Deceiving Veils

By LettingYouIn

About a time when anarchy took over a place where once order prevailed. She being daughter of the one whose d... More

Prologue
Chapter-1 {Other side of the fence}
Chapter-2{The bitter}
Chapter-3 {Fragile}
Chapter-4{Not that word}
Chapter-5 {Contrasting Confrontations}
Chapter-6{Haze}
Chapter 7{Two loose ends}
Chapter-8{Whys}
Chapter-9{Promise?}
Chapter-10{Undefined stakes}
Chapter-11{An end or a beginning}
Chapter-12{Standing at door of dark chamber}
Chapter-13{Hers to walk}
Chapter-14{Unfolding}
Chapter-15{Veils}
Chapter-16 {Shutting you out}
Chapter-17{This ain't getting solved}
Chapter-18 {It's Nothing}
Chapter-19{Stakes and a life}
Chapter-20{She has to}
Chapter-21{Not now, Not ever}
Chapter-22{That sweet tension}
Chapter-23{Helpless intrusions}
Chapter-24{I don't want to talk}
Chapter-25{Equations and complexities}
Chapter-26{Sweet Tantrums}
Chapter-27{Turning back the clock}
Chapter-28{Before the storm}
Chapter-29{Defying the Dark}
Chapter-30 {The furnace}
Chapter-31{Amendments}
Chapter-32{Unrest}
Chapter-33{Storming}
Chapter-34{A good night}
Chapter-35{A little more snarled}
Chapter-36 {Symphony}
Chapter-37{Intersection point}
Chapter-38{Fire and Ice}
Chapter-39{From the ashes}
Chapter-40{A fire shall be woken}
Chapter-41 {Cold harsh ground}
Chapter-42{We see the light}
Chapter-43{Won't ever let you go}
Chapter-44{Bridge Of Eyes}
Chapter-45 {An abode and loose ends}
Chapter-46{Sealing the gaps}
Chapter-47{A day of dawns}
Chapter-48{Pull and Push}
Chapter- 49{Battle of flames}
Chapter- 50{Taming the heat}
Chapter-51{It's not what it seems}
Chapter-52{Days without nights}
Chapter-53{ Travail of inception}
Chapter-54{A Turning Point}
Chapter-55{Sweet knots which ache sour}
Chapter-57 {Alternate Tophet}
Chapter- 58{will-o'-the-wisp}
Chapter-59{ Sweet vengeance}
Chapter-60 {Warrior princess and a knight}
Chapter- 61{Ghosts of Boneyard}
Chapter - 62{Everything and nothing}
Chapter-63 {Bare Souled }
Chapter -64{Nowhere else to be}
Chapter- 65{And It starts}
Chapter-66-A{Day and night}
Chapter-67 {Surfacing wounds}
Chapter- 68{Before he fastens it}
•| TEASER |•
Chapter-69 {Soft Snowflakes}
Chapter -70 {Metamorphosis}
Author's Note

Chapter-56 {Into the murk}

2.1K 257 72
By LettingYouIn

A night bathed in starlight; Nandini snuggled into her warm quilt gazing the sky. Bonfire beside was heating the mist and golden view couldn't look more beautiful. She smiled instinctively. Night hadn't felt this calm in a long time. Her eyes roamed around to find everyone fast asleep after a day long wayfare. Only one person was missing and he was surely not the reason behind her lost sleep. Nandini sighed deep making herself believe that she couldn't be bothered. Manik had chosen not to sleep because he thought someone needed to keep a watch. Nandini was again angry thinking about the man who could never be elementary. There was a furnace inside her continuously burning her heart. His presence had brought this conflict. She was at peace with her heart at grill. 

Getting up, she walked towards creek. Its sound was somewhat a lullaby. Her eyes roamed needlessly to find the man who had pledged to be only subject in her mind. Her eyes caught a glimpse of him as he laid on grand branch. It seemed like a swing tree had made. His eyes were closed and his arms made a pillow for his big head. Nandini walked past him not wanting to wake him up. She didn't need words at the moment. She stretched her brows trying to get him off her mind. She stood at rim of creek gazing the steady water. 

Manik opened his eyes once he sensed her still. She was standing at edge of creek with her arms folded across her chest. Her wisps had frost as mist bathed her. His heart swelled as he sighed deep containing the urge of reaching her and holding close. She was right in front of his eyes, that was enough for now. Her stance was still stiff. He knew she hadn't forgiven him yet. 

Nandini stepped on rock in water and that was cue for Manik to get up. He walked towards creek while she was busy playing hopscotch in wetland. His eyes didn't miss a single move of her as he walked stealthily towards her. 

"You would slip," He yelled as she lost her balance a bit. She jumped in her place hearing his panicked voice while he jumped into knee level water. Her cloths drenched as splashes of it soaked her. His arms secured her instantly as he climbed her down that rock. Everything happened in blink of eyes that Nandini failed to understand what was the urgency. All she knew now she stood in cold water drenched with his warm clutch soothing her skin. 

"Are you mad?" He asked panicked while she wiped her wet wisps off her face. 

"Are you mad?" She asked baffled. 

He kept glaring her while she demanded answer for the little stunt. 

"Who does what you were doing on those rocks?" He said gritting his teeth. 

"You were about to slip," He added and she huffed in anger. Her body wriggled under his clutch as she tried to come out of his warm touch. 

"I was not going to slip," She cleared and he looked at her in disbelief. 

"There is no constant need to tell me off for everything I do," She said and his eyes softened. She surely wasn't talking about what just happened. She was phrasing her hurt in vague words. She stole a glance of him, maybe she needed to know if he was listening her. His touch firmed around her waist as he stepped closer. His breath fanned her forehead while her attempt to get out of his grip fainted. 

"Nandini," He started to say after a long breath. He had a lot to make up for. 

"I am sleepy," She interrupted. He didn't budge and she waited. 

He nodded and planted a firm kiss on her forehead before letting her go. 

She walked out of water disheartened. He didn't even try to make her stay. It was true how she didn't want to listen to him but she did want to him to say something. She punished her lip in utter fury as she walked back to bonfire. 

_____________________

"Where is she?" Harshad asked the lady who had helped Nandini with essentials. She stood there with her head hung low. She wasn't going to reveal where Nandini was. She had promised. Besides, she thought it was for best that Nandini had left because they all were killing her bit by bit. 

"I don't know," She lied yet again and Harshad banged the table with his fist. It was pure disappointment for him that Nandini was gone. It was true he wanted her away from state decisions but it was again true it was she who had started it all. He couldn't name it but a void was eating him. It was like nothing was going to be worth it now. His ego had started the conflict and it was eating him now. 

"Who else?' He asked his men. 

"Manik," His man revealed and Harshad chuckled knowingly. Shaking his head, he sighed deep. Manik was helping him out in preparation of war. Harshad was somewhat liking the sense of absolute with how events were falling. He was feeling invincible with a helpless Nandini and complying Manik. 

"And Aashi and Aryan as well," Other man divulged. Harshad's face pained for something very known. He knew that feeling. He couldn't deny that he could feel a connect with Aashi. She mattered always even when her people didn't. 

"So the family is gone the way they had arrived," He uttered trying to cop up with this unnamed defeat. 

"Without herald," He murmured to himself. 

"Nothing changes. Let those go away who never belonged here. This war will happen," He announced and leaned into his chair. It was a lie that nothing changed. 

________________

"When does he sleep?" Jas asked and Nandini closed her eyes trying not to upbraid him. 

"I mean he is even human?" He asked and Nandini glared him. 

"Stop with these questions now," She commanded and Jas shrugged his shoulder innocently. 

"I was just curious. I thought you would tell you know...you seem to know him," He said casually and Nandini looked at Manik who was cleaning his rifle. His eyes were on his weapon. He looked at her as next thing and Nandini startled. 

"I don't know him," Nandini lied to get rid of Jas's nagging. 

Soon they all were on feet resuming their journey towards a juncture they didn't know was right or not. 

Sun welcomed them in new day and Nandini thanked God for little mercy. Her father had clutched her hand as they walked. He was quiet since they had started this journey. She knew he was feeling scared. He was liking it back in camp. She was guilty somewhat for snatching the rest he deserved but again all of this struggle was to protect for what he had lost his mind, their land. 

She looked at Manik who was now standing at top of upslope which they were ascending from last few minutes. His eyes were trying to gauge something. It was beyond her comprehension how he had slipped himself in position of gaffer so stealthily. It had taken some burden off her shoulders. All this feeling of taking a call was still new to her. He was somewhat making it easier by choosing right paths. 

Nandini reached there after Aryan. She could see a road with two open ends. They stood at side of it, just a step away from taking all their efforts to concrete level. A smile played on her lips and she couldn't resist looking at Manik who was already looking at her. He smiled back knowing she was happy at her first success. They had successfully made it out of forest. 

"To the right," Aryan said after doing some maths and Nandini waited for few seconds before she followed. Manik matched her steps and tried to walk beside. She didn't mind. Maybe a moment of respite was all they needed. There were going to be more little victories from now on. Nandini had a feeling. 

Nandini's eyes roamed across the grand mountain range in front of her eyes. View was sumptuous. She could feel her mind coming out of shackles of doubts. She didn't know where these paths would lead her. But she could hear her heart talking back to her after a very long time. And it said each step was towards betterment. She sighed in content and reached for hand she wanted in hers. Manik looked at her almost surprised. Her fingers had clutched his palm tightly as she looked at those mountains. Her eyes had something he had never seen. He reached for those fingers to pull her palm into his. Holding it firm, he let her remain silent. 

"I think we should take some rest. He is tired," Jas yelled from behind. Nandini came out of her reverie and realized her hand was in Manik's. Taking it away, she looked back. Her father had already found himself a rock to sit on. He looked very tired and drained out. She ran to reach him. 

Manik glared Jas not knowing about what. Jas shrugged off his shoulder as he reached Nandini. Handing her water bottle, he sniggered at Manik. Manik hated that kid at first instant and now he knew why. That kid knew what he was doing when he pretended he didn't. 

"He is just a playful kid, Manik," Manik heard his sister say. He found her right beside him. She too had this simper on her face. 

"Did I ask about him?" Manik snapped at Aashi and her smile vanished. He walked away leaving a baffled Aashi. They hadn't talked since Manik had joined in. Fact was that they didn't talk ever since there was this clash of opinions. Aashi tried to hide her hurt behind a smile as she looked at Nandini. 

____________

Soil flowed down the valley as four men walked down. It was dead dark in sky pouring its heart out. They all had worn hats. One of them reached a man who was standing by a corpse. He looked at that dead-body keenly. 

"Check his pockets," Man in hat told the other one. Other three men too reached the place. 

"Nothing," Man wearing dirty cloths informed. 

Those four men looked into some discussion as they moved a bit away from that corpse and man in dirty cloths. He gulped as he clutched a wet paper in his hand. He carefully slipped it into his pockets when his masters were busy discussing something very grave. 

"Get rid of this body and search around if he had some company," One of his masters said and he nodded. 

"Bishnu," One of his masters called his name. 

"Don't try to be smart," He warned and Bishnu nodded. 

Horses neighed as those four men left one by one riding their horses. Bishnu sighed in relief. He took out the paper from his pocket and opened it in haste. His hands trembled as he found last few words washing in rainwater. 

This part of state had all their hopes in miracles. That corpse lying in front of him was of a spy who had come from north. North east was in claws of traitors. Opportunists had not failed to rule this part of state once government failed. Dictator had bought these scumbags masters of his and now they were the lord who hailed to only one man. That one man was dictator. He paid them heavy price and in return this local mafia helped him killing every chance of revolt. 

Bishnu kicked the stone in anger as that corpse laid there reflecting one more defeat. That spy had died a death of a hare with bullet of mafia. Bishnu dragged the corpse towards dark forest to bury it with his hopes. 

__________

Nandini stuck to tree as sky didn't cease to melt. Her eyes welled seeing her father who was trembling now. She cursed herself. Weather had gone bipolar. It was all clear till evening and now it was raining cats and dogs. She adjusted the cloth on her father's head as water flowed down his body. It was a shame how she couldn't protect him. 

"Here," Manik yelled amid deafening sound of rain. He had readied a temporary shed of wood and bushes. Nandini walked her father towards it and he squashed into it. 

"Come on," Manik yelled at trembling Aashi who was still standing terrified under a tree. Manik's heart sank seeing his little sister that feared. She nodded and ran into that little space. 

"Get in," Manik asked Nandini and she looked at him finally. She was too distracted and panicked to look at him before. Water was flowing down his face. His brows were twitched into a frown. 

"I am fine," She said not wanting to take that shed. 

"Get in, Nandini," He commanded in sound of plead. 

She let her knees bent at that voice and sat in congested space. She didn't want that shed. She didn't want to have this privilege. 

"Jas," She yelled getting out as feeling didn't cease to subside. 

"Get in there," She yelled as he looked pale in wet cold. 

He shook his head trying to tell how he was fine. Nandini's heart cried seeing the wrath of sky, It was her who was reason of all those people taking this spleen of weather. 

"I said get in NOW," She yelled but her voice choked. He didn't protest this time and walked into the narrow shed. He was a kid who wasn't supposed to walk this tough paths. She gulped the strain her heart was feeling. 

Aryan was still standing in rain. He smiled at her trying to tell her he was fine. She didn't have an option. Her eyes found Manik's eyes who was standing right beside her holding the little shed he had made. His face was pained somewhat. The same failure was on his face which was on hers. They both are trying to protect something. He could see her eyes flowing in downpour. Veils of it was failing. He could read how she was feeling defeated. Grabbing her arm, he pushed her into tree. She gasped at his action. Hovering her in scurry, he barred the rainwater to touch her. Her eyes met his in dark. She couldn't look into them but she could feel his warmth. Her chin wobbled. She couldn't have this warmth. She wasn't ready yet. Neither she deserved this shield when she knew her people stood in rain, when she knew he would still face the wrath of sky. She tried to look into his eyes in that dark. She moved out of his caging clasp as turmoil deepened. Sliding to that giant tree's bark, she looked away. Manik banged the tree with his fist in frustration. 

"Why won't you let me?" He yelled not being able to hold it anymore. 

She looked at him in urgency as she sensed his disturbance. 

"I want to get used to it, Manik," She replied and his demeanor softened. 

"Stand beside me, please," She pleaded. His muscle tightened to a hurtful extent before he turned his back on tree. It took him a battle to give in. Standing beside her, he reached out for her hand. 

"Now don't ask me to leave your hand," he barked and Nandini clutched his hand tight. 

She wasn't going to. She knew it took him everything to let her stand in rain. She closed her eyes praying to God if he could halt the torment. 

__________

__________________

Unedited*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

222K 5.2K 41
"Don't you get it? You know when you try to run away, punishment like this happens." he said teasingly, squeezing my chest. I gasped for air, I reall...
419 139 35
Two lives connected by fate. Two lives, two hearts. One love. Breaking each other's walls, Indigo and Daniel defeat enemies in the game, unraveling s...
303K 10.3K 34
When 17 year old Emilee meets unknown punk rock band Black Veil Brides, she has no idea who they are!! But she soon learns they'll play a huge part i...
3.8K 168 7
He loved her from a far, he disired her, craved her but he let her go and waited for the right time to cage her in his dark world. Like a predator. T...