Muted Love

By BriannaPeace

Picture is not mine and neither is Naruto Sasuke has been mute ever since his accident and all his brother... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Ending
Chapter 28

Chapter 8

3.1K 142 178
By BriannaPeace

“Alright guys, let's help set up the easels and get started, yeah?” Kakashi clapped his hands, trying to get the attention of the room who had their eyes focused on Sai and Naruto.

    “Wait a minute!” Ino put her hand up towards Kakashi. “I need to know more about this!”

    “There's nothing more to tell.” Naruto glared at her.  “He's my ex and that's it.” He stepped aside and walked towards Kakashi.  He grabbed an easel and walked towards the back of the room where he began to set up.

    Sasuke was the first to get over his shock and soon followed after the blonde and set up his own easel relatively close.

    The rest of the group gave each other weary looks before setting up their own easels throughout the room.

    “So everyone, today the theme of your painting is going to be emotion.” Sai clapped his hands together and looked around the room. “You can pick any emotion you want. The goal of this painting is for us to see it and guess which emotion you're trying to express. Now, go ahead and get started.”

    “What emotion are you doing?” Naruto asked Sasuke dully.

    Sasuke gave him a shrug.  ‘I don't know,  apathy?’

    Naruto snorted. “Of course.” He dipped his brush into the purple paint.

    With a roll of his eyes, Sasuke dipped his own brush into the black paint. ‘What about you? Something stupid like joy?’

    “Shut up, asshole.” Naruto glared at him before turning to his canvas and giving it a sad smile. “I was maybe thinking nostalgia.”

    Sasuke’s eyes widened slightly. ‘I didn't even know you knew that word, let alone what it means.’

    Naruto sucked his teeth but otherwise ignored the raven. Sasuke gave him a smirk before turning back to his own painting.

    “Naruto.” Naruto looked up from his painting to see Sai standing next to him, a smile on his face.

    “What Sai?” He let out a sigh before turning back to his painting.

    “Just wanted to know what you're working on.” He bent down and gave a quick glance over Naruto’s shoulder. “Also I wanted to know how you've been.”

    “I'm working on a painting. And I've been just fine, thank you very much.” He gave him a big, fake smile.

     Sasuke tapped Naruto on the shoulder opposite from where Sai was standing. ‘Tell him to fuck off and leave you alone.’

     Naruto rolled his eyes but otherwise ignored Sasuke. He turned back to Sai who was staring at Sasuke intently. “What do you want, Sai?”

    Sai slowly turned his gaze to Naruto and gave him a smile. “Is he your new boyfriend?”

    ‘Tell him yes. He'll leave us alone.’ Sasuke quickly interrupted before Naruto could speak.

     Naruto glared at Sasuke. “Shut up.” He practically hissed. He turned to Sai.  “No. He's not.”

     “So who is he to you?” Sai’s smile seemed to grow wider.

     ‘It's not too late to go back on the boyfriend idea.’

     Naruto let out a growl as he turned to Sasuke. “Knock it off and butt out.” He once again turned to Sai.  “Not like its any of your business,” he replied through clenched teeth. “But I'm his caretaker. Now,  what. Do. You. Want?”

     “Well,  since he's not really giving the two of us any privacy,” his smile faltered as he glanced at Sasuke. “So what do you think about getting some drinks tonight and catching up for old times sake?”

     ‘Don't go anywhere with this asshole, Naruto. Tell him to eat shit.’ Sasuke glared at the raven man.

     Naruto rolled his eyes at Sasuke’s comment. “Sai, you know damn well I'm not old enough to get drinks.”

     “But what about your dad’s ID? You two look almost identical and you've used it before.”

     Sasuke looked at Naruto, confused. ‘You're dad? But I thought you were an orphan?’

     Naruto chose to once again ignore Sasuke. “That's not me anymore, Sai.” He sighed, looking at his painting sadly. “Please just leave me alone.”

     Sai watched the blonde carefully before standing up straight. “Alright.  If you change your mind about tonight, you know where to find me.”

     Naruto and Sasuke both watched Sai walk away to go check up on Kiba and Suigetsu.

     ‘So, care to explain any of that to me?’ Sasuke asked after some time of silence.

     “Just drop it,  Sasuke.” Naruto looked at him tiredly before going back to his own painting.

     The next thirty minutes were spent in silence between the two boys. Kakashi clapped his hands,  grabbing everyone's attention in the room.  “Alright guys,  I hope that was enough time for everyone to finish their paintings! Now we're each going to show each other's paintings and guess which emotion that person painted.” His eyes closed,  curving up to show he was smiling.

     “Is there any prize for whoever guesses right? Or if someone's painting stumps everyone?” Kiba asked excitedly.

     Sai, who was standing next to Kakashi, smiled at him. “No prize, but just the knowledge that you are good at detecting emotions.”

     Kiba pouted, crossing his arms over his chest and mumbling under his breath.

     “So who wants to go first?” Kakashi asked the room. Sai walked over to Naruto and sat down in a chair next to him, opposite Sasuke.

      Sasuke sneered at the raven as he whispered into the blonde’s ear causing him to snort.

      “I will!” Karin lifted up her hand. “Though to be honest, I didn't realize we would be showing everyone our paintings.” She walked over to where Kakashi was standing and placed her canvas on the empty easel.

     As soon as everyone was able to see it, Kiba and Suigetsu, began to laugh. Karin’s cheeks turned bright red as she glared at the two boys. Sasuke looked at the painting with mild horror as Ino shook her head in disappointment.  

     “Let me guess,” Kiba finally gasped out after laughing. “You chose crazy?”

     “No you stupid mutt-lover!” Karin stomped her foot angrily.

     “Love.” Sai quickly spoke up.

     Besides Naruto and Sasuke,  the rest of them looked at him in surprise.

     “How does a badly done painting of Sasuke equal love?” Suigetsu looked at him as if he grew a second head.

     “Its obvious that Karin has feelings for Sasuke.” Sai pointed out and immediately, Karin’s face darkened. “The painting is also painted with red and pink hues in the background. And since she doesn't seem to angry with Sasuke, the only logical choice would be love.”

     Naruto looked at him, surprised. “I'm impressed. You've come a long way since high school when you could barely tell the difference from happiness and sadness.”

     Sai gave him a bright smile. “It's amazing how much you can learn from college.”

     Sasuke scowled at Sai. ‘It should be common knowledge to read at least basic emotions. What an idiot.’

     Naruto glared at the raven. ‘Why do you have to be an asshole all the time? He's doing pretty good for himself and that's all that matters. Quit ragging on the guy, you don't even know him.’ He huffed in his seat and faced the front where Kiba was walking up with his painting.

     Kiba loudly set his painting on the easel and faced the room with a toothy grin. “Alright guys, go ahead and guess!” He laughed haughtily. “If you can that is.”

     “Excitement.” Ino replied nonchalantly.

     Kiba gave her a look of disbelief. “How did you-?”

     She rolled her eyes before crossing her arms over her chest. “You painted your dog, Akamaru. And he looks like he's wagging his tail. It was the  first thought that came to my head.”

     Kiba began to mumble under his breath as he stomped his way back to his seat.

     Ino stood up after him, her canvas in her hand. As she set the painting on the easel, she turned to face the room and shyly tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

     “That's really good, Ino.” Sai praised her.

     “Thank you.” She blushed. “It's a self portrait of how I want to see myself.”

     “Oh!” Karin excitedly spoke up. “Strength!”

      Ino shook her head. “No, but you're close.”

      “Confidence.” Naruto spoke up.

     Ino smiled brightly at him and nodded. “You got it!”

     Sai grabbed Naruto’s arm and squeezed it gently. “Good job.”

     Naruto blushed at the contact and rubbed the area that Sai touched him. Sasuke watched the pair with narrowed eyes until Suigetsu came up with his own canvas.

     “Water!” Kiba immediately shouted as he saw the painting.

      Suigetsu stared at him blankly. “No shit,  Sherlock. But just in case you weren't informed, water is not an emotion.”

     Sasuke elbowed Naruto to get his attention.

     Naruto quickly turned his head and glared. “What?” He practically hissed.

     ‘Serenity.’

     Naruto looked at him, shocked. He turned to look at Suigetsu then nervously cleared his throat. “Sasuke guesses serenity.”

     Suigetsu blinked once before sucking his teeth and glaring. “I thought it would be a lot harder than that.” He took his painting and sat down in his seat.

     “Nice one, Sasuke.” Naruto gave him a cheeky grin before standing up and setting his own canvas onto the easel for everyone to see.

     Naruto’s painting wasn't anything specific, just a mix of different shades of blue and purples swirled in an intricate design.

     Sasuke narrowed his eyes at Naruto. ‘This painting doesn't seem like its nostalgia.’

     Naruto gave Sasuke a smirk. “That's because it's  not nostalgia, Sasuke. But nice guess.”

     The room was quiet as everyone thought about what Naruto's painting represented.

     “Melancholy.” Sai finally replied with a sad smile.

     The rest of the room looked at him with confused faces, except for Sasuke who sneered, crossing his arms over his chest.

     Naruto nodded and returned a sad smile. “You got it.” He reached for his painting but Ino quickly raised her hand. “Yeah Ino?”

    “I don't want to seem rude but,” she nervously looked towards Sai. “But how did you get that from just a pattern?”

     Sai gave her a warm smile. “Well besides the fact that I know Naruto and it's easy for me to read him,” he winked at Naruto who blushed in return. “I could mostly tell by the colors. I can see at first, Naruto used light shades of blues and purples, which would've been good for Sasuke’s guess of nostalgia. But as he painted longer, the shades get darker and darker, some even looking black which brings about a sadder tone.”

     “Oh, okay, I get it.” Ino nodded.

     Naruto grabbed his painting and sat down in his seat.

     “Nice work. I'll take it if you don’t want it.” Sai smiled at Naruto.

     Naruto smiled sadly at the painting before shaking his head. “No, I think I'll keep it. I need to decorate my room anyways.”

     Sasuke walked up to the front of the room and set his painting on the easel and stuffed his hands in his pocket.

     “I thought you were supposed to be painting apathy?” Naruto asked with a smirk.

     ‘Guess we both had our own surprises.’ Sasuke retorted.

     “Hey!” Kiba pointed an accusatory finger at Naruto,  then Sasuke. “You two are cheating! You told each other what you were going to paint!”

     Both Sasuke and Naruto rolled their eyes. “And how well did that work, Kiba? Since neither of us painted what we said we were going to do.” Naruto raised an eyebrow at him.

     “Oh. You're right.”

     Karin stood up and cleared her throat, getting everyone's attention. “It's jealousy.” Everyone's eye's widened at her answer and Naruto immediately looked to Sasuke who nodded.

     “How did you know that?” Ino asked looking at the painting carefully. “If anything I would've guessed anger. The red eyes looked narrowed in anger.”

    Karin tilted her head. “I would agree except for the swirls of green surrounding it. Green is usually the color of envy. The red is the anger that comes with the jealousy.”

     “Nice analyzing, Karin.” Sai complimented as Sasuke sat down.

     “Its probably because she's jealous all the time that it just came easily to her.” Suigetsu said with a snicker.

     Karin was about to say something until Kakashi stood up. “Either way, it's good for her to be able to see someone else's emotions. Good job, Karin.” He clapped his hands together and smiled. “That's all the time we have for today, I'll see everyone on Friday!”

     The room began to disperse. Naruto stopped Sasuke before he left the room. “Here, wait in the car. I'm going to help Sai.” Sasuke narrowed his eyes as he watched Naruto smile at the raven.

     Sai began to walk towards him and Sasuke’s glare narrowed. ‘Don't be so jealous, Sasuke.’ Sasuke’s eyes widened as he watched Sai sign. ‘Naruto wasn't even yours to begin with. No matter what his feelings are, they'll never be as strong as they were for me. Better to just give up before you get hurt.’ He gave a nasty smirk to Sasuke as Sasuke flipped him off.

      “Sasuke!” Naruto scolded. “Why are you being so rude today? Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?”

     Sasuke sneered as Sai smiled sweetly in front of Naruto. ‘Just hurry up, Naruto.’ He walked out of the room and to the car.

     “Sorry about him. He doesn't like anyone though, really.” Naruto sheepishly rubbed the back of his head.

     Sai smiled at him. “Its okay. You can't control him so it's not like I can blame you anyways.” They reached Sai’s car and Naruto helped him load up the easels. “Thanks for helping me out. And I really hope I see you tonight.” He leaned down and captured Naruto's lips in a kiss.

     Naruto's eyes widened in surprise and he stared at Sai, shocked, not kissing him back.

     Sai pulled away with a half lidded smile. “Bye Naruto.”

     “Uh, b-bye.” Naruto turned and started to walk to his car, he gently touched his lips and tried to hide a smile.

     When he got into the car, Sasuke glared at him.  He narrowed his own cerulean eyes at the raven. “What?”

      Sasuke rolled his eyes and looked out the opposite window.

      At first, the pair was quiet. Silence filled the car ride until Naruto was stopped at a red light. He turned to look at Sasuke who was still staring out the window. “So uh, why'd you change your painting to jealousy?”

     Sasuke didn't move, continuing to stare out the window. Naruto let out a sigh and turned to look at the light.

     Sasuke tapped his shoulder and Naruto turned to look. ‘Only if you tell me why you changed yours.’

     Naruto blinked before smiling widely. “Alright.  But you tell me yours first.”

     ‘I just feel envious over people.’ He paused, taking in Naruto's reaction. Naruto stayed silent as he continued to drive and waited for Sasuke to continue. ‘I'm jealous that people are brave enough to say what's on their mind while I'm stuck staying silent.’

     Naruto nodded once. “You know, you could always try to actually speak.” He gave him a cheeky grin.

     Sasuke gave him a pointed look before rolling his eyes. ‘Alright. Now tell me your reasoning.’

     “I first decided nostalgia as soon as Sai gave us the task. But the more I thought about the past, the sadder I got. And then I decided instead of wallowing in my sadness, I'll change my emotion.”

     ‘Why did you and Sai breakup anyways?’

     Naruto snorted. “There were many reasons to be honest. I was too emotional while he was emotionless, so lots of misunderstandings. I was also a bad influence on him, getting him into trouble. Ultimately,  he broke up with me because he wanted to go to college and I was holding him back. Or so he said.” Naruto sighed sadly. “But I found out he was cheating on me anyways.”

     Sasuke stared at him, slightly wide-eyed.  He stared in disbelief as Naruto kept his gaze to the road. ‘I knew that guy was an asshole.’

Naruto glanced at him briefly before sucking his teeth. “You don’t even know him. Not then and not now. Don’t judge him. I’ve changed a lot since then and so has he, I can tell.” They reached the mansion and Naruto parked his car in the driveway and the two of them walked into the house.

‘That’s fucking bullshit, Naruto.’ Sasuke sneered at him as he followed him into the kitchen. ‘People never change. Are you really telling me you’re going to let him walk back into your life?’

Naruto stopped and glared at Sasuke from across the island. “Why do you even care? You made it perfectly clear that you aren’t interested in me so why do you need to be up in my business? And people can change Sasuke, just because you haven’t been able to get over your parents death for five fucking years doesn’t mean everyone is like you!” Naruto instantly regretted his words as he saw a look of shock flash across Sasuke’s face. The anger he felt earlier left him quickly. “Look, I’m sorry Sas-”

Sasuke quickly cut him off with a lifted hand, his eyes narrowed in fury. ‘You want to know why I want to make it my business? Because you are my caretaker. You’re not supposed to be whoring yourself out to the first ex that walks past you with a flirty gaze. And for all I know, you could’ve never changed either, it’s only been three days. You’re probably still the orphan trash that you’ve always been.’ The words hit Naruto hard and he looked on at Sasuke in horror as Sasuke gave him a superior smirk.

Naruto looked on to the floor. “You know Sasuke, you shouldn’t judge me like that for being an orphan.” He started to walk out of the kitchen. When he reached the doorway, he turned to face Sasuke, a stray tear falling from his eye. “Especially since you’re one too.” With those words, he left Sasuke alone.

Sasuke stared at the spot where Naruto once was, dumbfounded. The sound of the front door slamming brought him out of his thoughts and he stomped his way to his bedroom. He slammed the door angrily and went to his computer where he turned up the volume and turned the volume up until he could drown out his own thoughts.

It was a few hours later when Itachi stormed into Sasuke’s room, angry at the volume of the music. He saw Sasuke working on his tablet. He came up to him and spun the chair so that he was facing him. “Turn it the fuck down, Sasuke!” He shouted at his little brother.

Sasuke gave him a sneer before pausing his music. He turned back to face Itachi and gave him a bored look.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing? And where the hell is Naruto?” Itachi glared down at him.

Sasuke casually shrugged and turned back to his computer.

“No.Look at me, Sasuke.” He waited until Sasuke turned back around. “Where is Naruto?”

‘I don’t know, Itachi.’

“What do you mean you don’t know?” He looked at him confused.

‘I mean I don’t know. He left earlier and hasn’t come back since.’

“Why did he leave?”

Sasuke didn’t say anything, looking to the side.

“Sasuke.” Itachi gave him a stern look.

‘We got in an argument.’ Sasuke sighed and looked up to his brother. ‘I may have gone too far.’

Itachi shook his head. “Alright, well, let’s just call him to see what’s going on and when he’ll be back.”

Sasuke nodded and followed Itachi downstairs and into the kitchen where the home phone was. Itachi quickly punched in some numbers while Sasuke lazily sat in the island bar chair.

Itachi waited until he got Naruto’s voicemail. He frowned as the message played. “Uh, hi Naruto. It’s me Itachi, just wondering when you’re coming back. Give me a call when you can.” He hung up the phone and looked to Sasuke. “Well, we’ll just wait for him to call. What even happened for him to leave like that?”

Sasuke sneered. ‘I called him orphan trash after he told me to get over mom and dad’s death.’

Itachi tsked while shaking his head. “Why were you even fighting in the first place? You couldn't have handled this more maturely?”

‘Why does it have to be my fault? Why can't he take the high road?’ Sasuke signed angrily.

“Because I know you and from what I can tell by Naruto, he wouldn't have said something unless he was provoked.” He said with a roll of his eyes. “Besides you never take the high road. You're stuck being a spoiled brat, but I'm partially to blame for that. So, what did you say to him to make him so upset?”

Sasuke didn't move, deciding to stare at the countertop instead. It was a few minutes later that he let out a sigh. ‘I was bothering him about hanging out with an ex.’

Itachi stared at his little brother until he began to fidget under his gaze. “Seriously? You upset him because you're fucking jealous? You were really willing to be so selfish as to upset him, possibly make him quit, all because you want to get in his fucking pants?” Itachi glared at him. “I don't fucking believe you. You're going to sit here until he calls  back.” Itachi stormed out of the room and up the stairs.

Sasuke sat back in his seat, arms crossed over his chest as he glared at the phone.

It wasn't until nine, two hours later, that Itachi came back down the stairs and into the kitchen. He leaned against the doorway of the kitchen and looked at Sasuke. “Did he ever call, or even text your cell phone?”

Sasuke shook his head and looked tiredly back to his phone.

Itachi let out a sigh and pushed himself up. “I'll try calling again.” He dialed his phone number but was once again disappointed to get the blonde’s voicemail. He leaned onto the counter, holding his head. “What am I going to do?” He groaned.

Sasuke gently knocked on the table, getting his brother's attention. ‘We can try looking for him?’

Itachi raised an eyebrow. “You know where to find him?”

Sasuke shrugged his shoulders before giving his brother a smirk. ‘Not exactly but I think I have an idea.’

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 372 3
After Naruto saved Sasuke from the darkness that was consuming him, Sasuke returned to the village. They discovered new feelings towards one another...
241K 8.2K 33
Levi Ackerman a well paid bisness man. One day he hears a knock at his door. When he goes and opens it he was surprised to see a basket. But then he...
240K 4.9K 9
Sebastian x Ciel Ciel wakes up to find his dosent match how he went to bed, in an out rage he calls from the man he knew he could trust but nots al...
25.6K 945 23
Meet Naruto Uzumaki, a normal human boy with blonde spiky hair and dazzling cerulean eyes. He has tan skin and three whisker marks on each of his che...