
April 25 - Last Exam
April 30 - Adult Friendships
Author's Note

Oct 13 - Tea time with a stranger.

23 4 6
By linni_writes

Friday, October 13, 2017

Today I had my first tea time with a stranger. This is all because of a mental health program I signed up to volunteer for.

The concept of the program is very simple. Basically, you will be the host of an hour-long tea time. Your profile will be put online so other students can book a tea time with you. The two of you will both get a free drink to sip and chat about anything and everything.

After my class ended at 2 pm, I went to the info desk inside SUB building wearing my volunteer t-shirt and two empty mugs to meet up with the 'client'.

Sandy arrived right on time. She is a short, rather bookish looking girl who is a little on the heavier side. She was a little nervous talking to me at first. But after we grabbed our drinks (she chose coffee and I got a tea) and sat down, she began to open up a bit.

I had been trained during the volunteer training sessions to let the 'client' drive the conversation. So I asked, "Are there anything, in particular, you want to talk about today?"

Sandy nodded and replied, "Yeah. You see, I'm an international exchange student and I've been feeling a bit lonely lately."

I told her I totally understand what she means, and that I had experienced similar feelings when I did an internship abroad last summer. From here, our conversation really started to flow. We talked about anything and everything, from our experiences living in racist small towns to our plans for the future to choosing a relationship versus your freedom.

The most memorable story Sandy told me was how a person at her school with two master degrees and a Ph.D. degree finally got what he thought was his dream high-paying job in consulting. But after eight months of work, he realized he was so bored all day every day so he quit to start a burger restaurant.

"What?!" I exclaimed when I heard it.

"Yes, he opened a burger restaurant," Sandy confirmed again as I couldn't believe my ears. "He called it Dr. T Burger Labs."

I couldn't stop laughing because I thought the whole thing was just so hilarious. According to Sandy, people also stop by his burger place to hear this Dr. T's life story.

We also talked about our relationships and Sandy told me she broke up with a guy she really liked two years ago because she wanted to travel and see the world but he didn't want her to.

I thought that must be so hard to do, choosing freedom over the heart. I told Sandy I have never really been in a serious relationship before because I have always loved the appeal of freedom over attachment. Though that may slowly change now as I am getting older.

We were so engaged in our conversations that we ended up going 15 minutes overtime. Luckily, she and I both had nothing else scheduled after so we could afford to stay longer.

As I said goodbye to Sandy, I told her that it'll be great to see her again and get some updates on her life. I also hope she had a great time as well and want to book with me again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322 0 18
this is the story about my life sorta. i have always hated my life so im writing it but with my own twists and turns. a lot of it will be the truth t...
411K 4.6K 112
STOP READING THIS started sometime in 2019 ended april 2021 just old, cringey & unrevised one-shots i wrote at 3am PLEASE READ MY SCENARIOS OR SHORTS...
9 0 1
A coming of age story about the trials of the last days of college, and dealing with more personal aspects of life as well.
1.5K 27 38
This is a personal diary of an anonymous girl online. The start is rough and cringy, but it's a journal. This is the first part of my life for every...