In One Day, I Promise (Legola...

By Hazelnuttyy

After many years of solitude, one loses hope to ever see daylight, ever have hope again. Duathiell has been a... More

Acknowledgements
Elvish Terminology
On Duathiell
1. Duathiell
2. The Palantir
3. The Battle of Isengard
4. A Promise to Myself
5. Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood
6. Hornburg
7. Neth Elleth
8. Small Talk
9. Lady Of Lothlórien
10. Erynriel, Forest Princess
11. I Knew It
12. I am no God
14. The Kings 'Lover'
15. Corsets and Kings
16. The Best Day Of My Life
17. Surprise!
18. Ready To Party
**Book Cover II**
19. Forever The Night
20. No More Tears
21. Never Forget It
22. Always Remember
Glawariel's Diary
23. Living Alone
24. I Feel Safe With You
25. Riz
26. My Name
27. Discovery
28. So Much For That
A Poem For Erynriel
29. Two Sides To Everything
30. Universe
31. I am A Warrior
32. Today We Live!
New Book! +Info
33. For Freedom
34. You Saved My Life
35. Battlewounds
36. Inked
37. Good Day To Be Alive
38. On The Road
39. Reunited at Christmas
40. Starlight at Christmas
40.5. Christmas Extra
41. Conflict
42. Everything Else
43. I Will Wait
44. Yes, I will!
45. Planning
46. You Complete Me
47. Dress Shopping
48. I do
49. Just The Begining
50. Eryn Lasgalen
51. My Queen
52. Just The Beginning
THANK YOU!!
PLEASE READ!
Epilogue

13. Welcome to Mirkwood

4K 147 35
By Hazelnuttyy

Too bright.

I winced in annoyance at the bright morning sun turning the inside of my eyes a pink, fleshy tone. Opening my eyes, I grimaced and raised one hand to my brow, shielding my eyes from the glowing giant.

Wiping away the crust that had formed in the corners of my eyes, I looked around, and felt a greyness seep over me. Not even a darkness, not even black sorrow. Just an unhappy, indifferent, and depressing wash of bleakness. I sighed.

After Celeglim's death, Legolas had urged to move on too quickly for my liking, but I understood deep down that we could not dig a grave and we could not mourn for him, not here anyway. Orcs would come and slay us, as news of the failed ambush would soon reach Mordor. But I couldn't hide my bitterness and guilt that I couldn't bury someone who means so much to me, and who deserves to be remembered, not rotting away as warg-food.

My legs felt heavy, as I stood and rolled my shoulders, preparing for the finale of our disastrous journey. I hope it was all worth it.

"Good morning, Erynriel."

Black against the silhouetting sun, Legolas' blue eyes looked up at me. I looked down at him in what I assumed was indifference, but by the way he rose to his feet and placed an arm on my shoulder, it was probably a look of defeat.

"You wear your heart on your sleeve, melon nîn." He said simply, his voice kind yet pained.

Despite likening myself to a stone-faced warrior, I realised I probably did express my emotions clearly, and I smiled at him despite myself.

He turned away to ready to travel, and I watched the orange sun in the far distance, letting the light soak onto my face, providing a tiny saviour of warmth. The sharp pain of Celeglim's death had settled as a dull throbbing in my heart, and I exhaled slowly.

It was hard not to feel down heartened, as I had finally felt that the wall Orthanc had built around my heart had started to fall. Now, it seemed strong as ever, with the only chipping pick-axe being that in the hands of Legolas, for seeing his smile and his caring blue eyes did make me feel warmer.

"Erynriel." Legolas called. "I know you want to stay, but it really isn't safe out here, he deserves so- "

"I know, Legolas. It's fine, I understand."

As Legolas held his hand down and took mine, pulling me up behind him, I didn't look back. I couldn't look back, for if I looked back I would weep. Settling with a quiet "goodbye" I wrapped my arms around Legolas' waist and looked only forwards. For that is the direction we must strive to go.

Watching the scenery change from flat, barren plains to meadows and forests, I closed my eyes and leaned my head against Legolas' back, as it rose and fell with the movement of his mare. The meadows were full of life and bumblebees the size of my head grazed lazily from plant-to-plant, getting fat and lazy from the nectar.

Rabbits perked up their ears as we rose past, their grey and brown heads popping up, their ears rotating and their noses twitching. A few fled as we galloped by, but most went back to their harvesting of grass, so unaccustomed to others passing by they did not fear us.

The long ride ahead- in which Legolas insisted I didn't have to ride at all- let my brain wander, and I absently remembered something my father had said to me all those years ago:

"Your brain us powerful, because what you think becomes what you say, what you say becomes what you do, what you do becomes who you are and who you are shapes your future."

I had always liked the saying, and had always taken heed to remember it. Although I never really remembered it in times when it would be of use, as calm and collected wasn't really my forte, and that was fine, because my father had always said it made me brave. Still, I didn't think about Celeglim, because that would make me angry and the only person within hurting distance was Legolas, and disforming his face would be a travesty to Middle-earth.

We soon reached the edge of the meadows, as the thick grass gave way to sparse brown dirt, which had little flora at all. The sun was setting as I dismounted, and I stood looking at the forest which Legolas had praised so highly as being his majestic home.

"Is this Mirkwood?" I asked tentatively, eyeing the forest with distrust. It excited me though all the same.

"Yes, although this is the border- it didn't use to be this dead, I had forgotten how bad it had gotten. I haven't been here in a very long time." He said, untacking his loyal steed.

"What are you doing? Is she not coming with us?" I asked, as I placed a hand on her flank, and looked at Legolas. He shook his head sadly.

"She cannot, we must travel on foot, the path is narrow and a horse could easily attract unwanted attention." He said, and I felt a coldness prickly into my heart.

"But don't worry," he added, "we shouldn't find any trouble this near to my father's halls."

He must've read my worried expression, and I nodded in silence, and pressed my forehead against the sleek-furred mare.

"Thank you." I whispered, and she shook her mane and turned tail, galloping back across the meadows. An odd pain spiked in my heart, as I longed to be as free and careless, yet as majestic as her.

We started walking towards the hooded entryway to the forest, when Legolas stopped and turned to me. He took my hand in his, and grasped it between his pale palms.

"Stay alert Erynriel, there are dark forces corrupting this forest, and dangerous creatures lurk under the canopy. Don't let them enter your mind, stay focused. And whatever you do, don't leave the path, for you will never find it again." He said, and I placed my other hand on his, wanting to reassure him I could care for myself.

"I will be fine, Legolas."

"I will make sure of it, I won't let anything happen to you, whether you want my protection or not." He said in seriousness, and I felt a pwang of emotional sensations deep inside me, like a branch snapping back into place after being bent for many years. I smiled, and nodded, as a warmness swept over my cheeks.

The journey was relatively unchallenging, and I struggled to see how anyone could lose the path, but Legolas assured me that people did, and that most of them never escaped. I wondered, after all I had read about Elven magic, why darkness had corrupted this place. It was gloomy, but it didn't feel menacing, it felt safe, yet I knew there were unspeakable creatures lurking, probably not too far away from us. Watching.

A branch snapped.

I whirled around in the direction of the noise, drawing my sword and glaring into the darkness. I could make out a hooded figure, their hand reaching to their quiver. They had not been fast enough.

"Don't." I hissed, determination and adrenaline coursing through me.

Legolas was turned to them too, but he didn't have his bow, and he was frozen in place. I wondered why he had not heard the person approaching. I slowly looked around, to see many more hooded figures had drawn closer, appearing from the shadows.

"Who are you?" I asked, and the initial figure drew further into the gloomy light, and removed her hood. She was a tall elf, and had long brown hair that fell just to her back.

Legolas slowly walked forwards, and immediately the she-elf dropped to one knee.

"My Lord Legolas, my sincerest apologies, I did not know it was you. Daro! Hîr Mirkwood, Legolas." She said, and as if rehearsed, all the other figures bowed deeply, as I sheathed my sword, watching in awe.

Legolas walked over the lady, and smiled at her.

"Maethorhest, you need not bow to me nor apologise, just be wary, my companion is an excelled warrior." He said, friendliness layering his voice.

The lady laughed, and rose to her feet, her companions following suit.

"I can tell, she heard me before you did," she gave him a mischievous grin, "you are getting lax, melon nîn Legolas."

He laughed and dipped his head. Maethorhest came over towards me, and smiled warmly. He kindness and funny nature warranted a genuine smile from me, as she dipped her head to me.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, my name is Maethorhest, Captain of the His Majesty's Guard." She said, and I dipped my head in return.

"Le suilon, Maethorhest. I am Erynriel." I said, and he green eyes sparkled at me, as they widened.

"Your name is beautiful, Erynriel. You will make a fine guard one day; your ear was so quick and your courage is easy for anybody to see. I shall put a word in with the king, if I may?" she said, and I felt honoured at being recognised.

"I would be honoured!" I said, smiling again. She laughed and placed a hand on my hand and Legolas' in hers.

"It is a pleasure to have you both her. We should return, His Majesty will be delighted at your early return and will want to meet your beautiful companion." She said, leading us down a narrow path further into the wood.

I blushed, and Legolas looked and me and smiled, raising one eyebrow in mockery. I shook my head and grinned at the ground, feeling a sense of brightness in my heart. A significant improvement to the gloom that I had felt entering the forest.

My jaw dropped when the gates came into view. They were glorious golden gates, ivy tendrils lacing around them, carved with intricate designs. They were ginormous too, and I imagined heavily armoured and heavy. Legolas leaned down towards me, and grazed his lips near my cheek. I suppressed an awkward shiver, as he whispered in my ear, happiness and eagerness making the whisper rather loud.

"Welcome to Mirkwook."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 745 16
Agardess made the name for herself as Middle-Earth's greatest assassin. She was cold hearted and quiet, never one for saying anything. She was never...
48.6K 1.6K 50
After surviving a terrible attack, Nesseldë finds herself alone in a world ensnared by an ever-growing darkness. She is close to forsaking Middle-ea...
2K 44 11
Y/n is the daughter of Elrond and has been living in Rivendale forever. She never got to leave, since her father was protective over her. Until one d...
176K 4.1K 23
Aearel just found out that Elrond, Lord of Rivendell, is not her real father. He has kept her safe all her life from the truth behind her parents dep...