War of Hearts 》Bellamy Blake

By UpInFlames_

At 15, Brinley Kane was locked up. At 18, she was sent to the ground. Brinley Kane had accepted her inev... More

P R O L O G U E
O N E
T W O
T H R E E
F O U R
F I V E
S I X
S E V E N
E I G H T
N I N E
T E N
E L E V E N
P L A Y L I S T
T W E L V E
T H I R T E E N
B O N U S
F O U R T E E N
F I F T E E N
S I X T E E N
S E V E N T E E N
E I G H T E E N
N I N E T E E N
T W E N T Y
T W E N T Y O N E
T W E N T Y T W O
T W E N T Y T H R E E
T W E N T Y F O U R
PART II: Game of Survival
1 - White Noise
2 - Escape
3 - Allies
4 - Reunions
5 - Metamorphosis
G A M E O F S U R V I V A L
6 - Spacewalker
7 - Consequences
8 - Into The Unknown
9 - Survival
Playlist
10 - Tag, You're It
11 - Knocking on Heaven's Door
C O N T R O L
PART III: C O N T R O L
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
T H E F A L L O U T
F A L L O U T (Playlist/Excerpt)
Chapter One: Expiration Date
Chapter Two: Truce
Chapter Three: Playing God
Chapter Four: Past // Present

X

6.9K 293 531
By UpInFlames_

Here we goooo...

Playlist for this chapter...
Safe Inside - James Arthur
Wires - The Neighbourhood (This song fits Bellamy so well.)
Remains - Algiers
Made to Love You - Dan Owen
Youth - Daughter
Can't Pretend - Tom Odell 

*UNEDITED*
Comment and vote please! :) 
I love feedback!

*****
... And sometimes, you love somebody so much, that you almost hate them.'
- E. Grin.

*****

The next few minutes were a blur.

All Brinley knew was that one moment she was alone, and the next Hannah was preparing to arrest her, her gun pointed directly at Brinley's face.

'On your knees.' Hannah commanded.

Brinley stared at Hannah, trying to hide any indication that she was up to no good. 

'Why would I do that?' Her body was shaking with rage, her mind continuously drifting back to the small bug that had been planted on her for god knows how long.

There was only two people who could have gotten close enough, and Brinley knew which one she'd bet her money on.

'I said, on your knees!'

'I haven't even done anything.' Brinley rolled her eyes, reaching a hand up to tuck her hair behind her ear, inconspicuously pulling her earpiece out and shoving it into her pocket.

'I heard you talking to someone, I know you're helping your Father!' Hannah had evidently been in the area longer than Brinley had realised.

'Where's your proof?' Brinley got out through clenched teeth.

'Get down!' Hannah was moving closer. Her finger moved on the trigger slightly and Brinley reacted immediately, refusing to have to go through the pain she'd suffered in Mount Weather again.

She grabbed the gun, wrenching it upwards as Hannah's finger tightened on the trigger. The bullet made a loud sound as it ricocheted off of the metal walls.

The gun went flying and Brinley took the opportunity to kick Hannah to the ground, but the woman fought back, dragging Brinley down with her. She took advantage of Brinley's surprise, pinning her to the ground with all of her strength.

But Brinley was stronger than she looked, something Hannah Green was about to find out the hard way.

'You will never see my son again.' Hannah sounded breathless as she fought to keep Brinley down. 'You don't deserve to know him.'

Brinley was choking for air as Hannah's arm pressed against her throat with enough pressure to cut off her air supply. Brinley's eyes wandered as she struggled, watching as Hannah's hand went to her radio.

'We've got another one in-'

Without the use of both of her hands Hannah was considerably weaker. Brinley's survival instincts kicked in as she took advantage of the distraction, switching their positions so that she had the upper hand, Hannah pinned beneath her the radio falling to the ground.

Brinley was furious, her hands wrapping around Hannah's throat as her lungs burned, pulling in mouthfuls of much needed oxygen. 'No so fun when you're on the receiving end, is it?'

Hannah's eyes were wide as she was the one suddenly choking. But even as Brinley watched, suddenly it wasn't Hannah beneath her grip; it was Monty's face staring up at her...

Brinley let Hannah go. No matter how much she detested the woman and all that she stood for, she was still Monty's mother and Brinley couldn't leave him an orphan.

Hannah gasped for air, backing away from her.

Brinley heard footsteps behind her and the sound of guns being trained and ready to fire.

She felt someone grab both of her arms incase she responded with violence, but Brinley knew there was no way she could take on Hannah and the three heavily armed guards that had appeared, not without a weapon of her own.

She cursed as she was pulled to her feet, her eyes going to Hannah who was cuffing her wrists together, a smug look on her face as she did so.

'Brinley Kane, you are under arrest. Charges are treason and attempted murder.'

Brinley ignored the panic swelling in her chest. 'Attempted Murder? More like self defence.'

Hannah's expression turned cold. 'Get her out of here. I'll tell the Chancellor.'

*****

Monty could do nothing but watch as his mother walked away after revealing Brinley's capture to both himself and Bellamy.

Once his mother was out of sight, Monty turned to Bellamy, trying to gauge a reaction from the older man. Monty was terrified for Brinley now that they knew exactly what Pike was capable of – would she suffer the same fate? Or would Pike be lenient? Brinley was a powerful ally to have after all...

'Bellamy...' Monty trailed off, unsure of what to say. Worry for Brinley's safety was clouding all rational thought.

'No. No, this wasn't supposed to happen.' Bellamy muttered to himself, his hands running through his hair as he looked at Monty. 'I have to see her.'

'Bellamy, Pike won't allow-'

'He has no reason not to. I've done what he asked.' Bellamy's voice was firm even though his hands were shaking violently, his mind focused solely on Brinley's wellbeing.

'Then I'm coming too.' Monty decided.

'No.' Bellamy denied. 'I need to do this alone.'

Monty watched Bellamy for a moment more before he grudgingly agreed. 'What do you want me to do?'

'For now? Lay low. I'll find you later.'

Monty nodded, watching as Bellamy made his way towards Pike's office.

*****

No words could accurately describe the amount of fear that was coursing through Bellamy's veins like poison.

Pike wasn't in his office, and the guards outside the door had no idea where he had gone so all Bellamy could do was wait and pray that Brinley wasn't already in the holding cell.

Once she was in there, he'd never be able to get her alone.

Bellamy heard footsteps, looking up to find Pike coming towards him, looking unsurprised to see him there. 'Bellamy. I take it you heard the news?'

'Where is she?' Bellamy asked immediately. 'I need to see her.'

'I don't think that's a good idea.' Pike denied and at Bellamy's outraged expression he added. 'It's a conflict of interest.'

'Sir, please-'

'Bellamy-'

'Did she tell you anything?' Bellamy asked, searching desperately for a way to get Pike to agree to let him see her.

'No.' Pike reluctantly revealed. 'She didn't say much at all.'

'Then let me see her. I can get her to talk.' When Pike still looked like he wasn't going to agree, Bellamy added, 'I've done everything you asked, please, let me do this.'

Pike deliberated for a moment before he sighed. 'Fine, but I need answers Bellamy. This isn't a social visit. She is a criminal, do not forget who she is and what she has done.' Pike's words held a warning.

Hope filled Bellamy for a moment though he didn't let it show. 'Yes, sir.'

Pike looked at the guard behind him. 'Take him to see Miss Kane.'

'Yes sir.'

*****

Brinley felt sick.

Every part of her was screaming at her to escape, and yet she could do nothing but sit and wait. There were guards posted outside the door, and Pike had promised that should she try anything, the people she cared about would pay the price.

He'd questioned her of course, but he'd quickly lost his patience when she had refused to speak, instead staring blankly at the wall behind him. In fact, the only indication that Pike got to know she was listening was when he'd informed her of her Father's pending execution, to which Brinley had turned her furious eyes on him, spitting out a string of vile insults.

And then Pike had handed down her punishment, and left the room with the promise that she'd be moved within the hour.

Brinley didn't look up as the door opened, her eyes staring at the floor beneath her feet. Her ankles were shackled, her binds only allowing her to walk, never to run. Her hands were folded in her lap, the handcuff chain catching the light every time she moved.

Bellamy stopped only a few steps into the room, hearing the door close behind him. His gaze went to Brinley immediately, noticing the blank expression on her face as she stared down at her bound hands.

Bellamy opened his mouth to speak, but words escaped him for a moment. He could see the stubborn set of Brinley's shoulders, and he knew that unless he did something first, there was no way she'd acknowledge his presence.

'Brinley.'

Brinley felt her heart lurch painfully at the sound of Bellamy's voice; the sound softer and quieter than she'd heard it in months. Longing shot through her, but still she kept her eyes on the ground and her mouth shut.

Bellamy sighed, moving towards her and crouching down so she had no choice but to look at him. 'Brinley...what did you do?'

His words got a reaction this time. Brinley shoved him away from her harshly, her dark eyes watching as Bellamy got to his feet again. 'How dare you! What are you doing here – Did Pike send you to take me away?'

'Shh, no. No.' Bellamy was aware of the guards outside the door now more than ever. 'I asked to see you.'

Brinley hadn't been expecting that.

'Why the fuck would you do that?' Brinley's voice was quieter now, more dangerous, than it had been previously.

'You're playing a dangerous game, Brinley. If you cooperate, if you tell us what we need to know, Pike will be lenient.' Bellamy pleaded, wishing that Brinley cared more about her own safety. 'I'm trying to help you.'

Brinley blinked rapidly, staring at Bellamy in disbelief. 'You still think that what Pike's doing is right...' Realisation crept into her expression.

'Brin –'

Brinley's expression turned hard. 'If you've come to get answers then I'm sorry, but I'm all out.'

'Don't be like that.' Bellamy tried. 'What you did to Hannah-'

'-Was self defence.' Brinley scoffed. 'But she didn't tell you that, did she?'

Bellamy's frown was answer enough.

'How many of your friends have to die before you realise you're fighting on the wrong side?' Brinley couldn't hide her disappointment from him.

Bellamy's shoulders slumped in realisation. 'You know.'

'About my Dad being executed? Oh yeah, I know. Pike couldn't wait to tell me the news. I hear you were a key player in his capture.' Brinley's lower lip trembled and her voice cracked slightly. 'Well done.'

'Brin, I didn't want that.' Bellamy's voice shook slightly.

Brinley laughed, though there was no humour in the sound. 'You helped Pike lock up Lincoln, Sinclair and my Dad – people who trusted you, Bellamy! And now they're all going to die, and you're going to stand here and tell me that what I'm fighting for is wrong.'

'You're going to get yourself killed.' Bellamy shook his head. 'Why can't you see that?'

Brinley stood up, moving so she was face to face with Bellamy. 'See, there's the difference between you and me, Bellamy. I'm willing to stand up and die for what I believe in. The real question is...are you?'

Bellamy stared down at her with wide eyes.

'If your answer isn't immediately yes,' Brinley continued. 'Then maybe you need to reconsider what you're fighting for.'

'I'm sorry.' Bellamy tried. 'I-'

'Sorry won't bring back the dead Bellamy.' Brinley's tone was harsh.

'I'm going to fix this. I just need time.' Bellamy pleaded with her, hating that she couldn't look directly at him. 'Look at me, please.'

Brinley looked at him.

Bellamy felt pain bloom in his chest as he noticed the glassiness of Brinley's eyes, but even as he watched her, she blinked and the vulnerability in her expression disappeared.

'I don't want to look at you, because when I do, I realise how much I don't recognise the person in front of me anymore.' Brinley's hands were shaking. 'The person that I lo-' Brinley corrected herself, 'The person that I cared about seems to have disappeared, and I know that's partially my fault, so I'm sorry for that.'

Bellamy didn't miss the slight slip up. 'I'm still me-'

Brinley was already shaking her head. 'I think you should leave now.'

'I'm not done-'

'Yeah, well I am.' Brinley turned her back on Bellamy, fighting the tears that were threatening to spill. Hold it together, she told herself, just for a few more minutes.

'I'm going to do the right thing Brinley. I swear to you.' Bellamy stepped closer to Brinley, her back only inches from his chest.

'I hope you do.' The words were small, barely a whisper into the air around them.

'What were your charges?' Bellamy's voice was quiet now, too.

'Attempted murder and treason.' Brinley's voice was hollow.

Bellamy nodded. 'How long is your sentence?'

Brinley's lips parted as she sucked in a sharp breath, spinning around to face Bellamy again. 'What did you say?'

'How long is your sentence?'

Brinley stared a Bellamy for a few seconds, a shocked laugh escaping her mouth as realisation set in. 'He didn't tell you...'

'Tell me what?' Bellamy was immediately concerned.

'Bellamy, by this time tomorrow... I'll be dead.' Brinley's voice shook, it was the first time she had acknowledged her sentence aloud, and somehow it made everything all the more real.

All the air seemed to leave the room as the words left Brinley's mouth, and Bellamy found himself struggling to breathe through the crushing panic and terror coursing through his veins like poison. He felt as though someone had a hold of his heart and was squeezing it gleefully every few seconds.

Brinley smiled sadly at the look on Bellamy's face. 'What did you expect? For Pike to lock me in a cell for a few months and then release me as long as I promise to behave?' Brinley shook her head. 'Bellamy, I'm eighteen; there's no second chances for me. '

Tears welled up in Bellamy's eyes as he stared at the girl who had caused him more heartache and happiness than any other. The thought of her no longer living and breathing caused Bellamy physical pain, and somehow this time the pain was even worse than it had been before.

Because this time, there would be no hope for healing.

Once Pike pulled that trigger, Brinley's flame would go out like a candle in the wind, never to ignite again.

'No.' Bellamy's voice cracked. 'No, no, no. There has to be a mistake-'

'There's no mistake. Every action has a consequence, and this is mine.' Brinley's voice was still soft, only wavering slightly.

'No.' This time the word was a whimper. 'I won't let you die.'

'I don't think you have a choice, Bellamy.' Brinley looked down as something occurred to her. She slipped her fingers into her pocket briefly. 'I guess you won't need this anymore.'

Bellamy didn't think he could feel any worse than he already did, until he looked down, seeing the bug in Brinley's hands.

'-because by this time tomorrow, there won't be anyone left to listen to.' Brinley finished, reaching for Bellamy's hands when he remained frozen.

Bellamy's hand clenched around the small silver object briefly before he dropped it at his feet, clutching Brinley's hands and drawing her closer to him.

In all the time she'd known him, Brinley Kane had never seen Bellamy Blake as vulnerable as he was in that moment, and now that she had, she was almost glad that she never would have to again.

Because Bellamy's handsome face was twisted with so much sorrow that it knocked the breath out of Brinley. His body was shaking with the onslaught of emotion, one single tear escaping his eyes as he blinked, trying to clear the blurriness of his vision in order to see her face clearly.

Brinley didn't protest as Bellamy pulled her to his chest, knowing that it might very well be the final time she would feel his arms around her. She memorised the feeling, committing it to memory because if there was one thing Pike couldn't take away from her, it was her memories. And there were so many memories of people both living and dead, that she knew would comfort her in her final moments.

Wells' and the smile he'd given her the last time she'd seen him alive.

Murphy's laugh as he'd left her to be caught sneaking outside Bellamy's tent.

Finn's smirk as she'd chased after Bellamy to distract him for Octavia.

Maya and her mischievous smile as she pointed out which cameras were out.

Monty's blush when she'd caught him looking at Harper.

Jasper grinning at her as he successfully caught the jobi nuts in his mouth.

Octavia's smile the first time Brinley had referred to her as a friend.

Clarke and Brinley playing tag as small children, hair in pigtails with matching ribbons.

Marcus' gentle expression the last time she'd seen him.

Miller's pout as he'd admitted to finding Bellamy attractive.

And Bellamy... Brinley vividly remembered the dislike he'd had for her at first, and the moment he'd made her promise to watch Octavia, to the time he'd first used that stupid nickname, the first time he'd kissed her....

Brinley could do nothing but rest her head against Bellamy's chest, listening to his heartbeat for a few short moments, Brinley's bound hands between them a cruel reminder that their time was coming to an end.

'You need to go.' Brinley stepped backwards, breaking away from Bellamy's embrace.

'I can't just leave...'

'Yes, you can, and you will.' Brinley fought to hold herself together. 'I'm asking you to leave Bellamy. Someone will be here to take me away soon enough anyway.'

Bellamy's hands went to his hair, tugging at the roots roughly. 'This isn't goodbye. I won't let it be.'

Brinley closed her eyes, willing the lump in her throat to go away.

Bellamy's heart broke even further as he watched Brinley's resolve crumble more and more with each passing second, until finally a small sob escaped her chest and a few tears trickled down her ashen cheeks.

'Please don't cry.' Bellamy gripped her face in his hands.

Brinley blinked rapidly, looking up at him through wet lashes. 'Whatever happens, find Octavia and make it right with her. Promise me, Bellamy.'

Bellamy nodded without hesitation. 'I will. I promise.'

Almost on cue, there was a tap at the door and Brinley pushed Bellamy's hands away, taking a few steps back as the door slid open and Miller's Dad appeared, looking remorseful.

'I'm sorry Brinley, it's time to go.'

'It's okay.' Brinley swiped her hands over her cheeks, removing any telltale signs of the few tears she'd cried. 'Let's do this.'

Bellamy stood rooted to the spot as Brinley walked towards David, watching as she paused, turning to look at him one last time. 'If you happen to come across Murphy... tell him that I love him, and I'm sorry.'

Bellamy nodded his head.

Brinley's shoulders seemed to relax slightly, her voice coming out soft when she spoke next. 'May we meet again, Bellamy Blake.'

And then she was gone. 

*****

Bellamy left the room with a heavy heart.

At first he didn't know where he was going, just needing to be away from the last place he'd seen Brinley, but it didn't take him long to realise he'd walked right back to his quarters in a complete daze.

He opened the door, standing still for a few moments as his mind slowly caught up to what had just happened.

And then it truly hit him.

Bellamy lashed out, swiping everything off of the side table in one clean hit, his chest heaving with the effort it was taking not to break down. There was no way he was going to let Brinley, Marcus, Sinclair or Lincoln die, but in order to pull off any sort of escape – he needed help.

Bellamy hoped that Miller and Harper were already formulating some sort of plan. It would be much easier to pull off something with help from the inside, and surely Harper and Miller would understand why he and Monty wanted to help?

Pike was going too far.

Bellamy squared his shoulders, got his breathing under control and left the room in search of Monty.

It didn't take long to find him, because as it turned out, Monty was already looking for him, having seen David Miller leading a handcuffed Brinley towards the holding cells.

'Bellamy! What happened? What did she say?'

Bellamy pulled Monty into an empty room, gesturing for him to keep his voice low.

'Pike sentenced Brinley to death alongside Kane.' Saying the words out loud almost sent Bellamy into a panic again. 'She doesn't think they can be saved.'

Monty shook his head rapidly. 'No... no he can't do that! We have to-'

'I know. We have to get them out of there as soon as we can, but we're going to need help. We can't do this on our own.' Bellamy explained, pacing across the room impatiently.

'What about Miller and Harper?'

'I think they're our best option.' Bellamy agreed. 'It'll take some convincing though.'

'What if-'

Bellamy's radio interrupted them. 'Bellamy Blake, you're needed in the Chancellor's office.'

Bellamy swore. 'I have to handle this. Monty, can you figure out a way to block the signal in the bug in Miller's jacket?'

Monty nodded quickly. 'Consider it done.'

Bellamy hurried out of the room, preparing himself to put on the best show of his life - to act like nothing had changed in the last few hours and to lie directly to the man who'd just sentenced the woman he loved to die.

*****

Brinley could see the shock cloud the faces of those in the holding cell as she neared the door, David unlocking it and relocking it behind her with an apologetic smile.

Brinley sighed, turning around to face Lincoln, Sinclair and her Father.

'Brinley... what happened?' Marcus seemed confused at her sudden appearance. She was thankful that he hadn't immediately accused her of doing something like Bellamy had; she didn't know how she'd react a second time around.

'Hannah happened, Pike knows I helped plan the escape, and well – basically we're screwed.' An almost hysterical laugh escaped Brinley's lips.

'So they're locking you up too?' Sinclair asked in confusion, looking incredibly pale.

'Not exactly.' Brinley bit her lip. 'I was charged with treason and attempted murder - the sentence for that death.'

Marcus' head dropped into his hands at her admission.

'There's more.' Brinley sounded sorrowful and the others took notice. 'I think the both of you are set to suffer the same fate. Pike's making a statement.' Brinley looked to Lincoln and Sinclair.

Sinclair seemed to go even paler, and Lincoln's expression hardened into one of anger.

'I'm sorry, Sinclair.' Brinley frowned.

'Don't be. I knew the risks.' Sinclair sat down beside Kane, a thoughtful look on his face.

'Lincoln-' Brinley started.

'Don't apologise for something that isn't your fault.' Lincoln looked at her. 'Pike is the one to blame.'

Brinley couldn't agree more.

*****

'You inspire them.'

A few hours had passed and most of that time had been spent in silence. Sinclair was lying down now and Marcus hadn't moved from his seated position. Lincoln on the other hand had been constantly checking on the other grounder prisoners, occasionally checking on Brinley too.

Lincoln smiled slightly at Marcus' words as he sat down beside the older man, Brinley seated next to him. 'I'm not going to let you give up either.'

Brinley heard the sound of a door opening, and she stood up immediately. 'We've got company.'

'Chancellor on deck!'

Bellamy was the first person Brinley saw and she pointedly avoided his eyes.

'I thought I had more time?' Marcus sounded genuinely confused and Brinley felt fear course through her at the thought of her Father being dragged away towards his death.

'I'm not here for you.' Pike sounded uncaring as he stared at them. 'Each of you is guilty of the same crimes as Kane, and as such you will face the same fate... death.'

'What is he saying?' One of the prisoners asked.

'Don't worry.' Lincoln replied quickly, moving forward to talk to Pike. 'My people are innocent. They know nothing. Don't let them suffer for my crimes, please.' There was a pleading note in his voice that Brinley hadn't heard before.

'Sir, Lincoln's right. All the others did was run through an open door, same thing we would do if we were in there.' Bellamy spoke up and Brinley noticed Marcus watching him carefully.

'I believe that's true.' Pike decided after a moment. 'Kane, Lincoln, Sinclair and Brinley, as the leaders and key members of this coup, you will pay for your crimes with your lives. Execution is set for dawn.'

it was nothing Brinley didn't already know, but that didn't mean her heart didn't begin to pound against her ribs at an unhealthy pace.

Pike turned and walked away, his entourage of guards following, including Bryan who looked slightly nauseous. Bellamy, however, stayed put for a moment. Brinley glanced up, finding his apologetic eyes already on her; Bellamy opened his mouth to speak-

And Brinley turned away.

After all she'd already said her goodbyes to him.

There was nothing left to say.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

286K 5.9K 55
"You say that you have a whole hell of problems, but you underestimate the hell I've been through," I murmur, as he tilts his head downwards towards...
6.9K 186 17
BOOK 2 of ?? After Mount Weather and killing all of the people in there, Madison left without even saying goodbye to no one, she didn't want to go ba...
25.6K 479 46
Yes this is a rewrite I didn't like how I did my first Bellamy story so I'm putting more information in this one. "I need you now fucking wake up!" "...
7.4K 179 25
In a world where it was all kill or be killed, watch someone die or die yourself. Tyra found something unexpected that came from the sky above. Her...