Quiet || hs

By uniqueboys

In which a quiet girl trying to get through her last year of high school by avoiding all conflict in her scho... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
Q&A
69
70
71
72
73
74
75

50

104K 2.4K 4.7K
By uniqueboys

The next morning came so quickly even though I was at the Evans' household late. I made it home before my dad even noticed I was gone. I shuffled down the school hallways to first period. Harry stood at his usual spot by the door, greeting everyone.

"You okay?" he asks as soon as I got to him.

"I'm fine. Why does everyone keep asking me?" I say, annoyed by the constant question. "I-I'm just tired."

"Yeah, I noticed during workouts." he nods, resting his hand on my shoulder. "But are we still on for tonight?"

I shake my head. "I honestly don't know. I just don't feel like dealing with whatever surprise you have planned."

I push past him getting into the classroom. I plop down in my usual seat, silently observing everyone in the class like I've always had. They crack jokes, making my mood light up a bit. Harry starts his lesson which I had barely paid any attention to. I just watch his movements and took in the way his accent escaped past those lips of his.

Eventually, I fall out of my little trans and try starting the work he gave me. I stare down at the different questions with numbers and letters. I look around to see other people working on the first problem easily. Harry asks for someone to do their work on the board and no one volunteers.

"Eversteen," he calls me and my eyes snap to him. He crosses his arms, leaning against his desk. "Come show your work." he smiles.

Everyone have their eyes on me and I shake my head. "I-I think I did it wrong. "I lie, glancing down at my blank paper.

"That's okay," he says, waving for me to come. "We can correct whatever you did wrong. That's how you learn."

I hesitantly stand up, making my way to the front. I grip the marker then rewrite the question. Harry was now sitting in his chair as he watched me.

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know what to do next." I tell him and the class laughs.

He chuckles, standing up from his chair then snakes his hand around my waist to move me to the side. He takes the marker from my hands, keeping his hand on my waist.

"Were you listening at all, Eversteen?" he asks, removing his hand before anyone would question it. "Listen this time because you're doing the next one for me."

Throughout class, he chooses students to go do a problem. I sat in the back and watched everything. Everything was so much more simple when I was this girl. The student who rarely has any attention on her. I'll be like this again except with a class full of people I don't know.

This is what I do for the day. I've been reminiscing the time I had with these people. I meet Monique in the halls before practice and give her a tight hug.

"Why are we hugging?" she laughs, keeping her arms wrapped around me.

"You won't forget about me, will you?"

"Of course not." she says, pulling away to look at me. "Why would you say that?"

"Long distance doesn't only ruin relationships, but friendships too." I tell her, sitting on the bench in the locker room. She sits next to me, rubbing my back about to speak. "Let's hangout tonight. We can have a sleepover and just talk about everything."

"Rylee, don't you have something to do later?"

"Yeah-" I pause and frown. "I-I never told you I did."

"What?" she chuckles nervously. "I'm pretty sure you did. You probably texted me last night about it and forgot you did."

"No, no because I wasn't on my phone all night. I was at Ms. Evans', remember? I don't use my phone at all when I'm over there."

"Oh, well I guess I heard you-"

"Monique, you're keeping something from me." I suggest, standing up. "What is it?"

"I'm not keeping anything."

Someone peeps their head in and coughs. "Hey, coach is waiting for you two." Brit says before heading back out.

I quickly got ready for practice and left without speaking another word. We get through practice avoiding each other. Or it was more like I was ignoring them.

Harry waited for me by his car and he looked like he cleaned up himself. He wasn't wearing his usual basketball shorts. He had on some faded black skinnies and a grey shirt with a coat over it.

"Ready?" he smiles at me as I got closer. I just nod, getting into the car. "Okay, it was clear this morning that you were annoyed by this, but are you really fine?"

I sigh, closing my eyes. "I'm sorry, I've just been really stressed lately."

He reaches over and intertwines our hands. Then he lets go, patting his coat. "Oh no," he says, starting the car. "We have to stop by the motel real quick. I forgot something."

Harry drives all the way to the motel without speaking. He quickly jumps out, rushing into his room. Then he comes back, stuffing something in his pocket.

"Hey, I need to use the bathroom." I tell him, getting out of the car.

"You can go when we get there." he says, trying to get me back in the car.

"Please, I really need to go." I beg and he gives in, letting me in.

I rush in, waiting for the door to close behind me. I make sure everything was clear before digging in his drawer where I found the box hidden. I push everything around and pat it down to find nothing. My heart races faster and I panic. I take a deep breath before exiting the room. Harry was waiting in his car, talking on his phone. He immediately hangs up when I open the door.

"Okay, can you put this on for me?" he says, handing me a blindfold. "Don't question it, just do it for me please."

It's gone this far, so I don't question it. I put it over my eyes and he starts driving. The drive was short and I can hear him shifting the gears. Things become silent when he gets out of the car. I had and urge to just take off the blindfold, but my door opens and I jump a little. Harry reaches over, unbuckling my belt then helps me out. I grip tightly onto his arm, so I wouldn't fall when he was leading me to wherever.

After a bit of time in the elevator, we come to a stop and I feel another pair of hands on me. I gasp, jumping away and they shush me.

"It's okay, Rylee, it's okay."

I frown at the familiar voice. "Monique?"

No one speaks then I was being led into somewhere. I reach out and my blindfold was pulled down. My eyes adjust to the light and I was standing in front of a crowd of people.

"Surprise!" everyone shouts.

"Wh-what's going on?" I question, looking around the apartment.

My dad steps forward with a smile. "I really thought about it and it took a lot of convincing from Monique and your brother, but I think everybody should finish their senior year with their friends and make their last memories together. It would've make no sense if I drag you to California for one semester then you're off to college. I'd also feel horrible from taking you away from this."

"So-"

"You're living with me for the time being, baby sister." Alec steps up, putting his arm over my shoulders. "You're welcome."

"Wait, really?" I say, getting excited. I run up to my dad and hug him tight. "Thank you, thank you!"

"There are a few conditions though." my dad starts, pulling away. "Phone calls, one in the morning and one at night, you must do your homework before going out for anything, you have to help pay a part of the rent, no more than two friends over which means no parties, no boys overnight-"

"Definitely going to make sure of that." Alec jumps in and I glance back at Harry. "Don't worry dad, I promise I'll keep her safe."

"Alec, I'm really trusting you to keep my little girl safe. I hope you really pulled your act together."

"Dad, trust me." Alec becomes serious. "She'll be fine."

The room becomes silent and leave it to Monique to always break the awkward part of everything.

"Shall we go see your room?" Monique suggests, pulling me to one side of the small apartment.

We enter a small hallway area and we push past one of the doors, entering a bedroom. It was actually spacious with my bed pushed against one wall and my desk and drawer on the other side. I immediately go to my closet, sliding my door to reveal it was very organized.

"Your dad worked hard on your room." Monique says with a wide smile. "He also painted it the same like the one at your house because he wanted you to feel like it was still home."

"It's great." I say, biting my lip to stop the joy tears. "But Monique." I turn to her. She was looking out the big window the led out to a small balcony. "You were hiding something and you lied about it."

"Oh, I'm sorry." she apologizes.

I giggle, pulling her into a hug. "No, this is great. Thank you so much for fighting for me."

We talk for a little bit then went out to greet the other guests. Most of the team was here, even coach Payne. Everything changed when a knock appeared at the door and Zayn stood there with a smile.

"Am I late?" he asks, handing me a gift. He goes up to my dad and shakes his hand. "Hey Benji, thanks for inviting me."

"Dad, you invited him?" I question when Zayn walks away.

"Well, I thought you two were friends again. He's been dropping you off at home a lot recently."

"He has?" Harry speaks from the kitchen.

"Yeah, the past few weeks." dad nods, looking at me. "I thought it would be nice to have all your friends here."

I sigh. "Yeah, thanks."

My dad just smiles, patting my shoulder before walking over to Zayn who was talking to coach Payne. I quickly go over to Harry and stop him from leaving.

"It's not what it seems." I tell him.

"It seems like you've been lying to me about what you've been doing every day after practice for these past few weeks."

"Okay, it is what it seems." I say softly. "But it's not what you think."

"What do you think I'm thinking, Rylee?" he asks and I turn to see everyone in the living area. They weren't that far from where we were so I couldn't say anything. "Just- I'll just wait for you to answer that later." he says, disappearing into my room.

I don't follow him. I just slip out onto the balcony and look out at the stars in the dark sky. I turn around, leaning against the rail. I watch the small group of people enjoying their time. The girls were all over my brother and my dad. Zayn and Liam were sitting by the counter that split the living room and kitchen, sipping on beers. Zayn looks up, making eye contact with me. He leaves Liam to get over to me. I roll my eyes, turning back.

The cold breeze blows my hair to one side. I felt Zayn's warmth behind me when he steps closer. He leans against the railing, staring at me. I glance down at the beer dangling from his fingers. He shifts up, putting a cigarette between his lips. I quickly grab it before he lit it, throwing it down from the balcony. He chuckles, looking at me in amusement.

"What happen to being sober?"

"It's one drink." he defends.

"Which will lead to another and another." I argue. "I don't want to deal with a drunk Zayn tonight."

"Okay sorry, I'll put it down." he says about to set it down on a table behind him. I grip his jacket, pulling him back and taking the bottle. "What?"

I drink down whatever was left in the bottle. Zayn keeps his eyes on me like he was watching his favorite movie.

"Zayn, why did you come here?" I ask, stepping closer to set the empty bottle on the table behind him.

His hand snakes onto my waist and he keeps me close to him. "You seemed lonely out here."

"No, I mean here." I emphasize.

"Your dad invited me." he simply says and I give him a long stare. "Okay, I wanted to see you."

"Zayn," I groan out, rubbing my eyes and leaning against the railing again. "I told you-"

"Look, I know you're with Harry and you keep denying it to protect him, but I know." he says and my head shoots up so I can look at him. "And I also know that it won't last. He's your teacher, Rylee. Do you really see a future with him at all?"

"I-I love him."

"You love him?" he laughs. "How long have you known the man? Do you even know anything about him? Does he know anything about you? Rylee, it's a little fling which is wrong and you know it. What we had was real."

This is wrong of me to say, but Zayn's right. It's only been a few months and I'm just attracted to his charm. I avoid eye contact with Zayn and tried leaving the balcony. He grabs my arm and stares into my eyes.

"I still love you and you may not realize it now, but we're meant to be together."

I pull away and rush into the house. Everyone quickly gathers around me and Monique pulls me over to the kitchen. A cake sat on the counter and it read 'Welcome Home.' I chuckle at the little quote and my dad starts cutting pieces. Harry wasn't out here with everyone else. As my eyes scanned the small group, they land on Zayn. He smiles and sends a wink. This is not good at all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

296K 4K 30
Mia McIntosh was just a student at secondary school with perfect grades... especially in Maths, but only since the most gorgeous man took over as her...
703 8 9
Harry is a hungry vampire who has been abstaining from drinking human blood. Until he meets a pretty girl who is all alone and just smells delicious...
4.8K 187 26