ShadowSong [Book 1 & 2: Compl...

By Skyhuntress

Almost a year ago, Olivia Shadowheart and Jason Frostsong had to figure out how to protect a city from its ow... More

Chapter 1 - When the Bells Chime
Chapter 2 - In the Silence
Chapter 3 - Moral Support
Chapter 4 - Mission Accepted
Chapter 5 - Punishment
Chapter 6 - Miscommunication
Chapter 7 - The Difference Between
Chapter 8 - Runner
Chapter 9 - Into The Dark
Chapter 10 - Shimmer
Chapter 11 - What It Means
Chapter 12 - To Be A Luminary
Chapter 13 - By The Auroras
INTERLUDE, PART I
Chapter 14 - What Could Go Wrong
Chapter 15 - Like Lightning
Chapter 16 - Thunder Follows
Chapter 17 - Called Out
Chapter 18 - Offerings
Chapter 19 - When Futures Touch
Chapter 20 - Too Quick To Judge
Chapter 21 - Break
INTERMISSION FOR FLUFF
Chapter 22 - Bedtime Interruptions
Chapter 23 - Intervention
Chapter 24 - Bonding
Chapter 25 - Back and Forth
Chapter 26 - Suspicion
Chapter 27 - Three Days Later
Chapter 28 - Acting
Chapter 29 - Falls
Chapter 30 - Attraction
Chapter 31 - The Chime of the Temple Bells
Chapter 32 - Competition
Chapter 33 - Coping Strategies
Chapter 34 - Difference In Persuasions
Chapter 35 - In The Way
Chapter 36 - Mercy
Chapter 37 - That Which Was Broken, Part I
Chapter 38 - That Which Was Broken, Part II
INTERLUDE, PART II <START BOOK 2>
Chapter 39 - A New Dawn
Chapter 40 - The Simple Things
Chapter 41 - Forcing Involvement
Chapter 42 - An Innocent Thief
Chapter 43 - The Weight of Failure
Chapter 44 - Driven By Doubt
Chapter 45 - Patterns
Chapter 46 - When the Scales Tip
Chapter 47 - Passing Notes
Chapter 48 - Together Though Apart, Part I
Chapter 48 - Together Though Apart, Part II
Chapter 49 - Duty
Chapter 50 - An Unexpected Request
Chapter 51 - Poisoned Fear
Chapter 52 - Not To Plan
Chapter 53 - Distracted
Chapter 54 - On Fury's Trail
Chapter 55 - Take Down
Chapter 56 - Fury and Shadow
Chapter 57 - When Sunrise Comes
Chapter 58 - A Dance of Words and Shoes
Chapter 59 - A Second Partner
Chapter 60 - Wearing Thin
Chapter 61 - The Shadows See All
Chapter 62 - Discord In Harmony
Chapter 63 - Morning Frost
Chapter 64 - What We Play For, Part I
Chapter 64 - What We Play For, Part II
Chapter 65 - Thieving From A Thief
Chapter 66 - Hide And Seek
Chapter 67 - Advice
Chapter 68 - A Canvas Possessed
Chapter 69 - Kindred Spirits
Chapter 70 - Hard Decisions
Chapter 72 - Unexpected Guests
Chapter 73 - Falling
Chapter 74 - Accusations and Flowers
Chapter 75 - Kept Out
Chapter 76 - To A Melody of Light
Chapter 77 - The Uncertain Truths
Chapter 78 - With Both Halves on Fire
Chapter 79 - Something Will Burn
Chapter 80 - Ashes of Failure
Chapter 81 - Not Yet Broken
Chapter 82 - A Subtle Shift
Chapter 83 - Favours
Chapter 84 - Sabotage
Chapter 85 - A Broken Spirit
Chapter 86 - An Unlikely Hero
Chapter 87 - A Memory of Shadow
Chapter 88 - Desperate Words
Chapter 89 - Trade
Chapter 90 - By Wing and Cloud
Chapter 91 - Enough
Chapter 92 - The Songs of the Broken
Chapter 93 - A Promise Kept
Chapter 94 - Daybreak
ASCEND, SUPER A/N OF SKYPILLAR!
[BOOK THREE: START]

Chapter 71 - Alternatives

2.4K 368 266
By Skyhuntress

Dread consumed Olivia's thoughts as Aurelia took the head of the room with a clap of her hands.

"Your attention, please!" she said, swivelling every head in the room towards her. "As some of you may know, the temple has several places along the canals reserved for those of us unable to shirk our duties in the morning period. Given the dedication of this group, one of those places has been reserved for the performance group, if you wish to join. A special lunch will be served, as well as snacks throughout the remainder of the afternoon. If you'll all gather your things, I'll be leading you there in ten minute's time!"

Olivia's heart sank right back down to the soles of her boots as the excited chatter overtook the room.

Starlight, she just wanted to swim with the others. She just wanted to be normal for two minutes without the risk of her body shutting down on her.

In a bout of deja vu, Ericka bounded over towards Olivia as she sat near Jason for the second time that day.

"Liv!" said Ericka. "Now I knowwww you said you weren't going to swim, buuut I mean, y'no, just on the off chance that you happen to change your mind, here!"

Ericka swept her hand out of the bag at her side to reveal the two-piece swimmers Olivia had commissioned at mates rates from her some months ago. The fabric was just as gorgeous as it'd been when she'd seen it on the rack. Red, grey, silver and black, it looked like dancing fire--but most importantly, it matched the colours of the tattoo on Olivia's chest if some were to poke through. As Ericka held the top piece up, Olivia knew that her request for a modest halter neck style had worked out. It was wide and secure enough to hide her tattoo perfectly.

"Ericka," breathed Olivia, taking the swimmers from her friend. Ericka had taken Olivia's crappy idea sketch and worked it into something amazing. "Wow. Wow. You outdid yourself, Rikky"

"Wow," said a voice behind Olivia, pitched forcefully high. "They're gorgeous, Rikky!"

Ericka narrowed her eyes, and even before Olivia turned, she knew who it was.

Naomi continued on, her hands at the side of her face. "Did you make them? They look so professional!"

"Yeah, I did make them," said Ericka in a flat voice. "For Olivia. Don't touch them, or I'll make the Starsong dress suffocate you."

Naomi dropped her voice back to its usual pitch as she raised one perfect, dark eyebrow. "Ouch, Ericka. That seems rather uncalled for, wouldn't you say? I come over here to compliment your work and you threaten my life."

Ericka gave Naomi a wicked smile as Olivia quietly folded the swimmers away into her bag. "Personally, I don't really see much of a life to threaten."

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Well, I was going to say that it's too bad your work is going to waste, Ericka, but nevermind that now. I guess it's going exactly where it deserves." Her lips curved up into a manicured smile. "Well, it was a good chat. I guess I'll see you all at the canals shortly. And Olivia? I just can't wait to see you in those swimmers. I bet they'll look simply amazing in the water."

Olivia's cheeks burned. "I'm not swimming and you know it, Naomi."

Naomi covered her mouth with one hand. "Oh? Whyever not? Why would you have such glorious swimmers commissioned if you weren't planning on using them? Or were you planning on it, and mummy and daddy dearest heard about the rollerblading competition and decided they couldn't risk their precious little Olive?"

Olivia hardened her glare to the same razor edge that honed Grief's blade. "At least my parents care enough about me to care whether I drown or not. Get lost before Ericka starts using you as her new mannequin."

"Well, with such uncivil language being passed around, I can't imagine any reason why I'd want to stay," said Naomi with a delicate sniff. "Jason, would you care to join me? I already know the spot, we could go together now if you wished to be away from these two girls."

Part of Olivia's gut clenched as she waited for Jason's answer.

He didn't even look up from his violin case as he replied. "No, thank you."

"Jason, please," said Naomi with an amused smirk. "You don't have to stay here to babysit Olivia today. I'm sure no one cares where she ends up."

Jason's gaze lifted and settled on Naomi. "I find myself quite content where I am at the moment, Shadowspeaker."

Naomi cleared her throat. "Well, as you wish. I'll see you at the canal soon then. Farewell!"

As Naomi turned around and left, Olivia bit down on the insides of her cheeks hard enough to keep the burning on her cheeks at bay.

"I can't believe her," said Ericka. "Even after all these years. You'd think she'd get over losing a talent competition."

Olivia forced a laugh. "Yeah. It seems ridiculous. Guess she'll never change."

Ericka jerked a thumb over her shoulder. "You wanna come sit with me for a bit until we're ready to leave?" She waggled her eyebrows. "We can try on your swimmers in the chaaaange roooom!"

"I'll pass," said Olivia. "Thanks Rikky."

"Okie dokie," said Ericka with a shrug. "See you at the canal!"

Ericka skipped off, and Olivia felt her brave face act crumbling down around her.

This shouldn't be so hard. It was just a swim, no matter how much she'd been looking forward to it. Now, she'd be watching it drift by--literally--and probably listening to Naomi's comments the entire time. It'd be so close, there, just waiting for her, the perfect spot, but she wouldn't be able to go in. She wouldn't, but Naomi, who'd never cared about the Bloom for anything but a chance to flit around the boys, would.

Olivia wiped a hand over her cheek and tried to get herself under control before Jason could see her crack.

"You know," said Jason quietly, his attention still on his violin case as he packed the instrument away. "I've never been particularly fond of group temple activities such as this swim. I was planning on going elsewhere in this rare afternoon off. Would you care to join me?"

Olivia glanced at Ericka, who'd found Ariel and a few others she'd made friends with. Even tall, balanced Ariel looked like she was thirteen again, her eyes wide and eager as they each ducked into the change rooms one after the other to put their swimmers on underneath.

Just watching them now, Olivia knew she couldn't do it for the rest of the afternoon.

She just nodded.

He hadn't been looking at her, but a few minutes later when his violin was packed, Jason led her to the Gleamer and a few minutes later, they were off. Olivia wasn't sure where they were going, but when Jason pulled up in front of a florist in central Sylrael, she was pretty sure they'd stopped at the wrong place.

Yet Jason parked the Gleamer and turned it off. He took off his helmet and walked around to the sidecar, offering her his hand. Slightly confused, Olivia accepted his assistance, passed over his violin case, put their helmets down and followed him inside.

The scent hit her as she walked through the doors. Hundreds of them in a complete and utter overload, all crowded and mixed together from the flowers displayed around the room. Every surface in the shop, from the counters around the walls to the tables that lined the centre, was absolutely covered in flowers. Cut flowers, potted flowers, bundled flowers, flowers with ribbons, flowers arranged so perfectly that every petal seemed to have its own spotlight. The room was nothing short of an explosion of colour.

"Jason!" said the old man behind the counter. He hustled in one of his assistants to his right that had been arranging a few flowers and began hobbling his way over towards where Jason stood. "It's good to see you, lad. I haven't seen you in a while, I was wondering when you were coming back!"

Jason reached out a hand, but to Olivia's surprise, Gerald ignored it and went straight for the hug.

"It's good to see you, Gerald," said Jason as he pulled away after a moment. "I've been rather busy, but I have the afternoon off from my temple duties today. I thought I'd stop by to see which flowers you've managed to kill this time."

Gerald laughed. "None, for your information." He cleared his throat. "Well, except I guess there's a few snow lilies you could take a look at. There's a patch in one of the corners that seem to be wilting. Can't figure out why for the life of me."

"I'll take a look at them for you," said Jason. He stepped aside and gestured towards Olivia. "This is Olivia Shadowheart. She'll be joining me, if you wouldn't mind the extra pair of hands."

Gerald seemed to notice Olivia for the first time. She jumped forward to save him from hobbling over and shook his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Gerald," she said with a smile.

Gerald's own smile grew into a grin. "Oh, I like this one, lad. She's got a good grip. Where'd you find her?"

"She ran into me in the literal sense, spilled her drink over herself and then stepped on her own glasses," said Jason.

"Excuse me," said Olivia, pointing a finger in his direction. "You're making it sound like it was entirely my fault!"

"There is more to the story, yes, but can you deny that those are the facts?"

Olivia lifted the finger closer to her eyes. "That is not the point at all, mister. Why'd you feel it was necessary to replace my glasses if you weren't the reason they were broken?"

Jason's amusement broke through his deadpan manner. "Well, as I said, there's more to the story, isn't there, Shadowheart?"

Olivia grinned. "Oh you bet your behind there is, Frostsong."

Gerald just shook his head. "This is a story I think we're going to have to find time for at some point, eh, lad?" A group of people, two of which were a couple walked through the doors and immediately began flagging down the attention of a shop assistant. "Ah, you'll have to excuse me though. Been waiting for this group all day, the slowpokes. Everything is in its usual place in the back, work your magic, lad!"

"Thank you, Gerald," said Jason as Gerald walked away to greet the group. "Follow me, Olivia."

They went through a door into the back staff storage area. It wasn't particularly well lit, but there were lockers and a few chairs and scattered belongings around the floor.

Jason placed his violin into one of the lockers he'd seemed to know would be empty. He turned back to Olivia. "Would you like me to place your bag inside with it? I promise it will remain safe. The lockers have a combination lock and only I am aware of this one."

Olivia clutched the strap of her bag a little tighter. Viri was in there. If she needed her Ascended, it was going to cause problems. "I um, think I'd better hold onto it. Just in case."

Jason inclined his head and closed the locker. "As you wish."

Next, he gave her an apron, a pair of gloves and boots. He put his own on like he'd done this a million times, and Olivia was completely stunned by how at home he looked in an apron of all things.

He noticed her hesitation. "You're under no obligation to help or stay, just so you know. If you'd rather just stay and talk, or if you'd rather I'd take you home first, I don't mind driving you back instead."

"Oh, no," said Olivia. "That's not it. I'm just..." She took a short, gulping breath. "I'm kind of just surprised, I guess. I didn't pick you for a flower kind of guy, I guess? No pun intended."

Jason pressed his lips together and lowered his gaze to the ground as he finished tying his apron around his waist. "I suppose not."

"Don't get embarrassed on me now," said Olivia with a small smile, putting her own apron around her neck and pulling on her boots. "I never said it was a bad thing. Just surprising."

He glanced up and gave her a grateful smile for that.

Geared up with their newly acquired plant-wrangling necessities, Olivia and Jason walked out to the back-back.

Jason pushed aside the heavy plastic curtain. "Welcome to the greenhouse, Olivia."

She'd been expecting a back room with a few plants, maybe some still in the dirt.

She had not been expecting a greenhouse that was twice the size of the front room.

There were garden beds of every flower she'd seen in the shop front and more in all stages of growth. Despite the size of the room, the footpaths that criss-crossed between them were barely wide enough to walk. The beds were neatly organised, meticulous notes sticking out from a sign on each one about the care and growth of each flower species.

Olivia just couldn't find the words.

"I'm rather impressed to find it so organised," said Jason. "Usually every time I come here, Gerald's made a mess of it again. His assistants must have taken my notes to heart."

"Your notes?"

"I help them organise and care for the shop when I have the time," said Jason with a small shrug. "Spare time is a luxury during temple period, but usually I try to come here once a week to ensure that Gerald hasn't wrought havoc among the flowers."

"If he's so dangerous to the flowers, why is he working at a florist?"

"He isn't just working at one," said Jason. "He owns this place."

Olivia thought about that for a moment. "He's a florist, but he sucks at flowers?"

"The logic of it has always escaped me," said Jason. "The shop was nearly bankrupt when I happened upon it a few years ago. It's slowly turned around, but it's been a fair amount of effort. I'm going to check on the snow lilies Gerard mentioned, if you feel like following me."

Olivia practically bounced after him. "He has snow lilies here? Like, here here?"

"Indeed," said Jason, walking over to a dark plastic sheet and holding up one of the panels for Olivia to walk through.

Barely containing her excitement, Olivia stepped through. As the temperature dropped dramatically, she realised that the greenhouse was far bigger than she'd originally realised.

"This is the cool room," said Jason. "The temperatures are designed to mimic the higher altitudes of Skypillar where the lilies grow. There's a few other species in here, but the lilies are the main reason I designed it."

Olivia rubbed her arms against a shiver and clutched her bag a little closer. "You designed this?"

"I did," said Jason. "I can't take the full credit as I did have some outside assistance. Would you pass me that satchel on the table to your right, please?"

Olivia sat beside Jason as he went to work on one corner of a snow lily bed whose occupants weren't doing as well as the others. He explained everything as he did it, and there was such a passion in his voice that Olivia couldn't help but listen and ask questions. She didn't exactly understand most of it, but she just loved the way it brought him out. She loved the way he cared. It was enough to make the freezing cold around her bearable.

Still, as she watched Jason work on the lilies, she couldn't help this strange feeling of dread. Almost like there was something wrong with the room, but she couldn't put her finger on it.

A little while after, Gerald joined them in the snow lily room.

"Thought I might find you back here, lad!" he said. "How's it going?"

"Not as well as I'd hoped," said Jason. "The soil and other factors seem to be stable. There should be no reason why this particular corner is wilting in comparison to the others."

"It's a damn shame," said Gerald. "Snow lilies are fragile little things. Wish they'd just toughen up a little already."

"They wouldn't be snow lilies then," said Olivia through chattering teeth. "The fact that they're so vulnerable is part of what makes them special."

"We've only been cultivating them for a few months," said Jason. "We're learning more about them every day." He glanced at Olivia. "Who knows? With time, we may be able to bring the price of snow cookies down."

Olivia grinned. "I am completely supportive of this idea."

"Did you know it's because of Jason I have these here at all, lass?" said Gerald. "The lad put in a request for the lilies to Cryo on my behalf. This flower shop was barely running above empty even with Jason's expert help, but ever since Cryo brought in the lilies, business has been booming!" He laughed. "Or should I say, business has been blooming?"

"Business would have stayed booming if you'd kept the seeds exclusive a little longer, Gerald," said Jason as he tapped some soil inside a vial and dropped various liquids on top of it.

"Ah, lad, but what's the point in something wonderful if you keep it all to yourself? They're flowers, lad. They're meant to be shared to make people happy!"

"That didn't mean you had to give them away the day your competitors found out you had them and came knocking on your door. You could have waited a month or so."

"Psht, difference of opinions," said Gerald. "Besides, I'm half convinced people were only coming in to see Cryo. He used to stop by a few times a week for the first month to teach us how to care for the flowers correctly. I imagine he's far busier now, but we're grateful that he's at least taught Jason how to do it properly. I wish my assistants had half the talent he does."

"I'm not talented," said Jason. "I'm just dedicated."

"Well, dedicated or talented, I'm just grateful to have you around, lad," said Gerald. He grunted and adjusted his apron. "Your lass is looking a little cold there. We don't all have your ridiculous tolerance for low temperatures."

Jason glanced up. "My apologies, Olivia. I forget that others feel the cold more than I do."

She shivered but smiled. "It's all good, Jase. It's worth freezing my butt off."

"C'mon, let's hop out of the cool room for a little bit," said Gerald, helping Olivia to her feet. "You too, lad. I want you to have a little look at the moonflower again, if you wouldn't mind."

Jason dusted off his hands and placed the vial down. "I'll take a look now."

The three of them went back out to the main section of the greenhouse where Gerald brought over a potted, golden flower with a stem that looked almost silver. The flower didn't look as bad as the wilting snow lilies had, but it also didn't look quite healthy, either."

Jason crouched down beside it and after a few minutes of checking the soil and lifting up the petals, he glanced at Gerald. "What did you do to it? Did you over water it? Put too many nutrients in the soil again?"

"Me?" said Gerald. "I didn't do anything! I did exactly as you said, I promise. Gave it sunlight. Followed instructions to the letter. But in the last week, it's just started looking pretty sorry for itself."

Jason pursed his lips. "Strange indeed."

"It's beautiful," said Olivia. "I don't think I've seen a flower with a silver stem before."

"It's not actually silver," said Jason. "It's the hairs that protect the stem. You can touch it, if you want." Olivia stroked one finger down the side of the stem to find thousands of silver, velvety soft hairs coating the stem. "The moonflower is also known as Starsong's Bloom, because it only blooms during the twin moons festival. Four weeks, then it closes up for the rest of the year. But on the final day of the festival, they glow during the auroras."

Olivia's eyebrows shot up. "The flower glows?"

"Indeed," said Jason. "I was going to buy it for the performance night, but--"

"Buy it?" said Gerald. "Jason, you can have the flower as my festival gift to you. You're the only reason it's thriving--or, was, anyway."

"If it continues like this, it may not be alive for that night regardless of whether I buy it or not," said Jason.

Olivia stroked the flower under its petals like she would for Viri's chin. "Maybe it's just sad because of all the Serpent activity. If they're Starsong's flower, they could be sensitive to that kind of thing."

"The Serpent hasn't been particularly more active than the previous years and I've seen them cultivated successfully then," said Jason. "I don't see any reason why..."

Olivia glanced at Jason as he seemed to realise something. The revelation was written all over his face as some piece clicked into place. "Jase?"

Jason glanced back towards the snow lilies. "Actually, I may have an idea. For the snow lilies and the moon flower, though I'll need to take the moonflower back with me."

Gerald nodded happily. "Are you thinking the two flowers might not get along? Proximity and all that?"

"Proximity to something, at least," said Jason, standing up straight and walking back into the cool room, closing the black plastic sheet behind him.

"And the lad's gone," said Gerald with a short bark of laughter. "He's usually in there a while when he gets like that. You can freeze your behind off again if you like, but I could use some help moving some flowers around." He leaned back, one hand on his lower spine. "My old back isn't what it used to be and I only have one assistant today because of the Bloom, but everyone still wants flowers."

"Sure," said Olivia, even as she threw a backwards glance in Jason's direction. "Just tell me what to do."

*+*+*+*

A/N - No swimming for Olivia it seems~ But Jason has trusted her with one of his most special retreats <3 

Pssst, *THE* chapter just went live on Patreon ;D TWO WEEKS UNTIL WATTPAD. Pls start preparing now that is all. I don't want anyone dying on me. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 362 42
Lily is a normal sixteen year old girl who lives off the coast of Sacury, California, where she loves Theatre and her friends, even though she lives...
1.1K 162 42
Cypur is held back from advancing in school because of a magick defect. It shouldn't matter, but the school board threatens him with exile. He blames...
85 6 19
Joyce Patrick is a new resident at Emerald Oasis Nursing Home. Her two children: Cleo and Maxine loath each other. She befriends the fairies that liv...