Chapter Five

"Wherever are the girls?" asked Lord Baynes the following morning. He peered at Olivia over the top of his newspaper. The reticent governess was grinning over her toast.  

"The library," she replied. 

Lady Baynes, who had been humming to herself in perfect contentment on such a wondrous morning, dropped her knife. It clattered loudly against her plate.  

"I am not long for this world," she announced. "For surely, it is all at an end if my daughters have willingly waltzed into a library." 

"Miss Fairfax is a miracle worker," agreed Alexander. He placed his paper aside and leaned towards Olivia. "Pray tell, what ruse is this?" 

"I have given them riddles to solve and they discovered that the library would hold all the answers they sought." 

"Riddles? How clever!" Catherine exclaimed. She clapped her hands together. "That reminds me." She turned to her husband. "My lord, we absolutely must go to London. The girls are in dire need of new dresses." 

"How did riddles remind you of shopping?" Olivia interrupted.  

"It is quite simple, dear Olivia. You see, when I think of riddles I am reminded of an outing I took whilst in school. I recall I wore the prettiest violet bonnet on that day. Anyway, Miss Clearwater allowed us to go into Bath alone, to the shops. On that day, there were some traveling performers in town and-Oh dear...I think I have mixed my stories up. Give me one second, I am sure that I can recall--" 

"It is no matter, my dear. A visit to town sounds very well indeed. The Season is nearly over, but there are still some people who stay in town. It is a different world once all the husband hunters have retired to the country. Oddly enough, there are more men in town." 

"It is not odd at all," countered Catherine with a laugh. "They can visit their mistresses freely with mothers and daughters safely ensconced at their country houses." She looked furtively to Olivia, quickly adding, "Not all of the men. Some do not have mistresses at all." 

"There's far too much talk of mistressses at the breakfast table. Why not talk of London. Have you ever been, Miss Fairfax?" 

Olivia perked up. "I, too, am making the trip?" She smothered her glee, but was betrayed by a burgeoning smile.  

Catherine nodded as she chewed a bite of eggs. "Did you think we would leave you here while we gallivanted off to town? Oh no, that is bad ton. Besides, Lizzy and Charlotte would refuse to go if you too did not travel. You will not be required to look after them the entire trip. I am sure you have some matters to attend to in London." She wriggled her black brows at her governess. Olivia lowered her gaze to her plate. The same piece of toast lay there uneaten. What a waste of a good life, she thought. To be toasted and she lacked the appetite to consume it.  

She found her voice and ventured with a quick and innocent, "When do we leave?"  

Catherine's face scrunched up in thought as she mulled over the possibilities. She would love to leave tomorrow, but that was far too soon. The household did need to be packed away for the time they were away. How long would they stay in London? Until Christmas at the very least. Christmas in London sounded wonderful indeed. They have spent far too many holidays at Bleumoor.  

"I will say...a week. If we are all packed sooner, we can leave sooner too. I will send a letter to Baynes House so they can expect our arrival." Lady Baynes pushed back her chair and stood up. She placed a quick kiss on her husband's forehead. "I am off to plan. Oh, we should certainly have a small ball too. How divine!" She flitted out of the room, head happily filled with a vision of her governess dancing with a multitude of eligible men. At least, that is what Olivia expected.