Another Wrong Turn?

By bellaPiiink

Victoria Strauss’ life is perfect. She has her adventurous friends, her pain-in-the-butt brother and of cours... More

Another Wrong Turn?
Prologue: My Boyfriend Cheated On Me - Ouch.
Chapter One: Meet Vince Strauss, My Annoying Brother
Chapter Two: The Bubblegum-ish Thing
Chapter Three: The Jones Brothers
Chapter Four: My Brother and Best Friend?!
Chapter Five: Alone with Ian at His House
Chapter Six: My Best Friends Awesome Partners
Chapter Seven: I'm A Love Doctor
Chapter Eight: Friendly Date with Ian
Chapter Nine: Two Guys Fighting For Me... HELP!
Chapter Ten: My Heartbroken Brother
Chapter Eleven: Lance Begged For Me
Chapter Twelve: I'm In A Freaking Play... The Heck?
Chapter Thirteen: Practicing to be Elizabeth Bennet
Chapter Fifteen: Evan's Warning
Chapter Sixteen: At the Carnival
Chapter Seventeen: Ian's Eighteenth Birthday Party
Chapter Eighteen: Letting Me Go
Chapter Nineteen: Diamond Necklace
Chapter Twenty: Mending Another Broken Heart
Chapter Twenty-One: Surprising News
Chapter Twenty-Two: Being Gullible Might Be a Good Thing
Chapter Twenty-Three: Locked Out
Chapter Twenty-Four: Mom's Home... Call 911!
Chapter Twenty-Five: Say You Love Me
Chapter Twenty-Six: Meet Philip Kavanagh
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Taken
Chapter Twenty-Eight: His Perfect Revenge
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Sensation of Burning
Epilogue: A Crazy Happy Ever After
Author's Note

Chapter Fourteen: Our Very First Kiss - Very Public

3.8K 85 0
By bellaPiiink

Days quickly passed along and before I knew it, it’s already Saturday, the day of the play. I went to the parlor with Suzanne after we ate lunch with Miranda. Apparently, Miranda will just wear a plain white outfit, like all the narrators will wear.

            Anyway, after being in the parlor with Suzanne, we went to the school and on our way to the Theater Room, we decided to take the back door since the guests were going to arrive at the front door. The make up people—who were our classmates, too—did their job on our faces. Fortunately, I look okay.

            My hair looks good, too. It was up in an elegant way and my bangs were falling down on my forehead neatly. I smiled at my reflection. I look good now and I wasn’t even in my costume yet.

            The door suddenly opened and in came Mrs. York, bringing a bunch of heavy ball gowns on her arm. “Here, this is your dress,” she said, tossing me a big heavy Victorian dress. “Let me look at you.” She looked up at me and smiled. “You look beautiful, Ms. Strauss. I better warn Mr. Jones to concentrate on his lines because I’m sure he’ll forget it when he looks at you!”

            I blushed and laughed. “Yes, you do that,” I joked and the both of us laughed.

            She left the room and I stripped down my clothes and slipped on the heavy Victorian dress. I glanced at the mirror nervously and breathed a sigh of relief. The beige dress looks okay on me, even though I really look uncomfortable wearing it. “Well, Victoria, look at you,” a familiar voice said.

            I turned and saw Vince, grinning at me. I smiled nervously. “Do I look okay? The dress is a little bit scratchy and tight.”

            “I bought a bouquet of flowers,” he said, handing me a bouquet of colorful flowers. “I know that you like colorful flowers so I bought every color.” We laughed. “And as for what you look like now… I got to admit. You look hot in that Victorian dress.”

            I laughed and grabbed the bouquet out of his hands. “Thank you for this,” I said, smiling gratefully. My brother can be really sweet when he wants to. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed his left hand was still on his back. I turned and saw him hiding something from me. I raised an eyebrow. “Are you hiding something?”

            “What? No.”

            “Seriously, Vince.”

            He sighed. He revealed his left hand. “I’m going to give this to Suzanne. Do you think she would like it?”

            On his left hand, was a beautiful red rose. It wasn’t elegant or something but it was really sweet. “Oh my gosh, she would like that, Vince.” Then I looked at him, smirking. “You like her, don’t you?”

            “What are you talking about? ‘Course not.”

            “Don’t lie.”

            Vince rolled his eyes. “Fine! I do like her. I know it’s been a long time since I’ve met her but… I just noticed how pretty and mature she is now after that scene in the kitchen… You know…”

            I nodded. “Yep, I know.” I grinned. “You better get in her room. It’s beside mine.”

            “I know. Mrs. York told me. So… good luck in this play, Ms. Elizabeth Bennet,” he said, winking.

            I rolled my eyes as he closed the door when he left. I slipped on my two-inched white heels and looked at myself in the mirror one last time. I took a deep breath as I muttered my lines under my breath. I do have a lot of lines but how I managed to memorize it in two weeks, I don’t know.

            The door opened and I turned to see who it was. I smiled when I saw it was Evan and Miranda. Then I gasped when I saw Miranda what she wearing.

            She rolled her eyes. “I know I don’t wear dresses but Grandpa forced me to wear this.”

            Miranda was wearing a knee-length white dress. It was strapless and she really looked beautiful with it. Her hair was in a proper ponytail. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen her hair up. Usually, she let it down so she could look like a ‘bad’ girl. She was also wearing open-toed flat sandals and she really looked beautiful.

            “Oh my gosh, you look beautiful. I’m surprised Evan’s not trapped you in the bathroom or something,” I joked, making them laugh.

            Evan grinned. “Miranda just looks gorgeous, isn’t she?” he gushed, glancing at her.

            I smiled. “Yeah, well. How about Ian? Is he in his dressing room?”

            He nodded. “Yep. He’s wearing those kinds of tuxedo from 1800s. And I got to admit, he looks handsome… and funny.”

            I rolled my eyes. “Well, I just hope he remembers his line.”

            “He does, don’t worry. Stayed up one night last week to remember all of it,” Evan said, rolling his eyes.

            “We came by here to say good luck,” Miranda said, grinning. “Well, good luck, Victoria! I hope you won’t forget some lines or something. And, by the way, you really look beautiful.”

            I smiled. “Thanks. You, too.”

            “Good luck, Victoria,” Evan said, winking. “I hope Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy will knock your socks off.”

            I laughed. “I do hope, too.”

            They laughed and left the room with a goodbye. I took a deep breath and sat down on my chair. I studied my script, rereading my long lines and when Mrs. York, who was wearing an evening gown, came in her expression nervous, I can’t help mirroring it. “It’s time, Ms. Strauss,” she said.

            “Oh God,” I muttered, closing my eyes and prayed to God that I won’t forget some lines because that’ll be embarrassing and I’m the main protagonist.

            I opened my eyes again, took a deep breath and stood up, my legs shaking. I checked my reflection one last time, straightening my Victorian dress. It was so long that my shoes can’t be seen and when I walked to the door, it brushed its hems on the floor lightly. I closed the door behind me, noticing that the others look nervous as I am. But I do know I’m more nervous than them since I’m the main character.

            “There you are, Victoria. Oh, wow, you look so pretty,” Suzanne breathed as she walked to me. She was wearing a pink Victorian dress and her curled blonde hair was half up. “You should see Ian. He looks so handsome, too!”

            “I think I’m going to pass out,” I said, breathing heavily. “Damn, this dress is tight!”

            “Tell me about it,” she said, rolling her eyes. “Anyway, we need to go at the backstage now.”

            I nodded and headed there quickly. When we got there, I scanned the backstage for Ian but I just can’t see him. I frowned. Where the hell is he? I just need some reassurance to see him. Just looking at him makes me feel relax and comfortable and he never failed me once.

            Mrs. York clapped her hands to have our attention. “You all ready?” she asked nervously and we nodded anxiously. She smiled. “Okay. I’ll make the introduction now, okay?” She smiled one last time and disappeared as she went in the curtains.

            “Ladies and gentlemen, we are about to begin,” she said to the audience. The curtains were still down so I can’t see how many people were going to watch. “Please relax and enjoy. And please turn your cell phones off since we don’t want anyone to be disturbed as we watch the play. No eating while the play is going on…”

            As she continued talking about the rules, the co-director, a nerd named Patricia Lopez, whispered to me. “Go to your place! You know where it is!”

            I nodded and Suzanne kissed my cheek. “Good luck!” she said.

            “You, too!”

            I went to my position, picking up the book I am supposed to read. I opened the First Impression to a random page and my hands were so sweaty that they left a mark on the page.

            “… Ladies and gentlemen, let the play begin!” Mrs. York announced and I heard her left the stage.

            A second after, the curtains went up and I gasped quietly. There were a lot of people. It’s like the whole high school was going to see us act here on stage! On the front row, I saw Vince smirking and winking at me. Evan was sitting beside him, mirroring Vince’s expression. I took a deep breath, waiting for Miranda, the first narrator, to begin.

            The spotlight was on me and I can feel all the eyes of the whole high school on me. I gulped as I walked nervously to the front of the stage slowly.

            “Elizabeth Bennet, a twenty-year-old young woman, good humored, attractive, clearly nobody’s fool, was walking through a field of tall meadow grass. She was reading a novel entitled First Impressions. She approached Longbourn, a fairly run down 17th Century house with a small moat around it. Elizabeth jumped up onto a wall and crosses the moat by walking a wooden plank duck board, a reckless trick learnt in childhood. She passed the back of the house where, through an open window to the library, we see her mother and father, Mr. and Mrs. Bennet,” Miranda recited clearly.

            I glanced at the make-shift house beside me, gulping. The girl who was playing as Mrs. Bennet recited in a fake English accent dramatically, “My dear Mr. Bennet, have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?” I walked past the house, ignoring them. The girl who was playing continued, “Do you not want to know who has taken it?

            The guy who was playing as Mr. Bennet sighed. “As you wish to tell me, I doubt I have any choice in the matter…

            The play went on and on. And after two hours, my mouth was aching from talking and my fake English accent. And I must admit, Ian does look handsome in his tuxedo from the 1800s. On the backstage, waiting for our turn, he whispered to me that I look pretty tonight and I blushed. Then I remembered that I’m going to kiss him later. I found myself looking forward for it.

            My feet were also aching from walking around. I’m not the heels type of girl. My back was also aching from standing and sitting up straight. I should be acting as a regal someone. After all, I am Elizabeth Bennet.

            The audience was pretty good, too. They weren’t yawning as I expected them to be on the beginning of the play. It was just that… this is high school and they ought to be bored in this kind of thing. But, surprisingly, they weren’t. Even Vince and Evan look interested.

            I groaned internally. Then again, Vince would like to see me kissing a guy. He never saw me before kissing a guy on the lips before. I kiss Lance on the cheek when he’s around since it’s awkward for Vince to see that.

            “Quick! Victoria! It’s the last part!” Patricia said quietly, ushering me to the side of the stage. “This is the part when Ian proposes to you! And after that, he’ll kiss you and while you kiss, the curtains will go down.”

            I nodded; I already know this part. Mrs. York had explained this already. I took a deep breath as I ran on the center of the stage, the spotlight on me. Ian was running to me and he captured me in a tight hug. I hugged him back, placing my head on his shoulders and both of my hands on his neck. His hands were on my waist and I lifted my feet off the ground as he spun us around. When he let go of me, he put his hands on both of my cheek. He looked at me lovingly, like I’m the only girl in the world. And in that time, I forgot about the audience watching us intently. I forgot that my brother was watching this. I forgot that the whole student body and the teachers were watching us. What matters is that Ian’s here in front of me, holding me and never letting go of me.

            He smiled at me. His usual smile, not like his fake smiles during the play. I like his genuine smile. His eyes were twinkling and I smiled excitedly, waiting impatiently to say yes so he could kiss me.

            “Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you. I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgement, my family’s expectation, the inferiority of your birth, my rank and circumstances—all these things—but I am willing to put them aside and ask you to end my agony,” he recited flawlessly, looking at me intently.

            I gulped and looked at him, pretending to be puzzled. “I don’t understand,” I said quietly, but loud enough so that everyone could hear me.

            Ian took a deep breath and went down on his knees. A hand flew on my chest, clutching it dramatically. I gasped, feigning to be surprised.

            He looked up at me and held my hands tightly. “I love you. Most ardently. Please do me the honor of accepting my hand.

            I broke into a charming smile and I nodded. “Of course.”

            He grinned at me and stood up. For a moment, we were just staring at each other. Then his hands flew around me, wrapping me in a tight hug. I hugged him back, burying my head on his neck, breathing his cologne. When he let go of me, his eyes were sparkling with amusement and I know mine were, too.

            He leaned closer and when our faces were inches away, he paused, brushing his lips to mine. I closed my eyes, preparing his lips to press to mine. But he was pausing. This was not on the script. He must kiss me after the hug!

            Then he whispered, “I love you.” But before I could react, his lips crashed down to mine. His lips were just perfect when he kisses me and my hands flew on the back of his head, tugging on his hair. His hands were on my waist, pressing me closer to him. Everything disappeared again—the audience, the teachers, and the students. Ian and I were the only who exists in my world. There’s no one stopping us.

            The kiss turned into an intense kiss and I don’t know how many minutes we stayed there, kissing. Then I heard the curtains go down, but he was still kissing me and I was still kissing him. I just love the feeling of my lips on his. It feels perfect and I don’t want to let go.

            Then someone cleared her throat. Ian let go of me and the both of us were breathless. I turned to the person who was clearing her throat. It was Mrs. York, raising an eyebrow. “The play’s done, Mr. Jones and Ms. Strauss.”

            “I—I—.” I began.

            “You did well!” she suddenly cried, her hands flying around me. Then she let go. “The play is a success!” Then she turned to the others who were watching me, shocked, their mouths open. “There’s a big party at the gym after the audience will go. I want everyone to go there!”

            The others continued to stare at us and I gulped. Hell no. I just made out with Ian in front of the audience, in front of everyone! How could I do that? Why the hell I did made out with him? Now everyone will think I’m such a slut or something!

            “The cast, the cast,” Mrs. York said urgently to Patricia.

            “Oh!” she said, startled. “The main cast… please go in front of the stage so you could be recognized.”

            I nodded and glanced at Ian. His cheeks were pink and he looks surprised. He looked back at me then suddenly looked away. Before I could say anything, someone dragged me to the curtains and suddenly, I was in front of the audience again. I looked up and saw Suzanne, smiling at the audience. Then she turned to me. “Damn, Victoria! You made out with Ian in front of these people!”

            I groaned. “I know! I feel like a slut…”

            “No! Don’t ever think of that!” she scolded. “The kiss was perfect! It was so freaking perfect!”

            “Perfect? I made out with him in front of the audience—.”

            “Because that’s what Mrs. York told you two. To kiss each other.”

            “Kissing and making out is very different, Suzanne.”

            “Ah, heck, Victoria—.”

            “I’m proud to present the main characters of the Pride and Prejudice!” Mrs. York suddenly announced loudly, her voice echoing at the Theater Room. “Victoria Strauss as Elizabeth Bennet!”

            I half-expected that the audience will be booing me or someone will shout that I’m a slut or something. I was surprised when I was greeted by a deafening cheer. My jaw dropped. What the…? Then I saw Vince and Evan, clapping and howling excitedly. Then my face broke into a smile. I bowed happily.

            “Ian Jones as Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy!”

            The audience cheered for Ian, too. He smiled at them—his usual charming smile. Then he took a bow.

            As Mrs. York continued introducing us, I was trying to get the attention of Ian. But he was too far away. He was on the right side and I was on the left side. I desperately wanted to talk to him. I want to ask why he told me he loved me before he kissed me. That wasn’t on the script and I know he has a reason for saying that.

            “Thank you for being here, ladies and gentlemen. Have a good night!” Mrs. York said one last time and the audience clapped.

            Then everyone started getting up, stretching and complaining about how numb their asses were. Suzanne sighed dreamily. “This was a good play,” she said, smiling. “Don’t you think, Victoria?”

            “Uh, yeah, sure.”

            “Let’s go back to the dressing room.”

            “You go ahead. I need to talk to Ian,” I said, smiling. She nodded, understanding. I bade her goodbye and ran to Ian, who was walking slowly to his dressing room. “Wait! Ian!”

            He stopped on his tracks and looked at me. He forced a smile. Not that smile he used to wear that will reach his eyes. “Hey, Victoria,” he said.

            “I wanted to ask you about what you told me before… before we… you know. Why did you tell me you loved me?” I asked, bracing myself for the answer.

            He sighed. “I, uh… I don’t know what I said that. I think it’s appropriate, right? So the audience would see that Mr. Darcy truly loves Elizabeth.”

            “But you whispered it! The audience won’t hear that!”

            “Well, it came out wrong.”

            I frowned at him. “Are you sure about that, Ian?”

            “Let’s not talk about it, Victoria, okay? I don’t want to make it a big deal. It’s just a kiss in a play. I kissed you for the sake of the play and nothing else,” Ian said slowly. “I don’t know what you were thinking when I kissed you but there’s nothing more than that. And I know you don’t want me thinking more about it because I know you still love Lance. And I still love Patricia.”

            Crap! I forgot about Patricia Mercer! I’m such an asshole! I forgot about Patricia and their past! I’m such a good friend! No wonder he feels bad for kissing me. Maybe he’s thinking that he’s cheating on Patricia or something.

            I sighed. “Do you feel bad because of kissing me?”

            “What? No.”

            “Say the truth.”

            He rolled his eyes. “Yeah, maybe a little. I still love Patricia and I feel like I’m backstabbing her for kissing you intensely.”

            “Well, just as you said… it was only a play.”

            “Yeah, it was only a play,” he repeated. Then he smiled at me. “That was one hell of a first kiss, wasn’t it?”

            I nodded, laughing. “Very public.”

            Then the together of us walked to our dressing rooms, talking about the play. But none of us brought up the subject about the kiss.

            But I got to admit, that was the best kiss I’ve ever had in my life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17K 221 6
Meet Jennie Mett, Ice queen and Queen Bee of the most popular private high school in New York. She has the power to scare people around her, she has...
23K 942 6
When 18 year-old trust fund kid Quinn York's tourist shuttle to Mars unexpectedly crashes, he wakes up only remembering one name: Celeste. He knows h...
306K 9.8K 29
When a beautiful girl named Cleo Johnson moves to Palm Point, South Carolina. She meets the most amazing, Attractive, and mysterious guy she has eve...
221K 4.1K 29
All Nadine Carter has ever wanted was to live happily with her parents, have a loving sweet boyfriend and friends she could count on. When she reache...