Chapter Twenty-Three

Mid-January brought Olivia back to London. She returned to her little house, full of determination. Her holiday away filled her with the strength and willpower she had lost. She found Lord Dryden in his study, staring at his desk. She hovered at the door, watching him for just a moment longer. Somehow, she expected his attractiveness to diminish with the distance and her change in affection. But, he sat there the sunlight casting a halo upon his head and her breath caught. She shook her head and walked inside the room.

Olivia kept her hands behind her back, gripping onto the pleated folds of her skirts. He glanced up from his desk, blue eyes bloodshot. "Olivia," he croaked out. "I am sorry."

"What have you done?"

"I received my divorce and have asked Kassandra to marry me." He almost sounded apologetic.

"Then it is with great fortune I have come here to end our entanglement," said Olivia brightly.

"End? But...no, you're right." Philip shuffled through the papers on his desk. "I will speak with my lawyer about the contract." He licked his lips, voice trembling on his next words, "I cannot express how sorry I am. You were all I ever wanted. I--"

"Please stop, Lord Dryden. If that was true, then you would not have sought another."

Philip hung his head. "I cannot marry you," he explained in a low voice. "I am unable. My father's will states that I cannot marry a woman of a lower class. It is not that I do not want to...I simply cannot. I will lose my estate, my title, my fortune."

The governess tilted her head back, a sigh escaping her lips. "Since we do not live in a novel, I cannot expect you to sacrifice your livelihood to marry one such as me."

His explanation was the final piece of what had puzzled her for so long. Wills had the power to make or break someone. Dryden had the misfortune of a father who controlled him from beyond the grave. Still, she felt a little bit at peace.

"I love you so very much, Olivia. I did not want to cause you any harm."

"But, you did." She cleared her throat, forcing a smile on her face. "I will be removing myself to the Baynes if you need to send a note."

"This is your house," reminded Philip. "It is in your name."

"Stay here until you find rooms in the city, I know you don't rent any."

"I appreciate your kindness, but...Cecily has returned to the country, so Dryden House is available."

"Then, I will stay here. I expect your belongings to be removed three days hence." She turned on her heel and strode out of the study. Olivia made it out of sight before her knees weakened. She collapsed against a wall, breathing heavily.

That had not been as hard as she expected. Yes, her heart ached and her head swam, but it was done. She could put her life back in order. She could figure out her plans. Olivia took a steadying breath.

For now, she needed to hire a lawyer and find someone to handle her business matters. The contract stipulated an impressive settlement, which did not include all the stipulations according to infidelity and the like. She almost had to laugh at a mistress contract including a cause for infidelity when the entire relationship was founded upon such. Even so, Olivia would benefit from what she once thought silly.

She had to thank her younger self for agreeing to the contract. Olivia found Hannah fretting over her trunks. The maid frowned at the contents, deep in thought.

"Hannah, we are staying with the Baynes for a few days."

"Then what, Miss?"

"We return to our home to find it devoid of a masculine presence."