Trust Me | Daryl Dixon

By longnightswriting

When Liz is saved by a group of strangers, she has no idea what kind of crazy impact they'll have on her life... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Part 74
Part 75
Part 76
Part 77
Part 78
Part 79
Part 80
Part 81
Part 82
Part 83

Part 56

10.6K 247 36
By longnightswriting

"Rick said you and Daryl are going on another run today," Rosita began as we both stood in the armory, rifling through boxes of bullets, "You feeling good enough around a herd of them now?"

I nodded, sliding the now full clip into my gun, "After what happened, I don't think there's anything left out there that could surprise me."

She chuckled, "You'd be surprised-"

"Ya ready?" Daryl asked as he walked through the door, unintentionally cutting off Rosita.

"Yeah, I think so." I nodded, sliding the handgun into the back of my waistband before giving Rosita a slight odd and following Daryl out.

***

I watched as the gate was being pulled open in front of us before Rick came over to Daryl's window, leaning in slightly, "Aaron said that if you head East, about 20 miles, you'll hit a road called Atlas that hasn't been checked out yet." He informed, "There's a few rundown buildings but they look intact; that's probably your best bet for now."

Daryl nodded, "Yeah, we'll check it out."

Rick nodded back before glancing over at me, "You sure you're ready for this?"

I smiled at his concern, "I'm ready."

"She is," Daryl added, "I know she is."

"I trust you-- both of you." Rick nodded before standing back up, "Just keep your eyes open; we don't know who's left out there."

And with that, he banged on the side of the car twice, signaling for us to head out.

***

As we drove down the road, a slight breeze flowing in from the cracked open windows and Daryl's hand intertwined with mine, my mind felt at ease.
I always thought that feeling comfortable in a world like this was so rare, but the more time I spent with these people who have now become my family, I've realized that it's still possible. It's still possible to be happy and safe and it's still possible to live. I'm the happiest I've been in years and I know it can only go up from here.

"Ya said ya drove 'round the country with ya friend, right?" Daryl asked, distracting me from my thoughts.

"Yeah," I smiled, memories flooding back, "Just for a little, though."

"And ya never tried drivin'?" He asked.

I shook my head, "Never seemed to be the right time," I shrugged, "We were always on the move; excited to get to the next place-- wherever that place was gonna be."

Daryl nodded slowly before glancing over to me, "What happened to ya friend?"

"I don't know," I sighed, "When I first heard what was happening, we weren't together. We were gonna crash with these guys that she knew, so she dropped me off, because I was exhausted, and when I woke up the entire neighborhood I was in was like on some type of lockdown." I explained, scenes of confused families all standing outside their houses replaying through my mind, "The guys in that house were really paranoid about what was happening though, so that night, they cut through the fencing that was put up and we left; never saw her again after that."

"These guys," Daryl started lowly, "They the ones from ya old group?"

I hesitantly nodded, "I regret following them.." I said quietly, "They just kept telling me that whatever was going on was gonna end in something bad if we stayed; it was a lose lose situation but I just didn't want to be left alone."

I felt as Daryl got tense at the mention of the, less than decent, people from my last group, before I slowly rubbed my hand over his arm in an attempt to calm him.

"But if I wouldn't have gone with them, Rick would have never found me and brought me to Alexandria, and I would have never met you." I said, "I'd do it all over if it meant I'd end up next to you again."

Daryl glanced over at me, his eyes soft before he focused back on the road, "I just don't like all that shit that ya went through." He mumbled, "Don't like seein' ya upset."

"Well, I'm not anymore." I shook my head, "And I know, as long as I'm with you, I won't be."

***

The rest of the car ride was comfortable as our hands stayed intertwined; the music from the CD player continuing to remind me of all the time I spent on the road before everything happened. Those times were a mixture of highs and lows for me, but right now, I felt like I was on cloud nine.

We soon turned onto Atlas, the road Rick had mentioned before, seeing a couple houses, and something that resembled a small convenience store in the distance.

As the car rolled to a stop and we both got out, I reached in the back, grabbing an empty backpack and throwing it over my shoulder, "Where should we start?" I asked, pulling my knife from its holster.

"House, probably." Daryl said, flicking his head in the direction of the unkempt wooden building, "Get it outta the way and then check out the rest."

***

"The doors locked," I said, jiggling the handle before peering through the dust covered window, "Doesn't look like there's anyone in there though."

"Alright, lets check the other windows, see if one of 'em is open." Daryl instructed as we started circling the house.

I pushed on each window I could reach before one finally gave way, "Daryl, this one!" I yelled, getting his attention, "It's unlocked, I just need help up."

"Hold up." He said before coming over to the window and loudly banging on it, seconds of silence passing as I held my breath, anticipating a walker to show up on the other side of the glass but, thanks to some sort of luck, that didn't happen.
"'Kay, c'mon." He murmured, interlocking his fingers together and boosting me up, just high enough for me to push the window open and climb in.

"I'll get the front door." I breathed, steadying myself on my feet again as I pushed my hair out of my face.

"Keep ya eyes open, Liz," he stopped me, "We ain't know what's in there."

"I will." I nodded before looking around the room I was in, which looked like it was once an office.
I grabbed my knife again, comfortably gripping it in my hand as I peered through the door that led to the rest of the house, the eery silence almost deafening, before stepping out and navigating my way back to the front entrance.

"Hear anythin'?" Daryl asked as I opened the door, letting him into the vacant house.

I shook my head, "Nothing yet, but I didn't really wait around to see if anything would show up."

He nodded, "Let's clear the house first and then get whatever we can."

I nodded back, following closely behind him as we went from room to room, seeking out anything that wasn't supposed to be there, but thankfully finding nothing but cobwebs and empty space.

"I'll get the front half if you want to get the back?" I offered, unsure of the best way to do this since, whenever I used search for supplies, I was always on my own for the most part.

"Yeah," Daryl nodded, "Food, meds, bullets-" he quickly reminded before I cut him off, swiftly pressing my lips to his as a wave of appreciation suddenly overcame me, leaving me unable to control myself as I felt his hands slowly grip my waist.
With each second that passed when I was with Daryl, even while doing something like scavenging, I felt myself falling deeper and deeper for him. He made me feel important and useful and I desperately wanted to give him that same feeling back, even though I knew it would never be easy.

I don't think he'll ever understand how much he means to me already.

_____
Same excuse as last time; I've been so busy during the day and, as a result, extremely tired at night.
For the next couple weeks, it'll probably be the same sort of deal, but I am really working on posting as often as I can for you guys because I hate going this long without an update.

That being said, I apologize, but don't worry, I'll be doing my best to post when I can!

Let me know what you think about this chapter and where the story is going!
This was a bit more of a filler chapter, but trust me, some stuff is coming up..

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 2K 16
βπ’πžπœπ¨π§π π–π’π§πβž ― In a world ravaged by walkers, ten-year-old Elodie fights to survive each day. But she's not just any survivor-she's a girl...
494 22 13
The Walking Dead Fan fiction Wanna know more? Read on ..
55.1K 1.4K 55
i looked at him as a friend until i realized i loved him -#98 Daryl Dixon (2/14/24) -#35 Daryl Dixon Fanfiction (1/9/24) -#106 The Walking Dead (4/28...
176 17 5
❝ 𝐦𝐚𝐀𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐝, 𝐬𝐚𝐝 𝐠𝐒𝐫π₯ ❞ Charlotte Greene had always thought everything would be fine. She thought that the illness that caused...