Coach's Number One

By LaurenJ22

#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult Unwelcoming teammates. A more-than-friendly swim coach. A swim captain who w... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Harvey & Grace ღღღ
MERRY CHRISTMAS! πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ashton & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Nineteen
Hayden & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Trailer
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
The Choice: Reader Survey
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
BAD LIAR
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue
Shay... I mean slay πŸ™ŒπŸΌ
Darker Than Sin πŸ–€
Coach's Number One: An Interactive Reading Game
Love in the Deep End is LIVE on Chapters Interactive!

Chapter Forty Five

161K 7.7K 2.8K
By LaurenJ22

------------------

Dedication: Jakii_003 for voting for all the chapters of this story! Thank you!

Recap:

"You didn't have to, either," I said to her, thinking back to when she helped me with Hayden.

She gave me a weak smile as I walked to the door. As my hand was on the door knob, I looked over my shoulder at her.

"I still don't like you."

She rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say, Mia."

As I walked out of her room, I was surprised at the genuine smile on my face.

-----------------

"Damn, I was hoping you'd be in a wheelchair."

I give Harvey a deadpan expression. "Gee, thanks."

"It would have been dramatic," he points out with his usual, dorky grin as he opens the passenger door for me.

It feels nice to have the fresh air on my face again. I missed being out in the sun, feeling the warmth on my skin, hearing the wind pass my ears.

After Harvey shuts the door, I rest back into the seat, my eyes closing. I am feeling much better but still tired from everything.

"Are you sure you're going to be all right on your own?" he asks with a frown on his face. "I can reschedule my dentist appointment."

"I'm not going to have a repeat of the sleeping pill situation, trust me," I assure him, sticking my finger in between my skin and bandage, scratching. My left wrist is sprained. I have to wear a bandage for a few days and it's been itchy as hell. "I have a date with Netflix and Nutella. Don't worry about me."

"I really don't have a good feeling about leaving you alone..." he trails off. "You know they haven't found him, right?"

"Yeah, I heard," I reply with a sigh. "He cleared his apartment out."

"That's why I'm worried," he frowns. "That's it, I'm cancelling my appointment."

"Don't. Just come over after. I will be fine on my own."

"What if he comes back, Grace?" he argues, his hands tightening on the steering wheel. "He said he would."

"Harvey, I'll be okay."

He blows out a breath of air as he shakes his head. Silence lapses between us as he continues to drive.

"He didn't come to see you, did he?" Harvey asked quietly.

I had been trying (and failing) not to think about Hayden and the fact that he hadn't come to see me while I was in hospital. I understand why, but I'm dying for a chance to apologise for everything and to thank him for what he did.

"No," I reply softly, looking out the window at the blur of trees and road signs.

Pulling my hand over to his, Harvey gives it a squeeze. I blink back the tears that have been threatening to spill, trying to redirect my thoughts to something else.

As we turn onto my street, Harvey's voice drags me back to reality.

"Grace..." 

I whip my head forward to see Hayden's sleek ute parked out the front of my house with the passenger side window still cracked. My heart thumps loudly as I crane my neck, trying to see him.

Standing there, with dark-washed jeans and a grey shirt, holding a bouquet of red roses, stands Hayden. He greets me with his adorable, dimpled smile as I tumble out of the car.

"Thank you for the ride, Harvey," I say breathlessly.

"Hey, at least you won't be alone," he grins.

"Have fun at the dentist!" I call, before shutting the door, not missing him cringe.

I bolt towards Hayden, my still-slightly-sore muscles protesting. He places the roses on the outdoor table, just in time, before I throw myself into his arms. I wrap my legs around his waist as he stumbles back, his arms tightening around me.

After squeezing him tightly, I pull back and plant a series of kisses over his face. He chuckles warmly, his familiar minty breath washing over me.

"Someone happy to see me?" he smirks.

I beam, looping my arms around his neck. 

"I missed you and I'm so, so sorry for everything. I'm sorry for holding back the truth, I'm sorry for having you locked up-" he interrupts my rambled apology by pressing his lips to mine.

"I didn't want to know and you respected that. I get why you didn't tell me, you knew I would react badly. And I did."

"We both could have handled the situation a little better," I agree, still breathless as I stare down at the handsome boy in front of me.

"Let's just forget about it. I can't stay mad at you because I miss you too much."

"Aw, look at you being cheesy," I smile, running my hands through his messy hair.

"And you know what else?" he continues.

"Hmm?" I ask, hardly paying attention as I am too distracted staring at his bright eyes, tousled hair and perfectly smooth skin.

"I think I'm in love with you, too."

I stop breathing.

"What?"

"You heard me," he grins, readjusting my legs around his waist as he does.

"I wanted to hear you say it again," I smirk.

My cheeks felt warm as I gaze into his eyes. He gently lowers me to my feet, before lightly flicking my nose.

"You make me crazy, Grace Connaway."

Reaching out and tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear, he smiles at me. He leans in close, pressing his lips to my ear.

"Cute bald patch."

My eyes snap open and I glower at him. "Thanks for ruining the moment."

"Couldn't help myself," he laughs with a smile. "Not to ruin the moment again, but I want you to be honest about everything from now on. Don't be scared of how I will react. If you be honest about everything, I'll promise to try and be understanding. Deal?"

"Deal," I agree. "We will have a conversation about him soon, just not today, okay?"

"Okay." He turns from me and picks up the bouquet of roses.

"They are stunning," I say in awe, my eyes latching onto the bright, red petals. "Did you know that these are my favourite?"

"I remember you telling me once," he says with an adorable smile and a casual shrug. "I listen occasionally."

I roll my eyes, hugging the flowers to me.

"I had to borrow money off my grandparents for the flowers and they made me wash their cars for it, so if that's not dedication, I don't know what is."

"Aw, you're so sweet," I smile at him, my cheeks beginning to hurt. "Thank you very much. I love them."

I step inside and my eyes instantly go to the small table where most of the attack happened. Casting my eyes down, I walk into the kitchen, to put my flowers in a vase.

As Hayden and I lay back on my bed, sometime later, I spend the rest of the afternoon filling him in about my time in hospital, including Mia's surprising confession. He also told me about his time in lock up and how Carrie visited.

"Come here," he murmurs softly.

I crawl onto his chest and lay my cheek on his shirt, hearing his soft, consistent heartbeat.

"Thank you for choosing to forgive me," I whisper.

He tightens his arms around me.

"There was never a choice."

***

"So, I heard something today," Hayden says to me as he gently pushes me forward.

We have ventured to the park a little way from my place today, so I could get out of the house. I am sick of being cooped up in bed. I missed the outdoors too much. Even though I felt all right, I still have sore muscles and bad bruising.

"Hmm?" I mumble as I continue to swing.

"Harvey told me it's your birthday next week," he continues.

He gives me one last push, before joining me at my side, plopping down onto the swing beside me.

"It is," I agree as I let my legs swing me back and forth. "I probably won't do anything for it, considering what's happened lately. And I don't really have friends."

He rolls his eyes. "Don't be stupid, of course we're doing something for it."

"Why were you talking to Harvey this morning?" I questions.

"He rang me."

"Why did he do that?" I ask, cocking my head to the side.

Harvey rang Hayden? Now that's something I never thought would happen.

"Never you mind," he replies mysteriously, giving me a coy smile, his left dimple appearing on his cheek.

"What are you two up to?"

He dragged his fingers across his lips. "Can't say, sorry."

I let out a huff of air as I dragged me feet in the soil beneath me. "When's your birthday?"

"I turned 18 in January."

"Oh," I reply, a little sad I missed it. "It feels weird that I didn't even know your birthday."

He shrugs, running a hand through his wind-blown hair. "Just never came up, I suppose."

It has been two days since I arrived home from the hospital. I am going to return to school tomorrow and am dreading every second leading up to it. I've enjoyed my time with Hayden far too much. Having him forgive me and us returning back to normal has lifted my spirits considerably.

My left wrist is still bandaged, due to tearing the ligaments, but it doesn't really hurt unless I put weight on it. My bruising has faded considerably, but it's still noticeable. I am fine mentally and somewhat fine physically, so I felt no reason to skip school any longer. It's not worth trying to catch up in school work, considering I already feel behind.

"It's kind of perfect, that your birthday is the weekend," he says to me with a smile. "We don't have to skip school to celebrate it."

"Why, what are you planning?" I ask him suspiciously.

"Nothing," he grins and I roll my eyes at him. "You're going to be so surprised with what your mum has planned."

"My mum has something planned?" I ask with genuine surprise.

He shrugs, as if he didn't just say she did.

"You're being annoying," I huffs.

"I'm always annoying."

"No argument there."

At first, it was a bit awkward when Hayden was over and mum would be home, considering she had him arrested and all. Well, I felt awkward. They handled it pretty well. Mum apologised to him and apologised to Heather. It is all smoothed over now, thank God.

He kicks a small rock at me and I let out a laugh. Silence falls between us momentarily and I take the time to tilt my head back and gaze up at the clear sky. I let out a sigh, leaning my head against the chain I was holding.

"I wonder where he is," Hayden murmurs.

"Ashton?" I ask, peering over to him.

Hayden and I had the 'talk' about Ashton yesterday. I told him everything. It is all out in the open now and I feel relieved that it is. We've decided to put it in the past and try to move on.

"Mmhmm," he mumbles.

The police have issued a warrant for his arrest but he hasn't been found yet. He must have some idea that they're after him, because he cleared his apartment and no one has seen him since his last day at school, which was also the day he attacked me.

"Who knows," I replies with a sigh. "I hope he's not causing any more trouble."

"Doubtful."

"I'm bummed that the comp got post-poned. The scouts were coming to see you."

"It's a blessing, really. Brennon had benched you anyway. Now if you're feeling okay when it comes around, you'll be able to swim, too."

"Valid point. Any news on who our new swim Coach is?"

"I heard it's a woman and that she's very experienced, but that's about it."

"A woman Coach is exactly what we need."

"Is it my turn to have a fling with the Coach?" he jokes.

"Don't even joke about that," I groan. "In the past, remember?"

"Right. Mia emailed me some school work we've missed out on and there's a shit load of stuff you need to do."

I let out another groan, scrambling to my feet. I stretch slowly, before giving Hayden a sad smile.

"We better go get it done."

"I already did mine at home last night," he says breezily. "I can help you with yours though."

I give him a flat stare. "You're a nerd."

"If you get all your work done, I'll buy you dinner. Pizza?"

Instantly, I perk up. "You know the way to my heart, Mr Cameron."

He laughs, swinging his arm around my shoulder as we walk back to my house.

"I think I do, Miss Connaway."

--------------------

Thoughts on the new information you learnt throughout this chapter? Any ideas where Ashton is? And what do you think about the new Coach being a woman? Do you think things will be different for them when they return to school? Let me know everything you're thinking!

★ ★ ★ Please take a second to vote for this chapter if you enjoyed it! (Just by clicking the star on the bottom left of your screen. Thank you!) I have made a list of people who have been voting for all the chapters - I will try to dedicate a chapter to you! ★ ★ ★

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.4K 2.7K 26
γ€Š WATTY'S SHORTLIST 2021 》━ ❝WELCOME TO HART'S BAY.❞ where opposites attract. featuring Β» Β» Β» an ex-varsity swimmer and a hockey player. a once-wea...
6.3K 239 23
Two girls. At school they're total opposites. The cheer captain and the loaner geek. But at home, life isn't all as it's seems. And one teacher, and...
113 22 17
Isabelle knows who she is. Captain of the cheerleading team and all-around overachiever, she is unconcerned about her cold and cruel reputation. When...
1M 47.2K 36
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Madison Carlisle isn't just popular, she's the one girls want to be and the guys want to be with. But what's a girl to d...