Taken In By The Cullens

By GraceBeard

Fifteen year old Maddie Hunter lost her parents when she was five years old due to a house fire. She was save... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Two

8.9K 187 5
By GraceBeard

As soon as they were out of school, the Cullen's and Hale's met up and jumped into their large car before Emmitt drove out of the car park and in the direction of their home. "What do you all think on the new kid?" the driver asked; his niece was the first to speak up, a smile printed on her face "Maddie is really nice" she insisted happily. Her mother and Alice nodded in agreement "yeah, she even helped me during our English lesson" Bella informed. Jasper, who had remained silent since leaving the school building, finally spoke up about the elephant in the room "there's something about her....something different to others" neither of them could say he was wrong; Rosalie added "her scent...it's more luring and tempting then other humans" they had each caught her scent and needed to take more than a minute to compose themselves. As they all fell into a thoughtful silence, they eventually arrived at their gorgeous home that was located deep within the forest which was on the outskirts of the town; they hopped out of the now parked car and entered their home when they were greeted by Esme who appeared from the kitchen "how was school?" she asked; they each either shrugged or said fine before Renesmee spoke up "I became friends with the new girl today" she smiled "but there's something about that confuses us all". Such a statement indeed confused the motherly woman as she asked them to expand on their words; they each took a seat within the living room where the youngest chose to start. "Her name is Maddie Hunter, she's my age" she began, followed by her mother "except she's been placed within our year at school, though we're unsure of how" now that was a surprise; Esme thought for a moment 'perhaps she is just smart enough to skip two years of school?'. This time, Edward chose to speak up and reveal his own trouble "I couldn't read her mind" all eyes turned towards him, their expressions showing complete and utter shock as he continued "I've tried to all day since I first saw her in science....but I just couldn't" this clearly bothered him.

"And....her scent...it's not like other humans" Jasper stated, alarming the motherly figure "it's stronger, better and more...luring....I nearly lost control when she entered the art room" they all smiled as Esme patted the young man on the shoulder "we're proud that you didn't Jasper". The oldest woman turned back to the others after a moment to think "I'll discuss this with Carlisle when he gets back from work" she reassured before suggested they all - minus her granddaughter - go hunting "it sounds like you each desperately need it". Not prepared to argue with the woman, nor needing to be told twice, the group of vampires rushed to change into their hunting clothes and sped out of the house, running deeper into the forest. "I'm gonna go do my homework" Renesmee stated as she stood up from her seat "might call Maddie as well" this earned a smile from her grandmother "you exchanged numbers with this girl?" she asked, earning a nod "we've also arranged to hang out one day soon so that I can give her a tour of the town since she only just moved here" and with that, she began to make her way upstairs after Esme smiled, stating that it was nice of her granddaughter. After two more hours of cleaning the kitchen, Esme heard her husband arrive and walk through the front door before declaring that he was back; his wife embraced the man, as well as shared a kissed with him, as she welcomed him home. After explaining where all the 'kids' were, Esme changed the subject as they entered the kitchen "we need to discuss something" she stated, Carlisle rose a brow of confusion but allowed himself to be led to the table where they sat "alright, what about exactly?". Once both adults were sat at the table, Esme began to explain "there's a new girl at the kids school, Renesmee has become good friends with her" she stated as her husband listened "but....they all say that this girl's scent is more...luring than other humans" Carlisle nodded, extremely interested with what he was hearing "apparently it's much stronger and...well Edward can't read her mind". Upon hearing the last statement, the man's eyes widened in shock "he can't read her mind?!" he repeated, wondering if he had heard his wife correctly "but how?!" the woman shrugged as she explained what their 'son' had told her "he says he had tried ever since he first saw her but no matter what he did or how hard he tried...he just couldn't". The couple fell into a deep thoughtful silence until an idea came to Esme's mind "you're going to be attending tomorrow's career's day at their school, aren't you?" she asked, earning a nod of confirmation "indeed, what of it?" this earned an eye roll from his wife as she continued "try to talk to her, see it all for yourself" she suggested. Taking a moment to think, Carlisle nodded "I'll see what I can do" he promised "maybe Renesmee or one of the others can get this girl to visit my own stall". The plan was made, and it was agreed.

Not long after their discussion, the 'kids' returned from their hunt and happily greeted Carlisle. The couple - after calling their granddaughter down from her bedroom - explained their arranged plan for tomorrow and they each agreed that it was a good idea "Renesmee, Alice or I can do that" Bella stated, earning two nods of agreement "since were the one ones who properly met and like Maddie" that earned a few glares and eye rolls. "So, her name is Maddie?" Carlisle asked earning a multiple of nods "yeah, Maddie Hunter" Alice informed. Deciding to pull the conversation to an end, Esme left to begin cooking her granddaughter some dinner - Renesmee was only half vampire so she does need to eat normal food; the adults chose to sit with her during her meal so that they could continue to talk, as well as watch TV. Soon after the girl had finished her meal, her phone began to ring which caught her family's attention - her phone only ever rang when it was one of them or Jacob Black, but it wasn't his familiar ringtone. "Hello?" she answered politely "hey Renesmee, it's Maddie" the person on the other end replied, this earned the immediately reaction of a bright smile "hey Maddie". As she stood from her seat on the sofa, Renesmee asked how her friend was as she placed her dirty dishes in the sink before making her way outside where she could sit in the hammock. "I'm good, what about you?" Maddie asked, sounding relaxed "same, just sat outside my house" Renesmee revealed before asking what her friend was up to; Maddie explained how she had just finished her homework and had nothing to do as "my guardian is out of town". This confused the half vampire "wait...your guardian is out of town? So you're home alone?" she asked earning a 'yes' "but...for how long?" she asked; Maddie shrugged before realising her friend couldn't actually see her "not too sure, his note didn't give a specific time or date that he would be back" she explained; it didn't appear to help her friend's worry "are you gonna be okay?!" she asked, her concern clear within her voice.

Holding back a fond chuckle, Maddie reassured the slightly older teenager "I'll be fine" she insisted "John normally comes and goes whenever he wants, at least he left me some money this time". Hold on...was this normal for Maddie? She spoke so casually. "Em...alright...if you say so" Renesmee was clearly unsure of what she was hearing but decided to drop it...for now. The two friends spoke about a multiple of things for an hour straight "I better go" Maddie sighed as she stretched her body which was lay on her bed "I need to do some chores". The two teenagers agreed to meet up outside of the school gates tomorrow before saying goodbye and hanging up. With their first concerning conversation still weighing on her mind, Renesmee made her way back inside and returned to her family who had resumed watching TV. "Can I ask you guys something?" she asked as she took a seat on the arm of the sofa; all eyes turned towards the young girl as Emmitt paused the programme "of course sweetie" Edward reassured with a smile "what is it?". Rubbing the back of her neck, Renesmee hesitantly spoke "is it okay for a fifteen-year-old to be left home alone if their guardian is out of town? Even thought out the nights" she asked, earning a few surprised and confused raised brows "em...I guess the answer would depend on how long the guardian is out of town for?" Emmitt reasoned, partly asking for the time that this guardian would be gone. Rubbing the back of her neck, the youngest explained how she didn't know "let's say less than a week?" she reasoned; Bella thought for a moment, humming to indicate she was thinking "well it's not the best thing to do, even if this person is fifteen years old" she explained "they're still classed as a minor and might not be safe, anything could happen whilst their guardian is away". As they were each concerned by the girl's question, Rosalie asked her niece why she was asking such a question "em....well....you see..." she appeared very hesitant to reveal anything to her family "it's just...when I was on the phone to Maddie, she....she said her guardian had left town but isn't sure for how long he'll be gone" she sighed out; the room full of vampires shared looks of concern and worry "said that it was relatively normal and she tried to reassured me by revealing that at least he left her some money for food this time".

Were they even more concerned now that they had the answer? Hell yeah! "If her guardian just picks up and leaves whenever he feels like it, and leaves town, sometimes not leaving her money for food....isn't that neglect?" Alice asked, turning towards the older couple who both was thinking, frowns painting their faces "it is" Carlisle confirmed "try talking to her, see what else she reveals about her home life". Soon followed Esme who had an idea that she believed to be good "maybe...one of you could invite her over for dinner?" she suggested, earning many wide-eyed looks "at least that way we know she's not going without food and is okay". Carlisle, Renesmee, Alice, and Bella agreed to what they were hearing, thinking it to be a great and logical idea. Emmitt, Jasper, Roslie, and Edward? Not so much. "Are you insane?!" Emmitt exclaimed "have a human come here?!" Bella rose a brow as she folded her arms across her chest "why not? I came here when I was still a human" she challenged, sharing a valid point whilst at it; Rosalie rolled her eyes "but you were dating Edward, as well as knew our secret" she fought back "we only just met this girl, and she doesn't even know us". Deciding to speak up, Renesmee pleaded with her negative family members "she's mine, mum's and aunt Alice's friend and we're really worried about her" she begged, making every effort to get what she so desperately wanted: the wide puppy dog eyes and the slightly pouting lips. Such things were impossible to ignore and look past. "Uhh!! Fine" her father groaned out, earning a multiple of victory high fives; Jasper finally spoke up, voicing his concerns "what if her scent becomes too much?" he asked "we can't just kick her out...what if she finds out our secret?" his girlfriend wrapped an arm around his shoulders, stroking his arm as a form of comfort "she won't babe" she reassured "we'll all be careful". Smiling, Esme pulled everything together so that they all understood what was being said "then it's settled" she spoke "if Maddie agrees, she'll come over for dinner and if all goes well - which I believe it will - she can....maybe come over regularly" they all nodded, though some were more hesitant than others.

"Come on you" Bella turned towards her daughter who she had just noticed yawn for the third time within five minutes "time for bed" Renesmee stood from her seat and began to go around the room, giving hugs to each family member as they all said good night before she made her way upstairs to her room with her parents. Deciding to part ways themselves, they group of vampires left to get on with their night: Emmitt started up the Xbox, and Rosalie and Alice went to prepare everyone's outfits for tomorrow. Jasper was hesitant to move, however, which caught his 'parents' attention "you okay Jasper?" Carlisle asked; the young man sighed as he rubbed his forehead "are you sure this is a good idea?" he asked, referring to this previous conversation "don't get me wrong, I want to help this girl as much as you do". There was truth within his voice, was well as worry "if she's really being neglected, she needs help" the couple listened to what Jasper had to say "but you know it's more than dangerous for humans to be out here...near us" Esme placed a hand on her 'sons' shoulder as she reassured him that all would be fine "no one but Renesmee will be left alone with Maddie either". Her husband chipped in for further reassure the younger man "and if you do get that urge, then one of us and just go somewhere else for a bit" he instructed; Jasper nodded, taking a mental note of what he was being told "alright...thanks" and with that, he left to join Emmitt and beat him at Mario Cart....again.

The night passed by quickly and peacefully. Soon enough, it was time for Renesmee to wake up and, much like everyone else, get ready for school. Rosalie helped pick out something to wear whilst Alice assisted with her hair, as well as added a light shade of makeup that wouldn't have Edward glaring at them. Downstairs, Esme, and Bella had cooked some breakfast - porridge with some Nutella and chopped up strawberries "thanks" the youngest teenager smiled as she began to eat "it's delicious!!". Carlisle gave all the vampires a coloured bottle full of blood; he and his wife had prepared them as, with how all the 'kids' had spoken the previous day, they needed the extra help to keep in control of themselves. Especially with this new girl. "Alright, I'll see you all later at school" the doctor stated before turning towards his granddaughter "don't forget, you need to get your friend to come to my stall" he reminded; the girl nodded as she swallowed her mouth full of food "I know, it'll be fine". Afterwards, they all said goodbye to Esme before both her husband and the 'kids' parted ways as they hopped into separate cars; Carlisle needed to make a stop at the hospital to collect some things before going for the career's day. Upon their arrival at the school, Renesmee was the first to climb out of the car as she told her family that she would see them all later before rushing away towards the school gate; it earned a few raised brows in confusion as she normally stayed with the group of vampires until the bell rung. "Where's she off to?" Emmitt wondered, earning a shrug from his brothers; his girlfriend informed the unaware men "she arranged to meet Maddie outside the school gate yesterday whilst they were on the phone". Deciding to leave her to it, the group of couples made their way into the school building and reached their spot within the canteen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 6.4K 40
What if Bella was adopted by the Cullens because of her father's abuse? (Sorry, Charlie) Will Bella and Edward still fall in love? Will Bella become...
119K 2.3K 19
Aisling Cullen is a human adopted by the Cullens. They are a happy, normal family except for the fact that her family are all vampires. She is the re...
141K 3.2K 26
'She is kind but strong, And that is where so many mistake her. They interpret her kindness for weakness And force her to show her strength.' •JmStor...
165K 4K 35
Mom? Dad? They thought I was dead, but they were wrong. They left me, alone to die. I was on my own for three years in a Pennsylvania orphanage, then...