Sweet Like Honey

By ehillwrites

Jonas Costello, North Shore High School royalty, is who every girl wants to be with and every guy wants to be... More

i. summary
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
17. (pt 2)
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
40.
Epilogue.
End of the Book Author's Note

39.

321 4 0
By ehillwrites

Graduation day had finally rolled around and Lennen had never been more nervous for anything in her life. Today, she had to stand up in front of her classmates, families, and faculty members, reading out a speech she had written seven times before she was finally happy with how it turned out. Not only that, but she would reveal her college decision, worried about how Jonas was going to react. This was something she had been keeping between herself and her family. They were incredibly proud of Lennen, knowing that she was going to do amazing things, and her mom was extra happy because it was her alma mater. 

But before she had to speak in front of her school, she got to watch Duke celebrate his accomplishments and share his valedictorian speech, that he had begged Lennen to look over and make any changes she had wished. He always believed that she was a much stronger writer than he was, the way she could express herself in writing was something he would be able to get over. She just had a way with words that could make anyone fall in love with her writing. 

The Kepner's found their assigned seats next to the Petty's as they were with the Valedictorian. They had the perfect view of Duke, who was sat in the first seat, ready to take the stage when it was his turn. Lennen looked at her best friend and couldn't be more proud in this moment. This was the moment where all of his hard work was finally going to pay off. He was going to share his speech, recieve his diploma, and in three days the two of them were going to embark on the most amazing senior trip anyone could ask for. 

Lennen sat as the principal and student body president shared their speeches, both that would bring a few tears to Lennen's eyes because in just a few hours she would be going through the same thing. She would be saying goodbye to friends that she had made during high school or years before that, and that was going to make her an emotional mess. 

"And now our Valdedictorian, Duke Petty," the principal shares with the crowd and their group cheered excitedly, ready for Duke to share his speech that he had slaved over for weeks. Lennen watched as her best friend walked up on the stage, stood in front of the podium and was poised, she knew he was ready for this. 

"Families, faculty, friends, and class of 2017, we have finally reached the moment we have been dreaming about since we entered the school system. Today marks a pivotal point in our lives, the day we start our future. We now have the freedom to make our own choices, live our lives in the way he had dreamed about for years now. As we counted down the days to this moment, dreading over classes and finals, teachers disappointed in our senorities, everything is now feeling surreal. 

As we step into the future, there's nothing wrong with looking back at these times with a smile on your face. I may not have been here for my freshman year, but that didn't stop me from having the time of my life and being accepted with open arms. I made friends that will last a lifetime, leaving me with memories I will never forget. I had teachers that never failed to inspire me and never gave up on helping me achieve my dreams. And my lacrosse coach who continued to push me, knowing that I could accomplish more than I knew when I first joined the team as a sophomore. 

It's normal to be afraid of the future because none of us know what to expect, but that's what is amazing about life. There are so many opportunities out there waiting for us and we can't be afraid to make that leap of faith. Chase after the dreams that you had been wanting for as long as you could remember, not being afraid of failing. Life is meant to be lived to the fullest, and to each person that could mean different things, which is okay because we all go through life differently, but the important thing is that you never give up on the things that matter most to you.

Thank you Sage Hill for everything you have given us, allowing us to be the people that we want, and never making us second guess that there was nothing we couldn't achieve. Congratulations class of 2017! May we all be off to bigger and better things." 

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause. The Petty parents were in tears, incredibly proud that they got to experience their son giving a Valedictorian speech. Lennen clapped, amazed at what her best friend had written, something that was open to interpretation, leaving his classmates to choose their own path, to not be afraid of chasing their dreams. 

When the ceremony ended, the group had rushed down to the field, trying to find Duke in the sea of kids that were also searching for their family and friends. Steve and Elizabeth wrapped their arms around their son, in disbelief that they only had three days with him before he was off on an extravagant summer excursion and then would only be home for a less than a week before it was time to move him into his dorm room in a college that was across the country. 

Kiana hugged her older brother, wanting to be in this same position when she was graduating high school. He was her role model, and he did nothing but inspire her to thrive and do her best. And not only was he her older brother, but he was also one of her best friends. They were nothing like a typical brother/sister relationship, which was something she would never change. No matter the situation, she knew that she could count on Duke to be there for her, to help her with whatever she was struggling with. 

"I am so proud of you," Lennen says, hugging her best friend. She was trying her best to hold back the tears of joy that were wanting to fall, but she was sure that she would be doing a healthy amount of crying at her own graduation. 

"Great speech, Duke," Graham compliments, shaking his hand before pulling him into a hug. The Petty kids were like a second set of kids to Graham and Joyce. They had watched Duke grow up over the last seven years, incredibly proud of the man that he had become. 

"Thanks. Lennen helped me a bit, probably saved it from being a complete disaster," Duke laughs along with the rest of the group. 

"It would've been just as amazing without my help. Besides, I hardly did anything to paper. I added a few words here and there, but most of it was Duke," Lennen reveals. She had read his speech over and over, wondering why on earth he would want her help because it was amazing the way it was. She didn't want to change it, so all she really did was add words here and there to enhance it. 

"Congratulations, Duke. From all of us. And we'll see you guys at Lennen's graduation in a few hours and then we can head to dinner," Joyce says. Lennen checked the time, realizing that she had an hour and a half before she had to be at the school, so she hugged Duke one more time and took off with her family so she could go home and change into her dress and cap and gown. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

325 1 39
Breanna McDell is the Queen Bee at Ridgeway High School. She's got the hottest guy in town for a boyfriend, she's smart, and she's beautiful beyond c...
1M 47.2K 36
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Madison Carlisle isn't just popular, she's the one girls want to be and the guys want to be with. But what's a girl to d...
319 16 8
π’žπ’Άπ“‰π’Άπ“π’Ύπ“ƒπ’Ά π‘…π‘œπ’Ήπ“‡π’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ‘’π“ Her last name was a curse she thought. Everywhere she went someone would recognise her or scream her name in hope...
26.2K 780 26
Where the big nerd of the school gets a glow up before the new school year, and catches the attention of the hottest guy in school.