Chapter Seven

July 28, 1808
4 Half Moon Street, London
Dear Lord Baynes,

I hope you and your family are faring well in this desolate heat. In Bath we have some respite from the summer thanks to our waters.

I will begin by telling you that your letter did not come as a surprise. I knew that sooner or later you or Lady Baynes would reach out to me. I knew when I first recommended her to your employ of the similarities she shared with your wife. Though I know well enough that she is of no kin to her. 

You must have noticed her brilliance and other aspects that make it impossible for her to be the base-born child of some common folk. You have the power and resources to delve further into her ancestry. I am positive she is of aristocratic stock. 

When she arrived on our doorstep, she was garbed in fine linens—silk and the softest wool. There was no letter. One of the footmen did recall seeing a woman running off in the night. I believe that finding her will help us to find Miss Fairfax's parents. 

Regards,
Miss Clearwater

 “He had business to attend to in Bath,” explained Catherine. She had not missed the tradition of afternoon calls. Her friends from Miss Clearwater's had not become any more cultured. In fact, they must have gotten more silly and frivolous. From the tips of their kid leather boots to the tops of their turbans, all the ladies cared to discuss were their marriageable daughters. They all had at least three years before they were ready to be launched into Society. At least her current caller was straight-forward.

“What a shame,” said a Lady Nelson, of moist eyes and quivering voice. She had a frightful little cat sitting on her lap. Long white coat and rather evil blue eyes. She carried Princess Posy with her everywhere, trailing cat hair in their wake. “I had so hoped to see Lord Baynes again.” She rubbed Princess Posy behind her ears. “I did see Lord Dryden's card in the hall...is he here?” 

“He is visiting with my daughters,” she replied. It was unlike Lady Nelson to be so indirect. She must be inhaling far too much cat hair.

“I saw him the other day at the British Museum.”

Ah, thought Catherine, here it was. Hindsight was bittersweet. Olivia's casual entry into London had caused a smattering of uproar. Not a lot, but enough for Lady Baynes to kick herself over allowing her to be seen in public on the arm of Philip. The scandal sheets picked up on the scent and proclaimed Olivia to be a distant cousin to the Viscountess Baynes. Neither Catherine nor Philip had refuted the claims. 

“My cousin, Miss Fairfax, is a great lover of history and archaeology. Lord Dryden was gracious in escorting her to the museum. I would have been of little help for her inquiring mind.”

“I cannot think well of academic-minded women, but the world is a different place than it was when I was a girl. Right, Princess Posy?”

The cat offered a meow to her human. Lady Nelson patted her head. “Why is she not accepting calls with you?”

“Miss Fairfax is a particular favourite of my daughters.” Lady Nelson's eyebrow quirked in interest. She scratched beneath Princess Posy's chin. “I am very lucky to have her in my household.” 

“Household...yes,” she murmured. “I have nearly overstayed my welcome. I would hate to be here when someone else came calling. I look forward to your ball next week, Lady Baynes.” 

Catherine rose to her feet, watching her amble out. That blasted ball! She had forgotten about it. How unlike her. 

“I have so much work to do!” She cried. Catherine licked her lips before drawing them into a pout. She had been far too busy with outfitting Miss Fairfax in clothes befitting her assumed station. That girl was a beauty though her tastes ran simple. She turned her nose up at silken gowns with tiers of Venetian lace but embraced a beautiful ivory ballgown in with an overlay of delicate silver net. Catherine also convinced to order a couple of day gowns in a shades of Cerulean, Pomona and Puce. The dear girl promised to pay the expense of the new wardrobe. She even offered to forfeit any future wages until the debt was repaid. Catherine found her protests charming and insisted they were gifts for such splendid work with the twins.