Bone of Contention (Underswap...

By TheIndianaCrew

Humanity is divided over one thing---the Monsters' reappearance. Some believe that they should stay abovegrou... More

Chapter 1: "The Protest"
Chapter 2: "The Waitress"
Chapter 3: "Ebott City Park"
Chapter 4: "Change of Plans"
Chapter 6: "Save the Date"
Chapter 7: "The Brothers"
Chapter 8: "An Unfavorable Meal"
Chapter 9: "Stranger Danger"
Chapter 10: "Muffet's"
Chapter 11: "The New Employee"
Chapter 12: "A Friend Meets A Foe"
Chapter 13: "Reassurance"
Chapter 14: "Deux"
Chapter 15: "Dismissed"
Chapter 16: "Compadres"
Chapter 17: "Chocolatey Confections"
Chapter 18: "Cadillacs and Cologne"
Chapter 19: "Old Spice Makes Everything Nice"
Chapter 20: "Safety is Necessary"
Chapter 21: "Him"
Chapter 22: "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining"
Chapter 23: "Birthday Shenanigans'
Chapter 24: "Cigarettes and Honey"
Chapter 25: "Fun and Games"
Chapter 26: "It Still Haunts You"
Chapter 27: "A New Change"
Chapter 28: "The Arrival"
Chapter 29: "Reunited Again"
Chapter 30: "Embarrassment"
Chapter 31: "Turning Over A New Leaf"
Chapter 32: "Bitterness"
Chapter 33: "The Companions"
Chapter 34: "The Detective"
Chapter 35: "For the Greater Good"
Chapter 36: "Dubuc's Ice Cream Shoppe"
Chapter 37: "A Cat and Mouse Experience"
Chapter 38: "Questionable Decisions"
Chapter 39: "Friendly Revelations"
Chapter 40: "Recuperation"
Chapter 41: "Laughter is the Best Medicine"
Chapter 42: "Strange Squad Goals"
Chapter 43: "Night Owls"
Chapter 44: "Dreams and Disasters"
Chapter 45: "Carpe Diem"
Chapter 46: "Discord"
Chapter 47: "A Good Samaritan"
Chapter 48: "Consolation"
Chapter 49: "Rest and Relaxation"
Chapter 50: "Birds of a Feather Flock Together"
Chapter 51: "Breaking The Ice"
Chapter 52: "A Mysterious Place"
Chapter 53: "Rejuvenated"
Chapter 54: "Beneath the Surface"
Chapter 55: "Bad Blood"
Chapter 56: "Tension"
Chapter 57: "Sweet Beginnings"
Chapter 58: "Affliction"
Chapter 59: "Love-Struck"
Chapter 60: "Introspection"

Chapter 5: "Resentment"

7.7K 350 587
By TheIndianaCrew

You opened your eyes and removed your sketchpad from your face, apparently you'd fallen asleep at some point last night. You sat up and looked for your pencil, you patted your hand around and checked in the crack between the couch cushions but, it wasn't there.

You sat up and looked down at the couch, where'd it end up? You checked your pocket and pulled Sans' business card out of it. That wasn't your pencil but, you set it on your coffee table so you wouldn't forget to call him later.

You patted around on your couch for a good five minutes until it fell into your view. Apparently you had tucked it behind your ear last night before you'd fallen asleep. How you'd forgotten that, you have no idea.

You walked into the kitchen sleepily and looked at the time on the stove, it was nearly five AM. You put a pot of water on the stove and waited for it to reach a boil. You might require a few cups of coffee this morning, you shouldn't have fallen asleep on the couch.

You walked over to your phone and noticed that it had died at some point last night. You picked it up and walked over to the charger across the room. You plugged it in and walked back into your kitchen.

You pulled out the mug you had gotten from Maia and placed it onto your counter. You pulled out a coffee bag and placed it in the cup as you waited for the water to boil.

You tapped your fingers on the counter rhythmically as you waited for what seemed like an eternity before you saw the pot of water reach a boiling point. You turned off the heat and poured the water into your mug carefully. The smell of coffee wafted through the air and you poured yourself a bowl of cereal.

You put sugar and milk into your coffee and stirred it in, when it was mixed well you walked to the couch and put your mug down on the coffee table.

Your gaze trailed to Sans' business card and you stared at it for a second. Should you go ahead and call him? Of course not, it's Sunday and most would be sleeping in, not to mention it's only five AM. You said you'd call him Monday but what if he forgot somehow? What if he thought you'd call him immediately? What if his brother thought you'd broken your promise?

You shook your head, "I'll call him later today," you told yourself.

You took a bite of your cereal and leaned back against the couch. So far you had to do two things today, call Sans and go to the dry cleaners. Well actually, scratch that. You have to call Sans, go the dry cleaners and finish the drawing for Mrs. Agatha.

Well, you didn't have to finish the drawing today but you wanted to be able to thank her soon. She had been such a kind lady to make you cookies, she truly was a blessing.

You finished your bowl of cereal and picked up your mug of coffee, carefully taking a sip. Today seemed like it would be a slow day, not only were you exhausted but you had a feeling you'd have to take the bus to go to the dry cleaners. Oh, how you hated public transportation. You really miss having a car, too bad you can't afford one.

You finished your coffee and yawned, you walked to your phone and noticed it had powered itself back on. You quickly opened your text messages and clicked on Grace.

"Hey Grace, can you pick me up today?" You texted her.

To your surprise it said that she had read your text within a few seconds.

"About that..." She quickly responded.

"Grace, please tell me that you can take me. You know how much I hate taking the bus." You wrote back.

"I forgot that Audrey and I have a protest today, I'm sorry (Y\N)." She replied.

"Can you not skip one protest? Come on Gracie," You texted back.

"I'm sorry but I can't miss this one, it's really important."

She can't miss just one protest? You thought you two were friends, don't you matter more than some stupid protest? That's all Grace and Audrey ever do now. They just go to protest after protest. Did you ever really matter? Did they even keep your interests in mind when they dragged you along with them?

You grumbled and quickly responded, "Fine, I see what you really care about now."

You set your phone down angrily and walked away from it. You weren't in the mood to talk to your 'friends' anytime soon.

You picked up your dirty dishes and headed to the kitchen, you put them in the sink and went to take a shower.

The only other person who could drive you was your neighbor Tyler but, you barely knew the guy. It would be really weird to ask him to drive you places. Plus, you don't even know if you can trust him.

You mentally prepared yourself to have to take the bus and walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind you.

---------------------------------------------

You slipped on your (f\c) V-neck T-shirt and some denim shorts, you brushed your hair and looked at yourself in the mirror. You smiled and walked out of the bathroom, maybe taking the bus wouldn't be so bad after all.

You walked to your bedside table and looked at the clock on it, it was almost seven now. The dry cleaners open at nine so you could always walk to the park first. Or maybe you could just go on a peaceful stroll, either way it would calm your nerves.

You walked into the living room and grabbed your phone, you had ten unread texts from Grace. She was apologizing, trying to justify what she had said earlier. You were still mad but you felt sympathy for worrying her.

"It's fine Grace," You replied to her.

You may have said it was fine but, it wasn't really. You wondered how much you really mattered to Grace and Audrey. You all were really close before the monsters showed up but, their hate got in the way of their friendship with you. You all used to be able to share laughs, watch movies, get ice cream... But that all changed one day.

Grace and Audrey were closer than ever... And yet you had drifted from them, was that because you didn't feel the same way about monsters?

Even if that is the case, you have no regrets. They were the ones who had gotten so caught up in their loathing of monsters that they had grown apart from you. You were not at fault here, it wasn't in any way, shape or form your fault.

Seeing your phone was fully charged, you unplugged it, tucked it in your pocket and grabbed your keys and wallet.

You walked to the door of your apartment and walked out, you locked the door behind you and rushed down the stairs to the first floor.

"Excuse me deary, do you know where Blossom Street is?" A female voice asked.

You looked over to see none other than the spider monster from the café the other day. Does she live here? If so, for how long has she been residing here?

"Yes ma'am, you take a left down Cherry Street and keep going straight until you reach a crossroad. After that, turn down Magnolia Road and go about 4 miles and than you'll see Blossom Street." You told her with a smile.

"Thank you very much for your kindness, deary!" She adjusted her glasses and walked to the door.

"You work at Muffet's right?" You asked her.

She turned around, "That is correct, I own Muffet's."

"Oh! Are you Muffet?"

"Of course deary! Have you heard of me or something?" She asked you with a tilt of her head.

"Well, I saw the protest that took place at your café the other day... You were so calm and collected." You responded.

"Well, this bone of contention doesn't seem to have an end to it anytime soon so, I might as well tolerate it as best as I can." She replied.

"Bone of contention?" You tilted your head in confusion.

"Oh deary, I'm sorry. It appears I've been around Papyrus too much. A bone of contention is an issue that has continuing disagreement." She explained.

"Well, that just about sums up what's happening." You muttered slightly.

So she knew this Papyrus character very well? Well, the first time you ever saw him was when he went into her café. But what did she mean by 'I've been around Papyrus too much'?

"Well thank you again deary! You should come stop by Muffet's sometime, I wouldn't mind giving you a job application while you are there." She smiled politely.

She turned to walk away again and you quickly stopped her, "I'm sorry, but what would my pay be?" you asked desperately.

She turned around and looked you up and down, she must have seen how desperate you were because she responded with "Around seventeen dollars an hour."

That was above your pay at Harvey's by ten dollars! With seven dollars an hour, you could hardly pay your rent and were using money from your savings account to help keep yourself afloat. Ergo, this will give you a lot more financial security and for that, you are very thankful.

Your eyes lit up and you felt a rush of relief flow through your veins. "Thank you ma'am! I may have to take you up on your offer." you smiled brightly.

"I look forward to seeing you... I'm sorry, I never caught your name,"

"Oh! It's (Y\N), (Y\N) (L\N)." You replied.

"Well, I look forward to seeing you (Y\N). Have a great day deary!" Muffet replied as she walked outside.

"You too!" You called after her.

Woah, had that really just happened? You just got a job offer to work somewhere and they'll pay you more than Harvey's ever did. This excited you as you skipped outside of the apartment complex.

You made your way down the sidewalk and looked around at the green leaves on the trees. Maybe monsters really weren't bad at all, Muffet was kind enough to offer you a job with a high pay even though she just met you. She must really trust you to do something like that, if only she knew you were at that protest the other day.

Were you taking advantage of the monsters' kindness? Alphys, Undyne, Sans and Muffet had all shown you great deeds of kindness but they hadn't seen you at the protest. Papyrus had though and it was obvious he was very suspicious of you.

Every day you grow to like monsters even more but, you still feared some of them. However, what was there to fear? Had the tales of concerned citizens really effected you this much? Half of the stuff people say about them are most likely urban legends.

You felt a hand grip your arm as it pulled you to a stop. "Hey cutie, why'd you run away yesterday?"

You turned around in surprise to see the guy who had followed you yesterday. You weren't in the mood to deal with him right now but, you couldn't just walk away without saying anything.

"The name's Austin, why don't you give me your number hun?" He asked.

"I'm sorry Austin but, I'm not interested," You pulled away from his grip and sternly looked him in the eyes.

"Aw, c'mon dollface. Live a little, you're too gorgeous for me to just let go."

"I'm not interested." You repeated flatly as you turned and walked away.

You heard him starting to follow you but soon his footsteps stopped.

"I'm not going to give up that easily, (Y\N)." He growled from the distance.

His tone made you shiver, you never told him your name. He must've been listening into your conversation with Muffet or perhaps he looked you up somehow. But either way, he really gave you the creeps. You can only hope he'll leave you alone soon and that this won't escalate any further.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.6K 1.9K 41
what would you do if all of a sudden some small skeletons appeared out of nowhere one night and we're so small and helpless you couldn't say no to. S...
30.9K 1.5K 27
Y/N, meets a new coworker that changes her life forever. A monster, doing his best to make a living after moving out of the underground. Sans is this...
114K 6.7K 47
Cover artist: punny-puntasy ! (TOLD IN YOU/YOUR) A reaper, a few gods, and a bunch of skeletons. The life of a reaper wasn't boring to her, everyda...
5.8K 146 12
Edit: I'm sorry but this book is discontinued. I lost interest in this book and I couldn't do anymore chapters. I'm sorry but I'll maybe put some cha...