Dec 24 - Merry Christmas the 24th

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Since Cindy is staying in the city by herself over the holiday, I invited her over to my house yesterday so she can join in the celebrations.

Mom and dad prepared a hot pot lunch with the typical sesame sauce, boiling pot over a gas fire, and plates of vegetables and slices of meat. Even though I have never been a fan of hot pot because of all the meats, we always eat it during the holiday season so it was nice to enjoy some tradition.

After lunch, Cindy and I sat on the couch and watched random shows on T.V. while mom and dad went away for their afternoon naps. At around 4, Zoe left for a sleepover at her friend's house so the house became quieter. Cindy and I got bored of watching the T.V. so we played Blokus on the iPad, us against the computer (we kept winning!).

By the time Cindy left, it was after supper and large chunks of snow were drifting down from the sky. Everything was blanketed in a layer of white - looks like we will have a white Christmas after all!

Sure enough, this morning when I woke up, there was a layer of fresh snow covering our lawn, the sidewalk, all the trees, and our summer furniture strewn around the backyard. Zoe was still at her friend's house so it was quieter than usual.

For the majority of the day, I hung around the house doing little bits of cleaning and packing here and there. Dad, Zoe, and I were scheduled to fly into Cancun the morning of the 25th so I had to make sure we had everything we need.

After much deliberation, I decided not to bring the iPad or the laptop so I can enjoy a few days away from being connected. It feels weird though, travelling without my electronics, but I think I will survive.

Other items I have decided to bring on the trip are: The New Yorker magazine Christmas edition which came last week, my Kobo eReader, my favourite kimono dress, a mint green romper, white jean shorts, my flowy blue crochet top, magenta workout leggings, a long grey tunic, a pink pleated skirt, a black top, my summer pajamas, a floppy hat, and of course, the usual toiletries.

When Zoe finally came home at around 3 pm, everyone decided to open the presents since we won't have time to do it tomorrow. Silly dad bought two identical coats from Aritzia, one for Zoe and the other one for me. What he doesn't know is Aritzia isn't a kid's clothing store, and Zoe will have to wait at least two more years before she can fit into the beautiful caramel-coloured coat made of the finest Italian wool. The size he also got for me was too big and the sleeves hung down sloppily. Looks like I will have to return it when I got back and pick something out for myself instead.

It's past midnight now and we are leaving early tomorrow morning. I should get some sleep.