Chapter Twenty-Four

Miss Olivia Fairfax called upon Mrs. Cecily Dove at her home on Grosvenor Street three days later, eager to speak with an old friend. It was on a quieter, less fashionable street, a change from the Dryden townhome. But the woman appeared far more at ease and decidedly happier than she ever did in the Dryden home.

"Olivia, it has been too long!" She greeted, rising from her chaise lounge. Olivia dipped into a curtsy. The new Mrs. Dove radiated contentment though her lips still quirked into her signature smirk.

"I fear it has. But you look very well, Cecily. Does Grosvenor Square agree with you?"

"I must admit it does. It is not nearly as smart as Berkley Square, but I believe I will live." Cecily folded her hands on her lap. "How are you faring? Cat called upon me last month. As you know, she is an incorrigible gossip and had much to say on the topic of your life."

"Yes, I ended my arrangement with Dryden."

Cecily waved her off. "I do not speak of that. It does not warrant a mention. The sheets are all in a flutter over him courting that Austrian woman. I wonder instead over a certain unattainable earl's proposal of marriage to a certain governess friend of mine."

She leaned back on the couch, draping an arm across her eyes. "She was not supposed to mention it to anyone."

"I can be very persuasive. She truly did not want to share."

"As the rest of the ton has not heard, I imagine she has only told you."

"Yes, yes, but what about Linville?"

"We have not spoken of it much since that evening." Olivia huffed. "I cannot even think of it right now."

"Very well, let us speak of your reason for visiting?"

"I am soon to have far more money than I will ever use. I want to start a home for orphans and other unwanted children. I know there are such establishments for boys, but girls can be more suspect to a harder life on the streets."

"And you have come to me? I am no philanthropist, Olivia."

"Of that I am aware, but you have a daughter. Another husband would have forced you to abandon her due to the circumstances of her birth. I, too, am fortunate in my life. I could have ended up on the streets or in a brothel. I want to help others not as fortunate as me."

Cecily, too, had been lucky. Dryden did not force her to give up Lucy and even provided for her in their divorce. She shuddered to think where her beloved daughter might have ended without Matthew's dedication and Dryden's kindness. The news recounted the sad fates of many of those orphaned girls. It was not pretty.

"I will help. Where do we start?"

"Ellis has lent me the use of his steward to locate some properties. He surmises his man will have an assortment ready to view within a fortnight."

"How very helpful of Linville," cooed Cecily. "I will be pleased to assist you in this endeavour."

"The dowager countess is to aid us. She is very keen on this Home for Girls."

Cecily leaned forward in her seat. "You have met the dowager? She is a treasure, is she not?"

"Oh yes, she has been very kind to me. She, too, has decided to undertake the task of finding a place of refuge for these girls and women."

"We absolutely must take tea together, dear girl! Is she aware of her son's interest in you?"

"I know not why that is of any consequence. But, tea sounds best. Ellis mentioned Lady Linville plans to host a dinner party soon. As far as I know, it is to be an average English one, but one never knows..."