The Guide to Wattpad (& Creat...

Da _Sophie_Isobel

Since 2013, this Wattpad Guide has offered writers, just like you, helpful writing tips & techniques, across... Altro

Welcome to the Community!
Reads: How to get more
Follower Counts Don't Matter: Here's why
Profile: How to format a good one (profile pic, cover photo & bio)
Front Cover
Votes
Writers Block: Tips on Getting Inspired Again
Title
Story Description
Comments
Wattpad's Reading Algorithm
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
Naming Characters
Starting a Story
Reads to Votes Ratio
Story Structure
Reading Requests + Promoting Work
Plot Twists
Describing Action Scenes
Hooks
Character Deaths
Rankings and Tags
Rule of Three + Alliteration
Endings
Deleting a Story
Character Interactions
Describing Surroundings
Homonyms (E.g. 'there', 'their' and 'they're'- what's the difference?)
Planning
Developing Relatable Characters
Descriptive Writing
Character Design
Pacing
Speech
Filler Chapters (the Con's)
Humour
Upload Schedules
Genre
Author's Notes
Passive and Active Voice
Over/Under Describing
1st, 2nd, 3rd Person; Limited + Omniscient
Top 3 Most Important Writing Tips
Finding Individual Voice
Can you get Paid by Wattpad?
Editing + Re-editing
Word Class
Switching Perspectives
Wattpad Writing Competitions
Character Consistency + Distinctive Traits
Consistency is Key
Synonyms + Antonyms
Consistent Story Voice + Theme/s
Sentence Types
Similes + Metaphors
Protagonist v Antagonist
Sentence Structures
Any Suggestions?

Word Count Goals

4K 111 62
Da _Sophie_Isobel

For me, having a goal of 2000 words per chapter gives enough guidance to be able to write a decent amount about not a lot (focusing more on description rather than content). If I didn't have this guideline, I think my chapters would be too uneven and the pace of the story stunted.

Obviously, it all depends on your own writing style, what you're writing about and how much writing experience you have. I just try to stick to 2000 because I feel those length chapters would print well in a book, which would be a long term goal once I've finished the story.

Although, if you've set a specific word count per chapter and you haven't yet reached it, but the chapter is building up to a natural close, there may be no point in prolonging just to achieve a certain number. That way, the chapter may drag on and so your writing could become less exciting.

For me it's to maintain consistency between chapters. I chose 2,000 because I'd be aiming for 50,000 words in the overall book and over 25 chapters. The specific word count also act as a plan for me. I know the plot of my story (obviously), but by applying a word count I know not to reveal too much in one chapter and get carried away- again trying to focus more on the description in my writing than the content and action.

However, I suppose it might not really matter how chapter lengths vary and the contrast of long and short chapters can have an effect of their own. I've noticed this is used a lot in crime novels, where there's one perspective of the detectives and another of the person they might be trying to find (their chapters shorter).

Do you plan a word count? And is so, what's yours?

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

93.7K 5.6K 15
Your book sucks. There, I said what nobody else has the guts to tell you. But it doesn't have to. Let's you and I take a look at why your book sucks...
16.3K 998 25
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Part 2 of 100 Things. For those of you who've missed Part 1 (mainly dealing with the creation and sustaining of tens...
276 8 29
I wrote and read Fanfiction for five years. In these five years, I learned many things. But these is still a lot to learn for me. To celebrate my fiv...
111K 2.8K 33
[Completed ↓] U N D E R E D I T I N G → Day in, day out I find myself struggling to write. Until I stumbled across some guides to help me...