Gilmore Girls: More in the Li...

By BSVG1227

This story picks up where "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life" leaves off-- Lorelai and Luke are married and R... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Author's Note

Chapter 112

4.2K 99 26
By BSVG1227

Before they knew it, fall had arrived. The air, turning sharply cooler, now provided a sting to the eyes when moving outdoors. The trees began to change colors, bringing a vividness to the world that lived only in the latter part of the year.

Emily was watching the twins, giving Lorelai an afternoon out of the house. She had texted Sookie, asking her to meet at Luke's for some coffee. Twenty minutes later, the best friends were seated at a corner table, chatting about a variety of topics.

Sookie cleared her throat. "Lorelai, there's something I've been wanting to ask you but I'm afraid of the answer."

As if she already knew the question, Lorelai lowered her coffee cup and mentally braced herself for where she believed the conversation would go. "What's that?"

"Are you going to come back to the inn?"

Pausing briefly, Lorelai laid her hand on Sookie's. "You know I love you and I love the inn. But I am having a hard time adjusting to the thought of leaving the twins."

Smiling sadly, Sookie nodded. "I figured as much when you extended your maternity leave three times."

"I'm sorry I didn't talk to you sooner. I just wanted to be sure I wanted to sell before even mentioning it."

Sookie's head shot up. "Wait a minute. What do you mean 'sell'?"

"Well, I assumed we would sell if I was out. Am I wrong?"

Becoming quiet, Sookie took a couple moments before answering. "I suppose that would make the most sense."

Lorelai could see that Sookie's heart was breaking. "I only assumed that so that the full financial burden wasn't on you. I've been trying to do some research and have been in contact with the Harper Group, a company that buys inns like ours. They're interested, Sookie. They would probably even keep you on to run the restaurant."

"Have they made an offer?"

Lorelai shook her head. "No, they want to tour the inn and sit down to look at the finances before doing that."

"I'd like to think we'd walk away with a nice chunk of change."

"I'd like to think so too."

"When can they meet with us?"

Lorelai shrugged. "I'm not sure. Do you want me to set up an appointment for them to come out?"

Sookie nodded. "I suppose it couldn't hurt."

It didn't take a genius to know that Sookie's comment wasn't true. Lorelai could tell that she had deeply hurt her best friend.

*****

Emily sat on the couch, reading a book, when Lorelai returned. She immediately saw that her daughter was upset. She placed her book on the seat beside herself.

"What's wrong, Lorelai?"

Her daughter filled her in on what had transpired with Sookie.

"So I'm struggling with not wanting to go back to work but also with the pain of hurting my friend."

Emily thought for a moment. "You know, I may have a better solution."

Lorelai chuckled. "Oh yeah? What's that?"

"I'll buy you out. It will give you plenty to live on so that money isn't an issue while you serve your family. Plus, I'd leave it to you in my will so that you eventually become co-owner again— hopefully down the road a ways when you're ready to work outside of the home."

Dumbfounded, Lorelai sat speechless. What Emily was offering was intriguing. It would also leave Sookie with her half without forcing the burden solely on her shoulders.

"But who would run it?"

Emily laughed. "I would. I can still come over and help you. But let's face it, you don't need me as much anymore. The twins are on a schedule that is manageable by one person on most days."

"You would run the inn?"

Rolling her eyes, Emily nodded. "Yes, Lorelai. I have the ability to oversee a staff. I do have experience in that regard."

"Uh, Mom, I hate to bring this up but most of your experience was with firing staff, not overseeing them."

"Lorelai!"

"Well, Mom, it's true!"

Emily scowled for a moment before conceding. "This is different. It's not my house that they'll be working in."

Recalling one particularly funny incident her father had told her about years ago, Lorelai began laughing. "You'll have to leave the sugaring up to Sookie, Mom. She won't take kindly to your complaints that things are too sweet."

"As long as she doesn't put sugar on the grapefruit, I think we'll be fine."

The two women sat in silence for a few minutes, digesting the conversation.

Lorelai spoke first. "Are you serious, Mom? You want to buy me out and run the inn with Sookie?"

Emily began smiling. "Yes, I am. It will give me something to do in Stars Hollow that will also end up benefiting you, both now and in the long run."

"Should I call Sookie?"

"Yes. Call her and see if she can come over."

*****

Sookie walked in the front door of her house and planted herself on the couch, depressed that her partnership with Lorelai was coming to an end. She suspected after Lorelai announced her pregnancy that this would be the end result but nothing prepared her for the sadness that enveloped her when her best friend confirmed her fears.

Yes, she knew she may be retained as head chef of the Dragonfly's restaurant if they sold the inn to the investors Lorelai talked about, but it wasn't the same as being co-owner. Her decision making power would be drastically cut, which meant she'd have less control over the foods on the menu or other things that happened around the inn.

Sookie had never felt drawn to be a stay-at-home mom when pregnant with any of her three children. It could be that she had conceived them relatively easily at a somewhat younger age. She'd also been able to plan ahead for Davey and Martha, though not for Ruth since that conception was a complete surprise.

She knew that Lorelai wanted another child for years but was scared to broach the subject with Luke. Once that stick turned pink, though, Sookie knew things were going to change— and not for the better.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

It was Lorelai.

*****

Fifteen minutes later, Sookie knocked twice before entering Lorelai's house.

"In here!"

Moving to the direction the voice came from, Sookie walked to the living room to find Emily in the Queen Ann chair and Lorelai patting the seat beside her on the couch.

Emily chatted with Sookie for a moment before turning to Lorelai to take over.

"You're probably wondering why I asked you to come over."

Sookie nodded.

"When I got back from meeting you, my mom made me an interesting proposition. She offered to buy my half of the inn and step into the role of executive manager."

Sookie's eyes widened.

"What do you think? Would you be willing to run the inn with me, Sookie?" Emily asked.

"Are you two serious? Emily, you want to buy Lorelai out and run the Dragonfly?"

"I'd like to if you're in agreement."

Sookie jumped up. "Yes! I only got confirmation from Lorelai a little while ago that she wanted out but, I'll tell ya, it ranked high on the list of the worst moments of my life. Emily, I'd love to retain my portion of the Dragonfly while having someone with know how sign on to manage it!"

The three ladies began talking, going over details each wanted in the purchase agreement.

A few minutes passed before Lorelai fell silent. She couldn't believe her mother would step up to help run the inn so that she didn't have to entirely part with it.

She had to admit, Rory was right. Richard's death changed Emily for the better.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.5K 1K 54
Story begins with those three fateful words - "Mom, I'm pregnant!" Logan is the father, but he's in London - will this pregnancy make him see that w...
58.6K 1.5K 41
Rory's pregnant. Will she tell Logan? Heartache strikes, relationships bent, and more. This is book 1 and there will be a book 2. (Completed) I'm not...
7.8K 220 23
Instead of Rory saying no she says yes!!! This is a story about what is going to happen after Rory says yes to Logan!
18.7K 395 20
A RORY/LOGAN/JESS STORY Rory finds out she is pregnant and the father of her child is engaged... This story takes place after the revival "A Year in...