Only Olivia

By RostonChelsea

Being a governess was truly the only path open to Olivia Fairfax. Left as a child on the doorstep of Miss Cle... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Quick Note!
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Five

3.6K 194 0
By RostonChelsea

"Wherever are the girls?" asked Lord Baynes the following morning. He peered at Olivia over the top of his newspaper. The reticent governess was grinning over her toast.  

"The library," she replied. 

Lady Baynes, who had been humming to herself in perfect contentment on such a wondrous morning, dropped her knife. It clattered loudly against her plate.  

"I am not long for this world," she announced. "For surely, it is all at an end if my daughters have willingly waltzed into a library." 

"Miss Fairfax is a miracle worker," agreed Alexander. He placed his paper aside and leaned towards Olivia. "Pray tell, what ruse is this?" 

"I have given them riddles to solve and they discovered that the library would hold all the answers they sought." 

"Riddles? How clever!" Catherine exclaimed. She clapped her hands together. "That reminds me." She turned to her husband. "My lord, we absolutely must go to London. The girls are in dire need of new dresses." 

"How did riddles remind you of shopping?" Olivia interrupted.  

"It is quite simple, dear Olivia. You see, when I think of riddles I am reminded of an outing I took whilst in school. I recall I wore the prettiest violet bonnet on that day. Anyway, Miss Clearwater allowed us to go into Bath alone, to the shops. On that day, there were some traveling performers in town and-Oh dear...I think I have mixed my stories up. Give me one second, I am sure that I can recall--" 

"It is no matter, my dear. A visit to town sounds very well indeed. The Season is nearly over, but there are still some people who stay in town. It is a different world once all the husband hunters have retired to the country. Oddly enough, there are more men in town." 

"It is not odd at all," countered Catherine with a laugh. "They can visit their mistresses freely with mothers and daughters safely ensconced at their country houses." She looked furtively to Olivia, quickly adding, "Not all of the men. Some do not have mistresses at all." 

"There's far too much talk of mistressses at the breakfast table. Why not talk of London. Have you ever been, Miss Fairfax?" 

Olivia perked up. "I, too, am making the trip?" She smothered her glee, but was betrayed by a burgeoning smile.  

Catherine nodded as she chewed a bite of eggs. "Did you think we would leave you here while we gallivanted off to town? Oh no, that is bad ton. Besides, Lizzy and Charlotte would refuse to go if you too did not travel. You will not be required to look after them the entire trip. I am sure you have some matters to attend to in London." She wriggled her black brows at her governess. Olivia lowered her gaze to her plate. The same piece of toast lay there uneaten. What a waste of a good life, she thought. To be toasted and she lacked the appetite to consume it.  

She found her voice and ventured with a quick and innocent, "When do we leave?"  

Catherine's face scrunched up in thought as she mulled over the possibilities. She would love to leave tomorrow, but that was far too soon. The household did need to be packed away for the time they were away. How long would they stay in London? Until Christmas at the very least. Christmas in London sounded wonderful indeed. They have spent far too many holidays at Bleumoor.  

"I will say...a week. If we are all packed sooner, we can leave sooner too. I will send a letter to Baynes House so they can expect our arrival." Lady Baynes pushed back her chair and stood up. She placed a quick kiss on her husband's forehead. "I am off to plan. Oh, we should certainly have a small ball too. How divine!" She flitted out of the room, head happily filled with a vision of her governess dancing with a multitude of eligible men. At least, that is what Olivia expected.  

Olivia was of the opinion that Lady Baynes was practicing her matchmaking prowess upon Olivia. The thought was outrageous since she was, as always, a mere governess. Catherine may be for equality between the classes or whatever fervent belief compelled her to treat Olivia with such grace, but the sons of Le Bon Ton would turn their aristocratic noses up at her.  

"My lord," started Olivia. She placed her napkin on the table. "Lady Baynes...do you think she means to make me a match?" 

Alexander set his newspaper aside and leveled a look at Olivia. "Well, Miss Fairfax, I would say that is highly possible. Cat likes to manage matters and see people settled. If not marriage then another way. That is how she is. If you do not like her efforts, please let me know and I will quietly dissuade her." 

"Oh no! No...it is fine. I just find it deuced peculiar. I had thought-well...I had thought she was pushing for me to become Lord Dryden's mistress." Her face grew hot. She could only think of that man's eyes. "I should not talk so openly about this matter. It is not right. But I am not right." She broke off and let out a breath. "I am making little sense. I just...I am not sure what I am trying to say." 

"You did not say much, but I have understood your meaning. You may decide what you want out of your life. As Cat has made abundantly clear, you are family. This means I consider you under my protection. You have the power of my name if you need it." With those words paired with a polite smile, Lord Baynes quit the breakfast room.  

Olivia ran her hands over her face. That was a mortifying conversation. The power of his name? What did that mean? She shook her head. She should pen a quick reply to Lord Dryden. That is, if he was still in London.

14 July 1808 

Bleumoor Park, Kent

Dearest Lord Dryden, 

As always, I hope you are well. Though in this letter, I also hope you are still residing in London. It seems that in a sennight, we shall be making our way to town. Lady Baynes declared her intentions this morning. She believes the girls are lacking drastically in clothing. So, to London we go! 

I hope that you may still have time to escort me to the British Museum. I shall not sleep one wink in anticipation of that event!  

One last matter...I have, after only one year, tricked Charlotte and Lizzy into using the library. But I shall not reveal my secrets. I fear they may fall into the wrongs hands.

Your Affectionate Friend, 

Miss Olivia Fairfax

P.S. I have not had any chance to read that Rousseau book. I trust that on the trip to London, I shall find enough peace to read.

"You are grinning like a right fool," commented Giles Nicholson, Earl of Linville. His dark eyes bored into his friend's profile. "I know it is not a letter from Cecily. I can only imagine you have finally wrangled a mistress." 

Dryden still smiled as he folded the letter and stuffed it in his waistcoat. "No, not a mistress. A pen-pal perhaps. She is Baynes' governess." 

"A governess? I wonder if it's the same one I met at their country party last year. A little thing. Great big eyes and a very pretty figure. Say, is she not about sixteen?" 

"Who would have a sixteen year old governess? Miss Fairfax is not yet twenty. She is exceedingly accomplished for such a young age." 

"That is still young for a governess." Giles shrugged his shoulders. "Why are you exchanging letters with her if she is not your mistress? I am not one to harp about propriety, but that can ruin a woman." 

Philip wanted to argue. He thoughts of countless reasons that could not hold water. Linville was right. As always.  

"They are arriving in town soon. I will end our correspondence in person."  

"It may be for the best," agreed Giles. He did not like the touch of sadness in his friend's eyes. He yawned aloud and looked around the club. It was empty due to the hour. London was empty and those left behind had stayed up far too late carousing in brothels and other intimate establishments. Giles, however, had a temperamental opera singer as his mistress. A Signorina Gabriella Luccini of golden voice and Titian hair.  

That's what Philip needed. A mistress. Lord knows his wife, Lady Dryden, had wasted no time in securing her own lover. This governess...what was her name? Miss Fairfax? Yes, that seemed about right. She would not do well for such a role. That girl could have a good life once she found a husband. Governesses never made good mistresses. They could never be satisfied conducting most of their business on their backs.  

Maybe Gabriella knew a woman to introduce to Philip. It's just what he needed. She was sultry and satisfying. At least, that is what he had been told by a slew of other amiable gentlemen.  

"Linville, did you hear me?"  

"No. What were you saying?"  

"I am leaving. This other note," he brandished a smaller card and waved it in the air, "says that they have already arrived in town. I mean to pay them a visit." 

"Can I accompany you? I haven't seen that lot since last summer."  

Philip wanted to refuse his company, but lacked the heart. "If you so desire."  

"Oh, I certainly do."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Runaway Princess By Laura

Historical Fiction

2.5M 116K 28
To the unknowing eye, the exotic young woman making her way through the English countryside is just another poor girl, hungry and looking for work. B...
289 14 9
Olivia Jones is a happily married woman; so we thought. Even though her husband gives her everything she desires. She still dreams of more. She decid...
1.2M 67.9K 43
What is a proper young lady to do when she finds a stranger sleeping in her bed? Angelique Grafton doesn't know much about love. Resigned to marry th...
307 8 12
Olivia has always been with the wrong guys. Suddenly one day, she runs into someone, a new guy. He has light brown hair, blue eyes, and seems almost...