Bone of Contention (Underswap...

By TheIndianaCrew

Humanity is divided over one thing---the Monsters' reappearance. Some believe that they should stay abovegrou... More

Chapter 1: "The Protest"
Chapter 2: "The Waitress"
Chapter 4: "Change of Plans"
Chapter 5: "Resentment"
Chapter 6: "Save the Date"
Chapter 7: "The Brothers"
Chapter 8: "An Unfavorable Meal"
Chapter 9: "Stranger Danger"
Chapter 10: "Muffet's"
Chapter 11: "The New Employee"
Chapter 12: "A Friend Meets A Foe"
Chapter 13: "Reassurance"
Chapter 14: "Deux"
Chapter 15: "Dismissed"
Chapter 16: "Compadres"
Chapter 17: "Chocolatey Confections"
Chapter 18: "Cadillacs and Cologne"
Chapter 19: "Old Spice Makes Everything Nice"
Chapter 20: "Safety is Necessary"
Chapter 21: "Him"
Chapter 22: "Every Cloud has a Silver Lining"
Chapter 23: "Birthday Shenanigans'
Chapter 24: "Cigarettes and Honey"
Chapter 25: "Fun and Games"
Chapter 26: "It Still Haunts You"
Chapter 27: "A New Change"
Chapter 28: "The Arrival"
Chapter 29: "Reunited Again"
Chapter 30: "Embarrassment"
Chapter 31: "Turning Over A New Leaf"
Chapter 32: "Bitterness"
Chapter 33: "The Companions"
Chapter 34: "The Detective"
Chapter 35: "For the Greater Good"
Chapter 36: "Dubuc's Ice Cream Shoppe"
Chapter 37: "A Cat and Mouse Experience"
Chapter 38: "Questionable Decisions"
Chapter 39: "Friendly Revelations"
Chapter 40: "Recuperation"
Chapter 41: "Laughter is the Best Medicine"
Chapter 42: "Strange Squad Goals"
Chapter 43: "Night Owls"
Chapter 44: "Dreams and Disasters"
Chapter 45: "Carpe Diem"
Chapter 46: "Discord"
Chapter 47: "A Good Samaritan"
Chapter 48: "Consolation"
Chapter 49: "Rest and Relaxation"
Chapter 50: "Birds of a Feather Flock Together"
Chapter 51: "Breaking The Ice"
Chapter 52: "A Mysterious Place"
Chapter 53: "Rejuvenated"
Chapter 54: "Beneath the Surface"
Chapter 55: "Bad Blood"
Chapter 56: "Tension"
Chapter 57: "Sweet Beginnings"
Chapter 58: "Affliction"
Chapter 59: "Love-Struck"
Chapter 60: "Introspection"

Chapter 3: "Ebott City Park"

8.3K 319 668
By TheIndianaCrew

After you got home from work last night, you changed into your pajamas and fell asleep on your couch watching videos on your phone. You slept for a good eight hours before you awoke in the morning.

You sat up slowly and looked at the time on your phone, it was nine o'clock. You stretched and walked into your small kitchen, you filled up a small pot with water and put it on the stovetop.

Coffee would be the best thing to kick you into gear, it always helped you get going in the mornings. You walked to your cabinet and pulled out a small baking pan, you placed it on the stovetop and made your way over to your fridge. You opened the freezer side and pulled out a box of frozen waffles, you placed two waffles on the pan and put it in the oven.

You set the oven to three hundred fifty degrees and pulled out a coffee mug. It had a llama wearing sunglasses on it along with the text "I'm a drama-llama". It always made you smile, your best friend Maia, whom moved away a year ago gave it to you as a parting gift.

You and her still texted frequently, you both missed each other very much and your group of friends isn't the same without her. She had moved away because she had been offered a job working as an animatior with a big company and she would never turn down such a great offer.

She talked about coming to visit someday and you told her that would be wonderful. You knew that she'd be ashamed of Grace, Audrey and you for going to all those protests so you never mentioned them. She had told you via text her opinions about the monsters, she said that they were normal people that shouldn't be judged by their looks or race.

You got a coffee bag out of your pantry and put it into your mug. You turned around and smiled when you saw the water was boiling, you poured the water into the mug and waited for the coffee to brew. The wonderful smell of coffee filled the air as you got some milk and sugar out.

The timer on your oven went off so you pulled the waffles out and put them on a plate, you walked with your coffee mug to your couch and sat down to eat breakfast.

---------------------------------------------

You walked down the sidewalk, taking notice of your surroundings. You were on your way to the Ebott City Park, your favorite place to relax in the entire city. You were wearing a T-shirt of your favorite band and jean capri pants, you'd prefer this over your work uniform any day. The warm summer air surrounded you and the sun shown a brilliant yellow.

In the distance you could hear two male voices talking back and forth, one joking and playful and the other annoyed. You tried ignoring the voices but somebody shouted "watch out!" and you stopped dead in your tracks. Your gaze flicked up and you saw the small skeleton from yesterday running towards you at full speed, it seems like he can't stop.

He crashed into you with such force that he knocked you backwards onto the concrete sidewalk. "Oof!" You gasped as the air was knocked out if you.

The small skeleton quickly jumped up, "OH MY STARS, I'M SO SORRY!"

The taller skeleton that had stared at you yesterday walked over, he must've been the one that told you to 'watch out'. He reached out his hand to help you up and you gladly accepted it. He helped you to your feet and you brushed yourself off. "Thank you," You spoke as you turned to the smaller skeleton who looked very sad.

"It's alright, there's no need to apologize." You told him with a smile.

"ARE YOU OKAY?!" He asked you worriedly.

You nodded in response and you turned to see the taller skeleton again, he was leaning against a tree smoking a cigarette. He was wearing the same outfit that he wore yesterday, wouldn't it be funny if he was like a cartoon character and had multiple pairs of the same clothing?

The smaller skeleton walked over to him and shook his head in disappointment. "BROTHER, I TOLD YOU TO STOP SMOKING!" He said angrily.

Unlike his 'brother', the smaller skeleton was wearing a different outfit today. He was wearing a white T-shirt, a blue bandana, loose dark blue pants and bright blue boots. He looked absolutely adorable in that bright blue bandana, it made him look somewhat child-like but he didn't seem to mind.

"aw c'mon bro, lighten up." He winked at the pun he made and grinned.

The smaller skeleton stomped his foot on the ground, "BROTHER! YOU NEED TO TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY!"

You were about to walk off when you heard the small skeleton shout, "WAIT!"

"sans? what are you..." The taller skeleton spoke before he was interrupted by the smaller one or, 'Sans' you suppose.

"THERE MUST BE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU!" He declared.

"No, it's really fine." You replied with a weak smile.

"HOW ABOUT YOU COME OVER TO OUR HOUSE FOR TACOS?" He asked with blue stars in his eye sockets.

You looked over to the taller skeleton, he was shaking his skull back and forth as to say "don't accept his offer".

Half of you wanted to say yes and the other half wanted you to deny his offer. You knew Grace and Audrey would freak out and get mad at you if you started hanging out with the 'enemy' and you don't even know these guys. Even if they were human you would deny their offer but, the excitement in his eye sockets made you want to agree. Even if there were obvious risks, you felt inclined to say 'yes'.

You thought for a few seconds and finally decided that you didn't want to break the poor thing's heart. "Sure," You agreed.

Sans' smiled happily and clapped his small bony hands together.

"THAT'S GREAT! THIS IS MY PHONE NUMBER, CALL ME SO WE CAN SCHEDULE IT!" He replied excitedly as he handed you small homemade business card.

It said, "THE MAGNIFICENT SANS, FUTURE CAPTAIN OF THE ROYAL GUARD." Under that was his phone number and a small drawing of a taco.

"Alright, I will." You agreed.

You noticed out of the corner of your eye that the taller skeleton was watching you closely. You figured that he didn't trust you, that was very understandable though. After all, he had seen you at a monster protest yesterday.

"OH! I'M SANS BY THE WAY! AND THIS IS MY LAZYBONES BROTHER, PAPYRUS!"

"Well hello Sans and Papyrus, I'm (Y/N)." You introduced yourself.

You looked at the time on your watch. "Well, I have to get going now. I'll catch you guys later." You waved and walked past Sans.

Papyrus waved slightly as he blew out a puff of smoke and you waved back in response.

"SEE YOU LATER, (Y\N)!" Sans called after you.

You walked until you were far from the two brothers and let out a sigh. "Why did I say yes? I don't know them whatsoever and 'Papyrus' keeps looking at me like I'm some kind of criminal." You muttered.

You tucked Sans' business card in your pocket and quickened your pace, the entrance to the park was in view and you ran to it.

You smiled as you walked through the entrance and made your way to a tall tree with low branches. You climbed the tree and sat on one of the strongest branches. You had been coming to this park for years, it always helped you relax.

You leaned back aganist the tree trunk and began to think about things.

Why did you keep running into those two brothers? Why did you accept Sans' invitation? Why did Papyrus always seem like he was judging you? The thoughts swirled around in your mind and you shook your head to clear the thoughts.

The wind blew through the leaves in the tree and made the branch you were on move slightly. The breeze ruffled through your (h\c) hair and you let out a relaxed sigh.

You really shouldn't let these skeletons ruin your day off, you could worry about them Monday. That's when you'll call Sans to schedule the time for your taco dinner. As for now, you'd just relax listening to the birdsong above you.

You let the peaceful nature wash over you, it is a very beautiful day today. The cumulous clouds are floating in the air above you and the breeze moved them across the sky at a calm pace.

You closed your eyes and sighed, what a wonderful day to be off of work.

Author's note:

The character of 'Maia' is representing Alpha-Maia (quotev and deviantart) who is a really good friend of mine. I would suggest you check out her fanfiction because it is amazing and I'm sure you'll love it.

Thank you so much for reading! <3 -Indiana

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31K 1.5K 27
Y/N, meets a new coworker that changes her life forever. A monster, doing his best to make a living after moving out of the underground. Sans is this...
2.8K 151 24
You were the assistant to Alphys, her co-worker tinkered on a very curious machine in the same department you worked at, incidentally that co-worker...
96.2K 2.2K 10
You have lived in the underground for 4 months now, and had befriended the most adorable cinnamon roll ever, Sans. However, you couldn't help but to...
18.7K 386 66
The Multiverse is vast, expanding continuously as more alternate dimensions are being created. Each world possesses it's own unique laws, stories and...