Bone of Contention (Underswap...

By TheIndianaCrew

Humanity is divided over one thing---the Monsters' reappearance. Some believe that they should stay abovegrou... More

Chapter 1: "The Protest"
Chapter 2: "The Waitress"
Chapter 3: "Ebott City Park"
Chapter 4: "Change of Plans"
Chapter 5: "Resentment"
Chapter 6: "Save the Date"
Chapter 7: "The Brothers"
Chapter 8: "An Unfavorable Meal"
Chapter 10: "Muffet's"
Chapter 11: "The New Employee"
Chapter 12: "A Friend Meets A Foe"
Chapter 13: "Reassurance"
Chapter 14: "Deux"
Chapter 15: "Dismissed"
Chapter 16: "Compadres"
Chapter 17: "Chocolatey Confections"
Chapter 18: "Cadillacs and Cologne"
Chapter 19: "Old Spice Makes Everything Nice"
Chapter 20: "Safety is Necessary"
Chapter 21: "Him"
Chapter 22: "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining"
Chapter 23: "Birthday Shenanigans'
Chapter 24: "Cigarettes and Honey"
Chapter 25: "Fun and Games"
Chapter 26: "It Still Haunts You"
Chapter 27: "A New Change"
Chapter 28: "The Arrival"
Chapter 29: "Reunited Again"
Chapter 30: "Embarrassment"
Chapter 31: "Turning Over A New Leaf"
Chapter 32: "Bitterness"
Chapter 33: "The Companions"
Chapter 34: "The Detective"
Chapter 35: "For the Greater Good"
Chapter 36: "Dubuc's Ice Cream Shoppe"
Chapter 37: "A Cat and Mouse Experience"
Chapter 38: "Questionable Decisions"
Chapter 39: "Friendly Revelations"
Chapter 40: "Recuperation"
Chapter 41: "Laughter is the Best Medicine"
Chapter 42: "Strange Squad Goals"
Chapter 43: "Night Owls"
Chapter 44: "Dreams and Disasters"
Chapter 45: "Carpe Diem"
Chapter 46: "Discord"
Chapter 47: "A Good Samaritan"
Chapter 48: "Consolation"
Chapter 49: "Rest and Relaxation"
Chapter 50: "Birds of a Feather Flock Together"
Chapter 51: "Breaking The Ice"
Chapter 52: "A Mysterious Place"
Chapter 53: "Rejuvenated"
Chapter 54: "Beneath the Surface"
Chapter 55: "Bad Blood"
Chapter 56: "Tension"
Chapter 57: "Sweet Beginnings"
Chapter 58: "Affliction"
Chapter 59: "Love-Struck"
Chapter 60: "Introspection"

Chapter 9: "Stranger Danger"

7.2K 312 555
By TheIndianaCrew

As you walked, the sun was starting to go down fast. The sunset was a beautiful cloudy pink and orange, it was absolutely gorgeous and you stopped to take a photo with your phone. You aimed it at the perfect area and took a few photos. It looked more spectacular in real life than on your phone but, filters could probably fix that.

You tucked your phone back into your pocket and resumed walking, it was still a pleasant temperature outside. It was only around seventy-five degrees fahrenheit, which was pretty good for a summer night.

The clouds were starting to close in and you could hear some thunder crack in the distance. The wind also picked up and blew your hair around. You had forgotten that it was going to storm tonight. You'd better go home the quick way, which is the route Austin knows about. Hopefully he wouldn't be there, not many would be out tonight if something were to happen.

So, you quickly walked home as the storm approached. You regretted not bringing an umbrella, that would probably be very helpful in this situation.

You put your hands in your pockets and trudged forwards, you looked up at the street as you walked and noticed that it wasn't very busy. Only a few cars passed every five minutes, and that was unusual for this time of day.

It was around fifteen minutes into your walk when a blue car pulled up to the curb beside you, you stopped walking and looked over at it worriedly. Only bad thoughts were going through your mind. What could the person want? Who was it? Were they planning on kidnapping you?

Slowly the window unrolled and you moved back from the car a bit. Sitting inside on the driver's side was none of than Austin, of course he'd find you right now.

"Oh, joy." You muttered under your breath.

You quickly reached your hand into your bag and pulled out the pepper spray, holding it in your hand carefully as you looked into the car.

"Heya angel, you don't wanna get your wings wet do you? A storm's approaching and I can drive you to your apartment." He offered with a grin.

"No thank you, I'm fine." You replied flatly as you started walking again.

To your dismay, instead of driving off Austin just followed beside you at the same speed as your walking. "Aw, come on cutie. Let me drive ya." He spoke.

"Take care," You growled in response as you walked faster.

"What? I'm not giving up that fast." He declared as he matched your pace.

"How about you come to my house? It's not that far away." He spoke with a slight chuckle.

"Hell no! I'm not going to get in your car, or go to your house, leave me alone!" You snapped.

"Ooh, I do love a feisty gal." He chuckled.

You quickly turned to Austin and flipped him off, you knew it was wrong, but it felt so right. He seemed taken aback by your sudden action and followed you faster. "Come on, (Y\N)! Just come with me this once and I'll leave you alone." He promised.

"I will never go anywhere with you, ever!" You hissed.

"Come on baby, the rain is just a few blocks away." He replied flatly.

"I won't say it again, no!" You replied before quickly running away.

"W-what? I'm not giving up yet!" He growled as he suddenly put his foot on the accelerator and sped after you.

His tires screeched against the pavement as he went down the road quickly until he slammed on the breaks, stopping beside you at a crosswalk. "You can't run away from me that easily," He grumbled.

The crosswalk went off and you jogged across the pavement to the other side. Austin was about to speed after you when suddenly a siren sounded behind him, he turned around to see a police car with its lights on behind him.

He'd been caught for speeding, huh? Suits him right, he deserves it. You could go over to the police officer and tell him Austin's been harassing you but, maybe getting a ticket will be a good enough lesson. Maybe he'll even stop bothering you after this incident.

You smiled and made your way down the street again, you were very happy that the police stopped him. Who knows, maybe he got stopped for another reason too. What if he had some terrible criminal background and he was on the run? It'd be terrible if some creep who escaped from prison was stalking you.

You pushed the thought aside and walked until you got to your apartment building, once you were there you dashed to the door, unlocked it and went inside.

You looked over to Tyler's door and saw that he was leaning against it, he had his ukulele in one hand and his phone in the other. "Come on Josh, pick up..." He muttered to himself.

He nearly jumped into the air when he looked up to see you looking over at him. "O-oh! (Y\N), long time no see!" He spoke as he quickly hung up his phone, putting it in his pocket clumsily.

"I didn't mean to frighten you, I'm sorry." You apologized.

"It's alright, I was just trying to get a hold of a friend of mine." He said nervously as he scratched the back of his head.

"Hey, I uh... I like what you play." You told him with a smile as you gestured to his ukulele.

"Oh, you've heard me play?" He asked as he tilted his head to the side somewhat.

"When I come home from work at night I like pausing by your door to hear the music... I know that sounds kind of creepy but, I mean no harm." You confessed.

"Oh well uh... Thanks, I guess." He responded with a slight smile.

"You play any other instruments?" You asked him curiously.

"Uh, I play the keyboard and I sing." He responded shyly.

"That's cool! Do you play anywhere?" You asked him curiously.

"Well, I'm actually in a band called twent-" He started to say before he was cut off by his phone ringing.

"I'm sorry, I need to take this." He sighed.

"It's alright, I needed to get to my apartment anyway," You responded with a reassuring smile before you turned and headed up the stairs.

"Have a good night!" You spoke cheerily as you jogged up the stairs.

"You too," You heard Tyler respond.

Once you finally reached your floor, you walked to your apartment and went inside. You flopped down on your couch with a sigh and suddenly, you heard the rain begin to come down heavily. The thunder boomed in the distance and you closed your eyes. Tomorrow you had work, but that wasn't until the evening... Maybe you'd go to Muffet's and fill out a job application in the morning.

That seemed like a good idea, then tomorrow night you could finally quit your loathed job. Your hours would change drastically though, Harvey's opened in the evening whereas Muffet's, like any other café opened early in the morning. You were ready to make the adjustment though, the pay was worth whatever sleep you lost.

You opened your eyes and stood up, you walked into your kitchen and got one of Mrs. Agatha's cookies out of the bag and took a bite. The delicious flavor made you smile and you laughed thinking about your dinner you had tonight. It was nice of Papyrus not to make you eat that dreadful taco, you're not sure if you could anyway. You probably couldn't get more than two bites down before you had to run to their bathroom. That'd be embarrassing, so you were extra thankful for Papyrus' actions.

You took a few more bites of the cookie and yawned, perhaps you should sleep somewhat early tonight. That seemed best, you had a busy day today and you were exhausted. You hadn't seen Austin once, but twice in the same day. That, was a tragedy by itself. Hopefully he'll eventually leave you alone. You are getting quite tired of his remarks after all.

---------------------------------------------

Your alarm went off with a loud beeping which caused you to sit up almost immediately. You yawned and rubbed your eyes, you forced yourself to get out of bed and stumbled into your bathroom. You looked at yourself in the mirror and attempted to fix your messy (h\c) hair, but it was no use.

You yawned again and stepped into the shower, you took a quick shower and when you got out, you changed into a pair of blue jean shorts, a black tank and a purple, white and black plaid button up shirt that was unbuttoned to show the tank underneath it.

You rolled the sleeves up to be half-sleeves and fixed the collar on the shirt carefully. You grabbed your hairbrush and hairdryer and began to fix your hair, you dried it quickly and brushed it during the process.

You stood back and looked at yourself in the mirror, happy with the results, you brushed your teeth and walked into the kitchen. You grabbed a granola bar, stuffed it into your bag and packed a water bottle as well.

There was no reason to eat at home, you were going to Muffet's after all. You could get some coffee and a donut while you were there. You wondered if Papyrus would be there, or any familiar faces... Like the nice monster couple that you met a few nights ago. It'd be nice to see them again, you feel like you should thank them for the generous tip they gave you at Harvey's the other night.

You stuffed your keys, phone, wallet, pepper spray and sunglasses into your bag and walked out the door of your apartment. You walked down the stairs and once you made it to the bottom floor, you went outside and started walking to Muffet's.

Thanks to that stupid protest, you knew exactly where her café is in the city. It is on the corner of Walker Street, that was around seven minutes from Clique Street, the street you lived on.

You suspected it to be nice walk, it wasn't too hot outside yet after all. You hoped Muffet still wanted you as an employee, it'd be really disappointing if she had changed her mind. Something told you that if she was going to do that, Papyrus would attempt to help you get the job anyway. For some reason, he really seemed to want you to work here... Maybe that was because it was a frequent for monsters and he wanted you to like his species, or maybe... He visited the café frequently and wanted to see you?

No, that was impossible. It was definitely the former, why would he want to see you? If anything, he'd only want to see you to make sure you weren't being unfair to the monsters.

But, you wanted him to trust you. So, you'd try your best to gain his trust completely. No matter how long it took, you were up for the difficult task.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 2.4K 22
You are a somewhat normal girl that explores with your friend, you are a secretary person until you meet a dashing skeleton by the name of Cross but...
96.5K 2.2K 10
You have lived in the underground for 4 months now, and had befriended the most adorable cinnamon roll ever, Sans. However, you couldn't help but to...
157K 5.6K 42
Sans and Papyrus were your best friends until randomly they just cut off all contact with you. This went for everyone else in your life so it didn't...
128K 5.7K 18
• Art is by kane__i on Twitter • [Fem!Reader] 『 The group of skeletons were taken aback by the unexpected appearance of who exactly? You, of course. ...