Only Olivia

By RostonChelsea

Being a governess was truly the only path open to Olivia Fairfax. Left as a child on the doorstep of Miss Cle... More

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Quick Note!
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Four

4.2K 229 11
By RostonChelsea

A fortnight later on a humid midsummer night, Miss Fairfax could be found penning a letter at her small writing desk. She wrote with great care and at a halting pace. Olivia wrote a few words and then read them aloud. "I hope this letter finds you well..." She bent closer to the paper. "I regret how I left you that night..." She chewed on her bottom lip. 

Olivia let out an anguished groan and crumpled the paper. It joined a tiny mountain of rejected missives on the floor. For all her skills, Olivia was not a great letter writer. With her lack of family and acquaintances, she never had the chance to practice. Was there a book on letter writing? If a subject could not be learned from a book, she deemed it useless. Like letter writing. It was 1808, surely society was above such forms of communication now! 

She set her pen down and cracked her fingers. "One last try," Olivia murmured. She pushed her curling hair out of eyes. The blank page overwhelmed her. There was too much space to fill. Too many words she could write.  

It would be an easy matter to write to him of her days at Bleumoor Park, of the funny remarks the twin would say. She could explain herself and why she could not give in to what he wanted. She did not know him at all and he certainly did not know her. Why did she let herself become so undone in those few days? 

Lord Dryden may not have even thought of her. Men liked pretty governesses. That was that. Once he did not spy her face across the drawing room anymore, he would surely forget her. A frown tugged at her lips. This flutter in her heart when she thought of him...was this love? How could she find out? She did not like what it was doing to her.  

Olivia shut her eyes. All she saw was him. All she had seen since she met him was him. Oh, she was being foolish. A servant enamoured of an earl. What a travesty. The memory of his flexible lips quirking into a smile made her own lips turn up into a half-smile. Those dark blue eyes that shimmered in good humour haunted her dreams.  

"Buck up, Miss Fairfax." She picked up her pen and began to write.

24 June 1808 

Bleumoor Park, Kent 

Lord Dryden,

I trust this letter will find you well. Please do not find me brazen for penning you a letter. From what I have learned from Miss Clearwater, an unmarried woman should not write letters to a man, especially if he is above her station. If you can ignore the impropriety of my actions, I will be much relieved.  

I fear my letter may be dull for I am no great writer. I have written to you to offer my apologies for our last meeting. I was nothing short of rude. I had wanted to apologize the next morning, but Catherine Baynes had told me that you had decided to quit the country. Was it not to your liking? I must say that I miss Bath and Miss Clearwater's. Some days, I feel trapped between worlds at Bleumoor. I am not exactly a servant, but certainly not a member of the family. It can be difficult to sort out how exactly I am supposed to act. 

Not to say that the Baynes have not been kind. They are the most wonderful family. I worry that Catherine considers me a distant relative of hers since we share so many traits. I do not want her to be disappointed when it is revealed I am the simple daughter of a courtesan or some other unsavoury woman. 

This letter has gone on longer than I intended. Enjoy your time in London.

Respectfully, 

Miss Olivia Fairfax

27 June 1808 

London 

Dear Miss Fairfax, 

I was intolerably shocked upon receiving your letter at breakfast this morning. Upon reading it, I had to withdraw at once to my study to pen a reply.  

Your letter does find me well though I have become bored already of the London scene. I will say nothing on your blatant disregard for societal rules. In fact, I find it most charming for I crave intelligent conversation. 

Not once as I read your missive did I feel overcome with boredom. In fact, I was smiling the whole time since you decided to reveal some of your life to me. Also, do not offer apologies where they are not needed. I asked far too much of you for our short acquaintance.  

As for your bout of ennui, please remember that the entire Baynes family loves you dearly. They do not prescribe to all the proper rules and truly consider you to be a part of their small family. Do not overthink on it and merely accept it as best you can. Also, ignore Cat's claims that you are a distant relation of her family. It is a preposterous assumption. It is more likely for you to be the daughter of French aristocrats or the illegitimate daughter of a peer.  

I have enclosed a series of pamphlets from some academic seminars I have attended in London. Recently I also visited the British Museum and was, at last, able to view the Rosetta Stone. It is a marvelous piece of history. If anyone can crack the code of Egyptian hieroglyphs, I am sure it is you. Next time, Cat travels to her London modiste, you must travel with her. If I am still in town, I will escort you to the British Museum. 

I am sure there is little more I will enjoy than watching you gape at the treasures it holds.

Best regards, 

Dryden

3 July 1808 

Bleumoor Park, Kent 

Dear Lord Dryden, 

I am wretched! I had meant to reply to your letter days ago, but Lizzy and Charlotte are, as ever, incorrigible little darlings.  

Thank you for your kind words. They have certainly soothed my troubled mind. It is merely an unorthodox situation for which Miss Clearwater never prepared me. If matters do not fit what I know, I have a difficult time accepting them.  

I actually laughed aloud at your guesses on my parentage. French aristocracy? How amusing! I would surely die of shock if it turned out to be the truth. How would one orphan girl even go about finding out her parents? 

I must say that I have read those pamphlets over and over again. They are nearly in tatters. I find myself green with envy that you are able to visit these places that offer such a wealth of information. As for the Rosetta stone, I shall pretend I did not read that or I will surely grow mad. It has always been one of my biggest desires to see it in person as well as the Greek antiquities that Lord Elgin acquired.  

Catherine has already visited London a few months ago to order new gowns, so I fear a trip will not happen for some months yet. If it is to ever happen, I will gladly take you up on your offer.  

You are far too kind, my lord. Is the heat as unbearable in town as it is here?

Faitfully, 

Miss Olivia Fairfax

10 July 1808 

London

Dearest Miss Fairfax,

I find myself to be just as wretched as you are in responding to post. If you were as desolate as I am in waiting for your letters then I must apologize heartily. I wait anxiously every day for a letter for you. When my valet, John, does bring me one, my day is instantly a great one. 

I admire your fortitude in dealing with my young cousins. They are sweet girls when they care to be but their education is shocking. You have done a wonderful job in shaping their minds. I believe last I was in Kent, Lizzy could count to twenty without removing her shoes! Admirable progress indeed.  

If you are desiring to unearth your heritage, I can certainly lend a hand. The first place you should start would be Miss Clearwater. She must have some tidbits that will serve as a starting point. Write to her at once for all she can remember of your arrival on her doorstep. 

It pleases me endlessly that you have so enjoyed the pamphlets. They are nothing compared to sitting in on the lectures. Afterwards, one may mingle and discuss the newest findings and observations with like-minded people. It is a great experience. I promise I will speak not at all else of my scholarly adventures in London. You will simply have to see them for yourself. 

Again, I have enclosed a gift for you. This time it is a copy of "Julie, ou la nouvelle Héloïse". I do not know if you have read it, but it has always been a favourite of mine. 

It is perhaps hotter in London than Kent and the breeze from the Thames does little. In fact, it makes the heat more oppressive with the stench that rises from its waters.

Your Affectionate Friend, 

Dryden

"Your Affectionate Friend," Olivia repeated out loud. Too loud. Charlotte's head whipped in her direction. Lizzy was reclining in the grass, too interested in cloud watching to pay her governess any mind. Charlotte poked her sister in the side and whispered down to her. She perked up, neck twisting towards Miss Fairfax. 

"Is that a letter from Cousin Philip?" Lizzy asked. She rose onto her knees and crawled across the small patch of grass to Olivia's side. "Is it, Miss Fairfax? Oh, do tell me!" 

"I do not believe that is any of your concern," she replied with a discreet cough. Olivia shoved the letter down her bodice. Lizzy's eyes darted to where the letter had disappeared. Then she looked back into Olivia's challenging hazel eyes. One dark brow rose as if to say, "I dare you." She knew just what her charge was considering.  

Lizzy lacked boundaries when she wanted to know a secret. Even she knew fishing in her governess' bodice for a letter was too far. She, instead, rested her head upon Olivia's shoulder. Her attention was on the book in her hands. 

"Miss Fairfax, will you ever leave us?"  

"Where would she go, Lizzy? Don't be silly. Miss Fairfax is stuck with us until we marry and then I shall hire her to be governess to my children!" Charlotte announced with great aplomb. She had clearly given this matter great thought. 

"Oh goodness, I would sooner die," teased Olivia. Though she really would rather die. That was no lie.  

"That isn't fair at all! If I have children first then Miss Fairfax will be hired by me!"  

"Do I have any say in the matter?"  

The girls turned on her with a vehement, "NO!" Before collapsing into squabbles of the absurd variety about stockings and ribbons.  

Olivia feel back onto the grass. She wanted to leave the girls outside and bolt herself inside her room. Not only was it far cooler there, but she had a chance to consider this letter more in detail.  

"Please read us the letter, Miss Fairfax," Charlotte pleaded.  

"It is my private, Charlotte. Would you share all of your personal correspondence with me?"  

"But, of course, Miss Fairfax," she replied. "You are so wise, I would ask for your advice since you know everything."  

"It is true," agreed Lizzy.  

Olivia covered her eyes with her hand. Moments lie these made her feel perfectly content with her life. She really should provide some lesson for the day. It was her duty after all. The moment she mentioned history or arithmetic, they would bolt.  

"How about this," she announced with a lazy drawl. Oh, the sun was really getting to her. "We shall play a game. Do you like riddles?" 

"Absolutely yes," shouted Charlotte. 

"As long as they are not too difficult," Lizzy added. There was little worse that overusing her mind. It made her head hurt. Her head was useful for wearing pretty bonnets not dreadful matters like sums. But, Miss Fairfax made it all seem so easy. She wanted to be just like her. 

"Smashing. I will write you a series of riddles based on some of my favourite people in history. You will have to guess who they are." She sat up and smiled at the girls. "When you guess them all correctly, I will reveal from whom I received this letter." 

Charlotte grinned at Lizzy. This was such a boon. Miss Fairfax was the nicest governess in the entire world. How had they survived without her?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Runaway Princess By Laura

Historical Fiction

2.5M 116K 28
To the unknowing eye, the exotic young woman making her way through the English countryside is just another poor girl, hungry and looking for work. B...
1.2M 67.9K 43
What is a proper young lady to do when she finds a stranger sleeping in her bed? Angelique Grafton doesn't know much about love. Resigned to marry th...
7.7K 334 21
It wasn't easy to be a young female painter in 1839...and having a horrid father, only complicated matters for Adelaide Fairfax. When her parents sen...
854 67 67
Tabitha's mother has had enough of her gothic hermit ways so she sends her away to stay with her youthful cousin who not only changes her looks but s...