Friendship on Fire (A Harry P...

By HeartEye121

Disclaimer: I do NOT own any of these characters except my original characters. Everyone else belongs to J.K... More

Going Back to Hogwarts
The Announcement
The Arrival
Talking with Max
Happy Birthday
My Deal with Darren
The Daily Prophet
The Hogsmeade Trip
Werewolves
The First Task
Possible Dates
Dresses and Dates
Dance Lessons
The Yule Ball
Telling Paige
The Forbidden Forest
Kappas
The Second Task
A Moment Alone
A Day of Tears
The Last Task

The Triwizard Champions

1.4K 44 12
By HeartEye121

The Triwizard Champions

I was sitting in the Great Hall with everyone else; watching McGonagall get the names of the Triwizard Champions out of the Goblet of Fire. She had already called out the ones from the other schools and all that was left was the Hogwarts Champion. My heart ached and my head was repeating “Not Max” over and over again. I just watched McGonagall and the paper flew out of the Goblet. She looked at whose name was written on it and looked over at our table.

“Max Reynolds.” She said and our table started cheering while I fell into shock.

No. It couldn’t be Max. I looked over at him and he looked at me. He smiled to try to relax me and he stood up. Our fellow Gryffindors congratulated him and shook his hand. No one noticed the tears that were now rolling down my cheeks. No one saw the fear in my eyes. They just continued congratulating Max.

I took a deep breath as I woke up and was relieved that it was just a dream. But there was still a taste of reality in it and I couldn’t shake it away. I started praying then that Max wouldn’t get called and just lied on my bed for a half hour before getting up when I heard Melinda get up. I faked a smiled to not let her see that I was worried and we went about our morning routine. After we both were done, we went down to the Great Hall and joined everyone for breakfast. And I mean everyone. The other schools were there as well and I sat between Darren and Max at our table. The Hall was filled with talking and some kids were putting their names into the Goblet.

“Good morning, Paige.” Darren said happily and I smiled at him.

“Good morning.” I said back.

“Paige, what’s wrong?” Max asked and I looked over at him. Bloody hell I knew he could read me like a book but I thought we’d be halfway through breakfast before he asked that question.

“Nothing’s wrong.” I lied but knew he’d see through it. “Just had a bad dream, that’s all.” I smiled to make it look like I was fine.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“No. It’s nothing to be concerned about. Bad dreams happen to everyone.”

“That they do.” Darren said and I looked back over at him. “I once had a dream where I was trapped in a cage with a bear without my wand. It ate me alive and I watched the whole thing. I’ve been afraid of them ever since.”

“That’s an odd thing to dream about.” I said. “But I know what you mean.” I really did. Dreaming of something and being afraid it could happen. Story of my life right now. “Anyways, what do you have planned today?” I really wanted to be my mind off tonight and didn’t want to be around Max because I knew he’d get me to tell him about my dream so I was hoping Darren didn’t have anything planned.

“Nothing. I was gonna look around Hogwarts. See what’s what.”

I grinned. “Well, why don’t I show you around? Give you the grand tour.”

He smiled. “Sounds good.”

After breakfast and dodging questions from Max, Darren and I parted from everyone and we started walking around Hogwarts. I was pointing things out here and there but then we just walked in silence. My mind started thinking about the dream and I felt the tears in my eyes. We were walking through the Transfiguration Courtyard and there were others walking around.

“Alright, what did you dream about?” Darren asked and I looked at him with shock.

“What?” I asked him.

“It must be something if it’s bothering you right now. I have the ability to read people.” He smiled. “So what is it?”

I sighed. “Fine. I’ll tell you. But only because I don’t want anyone else to know and I have a feeling you won’t tell them. Am I right on this feeling?”

He nodded. “Yes you are.”

I nodded and said, “It was about tonight when Professor McGonagall pulls out the names of the Champions. I don’t know who the others were but it came down to the Hogwarts Champion and Max’s name got called.” Tears filled my eyes again. “I don’t want him to be a part of this.”

“Why didn’t you just tell him that?”

“Because I don’t want him to know I’m worried. I told him I’d stop worrying but I can’t. And now with the dream, it feels like that’s what’s gonna happen tonight. His name is gonna get called.”

“You don’t know that for sure. It could be anybody.”

I shook my head and felt the tears roll down my cheek. “I study Divination. I practically live it. This dream was real and it’s what’s gonna happen tonight. I can feel it.”

“You should tell him, then. I’m sure there’s a way he could drop out.”

I shook my head again. “He probably already knows what I dreamt about and even if there was a way, he wouldn’t. He wants an adventure in his life.”

“And you’re scared he’ll die for it.”

I nodded. “He’s my best friend. I just want him safe.”

“Well, why don’t you go talk to him? He seemed concerned about you this morning and he probably wants to talk to you.”

I sighed. “Ok. Let’s go back to the Great Hall and see if he’s there.”

The two of us walked back to the Great Hall and found the room had changed since breakfast. The tables were out of the way and the benches were lined against the wall and stacked around the Goblet of Fire. A mixture of Hogwarts, Salem Witch, Durmstrang, and Beaubaxton students were gathered in the Hall and Darren left my side to go join some of his friends. I looked around for Max and I finally found him talking with Prudence, Teddy, and Victoire. I walked over to them and looked into Max’s eyes.

“I’m sorry about this morning.” I told him and he took my arm.

He pulled me away from everyone and looked down into my eyes. “What did you dream about?”

“It was about tonight. You…”

I was cut off by cheering and I looked to see my brother coming into the room followed by some other Gryffindors. He was holding a potion vial and had a huge grin on his face. Great. He was gonna try to enter his name. I walked away from Max despite him protesting and walked to Fred; who was standing by the Goblet.

“Fred, it’s not gonna work.” I told him.

“Sure it will, sis. Dad helped me out a bit.” He grinned and shook the vial while I rolled my eyes.

“Like that makes a difference. It didn’t work for him and Uncle Fred and it’s not gonna work for you.”

“Stop sounding like Aunt Hermione and just believe in me, alright?” He said and opened the vial.

Everyone was gathered around to watch and people were already laughing. I crossed my arms as Melinda stood by me and we watched as Fred downed the potion. He instantly grew a foot taller and looked a little older than he was before he took the potion. He smiled with success and pulled out a piece of parchement with his name on it. He hopped across the age line and the crowd cheered for him. I rolled my eyes once again and watched as he put his name into the Goblet. He cheered that nothing happened then suddenly the flames shot out and hit Fred. He went flying across the room and I gasped as he hit the floor. Melinda, Teddy, Max, Victoire, Minnie, Dominique, Louis, Alex, Toby, and I ran over to him to see if he was ok. He sat up and his hair had turned white and he now sprouted a white beard. 

Laughing now filled the Great Hall and I shook my head. I went over to him and said, “I told you the potion wouldn’t work.”

“Still. Dad’s gonna be so proud.” He grinned.

“You should go to the hospital wing.” Melinda said. “Madam Pomfrey can make you look normal.”

“Thanks.” He said as he stood up. 

“Just come on.” She grabbed his arm and pulled him away.

I shook my head as I looked at Max and said, “I told him it wouldn’t work.”

“Well, you didn’t expect him to listen, did you?” He asked as everyone else went back to what they were doing.

“No. He wouldn’t be Fred if he did listen.”

“Very true. Now, what were you gonna say about that dream of yours?”

My eyes widened and I was surprised I had even forgotten about the dream for a minute. “Oh, right. Your name got called.”

He nodded. “That’s why you didn’t want to tell me. You’re worried.”

I nodded. “You knew I was still gonna be.”

“And I knew that’s what the dream had to have been about.” He hugged me tight. “Don’t worry about it though. I know my name won’t be called.”

“And I know it will be.” I mumbled into his shoulder.

That night, we were all gathered in the Great Hall for the Halloween feast and I was more worried than ever. Any moment now, McGonagall would stand up and announce the Triwizard Champions. Any minute now, I’d know if Max’s life would be at risk. I wasn’t eating my food and I was just playing with the fork. Max touched my hand and I looked up at him.

“Eat.” He said.

“I can’t. I’m too nervous.” I told him.

“You should still eat. Don’t be this worried about me.”

“I have to be. You’re not worried enough.”

Silence filled the room and I looked up to see McGonagall was standing by the Goblet. My heart dropped and I knew this was it. I grabbed Max’s hand and squeezed it tight as McGonagall started to speak. “The Goblet is almost ready to make its decision.” She said. “When the Champions’ names are called, they are to come to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go into the next chamber where they will be receiving their first instructions.” She pointed to the door off the staff table. She waved her wand then and the only light in the room was from the Goblet. The plates were cleared and everyone was waiting impatiently for the flames to turn red.

They did seconds later and sparks were flying from it. A piece of parchment flew out of it and fluttered downwards. Everyone was watching with intent and I just prayed the name wasn’t gonna be Max’s. McGonagall caught the parchment as the flames went back to blue and she read off the name. “The Durmstrang Champion is Brad Carson.” There was applause and cheers as a dark haired, tall boy stood up from the Slytherin table and walked along the staff table before going through the door to the next chamber.

The cheering and applause stopped and everyone was looking back at the Goblet. It turned red again and another piece of parchment came flying out of it. I squeezed Max’s hand once again and he rubbed my hand to try to calm me down but we both knew nothing would work at this point. McGonagall caught the paper and read the second name. “The Beaubaxtons Champion is Valentina Martin.” Applause and cheers rose up again as a dark haired Veela stood up from the Ravenclaw table and followed the same path as the Durmstrang Champion.

Once she was gone and the room fell silent again, the flames went red again. I prayed this one would be the Hogwarts Champion. I couldn’t handle waiting anymore. The piece of parchment flew out of the flames and McGonagall caught it. My head was feeling light and I noticed I wasn’t breathing. I took in several deep breaths and then she said, “The Salem Witch champion is Darren Meyer.” Cheers from our table shot out and applause was coming from the other tables. I looked up at Darren as he stood up by me and he winked at me before he followed the others path. Next was Hogwarts.

I stopped breathing yet again as the room fell silent. My eyes were locked onto McGonagall as the flames turned red and the last piece of parchment flew out of the Goblet. She caught it and it seemed like hours before she read off the name. “The Hogwarts Champion is Max Reynolds.” More cheers and applause erupted from our table and I felt my body go limp. I felt Max’s hand leave mine and everyone at our table was stand to congratulate Max. This wasn’t happening. It couldn’t be. This still had to be my dream. But it was reality. I knew that because I was feeling weak. I wasn’t breathing. I wasn’t looking around. My eyes were just staring off and I wasn’t crying. I wasn’t doing anything. I just sat there and listened to the cheering until everything around me turned black.

My eyes opened and I found I wasn’t in the Great Hall anymore. I was in the hospital wing. Fred and Max were standing over me and Max smiled. “Hello, hello.” He said. “How do you feel?”

“Tired.” I choked out. My mind was still foggy and my eyes were heavy. “What happened?”

“You fainted.” Fred said. “Right after Max got called as the Champion you just passed out.”

“It’s been five hours.” Max said. “The others were here but they went to bed.”

“You got called? My dream came true?” I asked and tears filled my eyes.

“Paige, don’t cry. I’m gonna be fine. I swear.”

“But the tasks…”

“Don’t worry about that now. Just rest.”

“Listen to the boy, Miss Weasley.” Madam Pomfrey said as she walked over to us. “You should rest. You don’t have a concussion or anything. Let the boys escort you back to the common room and go straight to bed.”

“Yes, Madam Pomfrey.” I said and sat up.

Max helped me up and held onto me as the three of us walked to the Gryffindor common room. It was silent between us since I didn’t know what to say and once we got to the common room, Fred went to bed. Max looked down into my eyes and said, “I promise you I’m gonna be fine.”

“You know that promise isn’t gonna stand during the tasks. They’re designed to kill.”

“They’re designed for us to survive. I will survive.”

“And I’ll worry until this stupid thing is over with.” I walked up the stairs and went into my dorm.

The girls were all asleep when I went in and I was quiet as I changed into my pajamas. I then stared out the window and knew I wasn’t gonna be able to sleep very much that night. So, I got out a piece of parchment and started writing a letter to Jason.

Dear Jason,

Why did his name have to be picked? Why couldn’t it have been Teddy or someone from Slytherin or Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw? Why did it have to be Max? I fainted after his name got called and woke up in the hospital wing. I was in so much shock I wasn’t breathing. I was told to rest but I can’t sleep. I can’t until I know he’s gonna be safe. He has to be safe. He can’t die during this. Why do I have to love him? This would be so much easier if I didn’t love him. I wish you were here. I need to talk to you right now and this letter isn’t enough. This is the worst day of my life.

Paige

I called Hermes and gave him the letter after I put it into the envelope. He flew off and I shut the window then lied down on my bed. I closed the curtains and put up a silencing charm around my bed so no one could hear me cry. And that’s all I did until I fell asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hope you like the chapter! I think I did pretty well for being half asleep while writing this. I just really wanted to get it done for you guys! Please comment and vote! Photo is HaleyBop96's second entry

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

139K 3.2K 58
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
4.5K 258 24
#10 in Les Miserables tagged stories August 2022!!! #6 in French Revolution tagged stories January 2023!!!! From one of the most beloved stories eve...
303K 18.2K 40
You live in a different time zone Think I know what this is It's just the time's wrong
273K 19.4K 146
Tác phẩm: Toàn thế giới đều đang đợi người động tâm. Tác giả: Tố Tây Người gõ: Mia của bạn nè Beta: Hoa Hoa của bạn đây Ý là truyện này gõ nhanh quá...