Paper Folds | On Hold

נכתב על ידי orlenaseemsbratty

*Featured on @dangerouslove profile!* She wants him. Bad. Too bad she's still irrevocably in love with her bo... עוד

Paper Folds
Cast
A/N - Disclaimer
The Present That Kills
Unforeseen
Unconscious
Unapologetic
The Future That Bites - Hard
Grey
Denim
Arctic
Azure
Fog
Gem
Cloud
Slate
Cerulean
Chalk
Lemon

Marigold

87 6 0
נכתב על ידי orlenaseemsbratty

12 - Marigold

Two days later, the place was looking cleaner than it had ever been. Future prospects of money - in this case donations - were probably the reason. The orphanage had never been a grimy place, but it had lost its colour, and now after thorough scrubbing of every corner, it gave off a new shine. Air fresheners had done their job, a sickly sweet smell following Ray around everywhere.

Holly was practically skipping on her feet; the excitement on her face was far too much to even remotely comfort Ray. In fact, the only reason Ray was frequenting the place was because she'd taken a liking to Mauve and her scratchy voice. It was getting disturbingly endearing. Only three days of origami, and she even liked the screaming kids now. 

Personally, though she liked children, screaming was always an aspect that didn't really appeal to her. But now, it felt like a balm. There was no mask in place, no cutting remarks. Children were after all innocent creatures. They screamed happily, and laughed loudly. It was a welcome background music to her ears; the world outside had lately become very painful. 

Things felt very fake.

Some of the kids had even warmed up to her. Lilith always came up to her to shower her with compliments, though she had realised that Lilith had an ulterior motive - to be complimented as well by the newest teacher. And Ray didn't really mind.

She had started spending so much time in Mary's, that it was probably the reason that she already felt at home. Mauve had started talking a little too.

"Is that a green scarf?"

Ray looked up from the instructions she'd been reading on her phone on "how to make a turtle" , and instinctively pulled on the scarf around her neck.

"This one?"

Mauve tilted her head in question.

"Uh, okay. Well, yeah, you could say that."

"The colour is absolutely fascinating. It's almost a green, but I can see a tinge of blue. It's confusing too."

Ray laughed, and pulled out her scarf from around her neck, and handed it to her colleague.

"If you like it so much, you should keep it. I have another."

"Really?"

Mauve gazed at her with wonder. Ray laughed again, and curled her fingers around the hand holding the scarf.

"Yes, really."

"But, why do you have another of the same thing?"

Ray put her cheek on her palm, pressed her elbow on her thigh, crossed her legs, and leaned forward with a smile.

"Because, it's my sister's. What's hers is mine!"

Mauve looked like she'd said something scandalous, but then she burst into laughter, and though Ray felt only sorrow after her statement when realisation finally hit her, she laughed along.

"You're cheeky!"

Mauve was gasping, and Ray felt like doting on her like her own sister. 

"Right you are, Mauve. Now, let me finish reading this. I've got to experiment today. Got a couple lined up. The second being this turtle."

Mauve picked up her water bottle from the table and drank some water, sobering up instantly. Turning her face to look at the phone in Ray's hand, she nodded, then looked up. 

"I'd like to see it when you're done."

 ****

Ray had just popped in her earphones to listen to some music, when Holly Warren came barging into the room. The kids, who had been asked to play a game of "silence wins" - an invention of her own to keep the kids quiet - happily forwent the game and started chattering again, inspired by the talkative intrusion into their room.

"Oh, Ray, how wonderful to see you!"

Sighing, Ray started twisting the cord of her earphones to keep them back inside her bag.

"Morning."

But Holly was way too excited to notice the tired uninterested reply Ray had just given her.

"It wasn't what I would have suggested, but you seem good enough to express our cause. Now, let the kids be under Mauve's care, and you come with me."

"Uh, what?"

Holly only humphed and came forward herself,  pulling Ray up on her feet.

"Come along now."

A little confused, Ray followed her out of the class and down the stairs, running down to keep up.

"Is something wrong, Ms. Warren?"

Holly waited for Ray to climb down the remaining couple stairs to reach her, and then started walking again, talking excitedly.

"On the contrary, everything's perfect. Now, remember to express our cause. Keep the man happy. Oh, do be eloquent."

"What?"

"The happier you leave Mr. Knight, the stronger will be his belief to support our cause."

"Mr. Knight? Who...?"

Holly turned around and looked at her with shock.

"Mr. Knight, silly! Theodore Knight Junior. The man of our dreams, finally having descended off his throne to give us a little money."

Ray looked back at Holly with a frown.

"Ascent Industries! He was here two days back! What's wrong with you? Now I'm second guessing sending you. If he hadn't asked for you, I would have sent someone much more capable. Probably your sister. You've only been back for a couple of days, do you even remember much about us?"

Ray rubbed her face feeling frustrated. Of course she remembered things about this place. She'd left here only more than a year back. And of course, her sister would be a better candidate. She'd admit it honestly, Scarlett had been much more involved even back when she herself was a regular volunteer. 

"Um, why did he ask for me?"

"Well, previously I was supposed to meet him and talk things through once he got in touch, which he did today, but I cannot go today. I definitely cannot ask a man like him to change the date or anything blasphemous like that, so I asked him if he'd mind if instead of me one of our volunteers were to meet him. He agreed, but he also said that he would ask for someone specific. I agreed. Mr. Knight says you're the only one he remembers, so he'd like you to represent us. Was pretty descriptive, you were probably the only one with a lasting impression. Don't ruin it. Now, I wasn't about to say no to him, though you've only been back for a couple-"

"For a couple of days, yes."

 Holly nodded. 

"Yes. Once I understood you were the one he was talking about, I rushed up to get you, and here we are. Let's go to my office, I'd like to see how much you remember, and fill you in on some more."     

"But when are we meeting him?"

"You. You will be meeting him for dinner. Tonight. Now come on, here's my office."

****

Ray was panicking. Why did she feel like she was going for an exam? She had even noted down a few details on their orphanage, just in case she'd need them. 

She'd chosen a safe colour. Brown. Her dress had the colour of rich coffee, and it made her look strong, smart. That was what she was going for. She definitely wasn't trying to intimidate a man she could never intimidate, but she was trying to look the part of a woman who had her head straight.

With her purse and shoes in hand, she  closed the door to her room.

The new key chain to the set of keys for their apartment was something April had given her as a parting gift before an awkward painful goodbye, just two days back, and already she could breathe a little easier than she had been for the last few months with her mother's departure. Oddly, she was nervous enough. Her mother's presence would have twisted her nerves far worse.

The said key ring with the keys in hand, she wore her shoes and walked out of the apartment. She checked the known address again. All she had to do was drive to the restaurant in record time and rest her case with a good impression. To the man whom she didn't really remember.

Except that stare.

****

In twenty minutes she'd reached her destination, her car parked and nerves a little jumpy. Quickly escorted by a waiter when she'd given Mr. Knight's name, she was taken up a flight of stairs and shown a table at the far end of the room, near an alcove. Where the waiting she had anticipated to face was pretty much proven wrong by the presence of the man himself.

He rose and put his hand forward, clasping her hand before she'd even fully given her hand.

"Ms. Cole?"

Damn.

She shook his hand and sat down with a quick nod, before she even realized that he had come forward to push her chair in.

She wasn't feeling good. Her nerves were not in a good state. She felt a little sick. She knew she wasn't nervous because of the man sitting on the opposite end. She was a grown woman, and this wasn't the first time talking to someone from a different league.

It was because the last of their orphanage's deal were in her hands. The orphanage she hadn't yet gotten fully involved back into. She wasn't liking the idea at all. Her head hurt. And well, he really was from a way different league.

She swore softly.

"Excuse me?"

She realized yet again, that she hadn't really said anything yet, and the only thing she'd voiced was a...

She swore again.

"Is something the matter, Ms. Cole?"

Now he sounded a little amused. His indignation was gone. She quickly collected herself and looked up.

"I'm sorry. My mind was elsewhere."

"That is quite alright. What is your name, if you wouldn't mind? Ms. Warren was awfully vague about you."

She smiled a little, shaking her head.

"Ray. Should we get down to business?"

Her companion for the night leaned back a little and cleared his throat.

"Let us get something to drink first. If that's not a problem? We can talk about business after we've wet our throats."

He was staring at her a little too intensely. The drink might be a good idea after all. Intimidated. She was feeling intimidated, and she was quickly rechecking her feminist rulebook in her head.

"Of course."

With a wave of his hand, their waiter materialized beside their table.

"Ms. Cole, what would you like?"

He was asking her what she'd like. Quickly picking up the menu, she settled on pinot grigio.

He asked for a bottle of pinot grigio and waved the waiter away. He then leaned back on his chair again.

"What do you do in the orphanage? I remember seeing you in a room full of lovely origami and kids working along, so do you do that alone, or do you do something else there?"

Ray had just been wondering if she could wave people back and forth too. She opened her mouth to speak, but a hand placed glasses in front of her and her companion, and a bottle was placed on their table. With their drink served, the waiter was gone as fast as he'd come, and Ray quickly took a sip.

"Ms. Cole?"

"Yes. Um, no. That's all I'm doing now. I used to do more productive things a year back though."

"Like what?"

He leaned forward, eyes fixed on her, and quite suddenly she was feeling a little flustered. A little.

"Er, like food collection and distribution, cleaning etc. Did  toiletries for a while, and though Scar says getting clothes isn't boring too, I never really tried that department."

"Toiletries?"

"Oh, I mean, we promote good sanitation and healthy living, so we have a contract with the Johnson's company, and I handled that part for a while."

"I see. Who is "Scar"? A person you mentioned?"

She was so done for. She didn't talk about her family with anyone she didn't really know. Why had that slipped out? She felt very uneasy.

"Well, she's my sister."

"I see. On another note, would you like to order now?"

She nodded her head.

"Yes, please."

And with  another wave of his hand, they were done with their orders. He leaned in again.

"Tell me, why do you work for the orphanage you do, instead of any other place? Why Mary's?"

Ray looked at him with a frown. He almost sounded like he was interviewing her for a position in his company.

"Why I volunteer there of all places?"

"Yes."

Ray laughed a little awkwardly, and cleared her throat.

"Honestly, that's the first place I got, when I was searching for a place worth volunteering for. Contacted them and found it to be good. I wasn't searching for a place to donate to, like you, so I wouldn't know if there are even bigger and better places to donate to, than ours. But it's a good place and we all work for the kids with honest hearts. That's all I can tell you. The kids cooperate with their lovely innocence, and we're good to go."

Theodore Knight Jr. had a smirk on his face. Ray felt a little more sick.

The food arrived. Before picking up his fork, he clinked his glass with hers - which sat on the table in front of her food - and smiled at her.

"You're honest, I'll give you that."

Ray felt flustered. Very flustered. She drank from her glass till it was empty and then she heard him put his fork down. She saw his arm moving forward and watched him pour her another glass.

She looked down at the pasta on her plate, smothered in Arrabiata flavours, and breathed in the smell.

Her mouth felt dry.

She quietly picked up her cutlery and tried to focus on eating. With a few bites, she felt her appetite returning. Thankfully, the man on the other end was a silent eater. She finished almost three fourth of her food, and then felt her stomach protest. She put her fork down.

"Done?"

The voice was making her teeth chatter. Her face felt warm, and her dress felt tight.

"Yes, almost. I'll just try to finish this."

She looked at his plate. He was done. And he was staring at her. There was no other word for it. He was staring right at her. Her eyes, down her face, neck, and up at her eyes again. She straightened a little, shifting on her seat.

She tried eating again. Two bites later, she gave up.

"I think I'm done."

Her voice sounded a little strained. She could hear herself sounding strange. She finished her glass again. The bottle was done. She didn't know how many glasses she had drank.

"Do you want anything else?"

"No."

Another wave of hand. The plates were taken. His hand extended and picked up the bill. Her hand briefly shifted toward her bag, then stopped. She watched him pay the bill.

She felt a little sick. More sick than she was before.

She felt sick.

"Ms. Cole?"

She picked up her purse and rose.

"After you."

She walked up to the stairs and then stumbled.

"Are you alright?"

A hand touched her, held her arm. She steadied herself.

"Yes."

"Would you like me to drop you home?"

She held the railing with a firm grip while climbing down quietly. She didn't know why she was feeling so sick. Or why her heart was beating so fast.

"No, I have my car. I'll be fine."

They were outside now. He stood beside her after a moment.

"Are you sure you're alright, Ms. Cole?"

She looked at him, fully, letting her eyes trace his silhouette, his features for a moment. She looked away.

"Thank you for your time. And dinner. I'll be fine."

She felt him shift closer.

"It was my pleasure."

She didn't have anything to say. She walked away. The night was over. So was the sick feeling crawling up her throat. She didn't look back.

~*~

Hey guys.

So how was this one?

With our protagonist eating pasta, I crave some myself.

See ya.

-Orlena

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

1.5M 35.2K 50
"I...I...was just....."I stuttered and he grabbed my jaws with his thumb and index finger,squeezing my cheeks. "Look at me when I'm talking to you."H...
408 2 6
Death has been following me since the day I was born. You are losing loved ones. You're losing friends. It's scary when you start to lose yourself. L...
255K 14.7K 29
NOTE Before you read this story let me give you "SOME WARNINGS ‼️" If you can't put your mind into other people's perspectives please do not read thi...
54K 2.1K 35
The exact words he threw at my face still haunts my dreams every single night and I think I'm starting to believe him. "Wish I've never met you I...