The Princess and The Devil...

By sophieralph

Blackmails, threats and contracts from the prince (Gakushuu Asano) are the thing that's getting in the way of... More

O N E : HIME SAKURAGI
T W O : UNPLEASANT PEOPLE
T H R E E : INFIRMARY
F O U R : NOTE
F I V E : THE ASSEMBLY
S I X : MEETING THE 5 VIRTUOSOS
S E V E N : HERE
VALENTINE'S DAY SPECIAL
E I G H T : PICKING THE LITTLE BROTHER UP
N I N E : KARMA'S VISIT
T E N : THROWN
E L E V E N : DESPAIR
T W E L V E : THE HONOUR STUDENT
T H I R T E E N : KARMA AKABANE AND HIME SAKURAGI
F O U R T E E N : FLASHBACK TIME II
F I F T E E N : FLASHBACK TIME III
S I X T E E N : KARMA AKABANE
S E V E N T E E N : COME BACK
E I G H T E E N : TALK
N I N E T E E N : TRUST
T W E N T Y : FEELINGS
T W E N T Y - O N E : UNEASY
T W E N T Y - T W O : MUDPRINTS
T W E N T Y - T H R E E : RESCUE MISSION
T W E N T Y - F O U R : GAKUSHUU'S TIME
T W E N T Y - F I V E : THE AWAKENING
T W E N T Y - S I X : THE VISIT
T W E N T Y - S E V E N : RED SPIDER LILIES
T W E N T Y - E I G H T : INEVITABLE TRUTH
T W E N T Y - N I N E : TIME'S UP
T H I R T Y : BROKEN WORLDS & BROKEN HEARTS
T H I R T Y - O N E : WHITE CHRYSANTHEMUMS
T H I R T Y - T W O : LUNCH I
T H I R T Y - T H R E E : LUNCH II
T H I R T Y - F O U R : Exams?!
T H I R T Y - F I V E : GOODBYE JAPAN
T H I R T Y - S I X : ARRIVAL
T H I R T Y - S E V E N : HIS THOUGHTS
T H I R T Y - E I G H T : TOO LATE?
T H I R T Y - N I N E : TRYING
F O R T Y : THE LADY IN WAITING
F O R T Y - O N E : JUDO & GARDENS
F O R T Y - T W O : BOTANICAL CLUB
F O R T Y - T H R E E : TREASON
F O R T Y - F O UR : HOME
F O R T Y - F I V E :
F O R T Y - S I X : CROWNED PRINCESS'S RETURN
F O R T Y - E I G H T : Not hers?
FORTY - NINE : ALONE
F I F T Y : SEA OF RED ROSES
F I F T Y - O N E : THE MEETING
F I F T Y - T W O : THE COMMENCE OF OPERATION WARDAH
F I F T Y - T H R E E
F I F T Y - F O U R : THE NEWS
F I F T Y - F I V E : With or Against?
F I F T Y - S I X : THE BULLET
F I F T Y - S E V E N : THE RESCUE MISSION
F I F T Y - E I G H T : SAVED
F I F T Y - N I N E : GAKUSHUU AND HIME
S I X T Y - A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS
S I X T Y - O N E : UNRAVELLED TRUTH
S I X T Y - T W O : LET'S GO!
S I X T Y - T H R E E : CLASS 3E TIME
S I X T Y - F O U R : THE PLAN
S I X T Y - F I V E : THE DEVIL
S I X T Y - S I X : THE KNIGHT
S I X T Y - S E V E N : THE QUEEN
S I X T Y - E I G H T : AFTERMATH
S I X T Y - N I N E : THE PRINCESS
S E V E N T Y : LEAVING
S E V E N T Y - O N E: HIME'S TIME
S E V E N T Y - T W O : 7 YEARS
AFTER STORY: PART 1
AFTER STORY: PART 2

F O R T Y - S E V E N : SHIRAGIKU'S SHRINE

923 25 8
By sophieralph

Normal's POV

Kamakura dismisses the White Chrysanthemums as soon as the royals make their way to the garden for some tea. Nicholas is in awe at how beautiful the landscape is. He is in an even bigger awe when he sees the intricate designs of the chateau. He had originally wanted to go by himself which scared the living daylights out of Hime. But when Kamakura volunteers himself to take him on a tour around the chateau, he gathers an even bigger group of spectacle. Elvin, always in his fired up mode wanted to explore 'new grounds' since he's already tired of exploring the same avant-garde Victorian styled castle in Sussex which is also known by; school.

Chen decides to follow her two best friends after asking for permission since the 'new grounds' they are all so excited to discover is their friend's house and it is rather rude to just wander around even if they have a guide with them. Hime lets them wonder off, much to Sakura's dismay. Sakura only wanted to feed these kids before making Hime send them back to Sussex. Who knows how long they are able to converse freely like this? Who knows how much time they have left until the traitors begin to start rebelling against the crown?

And who knows if they will be safe?

Obviously, everyone will focus on the Sakuragi's safety. Everyone has it all planned out. When Karma comes for his daily visit, Ichiro has to make Karma see of the dire situation and make him take Haru to a safer place without letting the red haired know of Hime's return. It's not like anyone underestimates Karma's ability to protect both the Sakuragi siblings but rather they fear feelings might get in the way thus blinding any rational thinking.

Sometime after Karma's first visit to the castle, Natsume had summoned his three loyal servants whom he dares call his friend. Hirase, the black butler wannabe, Sakura, Natsume's most loved maid and Natsume's brother in law whom he sees as his brother was summoned to Natsume's bedroom one at a time. When asked a question about Karma Akabane, natsume found that Ichiro was the only one who could answer most of the questions since he practically watch him grow up alongside the siblings from a distance. And when ichiro didn't deny Natsume's one question regarding his only daughter and the red haired, the Emperor knew he wouldn't take the risk of letting the Suicidal Bastard protect his children. When asked the same question to his other two servants, Natsume concludes that no one denies the fact that Karma Akabane is more than willing to drop everything if it concerns Hime.

And so, Natsume had decided that in a dire situation, he will not let Hime be under the devil spawn's red wings. He fears that Karma wouldn't think twice before throwing his life away for Hime's sake and wouldn't think twice on abandoning Haru if Karma were to decide the situation is too hard for him to handle. And so, to ensure no lives have to be sacrificed, Natsume had decided to let Karma take care of Haru and only Haru.

However, Hime's friends are not included in the 'Important People to Save' list. And that's what's worrying Sakura for she, out of all people know how a loved one's death can not only move the strongest mountains but create stroms and tsunamis.

After all, she had seen with her own two eyes how someone with power could act when they lose a loved someone.

Sakura had never understood on how powerful one's feelings are for she had sacrificed a lot for Natsume's sake; and it is just one of the many things she had given up for her maternal love towards Natsume.

It was crazy how feelings and love can easily blind someone by ripping them off of their rational thinking and it scared her. She doesn't wish to see that chaos that she witnessed long ago and that angst and wrath was from an Emperor who had lost his Empress in his own country.

And that Emperor was Natsume.

She does not dare even imagine the ugly sight if these beautiful children were sacrificed in the rising sun's land. For she knows that it will create an even bigger chaos; one that is not as simple as solving a problem with words and agreement in one of the treaty rooms in the Institute of Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs of Japan but with weapons and nuclear and in the worst case scenario; war.

***

Sakura and Aoi stands at the side as she scrutinizes the 3 teens' movements. Hime raises her cup filled with her favourite freshly brewed tea near her lips as she consumes it sip by sip. It is still rather hot so she takes caution when she makes an attempt to drink it. By now, she is casually making conversations with Aoi as she asks about her little brother. Aoi, on the other hand, told her that her brother has an intensive tutor session from 7 o'clock in the morning and it will end a few minutes before Karma finishes school.

Jemma tries to act normal, as well. Perhaps during their walk to the garden, Hime had asked Jemma to do so. Tae didn't reach out for anything served on the table at first but then when Jemma had asked him what was bothering him, he took the first thing his hand reached and it just so happens to be a peanut butter and chocolate flavoured cupcake and it was August's favourite flavour. Tae had excused himself sometime later with the cupcake to take a walk near the fountain. Hime knows that Tae is probably mourning over his best friend and decided to tell Jemma about it.

Jem has always been an elder sister to all of them and she feels responsible to talk to the mourning boy. So, she excuses herself as Hime watch from a distance. Her heart clenches at the sight.

"So they are your new friends, Hime-sama?" Sakura asks as Hime nods slowly. She is on full alert as she watches the trees surrounding them and glances naturally on sniper-friendly locations. She would be damned if she let them get hurt. Sakura hums in response. "Forgive me, Hime-sama but they all look so normal to me." Sakura said, watching the two teenagers near the fountain. Hime turns around to give Sakura a kind smile.

"I think so too." Hime agrees. "I think all 6 of us are the same despite the different upbringing. And I guess royalty or not, we are all the same, Sakura-san." Hime said, looking down as she plays with the hem of her shirt. "In the end, we are humans so we share the same feelings although the way we feel depends on our perception on certain things and it also depends on how deep it affected us. Some are brought up in a broken house, some had more tragic stories and some had happier stories. But in the end, we will all feel the same thing when we lose someone or something we hold dear to. And those feelings are exactly what made us humans." Hime said, smiling. She wasn't quoting anyone but for some reason, Koro-sensei's face begins to take form in her mind. The yellow octopus had made her change her views on so many different things and thus raising her up into a girl she is today in only a duration of approximately 7 months

"Spoken like a true Queen." Sakura smiles proudly at the silver haired girl. She feels her heart clenches in the most painful (in a good way) way possible. Sakura has always adored the little girl in front of her. She has always been so strong and so intelligent and although Sakura has never laid eyes upon the girl, but she has heard many stories from Ichiro. Natsume would always summon Ichiro to his bedroom every time Ichiro spends time with the two siblings. In time, hirase and Sakura herself are being invited to listen to the story of the two siblings. She would always remember how Ichiro describes how Hime takes care of Haru and how they were being looked after by a boy named Karma Akabane. She remembers how Hirase would laugh louder than anyone as he coos on how cute the siblings were and he had the most respect for Hime for being able to keep her grades up while taking care of her brother.

As for Natsume, she remembers how Natsume's eyes will glint in excitement and full of love whenever Ichiro tells him about his children. Sometimes Natsume would get a tad bit too emotional for the story and had to excuse himself for the rest of the night. It is silent and not proven, but everyone knows he was crying.

So seeing how grown up Hime is and how well grown she is despite being only 15 makes her emotional. She couldn't help herself but stroke Hime's hair gently. Hime was taken aback at the sudden display of affection as she had never been able to even dream of having a mother-like figure in her life. It was her, who was the mother and it has always been her who displays the affection. So when it's the other way round, Hime's eyes automatically waters as her vision blurs.

She doesn't understand what's happening but she feels so relaxed and she feels as if her burden has been lifted up – like nothing is wrong and no one is in danger. Sakura watches tears streaming down Hime's cheek and remembers how Natsume used to crave her attention in exchange for his mother's. And in that moment, she engulfs Hime in a hug. She understands why Hime is so bitter towards her father. Hime is like a container that is overflowing with kept feelings and burden. Behind everyone story Ichiro had told the 3 of them in Natsume's chambers every fortnight was a different story for Hime.

Her childhood was ripped away from her and she was forced to raise her brother up by herself. She, who had never received a mother's love or even a father's love before is being forced to love someone else. How could she do it? She doesn't know how but looking at Haru, no one dares to deny how well Hime has brought her little brother up.

Hime lets her hand fall to the side as she scolds herself. She desperately wants her tears to stop. I've always wanted a mother, hime thought, wrapping her arms around Sakura's torso. I have always wanted to know how warm a mother's hug could be. I have always wanted to know and experience a mother's love. Since young, Hime has always known that Akahana isn't her real mother despite the title Hime calls Hana by. And it's even more prominent when Hana never cares about her unless it's for show. But now when she was hugged by Sakura, she feels at ease, as if she can do anything she wants. "Thank you." Hime whispers, nuzzling her face in the crook of Sakura's neck. Sakura smiles and hugs her tighter.

"No, thank you. Thank you for being born. Thank you for being a good elder sister and a mother to Haru despite not knowing how. Thank you for not giving up. Thank you for being alive." Sakura pulls away from the hug and wipes Hime's tears away with her thumb as she kisses the crown of Hime's hair. Hime sniffs as she musters a smile. Sakura's eyes flickers from Hime's bluish grey eyes when she catches someone who has sandy blonde hair and asparagus green eyes looking at them like a hawk from one of the windows near the dining hall. She sees Hirase standing next to Ichiro who was hugging himself. Hirase has his hand on Ichiro's shoulder when the three made eye contact. She knows what that means. Hime follows her gaze and turns around which made Ichiro smile a little and gives her a little wave.

"His majesty requests for your presence. I am sure you already know about the lese-majesty?" Hime sniffs and dries her eyes. She nods once as she reminds herself why she's in Japan in the first place.

"Yo, Higanbana!" Elvin hollers from the distance. Hime turns at the sound and sees him with Chen and Nick exiting the door from the dining room. Jem and Tae apparently had closed their heart to heart session as they join the group and make their way to where Hime is currently at.

"Chen, I think we have to go home, now." Tae said, his voice thick with tears.

"What? But we just got here and Higanbana haven't done anything yet." Chen said, looking at Hime.

"Ah, it's okay. I can just go back to Sussex when everything is fine and dandy." Hime smiles.

"But why do we have to go back now? Why cant we just wait for Higanbana?" Elvin whines.

"Yeah, I haven't been to Japan before and there's so much I want to do and so many places I want to go." Nicholas said, oblivious to Tae's hoarse voice.

"Yeah, we have to go to Akihabara!" Elvin said and Nick nods vigorously.

"No, we have to leave." Jem said, completely ignoring the duo.

"Why?" Chen asks, looking at tae.

"August is dead." Jem said and upon the news, everyone's smiling faces was swept off their face immediately.

***
Hime quietly trails behind Sakura as they enter the castle from a different entrance than what Hime was used to. When Hime asks where are they exactly in the palace, Sakura only gives her a short "We're in the walls." Answer. Hime doesn't know whether to freak out or she had guessed the castle must have some kind of secret passage to ensure the royals' safety.

"How do you know about this passage if it's a secret?" Hime asks.

"I used to be your mother's maid, too. She was the one who designed this palace. Your mother was an architect and this chateau was the last thing she drew before she died. She made me, Hirase and Ichrio promise to memorise the routes so we could all help you, your father and your brother to escape. And of course, your step mother as well." Sakura said, taking a sharp left. Hime looks around the narrow space. She feels so claustrophobic and it's hard to breathe. She would have a panic attack if it wasn't for her trust in Sakura and the warmth radiating from Sakura's and hers intertwined hand. Hime realises how her mother had perfectly designed the secret passage for she had installed lights and good air passageway. Judging from the sound of maids giggling on her right and rough voices of men laughing on her left, she knew that she is probably in between the butlers' lounge and the maids' lounge.

"What are these girls doing?" Sakura wonders aloud when she twirls the wrist watch on her free and non-dominant hand. She mumbles angrily about how it's only 12PM and the girls and boys are lazing around instead of working just because she and Hirase weren't around to check on them.

Hime lets herself get dragged as her thoughts wonder off to how concerned her friends were when they heard about August's death. Elvin was the first one to cry and apologise for being so oblivious to Tae's pain. Nick apologised for not saying anything even if he knows Tae was sad for something. As for Chen, she promised Tae to bring them all to Russia for August's burial. But before they left, Hime had given them a gift each as appreciation for bringing her home. She made Jem promise to not say a word about the lese-majesty and in return, Jem made her promise to come back to Sussex alive. Although it was hard to make that promise, she agrees.

"Hime-sama, are you ready to meet your mother?" Sakura suddenly stops making Hime crash directly into her.

"Meet my mother? What do you mean?" She asks, raising her eyebrow in question. It doesn't make any sense.

"Up this stairs is our first and last checkpoint before we enter the throne room where your father is."

"And my mother is in that room?" Hime questions as her Hana's face takes form in her mind. She sighs as she braces herself to meet Akahana. It's not like she hated her mother but Hana hasn't really been a mother to her but has been a mother to Haru and only haru. It hurts. She has seen it before when she was on her way to one of her classes in the chateau. She would overhear Hana and haru's giggles as they would play together and spend time together in Hana's room. Hime, on the other hand was never allowed to step foot in the Empress's room. Sakura nods at the question as she brings Hime up the stairs. When they reach the white pristine door at the top of the stairs, Sakura takes out a ring full of keys.

Hime notes that one of those keys is the key to her bedroom and her gaze softens at the memory.

"Are you ready?" Sakura asks and Hime doesn't understand why Sakura wanted to see Hana so badly but she keeps her mouth shut and nods. When Sakura inserts the key and turns it to the left, a soft click is heard. Sakura slowly turns the door knob and opens the door. As soon as the door opens, the whole room lights up.

The first thing Hime sees is a huge black piano in the middle of the room. Sakura goes in first and makes way for the crowned princess to enter. And then it hits hime like a tonne of bricks.

Sakura-san wasn't talking about Akahana but rather, my real mother. She's talking about Shiragiku Sakuragi.

It's the first time Hime sees Shiragiku's picture. Hime couldnt think or talk straight as she has a mix of emotions. She is happy, excited, sad and lonely all at once. And the feelings she was feeling was too intense that she could barely understand or put a name to the emotions. On the walls are mainly candid shots of Shiragiku. There were so many pictures of her and Natsume and some with her twin brother,  ichiro. And some are with her only younger sister, Akahana. Hime feels as if another missing puzzle to her heart has been found. She walks to a picture that catches her attention most; a picture where Shiragiku is in a long baby blue dress looking at the ocean. Hime could tell the wind was strong because Shiragiku's platinum blonde hair was all over the place. Her kind, asparagus green eyes was looking directly to the camera. Her pink lips curl up into a smile.

"She's beautiful." Hime whispers to no one in particular as she traces her mother's face.

"You look exactly like her, Hime-sama." Sakura sniffs. Hime smiles a little. She thought she would never get to know her birth mother or what she looks like. But with this room, she feels close to her mother.

"Do my mother play the piano too?" Hime asks Sakura as she turns around and touches the black piano. Sakura nods.

"That's why your father insisted you to play the piano." Sakura smiles softly as she walks over to the corner where she sees a mini shrine for her mother. Sakura takes a hardcover book tied tidily with a black shoestring under Shiragiku's picture. "Here," Sakura smiles. "She wrote this book. And I know you would want to get to know your mother. So, here." Sakura hand Hime the book and Hime couldn't help but stare at the object being handed to her. She examines the book unconsciously and finds that the book is still in good condition. And found that there are 4 different books joined together with the first one. "Everything you want to know about your mother is here."

Hime's trembling hands grab the book and hold it close to her chest. She doesn't know if she would like what she's going to read. But at least she's got a piece of her mother to remember her properly by.

"Right," Sakura sniffs again and wipes her stray tears with the back of her palms and walk to the other end of the room. "His highness is waiting for you inside. I'll be downstairs in the kitchen if you ever need me." Sakura said, opening the door before bowing respectfully to the young princess. Hime hears Natsume's voice asking Sakura about her whereabouts followed by his coughing fits.

"Give her some time. It's her first time seeing her mother." Sakura said before a loud sound echoes throughout the room to signal the door is opened and another loud sound is produced to signal the door is closed.

Hime looks around the room and tightens her grip on the book her mother had written. She will protect those who are important to her and will protect this room as well. There is so much she wants to know about her mother but it just simply cant be done now because who knows what or who else might be taken away from her as soon as she diverts her attention?

For now, this book is enough to make her content.

***

Yay this is the first chapter for the arc! What do you guys think of this chapter? 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.7K 537 33
Rinka Hayami and Ryunosuke Chiba: the best marksmen in Class 3-E, and also real good friends. ...Maybe? Queue Korosensei, Karma, Rio, and (most impor...
10.9K 342 12
"The devil's smile gleamed in the moonlight, but for some reason, it felt like he was an angel sent here to protect me." "I'm assuming that would be...
9K 374 60
Shiniko Kuroshira, a girl with a troubled past and a cold outlook on life in the conflicting present. She was taken in by Gakuhou Asano as a child af...
206K 7K 50
「B o o k t w o」 Truly, madly, deeply is Yuuki Angel in love with Akabane Karma, so does he. Since they became a couple, both of them began to sh...