Light

By SomeChickOlley

Holly Dalvin is tired of her suffocating life, and decides to leave her dysfunctional family, failing grades... More

Chapter 1: Streetlight
Chapter 2: Candlelight
Chapter 3: Lamplight
Chapter 4: Moonlight
Chapter 5: Starlight
Chapter 6: Limelight
Chapter 7: Flashlight
Chapter 8: Floodlight
Chapter 9: Red light
Chapter 10: Firelight
Chapter 11: Headlight
Chapter 12: Black light
Chapter 13: Sunlight
Chapter 14: Lighthouse
Chapter 15: Lightning
Chapter 16: Firefly
Chapter 17: Fireworks
Chapter 18: Lightbulb
Chapter 19: Lava
Chapter 20: Laser
Chapter 21: Lantern
Chapter 23: Diamonds
Josh

Chapter 22: Meteor

129 6 0
By SomeChickOlley

"For the fifth time, I'm not going to play the damsel in distress!" 

I crossed my arms in a huff, not caring if I was ruining the plan.

"But it'll be more believable, because you're the only one who can't actually swim! And you're easy to carry, so quit being such a whiny b–" 

The cushion I threw hit Josh right in the face, stopping his rant.

"Kai carried you up the stairs easily as well, and you're a good actor, so why can't you be the one to get dumped in the lake and play the helpless victim?" 

I was caught Darius shrugging at Dad, who was starting to frown. He looked tired. Dad had spent the last few hours setting up his 'business', and doing a load of paperwork, because he still had trust issues with computers. Dad took a moment before speaking, and I felt bad for making his job more difficult.

"Holly, remember the purpose behind this – we're convincing Larissa's Dad that The Hessians are good guys. If he sees them helping his own daughter, it will instantly boost their reputation. Rumours will help The Hessians good reputation even more, they'll be like Robin Hood. I'm not asking you to play the victim to show that girls are weak or anything." 

Dad's frankly stated admission calmed me down a little.

"But, what if I drown for real Dad? I can't swim!"

"Don't doubt my abilities," Kai coldly interjected.

The Ice King had decided I was worthy of a sentence. It took more self control than I was willing to admit, to not roll my eyes at his stern face. According to the plan, Larissa and I would go shopping, and on the way back the car will get stopped by Darius. We'll be chased to Purslane park, be pushed into the lake by them, and get rescued by Kai, Luke and Stephan. So annoyingly cliche, but it'd work to boost The Hessians reputation.

"I'm not! What are you talking about? You'll be getting Larissa out, Stephan is the one who'll be helping me," I really wanted to add something about how Kai didn't listen to the plan properly, but I didn't want to make him look bad in front of everyone. Luke was already smirking at me when he thought Kai wasn't looking. Stephan was looking uncomfortable, but he kept a smile on his face.

Every time Kai spoke it annoyed me, and the fact that he would rescue Larissa made me a tiny bit jealous. I was trying to get over it but knowing her, she would be drooling all over him after. Especially since Kai would be at school as a student. He'll become her new squeeze, and I'll be there in the back, invisible as usual.

Darius jumped up and clapped his hands, drawing all the attention to himself. "Okay, let's go over the fight. Ready Holly?"

Instantly, I lost all bravado I had when sassing Kai and felt horribly self conscious. I managed to smile weakly, and Darius walked over to the corner of the living room. Thankfully, Dad began going over his fake backstory to ensure everyone had the same version in their head, so no one was looking in my direction. 

"So it's going to be three moves. First, I'm going to threaten you with the switchblade, then have you in a choke, and from there I'll drop you into the lake. Let's go through it," Darius took out a pen from his pocket and thrust it at me.

I flinched instinctively and raised my hands. Darius could no doubt do a lot of damage with just a pen, he was wielding it like a real blade.

"I thought you'd be more worried about me seriously hurting you during the fight," he said with smile.

"I don't doubt your abilities," I said pointedly, feeling Kai's stare burning a hole in my back.

Darius rushed at me all of a sudden and I shrieked. Blushing with embarrassment at myself, I tried to recover and remember what the next move was. I wouldn't stand a chance if I was ever attacked in real life.

"Remember to push your chin down onto my hand, it needs to look like you're choking," Darius said as he roughly grabbed my neck, but kept the pressure light. "Then we count to five – with the Mississippi's." 

Darius swung me by my hoodie so my back was against his chest, and lifted me in the air. It was almost effortless, like Darius was holding a chair up, and I thanked God that this wasn't a real situation, because I really would have no chance against someone like Darius. I looked over at the others still huddled together over papers and felt vulnerable. Any one of them could hurt me, easily. Adrian already gave me the creeps, I wouldn't trust him for a second.  

"Okay so from here, I'll let you go into the lake," Darius said as he lightly placed me on the floor. 

I flopped and wriggled around unenthusiastically, miming drowning. It actually got a laugh from Luke who had been peeking over at us throughout the meeting. 

"Good! And that's when Kai, Stephan and Luke will come onto the scene – but let's go through this a few more times until you're sure you'll remember."

Darius offered his hand, and I let myself be pulled up. 

"It's like a dance, so we'll keep going over it until it's part of your muscle memory. This will help as in the moment you might freeze."

We ran through the moves three more times, and by the fifth time we had an audience. I was beyond nervous with all the extra pairs of eyes watching, but I completed the choreography without making a mistake.

Dad clapped me on the back as I drowned in the pretend lake. 

"Great work Holly! Luke, let's add your part in too, so everyone knows what to expect – you'll go for Darius head on," Dad conducted the scene like a traffic warden, and Luke lunged at Darius grabbing his shirt. "Kai you'll help Larissa out of the lake, and Stephan you get Holly out."

As Stephan began pulling me, I dropped my weight and he raised his eyebrows in an amused smirk.

"I'm making it realistic, I'll be heavier when I'm drenched so," I shrugged innocently.

Stephan scooped me up in one strong pull, and spun me over to his other arm. "Just drying you off," he replied with a smile, his accent making the words take on new meanings.

I blushed, hoping no one caught on and Stephan let go of me. But nothing escaped Kai's attention, his face was sour and I looked away quickly.

"Very realistic, thank you for the dazzling display," Kai said in the deadest monotone voice.

The moment officially broken, Stephan stepped back and I looked to Josh out of habit, only to see him smirking with a knowing look. I avoided his eyes too.

"Make sure you know the plan well, keep practising until you don't have to think about the next move, it should come naturally. Josh, I'm more worried about you in that aspect. Stick to the practised drill only, keep repeating the moves with Luke – Kai, oversee it. Darius and Stephan you can leave after you're happy with the results."

"Where are you going Dad?" I asked as he took his phone out.

"I need to see Agent Teresa in HQ, I'll be back up in a while. I know you don't like this, but it's crucial for the success of the mission, it's all for your's and Josh's protection. Just trust Darius and when he thinks you're ready, you can leave."

"I just don't know if Larissa will even want to come with us Dad. Our plan hinges on her saying yes," I said worriedly.

Dad smiled knowingly as he put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "You may be surprised at how people change when you treat them with kindness that they don't expect. I know Larissa will say yes, because I know you are kind."

I smiled with a little pride at Dad's compliment. He kissed the top of my head before I could thank him and left the room. As I walked back over to the guys, who had all taken a water break, I couldn't help but think of Larissa's troubled life. I sighed as I remembered the mean things I'd said to her. 

She'd never accept my kindness after that, would she?

"Penny for your thoughts?" Darius asked light-heartedly.

"Ah, yeah I'm just thinking about how I'm going to get Larissa to agree to come with us in the first place."

"It would've been simple if she had a crush on your brother," Luke added as Josh narrowed his eyes.

"No way would I want someone like her to be interested in me, no thanks."

Stephan walked back into the room with a freshly filled jug of water. "How about something she is interested in then?" he put the jug down and smiled at me.

I thought for a moment. "I've only ever really seen her interested in makeup to be honest, but I don't know for sure. She's always wearing nice clothes and stuff too," I racked my brain but I couldn't think of anything else.

"Hey, how about going shopping with her?" Luke said excitedly.

"You won't be invited Luke so calm down. And, I don't think Larissa would wanna be seen with us. Have you seen her friends? I could buy a car by selling the bags they carry," Josh said bitterly.

"Then you'll need to look the part," Kai said.

Everyone went quiet, as usual. Kai had a way of sucking the life out of most conversations, but it was his tone that really jolted people. Luke looked warily at me, and even Josh looked to me to reply. Suddenly I was the spokesperson, the only one permitted to respond. 

But Stephan sensed my hesitation and walked over to sit on my left on the sofa. 

"Once you're kitted out in the latest fashion, and have all the new makeup, she'll definitely want to be seen with you," he said with a smile.

"But then why would I want to go back to Purslane? There are so many better places we could go to, especially when money isn't an issue."

Darius nodded on my right, "Think like her – why would Larissa want to go back if she was in your situation?"

"To show off," Josh and I said in unison.

"There you have it," Darius said proudly.

"So, we'll need to go shopping right away then!" Stephan said as he put an arm around my shoulders good-naturedly. 

The casual touch calmed my nerves and I smiled, grateful for the gesture.

"Well, all of us can't go," Kai's bitter tone returned to kill the good vibes.

"I think it'll be better if we do go though, no?" Luke suggested tentatively holding the back of his neck nervously.

Darius nodded thoughtfully before speaking, "I think if we all go as a group it is better. More eyes and ears – that way if anyone does see Larissa and her friends we'll be on the lookout and hide, leaving Josh and Holly, so they don't suspect anything."

"No one at the school has seen me around, so I'm probably the best option to stick with Holly and Josh," Stephan said.

"That'll raise more suspicion. I've already been seen at their school, with Holly, so it makes more sense if I'm seen with them now," Kai said with more coldness than usual.

I swallowed immediately tensing for an argument to ensue. Darius chimed in, "Don't forget that we'll be going into the expensive shopping centre, The Billage. So, we'll need to blend in and look the part. I'll ask Adrian to send us Larissa's whereabouts before we leave, just so we know where to avoid."

Darius's age automatically made him seem more authoritative, and Kai backed down. Stephan was still tensed, the muscles in his arm taut against the back of my neck. Without thinking, I touched his chest lightly, he looked at me, slightly surprised and I gave him a small smile. He relaxed and took his arm off my shoulders.

"Well, I should go get my suit then! Don't know if I'll find a briefcase though," he said back to usual self.

Darius stood too, "Luke?"

Luke laughed embarrassedly, "Ah yeah the closest I've got to a suit is a really smart trench coat jacket – will that be enough?"

"What about shoes?" Darius asked, only to be given another nervous laugh from Luke.

"If you're a size ten, you can borrow mine," Josh offered.

Luke fist-bumped him and gave a salute, "I'm a ten!"

"Well, that leaves me," I said sheepishly.

"And me," Kai added frostily.

I ignored him, getting annoyed at his moodiness.

"You'll look fine in whatever you wear Holly, you'll get some clothes as soon as we get in though so you can always change," Stephan said, earning him a genuine smile from me.

Kai wasn't amused as he stood up more dramatically than needed.

"I'll inform Tsavaras about the change of plan."

The Billage was huge, shiny and squeaky clean. I was scared of slipping on the polished floors, and held Josh in a death-grip.

"Ow! Holly, that's the second time you've stepped on my toes!"

"I didn't mean to! Have you tried walking in bloody heels on a floor that's slippery?!"

I pulled at the shiny designer dress, and awkwardly blinked as my eyelashes felt heavier than usual. I didn't know makeup could actually weigh down the eyes. Darius had two 'business' credit cards and was encouraging us to buy the most flashiest outfits available. Josh was decked out in a new Armani suit and a watch to match. His new shoes were worth more than our monthly bill at Purslane, and Josh wore them well, fitting into the new role of rich kid easily, unlike me.

"I swear Holly, if you do it once more I won't let you hold me like a walking stick!"

We were drawing stares from the shoppers around, who to be fair weren't walking around with suited and booted guys who looked like bodyguards. I didn't look at anyone and focused on not tripping over my own heeled feet. We probably wouldn't have garnered any attention if there only a few of us, but Mission Shopping was in motion and despite how funny it sounded, there was really a real threat to our lives, especially Josh's. 

I felt as if the dress was riding higher with each step I took and I yanked it down, almost losing my balance, but I held onto Josh's arm and stepped on his shoes. Again.

He dropped my arm without a second glance, catching up with Luke and Darius who were a few steps ahead. I wobbled on the six inch heels before getting steadied gently.

"Thanks Stephan," I said to his smiling face.

He was wearing a dark blue suit, and a crispy white shirt. He looked good in the change of attire.

Stephan's expression melted into seriousness as he listened to the message that I could also hear in my in-ear piece. Darius spoke calmly but there was urgency in his tone.

"Larissa has left the Cafe, she'll be shopping around the area soon, stay alert."

"Here's the jewellery shop, go inside Holly. Stephan and Kai, hang back for now."

Kai's irritated voice replied instantly, "I'm running the operation Darius, thank you for your input however I will remain with the targets and send Stephan back to you. Fan out, and keep an eye out for all the people on the list. Understood?"

After a moment's silence, Darius agreed as did Luke and Stephan.

Stephan let go of my arm reluctantly and I slowed my pace. Kai walked forward, falling in step with me and I focused on walking carefully, so I wouldn't slip and need to hold his arm. I didn't want to accept his help at all. He walked on slightly ahead of me, and I felt like he really was my bodyguard.

I was almost at the entrance of the jewellery shop when I heard Darius through the in-ear.

"Target spotted, nearing your location Holly."

Panic rose in my chest as i tried to walk faster, but it was a bad idea as I almost instantly slipped. 

Instead of hitting the ground though my shoulders were held in a gentle grip, and I heaved a sigh of relief. Josh had a heart after all. The smile melted from my face when I saw that it was Kai who had saved me yet again.

His dark eyes seemed to shine and I stared into them trying to find the source of the light, but his lips lifted into a half-smile and I lost my train of thought.

"At least you don't need ice this time," he said lightly.

I laughed nervously, remembering how soft Kai's hands had been as he pulled me up from the ground that day. He linked my arm in his and we walked into the shop together.

My heart betrayed me as it thumped happily, content with Kai being so close to me.

I actually have no words to express how grateful I am to every one of my readers, I truly appreciate you all. 

Thank you so much your support, patience and for reading! <3 Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter :)

Please make me aware of any mistakes, or anything that could be explained in a better way! I always appreciate suggestions for improvements so feel free to comment!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them~ Walt Disney

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...