Guilty By Association

By mithimuffin

An object at rest will remain at rest, until acted upon by an outside force. In the case of Kelsey Winters... More

Introduction
COPYRIGHT Statement
Excerpt
Chapter 1 - Rocha's Girl
Chapter 2 - Mistaken Identity
Chapter 3 - Startling Pull
Chapter 4 - The Body
Chapter 5 - Shoe Shopping
Chapter 6 - Nighttime Security
Chapter 7 - The Missing Sister
Chapter 8 - The Second Interrogation
Chapter 9 - Quandary
Chapter 11 - First Encounter
Chapter 12 - The One Who Got Away
Chapter 12.5
Chapter 13 - Tender Moments
Chapter 14 - Breaking the News
Chapter 15 - Because of Kara
Chapter 16 - Insightful Chatting
Chapter 17 - A Complete Family
Chapter 18 - Girls Night Out
Chapter 19 - Dana Marries James
Chapter 20 - A Tiger's Eye
Chapter 21 - Keep Her Safe
Chapter 22 - Associating With a Cop
Chapter 23 - Away
Chapter 24 - Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder
Chapter 25 - Just Break The Ice
Chapter 26 - Changing The Plan
Chapter 27 - Something Very Not Right
Chapter 28 - In Captivity
Chapter 29 - In The Hands Of The Enemy
Chapter 30 - Almost Good
Chapter 31 - Doing His Best
Chapter 32 - Unwanted Hurtle
Chapter 33 - The Enemy's Enemy
Chapter 34 - Gone Again
Chapter 35 - Mind-Boggling Thoughts
Chapter 36 - Verona's Statement
Chapter 37 - Catastrophic Intentions
Chapter 38 - She Rolled
Chapter 39 - Put the Past in a Box and Move On
Chapter 40 - Improvised Plans
Chapter 41 - Bravery is a Façade
Chapter 42 - The Last Bullet
Chapter 43 - Tying Loose Ends
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter ~ Or Something
Bonus Chapter - Unpredictable Actions
Bonus Part ~ Loose Ends

Chapter 10 - Alex Diaz

996 54 2
By mithimuffin

Chapter 10 – Alex Diaz

After Kelsey and Kara left from his office, Alex was flooded with thoughts. The key one being why had so willingly Kara come to him?

Surely, she would have known that Alex could arrest her, if he wanted. He’d already tried to arrest Kelsey. He could have done the same to her and she’d given him the opportunity to.

Alex had never dealt with a case that had twins involved, and this particular first one was turning out to be quite a pain in the ass.

Then again, there were several other technicalities that Alex didn’t understand. Why did Kara and Kelsey both ignite different reactions in him? They were identical. If it was lust, then surely he should have felt something for Kara, too, but he didn’t. The whole time he was in the interrogation room with her, his mind kept shifting back to Kelsey, who he knew was in his office.

Then, he remembered the way Dylan and Kelsey had been flirting when he’d entered the break room. They’d barely acknowledged his presence until he’d spoken. Even Shay didn’t look up. That irked him the most.

He knew Dylan was handsome and he was expressing an interest in Kelsey. Alex could hardly tell him to back away, so he’d settled for telling Dylan that he couldn’t get involved with a probably suspect. Alex knew that Kelsey wasn’t a suspect but if that bit of information kept Dylan away from Kelsey, so be it.

Alex had never been so wound up because of a girl, before. He was completely dedicated to his work. That must be it, he decided. He must have somehow associated Kelsey with the Caleb Rocha case, a case he’d put his all into. Catching Caleb Rocha was a dream to Alex, something he wanted more than anything and by associating Kelsey to it…it made him want her, too.

Alex shook his head. He was being ridiculous. He was being foolish. When he wasn’t thinking about his unfamiliar feelings, he was thinking about why they were there, when he actually should have been doing something to catch Caleb Rocha.

Slouching back into his chair, he opened up Caleb Rocha’s file, something he read countless times, yet never tired of it. Rocha fascinated him.

There’s no record anywhere of him ever leaving the city, but there’s also no record of where he might be inside of the city, either. He’s been untraceable for nearly fourteen years and Alex had been in-charge of his case for nearly two years. There were times when Alex felt like he’d caught him, only to later realize that he’d been led on a wild goose chase.

He had basically become a walking talking Caleb Rocha encyclopedia. And Rocha was a very interesting character.

When Caleb was five, his father lost his job and took to drinking. That was also when Francis Rocha started partaking in criminal activities, a small gang in the neighborhood they lived in. Over time, as he got more and more involved in his gang, he also got more abusive towards his son. His mother had always been a housewife who became a druggie, squandering whatever money they had.

At sixteen, Caleb got his first job, working behind the counter in a local movie theater. He hadn’t been able to keep it, as his attendance was very poor. At seventeen, he got a speeding ticket, his first real encounter with law. Before that point, Caleb Rocha didn't even exist in the eyes of law. At eighteen, he fought back to his father and killed him. His father’s body was discovered, oozing blood out with a broken beer bottle in his abdomen. The cause of death had been loss of blood due to the injury. Rocha was arrested.

While in custody, several brutal injuries were discovered on his body, suggesting that perhaps there was child abuse going on. He was released due to lack of evidence the very next morning. The only fingerprints on the beer bottle had belonged to Francis Rocha. His mother, Jennifer, committed suicide the next day, by slitting her wrists in the bathtub. She was discovered by a neighbor who had come to check on her. The bathtub had been full of water, mixed with her blood.

Ever since, Caleb was missing. Alex believed that it was his mother’s death that had triggered his violence, combined with his father’s murder.  Whatever it was, he turned out to be really dangerous.

He got involved with the gang his father was involved with and quickly climbed up the ranks. He killed Simon Navarro, who had been the main guy up till then and took over the gang. He started doing drug dealing and was now one of the biggest drug lords in America.

Even though Alex refused to sympathize or even empathize with criminals, he still pitied them. He pitied how they gave their lives to crime and to wrong, not realizing their mistakes until they reached their deathbed. Sometimes, for the more unfortunate ones, not even then.

When Alex had chosen his path, he’d decided he wanted to dedicate himself to it. He couldn’t imagine himself with a woman. He had three sisters and two nieces. Sure, little Elisa had just turned one a little while back, but he knew what women were like. Women sought comfort and time from a man, and once Alex had chosen his path, he was certain he could never provide so much time to a wife or lover. It just wouldn’t last.

Sometimes, when he saw a man with his wife and children, Alex felt jealous. Even the biggest criminals had the pleasure of having a woman in their life, a woman who would love them, care for them, and give them children.

When Alex visited his sister, Gabriella, who had two children, Diego and Sophia, something inside of him craved that kind of unconditional love, a love that only a child could provide.

But then, he would see what he did, the importance of what he did, and he knew that the sacrifice he’d made was worth it. His sacrifice helped protect all these families. It protected Diego, Sophia, and Elisa. It protected his siblings. It protected his mother. His father had made the same sacrifice.

And lost his life, too.

Alex had only been five years old when his father died and Gabriella hadn’t even been born. He remembered very little of his father’s death, but he didn’t remain hidden from the tears in his mother’s eyes and all the lonely nights she’d had.

Alex didn’t like Jonathan, his mother’s second husband, very much, but he made Maria happy, and so Alex tolerated him. He brought the smile back on her face. Alex got three more siblings because of him and Alex loved Dana, Isabella, and Leonardo just as much as he loved Gabriella.

Alex never doubted the life he’d chosen. He was proud of what he did. He knew that if there were people asleep in their beds at night without a worry about their safety, it was because of Alex and hundreds of other individuals who dedicated their life to their job.

Alex never thought about getting a wife and children, despite Maria Diaz-Carrillo’s constant nagging. Why would he? That would be selfish. If anything ever happened to him while he was working, his family would be alone and Alex didn’t want that for people he loved.

Sophia loved him like another dad. Diego respected Alex. He saw Alex as an idol. Even Leonardo respected Alex and Alex loved his family. He did this for his family and hundreds of other families out there.

He’d been doing and he never strayed from his path. Yet, in the last few days, Kelsey Winters had managed to slip under all of his walls. With one smile from her, Alex was speechless. Her laugh brightened up Alex’s day. He didn’t know her that well, but he liked what he did know and he had a constant craving to know more. And that scared Alex more than anything else.

Because he shouldn’t get close to Kelsey.

Even now, with her face in his memory, Alex was fighting the constant urge to find an acceptable reason to spend time with her.

Then, his mood soured. Whenever Kelsey came to mind, that sister of hers did, too. Alex understood why Kelsey wished to support her sister. Alex would do the same thing. He was absolutely certain that Gabriella, Dana, or Isabella would associate with a criminal. All three had been reasonable in their choices, even Isabella, who was still young and immature.

But Kelsey was unlike any of his sisters. Gabriella was calm and poised all of the time. Dana was confident and athletic. And Isabella? She was like their mother, clever and wild. Kelsey wasn’t like them.

Kelsey was just as Alex had described her: like a little mouse, filled with loyalty and adorable. That’s what he liked about her.

Alex’s phone rang and Alex answered it without checking the caller ID. “Diaz.”

“Alex?” The voice on the other end of the line was surprised, but as expected, she quickly overcame it. “Where have you been, hijo? I’ve been trying to get a hold of you for days!”

Mama,” Alex began slowly. He was tired.

“Don’t Mama me.” María Díaz-Carrillo responded. “Why don’t you answer my calls?”

“I’m busy at work, Mama.” Alex responded. “I’m at work. Can I call you back later?”

“Absolutely not. I have wonderful news.” She said, her voice jumping with excitement. “We’ve got a date set for Dana’s wedding.”

Alex smiled. That was good news. “That’s wonderful, Mama. Tell her I’m happy for her.”

“Tell her yourself.” His mother responded. After a little shuffling on the other end of the line, his sister’s voice appeared on the phone.

“Hello?”

“Congratulations, Dana.” Alex told her.

“Where have you been, Alex?” Dana demanded. Dana’s voice was thick and demanding, just like her. “I’ve visited your apartment three times in the past week. You’re never there.”

“I’m sorry, sister.” Alex apologized. “I’ve been busy at work.”

“You’re always busy at work.” Dana complained, and her disapproval was not unjust. “Alex,” She said, slowly, uncertainty seeping into her voice. “You are going to be at my wedding, aren’t you?”

“Of course.” Alex responded, immediately. As dedicated as he was to work, he would never miss his sister’s wedding. He hadn’t missed Gabriella’s and he wouldn’t miss Dana’s or Isabella’s weddings either. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world. When is it?”

Alex didn’t want anyone to think that he was partial to Gabriella because she was his complete sister, and not half-sister like Dana and Isabella. He loved all of his sisters equally.

“You better not.” Dana threatened him. “We’re having it at our church this Saturday. On Friday, we’re having a lunch on Friday afternoon. You can bring someone, if you like.” She added, suggestively. “And James is having a bachelor party at his place on Friday night. A few of us girls are also getting together at our place for a bachelorette party, too. Please ask Shay to come.”

Shay had been getting along with his sisters, very nicely. “I will.” Alex assured Dana. If Dana wanted Shay at her bachelor party, then Alex would be sure to extend the invitation to her.

“And you can bring your plus one to the wedding, too, and the luncheon.” Dana hinted. Alex resisted the urge to sigh. It was well-known in the family that Mama Maria was bugging Alex to get married, but his sister also was supportive of the fact.

“Please don’t tell me Mama is doing her match-making.” Alex pleaded, with a concerned frown on his face.

Dana chuckled. “Si.” Dana responded. “Do you want me to tell her you’re bringing someone?”

When Alex had last met his mother, she had introduced him to Nina Sanchez. Alex still had nightmares about the twenty minutes he had to spend with her. “Tell her I have a date.” Alex said.

Dana squealed on the other end of the line. “That’s so exciting! I can't wait to meet her! See you then, brother!” With that, Dana quickly hung up, leaving Alex wondering what he had gotten himself into.

Who was he going to take to the wedding? Kelsey?

He glanced down at his phone and was surprised to see three missed calls from Kelsey. Had she called when Alex was talking to Dana? Alex was surprised he hadn’t noticed. She’d called him three times. It had to be important. Kelsey didn’t strike him as the kind of woman to call someone to have a friendly conversation. Wondering what could have been so urgent, he quickly dialed her number.

It only rang one time before Kelsey answered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Kelsey and Kara left from the FBI building, Kara insisted for Kelsey to drop her off at their dad’s house. Kelsey suspected it was because Kara was unhappy with her because of what she’d said about her relationship with Caleb.

Kelsey knew she had no right to judge, considering that she was slowly but surely crushing on a certain cop, but even she knew that this was different. Her affections weren’t returned and Alex’s job was a respectful one.

In many ways, perhaps Kelsey and Kara were not all that different. After all, Kelsey was certain that even Alex had probably shot a handful of people. Even if he was a killer, he killed because it was his job, his duty to his nation.

Criminals like Caleb just killed for fun, just because they wanted to do it. That’s what Kelsey didn’t like.

But then, if Caleb Rocha even looked half as sexy wielding a gun as Alex did, Kelsey supposed she could understand where Kara’s affections sprouted from.

Giving herself a moment to recover from that bewildering thought, she finally came to a stop on their father’s driveway. “He’s not back yet.” Kelsey noted, observing the vacant driveway.

“I have a key.” Kara responded, coldly, opening the door.

“I’m sorry, Kara.” Kelsey apologized again. “I know what I said was rude and inconsiderate and I shouldn’t have even said it.”

“You shouldn’t have even thought about it!” Kara retaliated, passionately. “It was almost as if you thought I was still helping him. You’re my sister. I didn’t know if anyone else would have trusted me, but I genuinely believed that you would believe me. You proved me wrong.”

Kelsey’s heart ached at Kara’s words, but she couldn’t bring herself to deny that they weren’t true. Perhaps, if Kara had come to her before Alex did, Kelsey might have been more susceptible to Kara’s blackmailing, but Kelsey had a lot of time to think about this before Kara came and Kara’s words just weren’t as affective on her, anymore.

Not receiving an answer, Kara sighed, pushing the door to Kelsey’s car opened. “It’s nice to see that FBI agent trusts me more than my own sister.” Kara declared, and with that, she slammed the door shut and headed into the house.

Kara thought that Alex let her go because he trusted her? No, Alex let her go because he didn’t have enough evidence to keep her there.

Still, Kelsey pulled out of her driveway and proceeded towards her own house, until she noticed a wallet on the floor of her car. Coming to a red light, Kelsey reached over and picked it up, examining it. Judging from the pink rhinestones scattered across the cover, Kelsey knew it was Kara’s.

Knowing she shouldn’t, that she didn’t have the right to pry, Kelsey still opened it and looked inside. It was all normal stuff: money, driver’s license, and a bunch of credit card. Kelsey was just about to shut it when her eyes landed on something wide between the bills. She took it out, surprised to see that it was a photograph of Kara. She was in the arms of a man and they were laughing, their noses touching. Kelsey looked closer, finding the man familiar. Caleb Rocha.

Kelsey pulled out her own cell phone and snapped a picture of the photograph. She suddenly jumped as the sudden sound of a horn startled her. Looking up, she saw that the light had turned red and there was a very angry looking driver in the car behind her. Kelsey eased off the brake and turned into the next street, pulling over to the side.

She slipped Kara’s photograph back into her wallet and snapped it shut, before making a U-turn so she could return Kara’s wallet to her. She would tell her that she brought it back as soon as she saw it.

As she pulled into her father’s street, she saw Kara coming out of her house in a black hoodie. Grateful that her presence hadn’t caught Kara’s attention, she quietly pulled over to the side and waited, curious as to what Kara was doing.

Kara walked across the street, towards the intersection before stopping in front of an unfamiliar white sedan. Kara opened the driver’s side door and got inside, starting the car. Kelsey blinked, surprised. When she’d come earlier, she supposed that the car was parked far away enough to not catch her attention.

When Kara pulled out of the street, Kelsey’s mind was made.

With that, she turned on her blinker and followed her sister.

What is Kelsey getting herself into this time?

The next update will be Friday, March 28, 2014.

Or, if we are able to get 70 votes on this story, I will update sooner!

You're going to love the next chapter! Maybe, mabye not. But you guys were wondering what the deal with Kara is, right? Well, you'll find out a little bit about what's going on in her head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259K 8.4K 36
a simple yet beautiful hard-working girl falls in love with simply the wrong but the right guy at the same time, jasmine white is a 24 years old wom...
215 3 55
"I thought you would come for me." "I am. I'm on my way right now!" "...Really? You want me to believe that?" "I want you to believe I'll never leave...
148K 7.7K 42
Xiao Zhan is a filial son. He is very cheerful and generous, but he wants to build a record to be having 50 girlfriends in one year. Can he make his...
2.3K 76 39
Jessica Gray has had a good high school experience. Now it's her senior year with her twin brother Reece Gray. She wants this year to be like the res...