Love & War (Completed)

By ImJustReese

SEQUEL to 'Waiting For Mr. Left' **This is Book Two of the Fighting Temptation Series.** Bruce and Alexis are... More

Copyright ©
Ch 1: Fu** Love, This is War
Ch 2: Truth Is...
Ch 4 Face Your Fears
Ch 5: My Name is Payback, and I'm A...
Ch 6: When The Levee Breaks Pt 1
Ch 7: When the Levee Breaks Pt 2
Ch 8: Black & Noke, Better than Rum & Coke
Ch 9: The Experiment
Ch 10: Low Down Dirty Shame
Ch 11: Bad Move
Ch 12: Special Delivery
Ch 13: War On All Fronts
Ch 14: Old Wounds
Ch 15: Lo Siento
Ch 16: Not Letting Go
Ch 17: Soul of My Soul
ALTERNATE ENDING PT 1: Under Lock & Key
ALTERNATE ENDING PT 2: UNDERGROUND
ALTERNATE ENDING PT 3: REVELATION
ALTERNATE ENDING PT 4: Unworthy

Ch 3: Repairing the Broken

631 33 2
By ImJustReese

HEY AWESOMETTES AND AWESOMITES!!

ON WITH THE STORY!!

I wake from my dreamless sleep completely at ease and well rested, for once. I blink a few times to be sure my eyes are actually open.

Where am I? And why is it so dark?

I try to gather info on my surroundings, but the strong arm around my waist protests when I start moving.

Soft lips press the sensitive skin at the back of my neck. "Go back to sleep lobo (love)." He rasps.

Daniel's husky morning voice always puts a smile on my face...or moisture in my draws. It depends upon how I'm feeling.

"I need to call Gin and Toni." I say, trying to lift the steel beam from around my waist.

He tightens his hold, drawing me closer to his warmth. I can't lie. I miss being here. It feels like...

Home.

"I already did that." He replies.

I huff. "I need to call home."

The sound of his laugh caresses my eardrums. The vibration sinking into me.

"Can I call?" He says teasingly.

I smile, rolling my eyes. "You're always tryin' to start trouble."

I feel him smile against my neck. Tiny hills erect across my skin at the stimulation. Like the MVP just walked on the field and they're cheering in adoration.

"Not always. And don't roll your eyes at me woman." He says with another neck kiss before releasing me.

How did he know I rolled my eyes?

I feel his weight leave the cloud-like mattress. I regret waking him. I miss his warmth already.

Shortly after the curtains open allowing sunlight to pour in. He immediately regrets it. "Ahh it burns!" He yells.

I giggle. "That's what you get for having blackout curtains in a penthouse, in Miami."

He answers with a nonchalant shrug. "I have late hours. It keeps the night in, and the day out."

I reach over to the nightstand to retrieve my phone and realize I don't have my red and black bodycon dress on anymore.

Instead, I'm sporting a large Daniel-scented t-shirt. I look up at him with a few non-verbal questions.

His head cocks to the side in appraisal. "One, it's at the dry cleaners. Two, I'm familiar with your body Alexis..."

He leans toward me, placing his hands on either side of my thighs. His eyes gazing into mine. "...or have you forgotten?"

Without my permission, my mind replays our last night together, before I left for college.

I recall the way he felt buried deep inside me. My nails embedded in his smooth skin, begging him to deep stroke me into eternity.

Da**...

I immediately snap out of it. Though 'Freak me' by Silk, is still playing in the background of my thoughts.

I clear my throat, looking away to hide my blush. "Nope."

A smirk dances on his lips as he leans away from me. My lip tucked between my teeth as I watch him approach his mirrored dresser.

I forgot how consuming his dominance is.

Once my mind is back in the present, I pick up my phone to call home, putting it on speaker.

Lord please let my mother pick up and not daddy.

"Hey baby." She answers with a smile.

"Hey Ma, I'm fine. Just calling to let you know-"

"I know. You're with Daniel." She says casually. I imagine a small smirk on her lips.

My eyes grow to the size of saucers. "Ma?"

"He called already. Your father went out, so he can't hear me. Thank God. Plus, I see Daniel all the time. Tell him I said hi, and to get you home safe."

"Hey Ma! I will." He says undoing his long braid, the hair band around his wrist.

She chuckles on the other line. "Are you feeling better?" Concern heavy in her voice

"Yeah..." I look over at Daniel. "I am."

"Good, keep him around. We'll discuss later why you're waking up at 2 in the afternoon. See you later baby. See you Daniel."

I stare open mouthed at the phone.

"See you, Ma." Daniel says with a smug smile in my direction.

"Love you, Ma." I say still a little caught off guard as I hang up.

I look at the clock and sure enough, it is 2:14pm. I look over at Daniel. "Ma? Really?"

"What I do?" He shrugs innocently.

"She told me to call her that." He says with a secret smile.

I shake my head. "How long exactly have you been 'friending' my mother?"

He pouts in thought. "Since a month or so after we started dating."

My jaw hits the mattress. I stand and make my way toward him, with a hand on my hip.

"And why is this the first time I'm hearing about this?!"

He watches me through the mirror as he finishes combing his hair.

Sure sign he's going to wash it.

Once done, he turns to me in all his shirtless glory. A breeze blows through the window. His long mane billowing, falling over his shoulders and slightly into his face. The sun capturing his dark chocolate hued eyes.

I can't tell if that was my imagination or if it was real.

He stands, approaching me with a predatory stride, his eyes devouring my soul with every step.

My womb twists. He got me feeling like Bambi.

Papi, please stay in the cage. I silently plead, taking a cautious step back.

"Are you running from me Alexis?" The lower octave making me weak in the knees.

I shake my head, taking another step backward.

He smirks. Momentarily distracting me from his quick arms wrapping around my waist; pulling me to him.

My breath catches. "I-I can't P-Dani..."

He looks into my eyes. "If he broke your heart, why do you still act as if you belong to him?"

I search his eyes. "I could ask you the same question?"

A small smiles appears on his face, not reaching his eyes. "I never stopped loving you. And you never broke my heart. You just put in on a shelf, and walked away from it."

Ouch.

He lets me go and walks into his bathroom. "I'll make us breakfast when I get out." He mumbles and closes the door. Moments later the shower is running.

My heart still races as I ponder his words. "He never stopped..."

I don't know whether to be happy about that or sad that I've been with at least a half dozen men since graduating from high school 10, 11 years ago.

"F*** my life."

I wonder how my life would be right now if I wouldn't have listened to daddy?

Would Dani and I be married? Have kids? I know one thing. I would've never met Bruce.

I should have stuck with the plan. Then again, everything that has happened, sans Bruce, wasn't so bad.

I'm so deep in what ifs that I don't notice Daniel come out of the bathroom in a towel, hair still dripping. He kneels in front of me cupping my face in his hands.

He frowns curiously. "What's on your mind lobo?"

I open my mouth to answer, but stop and shake my head.

He doesn't move away. He looks into my eyes like he used to when we were teenagers.

I swear he's a soul whisperer sometimes.

A knowing smirk shapes his lips. "I guess I'll have to use the shovel."

My head tilts in confusion.

"You still love me lobo, it's just buried under a lot of emotional sh** and a sh** ton of guilt. I can work with that." He lets go of my face and stands to walk away.

I catch his wrist. "Why? Why still love me? I haven't been as faithful as you've been. If it wasn't for the break up, I wouldn't have even come back. Why am I still an option?" My guilt asks.

He looks down at me with adoration in his eyes. "Because to me...you're the only option."

The look in his eyes awakening
my numb heart. He turns and walks toward a set of double doors.

"What's mine is yours. I left your toiletries in the bathroom. I'll leave clothes on the bed."

I nod as he disappears behind the double doors. Still thinking about his words as I stand and make my way to the bathroom.

"After all these years...he still remembers."

I pick up the mango butter soap and body wash, and shea butter off the counter.

A nostalgic smile blossoms on my face. "I have got to call Kamari and Nahia. They are definitely due for an update."

I strip, grab my cleaning products and make my way to the shower.

Once I'm all clean, teeth brushed, face washed, toned, and moisturized, and my body is all buttered up. I walk out and find a pair of rose colored stretch pants and a white form fitting v-neck t-shirt at the foot of the made bed.

"Where did he get clothes in my size from? And when did he have time to get this?"

I shake my head with a grateful smile and get dressed, walking out into the open living area attached to the kitchen.

Before I enter completely, I take a moment to admire him. There's nothing sexier than a man that knows his way around the kitchen.

Especially this man.

His now dry tresses are pulled up in a messy man bun. Grey sweatpants hanging just under his adonis cuts.

Why does he do this?

My lip tucks between my teeth as I watch the muscles in his back and arms flex.

I walk my thirsty *ss fully into the kitchen before I get myself in trouble eye groping him.

He turns and looks at me, spatula in hand. His eyes take me in again. "Why must you make my morning so difficult?" He mumbles.

I take a seat across from him at the marble waterfall island resembling a night sky.

"One, it's almost 4, pm. Two, It's not my fault you gave me stretch pants and a v-neck, knowing good and well that this combo..."

I run my hand down my side. "...on me, is one of your triggers. Where did you get these anyways?"

He 'hmphs' popping his neck. "I had X buy them early this morning...well, I told him last night to make sure that he got some clothes for you this morning."

"Last night? And how did you I'd be here in the morning?"

"Alexis, the second I saw you walk into my club last night, I knew I'd wake up next to you."

Them two meddling wenches set me up. I'm pretty sure both them heffas knew that Dani owned the club, and my uninformed *ss walked right into their trap.

But am I mad though?

He plates the stuffed french toast, followed by scrambled eggs, before turning to retrieve the macerated strawberries from the fridge. My stomach groans hungrily as he drizzles them over the french toast.

I d*mn near leap across the island as he takes his time placing the fork and a full plate in front of me. Followed by a mug of coffee with vanilla bean infused cream, and two teaspoons of sugar.

How does he know how I like my coffee? I didn't start drinking it until college. Ma and I need to talk.

I pray and take my first bite. Moaning as the slightly sweetened cream cheese, strawberries and buttery flavor of the thick sliced brioche melt on my tongue.

I missed his cooking.

His brow flexes sexily. "Good?"

He stands across from me with an identical breakfast set up, watching me eat my next bite before starting in on his own breakfast.

I blush slightly at the ravenous hunger in his eyes when my tongue catches a stray drop of syrup.

He shakes his head, clearing his thoughts. "Tease." He says adjusting his pants.

I cock my head to the side, observing him. "You're different."

He smiles looking down at his plate. "Only on the surface."

His eyes meet mine once more, the look intensifying. "Trust me, I would love nothing more than to bend you over this marble countertop and F*** you until you blackout."

I laugh, used to him having no filter. "That's who I was looking for."

His lips curve into that smirk I love so much. "He's still here. I just keep a tighter leash on him."

I take another bite, savoring it. "And why is that?"

He takes a bite, thinking. "You met him, so you already know the answer to that question."

I look down at my plate blushing. "He's not all bad." I mumble into my next bite.

His head cocks to the side. The other him dancing in his eyes. "Be careful lobo. "

I look up at him debating on whether or not to test the waters.

"Woman, don't make me come around. I told Ma I'd get you home safe. I really don't think she'd appreciate you being f**ked into a coma."

I quiver breathlessly. And it d*mn sure isn't because my *ss suddenly teleported to the Arctic.

This man and his crassness never fail to raise my temperature and make me shiver at the same time.

Though I'd love a live demonstration, I back off. I still need to decide on what to do about Bruce.

As I'd sensing my change in though he reaches across the island and takes my hand.

"I love you Alexis. Distance, nor time, nor Bruce have changed that. To me, you always have been, and always will be mine." He swallows another bite.

I stare back at him, unable to break the connection. "How do you know his name? "

He answers with a smirk.

I shake my head, taking another bite. "I can't with you and Ma."

He chuckles. "I can't help she loves me."

"And Dad?"

He tilts his head to the side. "He'll come around. He and I aren't so different. Plus, Ma said to leave him, to her."

He takes another bite, and shrugs nonchalantly. "Who am I to argue with Ma?"

I shake my head and continue eating.

A FEW DAYS LATER, BACK IN CHARLOTTE

Friends of Distinction 'Going in Circles' plays as Bruce sits in his den drinking whiskey at 2 in the afternoon. Staring motionlessly at the coffee colored curtains Alexis made for him to tie the room together.

He picks up his phone for the umpteenth time and stares at her picture. Taking a heavy breath as he sits his phone face down on the coffee table once more, reminiscing.

"Bruce...seriously? Black curtains? With black furniture? Are you kidding? You are a grown man, add some color."

He observes her with a smile. "Black is a color, Babe. They're just curtains."

She fixes him with a flat look. "Okay, maybe I should get you some haunted family portraits, to put on the wall, and some cobwebs to go with your Gothic coffin Mr. Adams."

He wraps his arms around her waist, chuckling. "We can go tomorrow and pick out new 'grown man' curtains if you want, okay?"

"No. I will make them myself. Get me a tape measure." She smiles.

He downs the rest of his whiskey and stands to pour another glass, but decides to just take the glass decanter.

He flops back onto the couch, propping his feet up on the table until his phone rings. He picks it up on the first ring, praying it's her.

"Hello."

"Hey Son, get dressed, we're going for a drive."

"Frank, I'm n-"

"That wasn't a suggestion. Get ready." Frank ends the call.

Bruce huffs, puts the bottle back in the cabinet and walks out of the den to get ready.

30 MINS LATER

"Thank you for showering. That makes this ride a lot more bearable."

Bruce says nothing as he looks out the window.

Frank groans. "Seriously? You're worse than Paige once a month."

He continues to drive out of the city trying to get Bruce to open up. Once they reach the beach, he stops the car. "Come on Kid. We need to talk."

They walk a while in silence along the coast.

"So, what's her name? And what did you do?"

Bruce looks over at him and frowns, but chuckles afterward. "Alexis...and I...I don't even know. She won't call me back."

"Bull***t. What did you do?" He turns to him.

"I didn't-"

Frank cuts him off with a look.

Bruce sighs. "...I-I didn't want what she wanted."

Frank squints at him.

"She wanted the whole marriage and kids thing. I don't want that." He shrugs.

Frank whistles. "And now you miss her?"

Bruce nods. "Like you wouldn't believe."

Frank smacks him upside his head. "Idjit."

Bruce looks offended. "What was that for?"

Frank huffs. "Boy, how many times do I tell you...compromise? With you, it's your way or no way at all. I swear if you Black-out on me. I will skin your a**." He says pinning him with a deadly look.

"Let me ask you something. I already know the answer, but you need hear how dumb it is for yourself. Why don't you want those things?"

Bruce stuffs his hands in his pockets. "Because, I know that sh** doesn't work out well. Not for my parents, not for you, not any of my friends growing up, nobody. I don't want to wind up like them. One of us dying, or divorced and hating each other's guts, making our kids choose between us. I. DON'T. WANT. THAT."

"I love Alexis with all my heart, with all my soul. I don't want to break us by throwing sh** into our relationship that will fail. I won't-I can't lose her."

Frank chuckles humorlessly. "By the sounds of it boy...you already did. And the reason you lost is because, you didn't want to lose her."

Bruce frowns in thought. "Fu**!!" He walks a few paces. "What do I do?" He asks defeated.

"First, get your head out of your a**. Then decide what's more important to you? Your fear of being like everyone you know, or losing her for good? It's not rocket science son."

Bruce shakes his head. "Do you always have to verbally kick my a**?"

Frank smirks. "Only when it's the only way you'll listen."

Bruce nods, looking down at his feet.

Frank walks up to him and cups the back of his neck, resting his forehead against the top of Bruce's.

"I love you kid. You're not like my son, you are my son. My favorite one, don't tell the other one I said that."

Bruce chuckles.

"I can tell you this...I met your father. You're nothing like him. Now, that's not to say that that won't change if you allow it to. Like I said, don't Black-out."

"You aren't a psycho. You aren't some abusive sh**head. You know something else?"

Bruce looks up into his eyes.

"You're not like me either. I was young and dumb. After Paige's mother died, I have no idea what happened to me. I made a full time job as a fu** up."

"My second marriage ended because of who I became AFTER I lost Grace. Don't be me kid. You're too smart for all of that. You got a good head on your shoulders...USE IT! Alright."

Bruce nods. "Thanks Dad."

Frank smiles at him affectionately. "Don't get all mushy on me now."

Bruce chuckles.

I KNOW IT TOOK FOREVER TO UPDATE. THANK YOU FOR READING IT ANYWAYS.

LOVE YOU AWESOMETTES AND AWESOMITES.

UNTIL NEXT TIME.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

318K 7.9K 63
This is book two in the Lost&Found Series but can be read as a stand alone. *** I heard the bag drop on the table before he grabbed my elbow and spu...
5.2K 326 10
The worn leather of the armchair creaked beneath me as I straddled Marcus. I felt him, solid and undeniable, beneath me. The knowledge stole my brea...
879 31 19
* #1 in Interracialmarriage* This book contains very strong language and well-detailed sex scenes. Read at your own risk. "Ari, I know what you ar...
2.5K 95 10
I stepped into the doorway, turning back to look at him as he tucked his hands into his navy blue jean's pockets. Despite my obvious insecurity, I le...