Coach's Number One

By LaurenJ22

#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult Unwelcoming teammates. A more-than-friendly swim coach. A swim captain who w... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Harvey & Grace ღღღ
MERRY CHRISTMAS! 🎄🎄🎄
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ashton & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Nineteen
Hayden & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Trailer
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
The Choice: Reader Survey
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
BAD LIAR
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue
Shay... I mean slay 🙌🏼
Darker Than Sin 🖤
Coach's Number One: An Interactive Reading Game
Love in the Deep End is LIVE on Chapters Interactive!

Chapter Fifty

152K 6.4K 2.9K
By LaurenJ22

--------------------

Can't believe we're up to chapter fifty! I haven't written a story this long for ages! Thanks for sticking with it! <3

Dedication: Keyko2 for the beautiful comment you wrote! Thank you <3

Recap:

As mum sat down, we began to pile up the food onto our plate. I could feel mum looking between me and Carrie.

"What?" I asked her, feeling self-conscious.

"I just don't get it," she muttered, glancing between the two of us. "I really don't think you look that alike."

I looked up, meeting the deep, brown eyes of Carrie, to see her grinning at me. I couldn't help but grin back.

It's about time someone said that.

--------------------

My muscles ache as I jog.

Sweat beads across my forehead and runs down the back of my neck. I push myself to do another ten minutes, before retiring. My chest is heaving as I collapse onto the bench. I wipe the sweat from my face with my towel, before taking a drink of water.

Mia joins me on the bench, looking pretty much the same as I do.

"You are so competitive," she breathes.

"Like you can talk!"

We have spent the last hour pushing ourselves beyond our limit, trying to out-do the other. All we have to show for it now is aching muscles and overwhelming exhaustion. 

"So, are you going to tell me what the scouts said to you?" I ask her, attempting to even my breathing out.

"Pretty much what they said to you. I've already made my decision."

I quirk an eyebrow at her. 

"Which is?"

"Hayden has always had his heart set on going to Sydney, so I'm going to Melbourne."

My forehead crinkles as I take in her words. 

"But I thought-"

"I know things have changed between us all but I still like him. I know he's with you and that's not going to change. I'd rather start fresh, away from everyone here," she confesses, her cheeks bright red from the exertion of our work out.

I pause for a moment. 

"That makes sense, I guess."

"We can all keep in touch, but I think Melbourne is where I'd like to go, regardless if I hear back from Sydney."

"Fair call."

"Obviously you're going to Sydney as well, right?"

"That's the plan," I agree. "Apparently Carrie wants to go to Sydney as well."

Mia smiles at me.

"Of course she does."

"I can't escape her," I whine, swiping my hand across my forehead.

"You could come to Melbourne. But long distance relationships don't ever work."

"Sydney is a big place, I think I'll manage to survive with her being there. Besides, she's been pretty nice."

"She isn't nice. Trust me. If she's going to Sydney, it's no coincidence. She doesn't even swim competitively anymore."

I bite my lip as I consider Mia's words. I hope she's wrong.

We head into the change rooms. After rinsing off, I step into a pair of shorts and an off-the-shoulder, black T-shirt.

"If I don't see you over the weekend, I'll see you at school on Monday," I tell her as we make our way through the gym.

"Sure. See you."

She walks to her car and for a moment I think she considers offering me a life but I don't wait for the offer. I push my earphones in, feeling drained. 

Dragging my feet with me up the stairs, I make my way into my room, to see Harvey spread across my bed, reading one of my books.

"I haven't even read that yet. Any good?" I ask, not surprised that he has entered my house when I'm not home.

He peers over the top, giving me a grin. 

"It's not bad. When are you going to learn to lock your doors? Like seriously, after everything, you still don't lock the front door?"

I fall onto the bed, my eyes closing, ignoring his question, already realising that I have a terrible habit of doing that. 

"I'm tired."

"That's great, I'm here to rant."

"Okay, go ahead," I fight off a yawn.

"My mum and I got into a huge fight. She doesn't want me to move so far away and with you, of all people." He says that last part in a high pitch voice. I assume he is imitating her.

"Harvey, it's your life. The best opportunities for you are in Sydney. She should be happy for you. I know it's hard for her to let you go, but it's not like you will never see her again. We will come back to visit all the time."

"I said that to her," he sighs, a pout forming on his lips. "She doesn't listen. You know what she's like."

"Give her some time. I'm sure she'll come around."

"Hmm," he shrugs, playing with a bit of his nail. "I hope so."

"And even if she doesn't like me, I'm your best friend. At least you will know someone when you move."

"Good point. I started looking around for accommodation and there's a few share houses near the Uni that will be available next year."

"A share house would be cool. Caitlyn is looking at Sydney, too, right?" I ask him.

"Yeah, she is."

"Me, you, Hayden and Caitlyn?"

"I think that would work, if you and Caitlyn don't get in each other's way too much," he grins. "She's been acting a bit weird lately, though. Not really wanting to talk about the future and stuff."

"Hey, I'll play nice if she does. Besides, we have been getting along pretty well, don't you think? And she's probably just nervous about it all."

"You have made progress," he agrees. "I'm proud of you."

I beam at him. He sighs, leaning his head onto my shoulder.

"This whole future thing is freaking me out, too. I'm not old enough to move and live on my own."

"Yeah you are and you won't be on your own. I'll be right with you, the whole time," I assure him with a smile. "You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because we'll always be best friends."

***

"That is hideous," Mia states bluntly as Leisel emerges from the change rooms, wearing an emerald-coloured dress.

"Hey, it's not that bad," I quickly pipe up, seeing Leisel's face fall. She has been trying to find a nice green dress all morning. I shoot Mia a look, and she rolls her eyes.

"This is useless," Leisel whines. "I'm never going to find my dream dress."

Even though the school formal is a couple months away, Leisel dragged us dress shopping now. I didn't even know when it was, when she rocked up at my house, with an unwilling Mia.

"Yes you will, it just might not be the colour you were hoping for," I reply.

Making a face, Leisel stomps back into the change room.

"You could be a little more helpful," I scold Mia, once Leisel is out of ear shot.

"What? I'm being honest."

Mia had bought the third dress she tried on. She chose a baby blue dress that captured her petite figure, but also had length that appeared to make her seem taller. A series of diamond-looking sequins were placed aesthetically on the top and over the one-shoulder strap. She also purchased shockingly high stilettos to match, making her almost my height. Since I'll also be wearing heels, she will probably only reach my shoulders.

I could wear the navy dress I wore to my mum's award ceremony, but I thought I would get a new one for the formal. You only have your high school formal once, I want everything to be perfect and new.

Leisel exits the change room, a scowl on her face. We continue browsing. I hadn't found much that I had liked yet, except a navy dress, but I don't want to wear navy again.

Leisel picked out a gorgeous maroon dress. I envied it the moment she held it.

Don't try it on, don't try it on, I whisper in my mind as she slings it over her arm.

She tried it on.

She steps out. The dress is beautiful, but didn't fit that well. It was too big in the chest, but too tight around the stomach/hip area.

"It's a really pretty dress," I tell her, eyeing the elegant dress enviously.

"It makes me look fat," she huffs.

"Hey, that dress would look really good on you, Grace," Mia suddenly says.

"Are you hoping I look fat?" I deadpa.

"No, that dress just suits your body better."

"Are you saying she is skinnier than me?" Leisel shrieks.

"Oh for God sake," I hear Mia mutter. "Leisel, give Grace the damn dress."

Looking fed up with the entire shopping experience, even though it was her idea, she steps out of the dress and shoves into my arms. We are away from the other shoppers, but anyone could come around the corner and see her.

"I'll try and find you something else," Mia suggesta, but I know it is an excuse to get away from Leisel.

I enter the change room and swapped my jeans and t-shirt, for the dress. The dress clings to me like second skin. The top dipped so low, that it exposes the sides of my breasts. It is revealing, but the dress is classy enough that I think I could get away with it. It has thin straps, that expose majority of my back, the dress falling shorter at the front, exposing my knees and the skin just above.

"Woah," Leisel exclaims in awe as I step out. "That dress is made for you."

"It's amazing," I breathe, running my hand down the smooth fabric, entranced by the colour of it. "Do you think it shows too much boob?"

"Hayden won't mind," she smirks.

Mia walked back in, holding an emerald dress. Her jaw drops.

"That looks like a completely different dress on you."

"Bitch," Leisel mutters.

I wave my hand to my chest. "This is inappropriate for a school formal though, right?"

"Who cares, what are they going to do, suspend you? We're graduating, no one will care," Mia justifies.

It was Byron Elite, a school of prestige. Mia had a valid point, however.

"You've always stood out anyway, this is just like final statement," Leisel agrees.

"Okay, you've convinced me," I grin.

I delicately remove the dress from me, before changing back into my comfy clothes.

"You found an emerald dress!" Leisel squeals, noticing the dress that Mia is holding. "I take back the bitch comment."

"It wasn't on a rack, I asked the sales girl if she had any. It's new stock, not even priced yet."

Leisel squeals again, yanking it from Mia's hands.

It is a simple dress with sequins beaded at the top, near the neck line and the same around the waist. It is simple, yet beautiful.

It looks gorgeous against her pale skin and dark hair. Mia lets out a breath of relief, seeing the satisfied look on Leisel's face.

"It's the one!"

"Thank God," Mia mutters.

After Leisel and I purchase our dresses, we hop into Mia's car. It is a small white Mazda, that smells like the flower Jasmine inside. There are pink floor mats and the seat covers are lined with dancing, pink butterflies.

"Well, I think that was successful!" Leisel claps, grinning.

"Only because you finally found a dress," Mia replies with an eye roll. "Who's hungry?"

"Starving," I pipe up from the back seat.

As we drive through town, a message from Hayden comes through.

Hayden: How is it going? Find a dress?

Grace: I did! You're going to love it ;)

Hayden: I'm sure it will look good on the floor, after I rip it off you.

I smirk, replying back, just as we pull in to the Subway car park.

"Hey Leisel, what are your plans for next year?" I ask as we pile out of the car.

"I'm travelling with my family. We're going through Europe. I've applied for University now though and when I get an offer, I'll just defer for a year."

"That sounds like an awesome idea."

After ordering, we take a seat by the window. As Leisel texts on her phone and Mia is making googley eyes with the guy who served us, I find myself smiling.

Who would have thought that I'm going to miss these two, when I leave?

----------------------

What do you guys think of the dresses? :-)

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed the chapter! Please comments your thoughts along the way and add the story to a public reading list if you like reading it! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 59.1K 40
He needs a scholarship. She's... well, she's just being nice. To him, she's just another nerd. To her, he's just a washed up jock. But when he finds...
41.9K 791 34
"I think you should go." "Can't handle the truth princess?" "No, I can't handle your lies." "The clock doesn't lie darlin, you've said it yourself." ...
237K 12K 28
Cover by @AndiApplexoxo ****MATURE CONTENT IN BOOK**** ****YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**** Her world is dark. His is bright. She is like a ray of sunshine...
106K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...