Golden Bonds

By NJKuhr

(Featured in Werewolf) Parker Westwood is well on her way to qualifying for the US woman's gymnastics team... More

And So It Ends
Oh, This Is So Much Worse.
Frienamies
The Cavalry Arrives
The Wonders of Morphine
A Rock Meets A Hard Place
Insert foot In Mouth
Tribunal
Pushing Buttons
Omega
When Scars Reopen
Sensory Overload
Conflicting Emotions
Bash
Light At The End Of The Tunnel
Challenges and Cartwheels
Green light
A Lesson In Balance
The Run
One Of Our Own
Betty
When the Dam Breaks
Pasts and Compromises
Mate
Power Play
Comrades In Arms
Pack and Family
State Of Alert
Shock
Fight
A Taste Of Cruetly
Surprises
And So It Begins
Epilogue
Book Tour
Publishing

RUN!

20.1K 1.1K 178
By NJKuhr

DUN DUN DUN. What's going to happen?

Happy Reading.

Love
NJ Kuhr
XOXO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After two nights of nothing happening people began to return to their normal schedules. Bash didn't want people driving to or from pack lands by themselves but that was the largest change. Jake was showing signs of healing but it was slow. Laurel was worried about waking him up so we still didn't know what happened.

On the third night I went back to Laurel's cabin. The recliner was not the most comfortable way to sleep and I was falling behind on some research Laurel asked me to collect for her.

She wanted to figure out how to do DNA research on werewolves. I didn't know the medical technicalities but I could figure out who did know and what they used. She wanted to know if there was a way to identify a werewolf in our blood and compare it to a human's.

If there were indicators in our DNA the need to bring us out to the public would be more substantiated. Technology was making it harder for us to hide. If our blood had any qualities that were different than humans it was going to have to be sooner rather than later. If there weren't any differences we could stay hidden longer.

Sitting in an empty doctor's office creeped me out so I took the laptop into the kitchen and nibbled on left over lasagna while I worked. Reading over a medical journal trying to identify what equipment they were using in a study that sounded close to what Laurel wanted when something caught my eye. I looked up towards the large windows.

I'd kept the lights off so I could see the thick forest that took up the view. There was nothing out there so I went back to the website. A couple of minutes later I caught myself jerking back towards the window again.

Bash knew I was here and the patrols were still walking the perimeters. He'd send someone to walk around the cabins every hour or so. His need for control and the desire to keep me safe would make him send someone or come himself to check on me eventually.

The scratching sound made me jump. There were trees along one side of the house. I ignored it as wind rustled the tree tops outside until I heard it again but coming from the other side. Something thumped near the front corner of the doctor's office. The porch curled around so there weren't any trees to brush up against the siding on that side of the cabin.

Gem stood up cocking her ears to listen better. Something soft brushed up against the siding. It was so subtle I couldn't tell where it was coming from or if I was freaking myself out. I knew raccoons liked to harass cabins and other properties that bordered the forest lands but those critters avoided werewolves. They stayed away from pack homes.

When I heard it a second time at a different window I knew it wasn't my imagination. I set the computer on the counter and got up. There was nothing in the back or in the trees that I could see so I headed towards the front of the house. I paused at the door listening but didn't hear anything. The pack was always careful to announce themselves before coming up to me. It would have been in very poor taste to sneak up and scare me on purpose.

Opening the front door took some fortitude. I am a werewolf. I'm the monster in this story. Gem nodded her head sharply in agreement. We were not going to be scared of a stupid marsupial. Though I was pretty sure Raccoons weren't actually marsupials but calling them that made me feel better. They are cute little fluffy marsupials. Nothing dangerous or creepy or frightening was ever named something sweet and soft like marsupial. I was the scary beast out of horror movies.

It wasn't the desire to find something that pushed me out the door. It was the desperate need to not find anything. A terrible urgency to prove that it was all in my head, that there wasn't anything out there.

Stepping onto the deck I could smell it. The scent was spoiled, wrong. Something about it was familiar though, I couldn't place it. It was the same scent we'd picked up in the woods and I knew it was something I'd come across before. Stepping off the edge of the porch I looked along the side of the cabin, taking a few steps back so I could get a wider view.

Nothing was out of place, the swing wasn't moving, the shutters hadn't been opened. That smell though, something had circled the cabin. It was thickest around the doors and windows.

Sniffing the air again trying to identify the source I searched the trees behind the cabin. Even with my wolf surfacing I couldn't see anything. We could see perfectly but even werewolves don't have x-ray vision. The trees were so thick we could only make out about forty yards in.

A twig snapped. It wasn't far out of my sight and it was quiet enough I wasn't sure if I'd really heard anything.

Chills washed down my arms when I felt him. My stomach plummeted, every muscle in my body strung tight. I couldn't move, holding my breath praying to the Moon it was all in my head. The scent engulfed me and I knew. He was filthy and there was something wrong in his blood but it was him.

"He's dead, Parker." I mumbled to myself thinking if I said it aloud it would make it true. The flashback would dissipate. "He's dead. He's dead. He's dead."

A low terrifying snicker reached my ears. My wolf dropped low in my mind, pressing herself down as if she were cornered. Not dead. Not a flashback.

The shadows shifted as a wide towering shadow stepped into a break between the trees. Gemini surged forward at the same time that I bolted. We drew energy from the pack. Lunging away from the woods I took a flying leap and shifted mid-jump. Four paws struck the ground running.

BASH!

I screamed through the pack bonds, the mate bond, my wolf howled out a warning. The pack bonds rang more fiercely than a thousand cymbals falling from the sky. We sprinted towards the pack house, the mate bond forever telling me where he was. Charging across the quad people and wolves came flooding out from the pack house in response; people running from private cabins, others from the woods.

Bash in the lead hurdled over the porch racing to meet me. His boots dug into the grass to halt his momentum just as my wolf locked her forelegs to slow us down. We slide between his calves. Gem was just small enough not to take him down. Dodging behind him we turned, peering around his leg to look back towards Laurel's cabin.

He hadn't chased us.

"Who's chasing you, Parker?" There was a demand in Bash's voice, furious thinking someone was playing a nasty prank on me.

My eyes darted around looking, scanning the trees for any sign of him. It was real. I know it was real. Our heart was beating against our chest. Gemini standing at the ready, all four legs tense in preparation. We were pressed against Bash's leg but we didn't care. It wasn't in my head. He was there. We knew that monster was here. We sniffed the air but couldn't get anything outside of the pack.

Careful not to spook me Bash set a guarded hand on my head just behind my wolf's ears. I hadn't given him permission to touch but he wanted to comfort me. For once, I was glad. "Parker? Who's chasing you?"

Bradley . I sent through the pack bonds just as Gem snarled. I felt a deeper connection with the pack than I had before, strength fused into the bond. It solidified and I could reach out to them easier, feel them closer. I'd ran to them, not from them. I'd borrowed their strength with pack magic to change as fast as I did. Changing takes ten or fifteen minutes, I'd reached for the pack and changed in seconds.

He would never sigh or do anything that might make me feel foolish or that I was a disappointment. Bash only pivoted so he was facing me and squatted. One of his knees stayed pressed against my shoulder to keep the contact either for his benefit or mine. All I wanted was to stay as far away from Bradley as I could.

Tilting his head to the side he looked over my wolf's face before he settled on our eyes, waiting until we looked back. "Bradley is dead. He died during the fighting when we raided the track."

We stepped back away from him in frustration. My wolf shaking her head back and forth sent her ears flat against her head and growled. I showed them the images of Laurel's cabin, tried to send them the strange smell, the shadow in the trees. It was the same smell from the woods and I knew it was him. I knew it. I gave them a full account of everything that had happened starting with the scratching.

"The flashbacks can be triggered by anything." He rested his elbows on his knees. "I am glad you came to me about it. That you called to the pack."

My wolf whined at him. I was going to prove it wasn't a flashback but the idea of going back to the cabin alone nearly paralyzed me. The pack could smell my fear but I wouldn't show them weakness. Gemini shot Bash a dirty look as we went to step around him and go back to Laurel's. She was going to prove it. I didn't know if we could find his trail or what I was going to do about it but I would figure something out praying to the Goddess he wasn't there.

"Conner." Bash called watching Gemini as our determination set in, reading her posture and we felt his uncertainty that he'd hurt us by not believing us. Regretting that he hadn't taken our fear more seriously right away.

When Conner grunted it made me think he knew what Bash was going to say. The look on his face suggested Conner would have done it even if Bash hadn't asked. "Take some wolves with you and search Laurel's and the surrounding woods."

A few people broke away to follow Conner. Bash studied me when my wolf finally turned back to him and sat down. It wasn't a flashback. I linked through the pack bonds.

He stayed squatting but turned his head to glance at Alek before reaching out to run his fingers through Gemini's scruff. "I believe you. Something startled you but Bradley was killed during the raid. Alek collected Bradley's body and it was burned."

I wanted so badly to believe him. Alek had few expressions but there was a stark alter in his. "I was not the one who killed Bradley. I never saw his body."

Foreboding rippled through the pack. My heart dropped right before my breathing accelerated. Bash hardened. His head jerked over to Lance who only shook his head. Wes as well before Bash turned the other way. "Zeek?"

Zeek stood behind him uncertain and worried. "No, sir."

His Alpha echoed through the pack bonds. Conner? Trent? They both answered negative.

Straightening up, drawing on his full height Sebastian looked around his pack. "If any of you saw him dead you need to step forward, now." I felt the command through the pack bonds. No one moved.

Not meaning to but my panic was rising and I sent flashes of Bradley to everyone. His stance, his wolf, him stalking, him angry; dozens of images sent through the pack bonds in seconds. He's here. Everyone could hear my rambling, feel my fear, smell it. Sebastian, he's here. He knew where I was, how to find me. He knew I was at Laurel's.

Sebastian went full blown commander. The Alpha spreading out from him, twinning around the pack bonds. My wolf stayed low to the ground but stepped back up to Sebastian, pressing our side against his leg.

"Alek, take your team and join Conner's. I want him found. Lance take who you need and secure the rest of the pack; families with human spouses and children first. I'm calling everyone in. Wes, form a tac team to secure the pack house." He turned towards Zeek. "When Wes sends you the 'all clear' take Parker into the basement. Do not leave. I will notify you when it's safe."

Gem started towards the pack house but Bash set a hand on our shoulder to stop her. "Not yet. Everyone rushed out when you called for help. He could be anywhere and if he's smart he'll know the pack house was empty. He could have slipped in while we weren't looking. You're going to stay right here with me until I know it's safe."

That effectively creeped me out and Gem took a step backwards until we were sitting between Bash's feet again.

"Rebecca, go with Alek, get the scent from the cabin and go directly to Laurel. She's saved all the evidence from the attack on Jake. It'll be the same but you need to confirm the scents match. Bradley attacked Jake to keep him from telling the pack there was rogue psychopath trespassing onto the ranch. When Lance arrives secure Jake and then get everyone here safely."

The pack was breaking off into groups with every order. "Michael and Patrick take however many wolves you need and do a perimeter search, then double the sentries. Melody I need a full account of the Phoenix raid. I want a complete record of every wolf's movements. I'm going to know exactly how that bastard slipped through our defenses."

He was in his element. Small bands of wolves set out in different directions, Sebastian standing at the center. The pack bond was like a spider web, links and connections from wolf to wolf all relaying information back to the Alpha. Messages and details sent from one to the other. I couldn't understand half of it, a lot of them direct links to Bash.

I watched everything from my wolf, never stepping away from Bash. Neither Gemini nor I wanted to lose that contact with him. Any member of the pack that hadn't been given a mission stayed near, appointing themselves as an honor guard. They patrolled around the pack house and grounds reporting any disturbances or helping Melody with the records.

Over an hour went by and Sebastian never moved an inch, he didn't so much as shift his weight. Both feet planted in the ground, his focus was unbreakable.

My unease never lifted but I couldn't stand at full alert for long. Gemini was only getting more anxious. Eventually we curled up between Bash's legs and rested our head across the toe of his boot. He smiled down at us, adoration floating through the mate bond before he returned to directing the pack.

Keeping our eyes and ears open my wolf and I kept watch of our surroundings. I watched one wolf roam over the roof of the pack house. That's thorough. I felt useless. I had no talents or training that would benefit the pack.

"You're not a soldier, love." Bash spoke low enough only those close could hear him, there was some semblance of privacy. "It's not that you aren't capable, you're strong and resilient. I can't imagine anything you wouldn't be great at. But you're the target; targets can't be in the field. The pack can't do their jobs if they're trying to guard you at the same time. It would be too hard to leave an Omega defenseless in the field and your presence would calm their wolves when they need to be on alert. None of them would be able to do what was needed. What you bring to the pack is just as important. Not being a soldier doesn't mean you're useless."

I didn't have anything to say so I swung my wolf's tail slapping his leg and inched my head further onto his foot. Gemini didn't mind when I made movements in her form but I could tell she wasn't going to let us shift anytime soon. She was the fighter; she could defend us better than I could. It wasn't long after that when Zeek stepped out of the pack house and came over to us. Gem raised our head not ready to leave Bash's side.

"Wes had one of the new kids go over the security cameras there's something you'll want to see for yourself. The pack house is clear. Every inch has been secured and double checked, windows and doors locked down and armed. The only way in or out is through the front. I caught a foul scent near the back but it disappeared into the woods. Wes dispatched some trackers to follow it." Zeek's carefree attitude was gone, he was straightforward and stern.

This was all information Bash would already have. Zeek was saying it for my benefit. It did give me some peace of mind that I wasn't about to be ambushed once we made it inside. I didn't know what Bash had planned for when I was safely locked away.

A few other wolves were arrived from outlaying cabins. The word had spread; their Alpha was bringing in the entire pack. Bash wouldn't leave them to fend for themselves in the event Bradley came across their homes.

Nudging my wolf she sat up with reluctance sitting between Bash's feet. His hand reached down scratching us behind the ears sending reassurance through the bond. Not being fully bonded was beginning to be inconvenient. I wanted to be able to speak with Bash privately through our bond. If I said anything through the pack bond everyone would receive it.

Only having a partial bond didn't help much. We could send only the strongest of emotions to each other. Vague images took a lot of effort. If we were fully bonded he could hear and see anything I wanted to send him. My wolf wagged her tail at the direction my thoughts were going.

Could I really be considering it? I looked up at Bash, thinking. Would I be interested in him without the mate bond? He was good to me, respected my boundaries. He's been patient with me for months, letting me figure this out on my own. He can be funny at times, but he can also be overbearing. He's an Alpha so that comes with the package. There is an attraction to him. Who wouldn't be attracted to him? Quite the specimen in every possible way.

Would it be so bad if I gave into the compulsion? The Moon had to know what she was doing. She'd created us to be each other's perfect mate. I could see myself wanting to be with Bash without all the wolfy voodoo crap. Was the mate bond really taking away my choice or was it the Goddess's way of improving the relationship with the person I would have chosen on my own?

Bash was watching me, his golden eyes curious. I was looking him up and down like he was on display without realizing it. "Parker? Zeek asked you a question."

He did? Crap! I glanced over at Zeek embarrassed. They couldn't have known what I'd been thinking but they could tell it was something that made me uncomfortable.

"Are you ready? The basement apartment is prepared for you. I asked Trish to bring you some clothes." Zeek sounded like he'd already told me all of this. Double crap.

I pushed an affirmation through the pack bond. My wolf stepped forward to follow Zeek into the house but I made her stop. Reaching out to Gem I asked her what she wanted to do? How'd she say thank you? She hummed gladly.

We both turned back to Bash, his arms crossed in front of his chest watching us with an inquisitive arch in his brow. I made sure to press against the mate bond so he would know this was coming from me and not Gemini. Pushing off our front legs we set our paws on his forearms for balance. Stretching as far as we could we licked the underside of his jaw.

The shocked look on his face had me feeling rather smug as we trotted back to Zeek; who wisely kept his mouth shut and his thoughts to himself. He'd turned away pretending he hadn't seen anything but there was no denying the bemused expression as he tried not to gloat.

When we got to the porch my will power broke and I turned to glance over my shoulder at Bash. He was standing where I left him, he still looked surprised but pleased. He broke out into an enthusiastic grin near big enough to rip his face in half. Smiling to myself we jumped up the stairs and strutted into the house, my tail swooshing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

186K 11.5K 76
[COMPLETE] Kyra's life as a human is over. Bitten and riddled with strange symptoms, she has been ripped from the only life she's ever known and thro...
29.5K 824 19
Lucy is just an average girl who lived an average life. At age 18, she has a job, lives in a house by herself, and has very few friends. She basicall...
28.7M 880K 55
I glared up at him my eyes narrowed, "Excuse me?" I was beyond livid by the words that just came out of his mouth. My glare didn't falter when Parker...
2.8M 75.5K 73
Family problems were something Sasha had become accustomed to. An Alpha werewolf mate was something she was definitely not accustomed to. Sasha is a...