Keeping Secrets From Brother ✓

By obliviongirl14

Savannah Brewer has lived a tragic childhood. Her father, being desperate for money, sold her to a man for th... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two [Finished]

Chapter Twenty-Five

5.6K 193 34
By obliviongirl14

Chapter Twenty-Five

Justin grabbed the cereal off the table and put it back in the cupboard. I'm happy Justin got some food at the store. I haven't had cereal for breakfast in a long time. Justin sat down next to me and smiled. I can tell he feels happier today.

There was a knock at the door. I looked over to Justin wondering who it would be. He got up and quickly walked over to the door. I leaned back in my chair to see who it was.

Justin opened the door. "Eli, what brings you here so early?" He asked backing up letting him in.

"I have some good news." Eli said.

I got up from the table and walked over to them. "What kind of good news?" I asked.

"Well, I heard you lost your job," Eli said to Justin, "so I pulled a couple of strings with my dad and I got you another job."

Justin glanced over to me like he didn't believe it. "Are you serious?" He asked Eli.

"I'm serious," Eli said. "My dad works in an office as an accountant, they're looking for a janitor there. It's not a great job, but it's better than nothing."

"What's the catch?" Justin asked.

"It's in Peotone, the next town over. It can be temporarily until you find a better job in town. If you want to take it, I'll call my dad up and let him know. You would work from four o'clock to seven-thirty on weekdays."

"Peotone is only a half an hour away; you can tell your dad I'll take the job." Justin said.

"Great," Eli said, "I'll give him a call and let you know when you can start."

"You have no clue how much this means to me." Justin said. He glanced at the clock. "We have to get going." Justin nudged me. "I'll grab your bag."

I nodded and he left the room.

"Did I not say I would handle it?" Eli smiled. "You're welcome."

"I thought you were angry at your dad," I mentioned, "why would you ask him to help you out?"

"He owes me."

"This means a lot to me, and my brother. Thank you." I said.

Justin suddenly handed me my bag. "Let's get going." He said and headed out the door.

I made sure I had Charity's MP3 player in my bag before I went out the door. Eli closed the door behind him and we went in separate cars. Eli left the driveway before Justin started the car. I looked at Justin wondering what he was doing. He gave a content look and shook his head.

"I don't know how many times that kid has helped us out." Justin whispered as he started the car.

"You're going to have to pay him back eventually." I said.

"Yeah, I'll think of something." Justin backed out of the driveway.

I slouched in the seat and wondered what Ray had planned for me today. What more could she possibly do to me? Thanks to Eli, Justin has found another job. Ray will not be able to get him fired where he will be working. That only leaves me questioning her next movement. Hopefully if I put up with her long enough she'll give up this insane dispute.

We made it to school and I was hoping to run into Charity before I walked into the school. She wasn't anywhere to be seen outside. Charity must be inside somewhere. Maybe she's talking to Eli, he did make it here before us. I walked into the school and began looking down each hall. Before I could go down the hall where Charity's locker was, I was pulled to the side. 

"Savannah, did you ask your brother about me?" Nick asked with a serious face.

"Yeah, I asked. He said we used to hang out then you suddenly never talked to me." I said knowing I couldn't remember a thing.

"And you still can't remember me?" He asked upset.

I shook my head. "I'm sorry Nick. I can't remember a lot of things from when I was little."

"I need to talk to you about something, but not here." Nick glanced around. "What are you doing after school?"

I shrugged. "Nothing, but why -."

"Questions later." He interrupted. "I just need to talk to you for a few minutes then you're free to go. Maybe that kid Eli could take us to the park, and then afterwards you can go straight home with him. I'll even ask Eli myself."

"What's this about?" I asked. "Why the sudden change of interest in me? You have never talked to me unless you were accusing me of something."

"Let's just say, I finally got some courage to talk to you."

I became confused. "Were you scared of talking to me before?" I asked.

Nick nodded. "I was, but not anymore." He looked away from me. "I'll talk to you later." Nick walked away.

 I turned around and noticed Eli behind me. Nick had already booked down the hall before I got a chance to see him walk away. I took out Charity's MP3 player and handed it to him before Eli said anything.

"Give this back to Charity for me." I said.

He nodded and stuck it in his sweatshirt pocket. Eli glanced over his shoulder and became confused. "Who were you talking to?" He asked concerned.

"His name is Nick; he's in my first class." I answered as I walked slowly down the hall.

Eli followed beside me. "Was there something he wanted?"

"Nick wanted to talk to me after school. He thought you could give us a ride to the park." I shrugged. "I'm not too sure what Nick wants, he wouldn't tell me."

"Doesn't that seem odd to you? I mean if you need to talk to him I can give you a ride to the park, I guess." He said not too sure. "Although I don't know why he can't talk here."

I shrugged. "Must be something he can't let anyone know about. Nick looks antsy, like he needs to tell me something important." I whispered. "I'll go and talk to him, as long as you can stay and give me a ride afterwards."

"If that's what you want." He said.

"Might as well," I whispered. "I'll see you after class, Eli." I hurried down the hall to my locker.

I quickly emptied my bag of excess books and kept the ones I needed. I glanced around being a little paranoid. No one I knew was around. Now that I know Joe wants to talk to with me, I more nervous than I've ever been. The only way to avoid him is if I have someone with me at all times. I can't be wandering off by myself, at least not for a while.

A hand touched my shoulder and I jerked around to see who it was. I calmed down after seeing Mrs. Hanes. That reminds me; I didn't go and see her after the weekend.

"I'm sorry; I didn't mean to scare you." She smiled and took her hand off from me. "I wanted to remind you to come and see me later."

I shut my locker. "Mrs. Hanes, excuse me for saying this, but I no longer need to come and see you. I am perfectly fine without the sessions."

"I thought you would say something like that. I would like to talk to your parents if you don't mind. I want to run through a couple of things with them."

"I do mind. I don't think that is necessary. My dad is always working and he will not be able to come in and see you." I said getting irritated.

Mrs. Hanes sighed and held out a piece of paper. "If you can get a parent or guardian to sign this then you will no longer have to come and see me. I'm just worried about you Savannah, that's all."

I was about to take the piece of paper but someone else ripped it away from Mrs. Hanes. Justin put the paper up against the lockers and signed his name. He handed it back to her without saying anything. Her eyes glanced at the name and she became confused.

"Who are you?" She asked.

"I am her brother and I give her permission not to do anymore of your sessions." He said with anger.

She was aggravated with Justin's tone. "I need a parent's signature not -."

"I'm the closest thing she has to a parent." Justin interrupted. "Savannah never signed up for it to begin with. So take it or leave it."  

Mrs. Hanes folded up the paper and ignored Justin's rude attitude. "If you need anything, you know where to find me, Savannah." She walked away.

I looked at Justin with confusion. "Where did you come from?" I asked.

"I forgot something in the car; I overheard your conversation and decided to help out. I just saved you from a whole year's worth of lecturing. No need to thank me."  

"Big brother is always there when I need him." I smiled and began walking away. "Oh," I said turning around. "I'm going with Eli after school, so don't wait up for me. He'll give me a ride home later."

"Don't stay out too late." Justin said with a smirk.

I nodded and rushed down the hall to get to my class right before the bell rang. I sat in my seat and Nick turned around to me. He showed a little more confidence in his face this time.

"I asked Eli myself if he could take us to the park and he agreed to it." I opened my notebook. "I have a feeling you're not going to tell me what you want until we get there, am I right?"

"Sorry, I don't want to take any chances. Someone could hear it. You'll find out soon enough." He turned back around.

It has to be important if he doesn't want anyone to know about it. It's going to bother me all day and I won't be able to listen in class. Then again, I usually never do listen in class.

After class Nick separated from me not mentioning anything about later. I walked straight to my next class without looking at anyone. I'm a nervous wreck walking the halls by myself, even if there are witnesses. I know Joe is waiting for an opportunity to pounce; it's only a matter of time.

I walked into the classroom and Eli and Charity weren't in the back. I did fast walk the halls though. I wonder if Eli remembered to give Charity her MP3 player. I ignored the thought and went down the middle aisle to get to my seat. Ray gave a devious smile and I saw a glimpse of her foot stick out. Before I knew it I hit the tiled floor. I should have seen that one coming.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Savannah." Ray said sarcastically. "Are you alright?"

Someone grabbed my arm and pulled me up effortlessly. I pulled away out of habit but noticed it was Eli. He ignored my slight discomfort and looked at Rayann angry.

"You did that on purpose." Eli said.

"I was only pulling my foot in so she wouldn't trip," her voice turned sweet and innocent. "Apparently it wasn't avoided. I swear it was accidental."

Eli looked away and lightly pushed me to go to our seats. I limped to the back table and sat down. I tried ignoring my hatred for Ray and concentrated on what kept hurting me. I pulled my pant leg up and didn't see any cuts. I know I will have a few bruises on my legs. Eli pulled my leg up on his lap. He lightly poked the side of my ankle.

"Does that hurt?" He asked.

"A little."

"Can you move it?"

I moved my foot back and forth slowly. "Yeah, it just hurts."

"The good news is you didn't break your ankle. You must have twisted it when you tripped. It will probably hurt for a couple of days."

I pulled my leg off his lap. "You sound like a doctor." I whispered pulling my pant leg down.

Eli smiled. "My mom has twisted her ankle before, more than once. I know these things." He glanced over to Ray. "You're better off staying away from Ray." He whispered. "It seems like she's getting worse."

"It's hard to avoid her when she's everywhere I go." I said. I looked over at Charity's seat and noticed she wasn't here yet. "Where's Charity?" I asked changing the subject.

He shrugged. "She wasn't in first period." Eli handed me her MP3 player. "She could be running late."

"Maybe." I whispered and slipped the player in my bag. I glanced at Ray and I began getting angry. I stopped myself and looked at Eli. He was staring at me like he wanted to say something. "What?" I asked.

"This sounds strange, but did something happen when you were little?" He asked rubbing his neck feeling awkward.

My heart sank into my chest. "What are you talking about?" I asked keeping calm.

"I talked with Nick after first period and he was asking if I knew anything about when you were little." He whispered. "I was just curious on what he was talking about. To tell you the truth, I really don't know anything about your past."

"There's not much to tell because I don't remember a lot. I don't know what Nick is talking about. He suddenly starts talking to me and accuses me of things, I find him irritating." I said upset.

"Everyone please settle down," the teacher said. "Class is starting."

I cleared my mind from any questions and eased my emotions. This is the only time to wind down before I end up getting mad later.

The whole day I was waiting for Charity to show up, but she never came. Makes me wonder if Justin dropped her off at the right house yesterday. Maybe she wasn't feeling well. I guess I'll have to give her MP3 player back tomorrow.  

I'm a little nervous about going to the park with Nick. I know we'll be out in public, so nothing will happen. It's what he wants to tell me that worries me. Does he know something about me? Why can't I remember him!? Out of everyone I know I'm sure I would have remembered him. Maybe all of my memories didn't come back. No, that can't be it.

I sighed and continued leaning against Eli's car. I only leaned on one leg because my ankle still hurt from Ray tripping me. I noticed Justin's car was already gone. He must have been in a rush to leave. If only Eli and Nick got here sooner. The suspense is killing me.  

The sound of locks unlocking came from the car. I turned around and saw Eli opening the driver's door. Nick got into the backseat without looking at me.

"Sorry it took so long." Eli said.

I opened the car door and got in. "Its fine." I said softly.

Eli started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. I began shaking my leg feeling anxious. I know Eli glanced at me once already. He's probably wondering why I'm so nervous. I took a couple of deep breaths to calm down. It wasn't even a minute later when Eli pulled into the park's parking lot.

"I'll wait here." Eli said awkward.

"I'm walking home from here, so don't wait up for me." Nick said to Eli while getting out of the car.

I got out and left my bag in the front seat. I headed towards a small path, ignoring the slight pain from my ankle. Nick followed behind me silently. We got further away from the car and I waited for Nick to say something. It looked like he was staring in space, as if we were just here to stroll through the park.

"What was it you wanted?" I asked starting the conversation.

Nick stopped and pointed to the bench. "Have a seat." He said.

I sat down and stared up at him. He began pacing back and forth. I think he is more nervous than I am.

"Take your time." I said leaning back.  

He nodded and stopped in front of me. "I'm not sure how you will take this or if you're even going to believe me." Nick paused and took in a deep breath. "I know what Joe did to you and I think I might have had something to do with it." He whispered.

My heart started to race. "You know what Joe did to me?" I asked. "If you know what he did to me, then tell me."

Is he trying to trick me into confessing what Joe did to me? Is this a trap? How would Nick know about it? Did Joe tell his friends about what he did? I wonder if anyone else knows about it.

"You can cut the crap, Savannah. You know exactly what I am talking about." His voice rose irritated.

"How do you know about it? Who told you?" I asked quietly.

"Joe told me what he did the next day. I have this horrible feeling that I was the one who gave him the thought to do it." Nick murmured. "A long time ago when we were friends you told me your father was taking you out into the woods to meet a man who abused you. Your father found out you told me and threatened both of us. That's why I never talked to you until now. You were covered in bruises the next day and I didn't want to cause you anymore pain. I was afraid if I talked to you, you would get hurt."

Did I really tell him about that? I couldn't have. I think I would remember if I told someone my biggest secret! How else would Nick know about it though? My dad and I are the only ones who know about it. Is it possible I could have told Nick and forced myself to forget about it? Was I dwelling on the fear of my father so much I tried to forget I told anyone?

"You're lying." I said. "I never told you that."

"Yes you did. I remember it clearly." Nick argued.

"I don't remember it at all!" I yelled standing up.

"That's because you forced yourself to forget it!" He hollered back. "You regretted that you ever told me and because of it your fear took over. You were so scared you tried to forget about your mistake and you forced yourself not to make any friends."

"I – I don't believe you." I said and began walking away.

Nick pulled me back and forced me to sit down. "Listen to me Savannah. I've got to get this out. Whether you believe me or not is up to you. I need to tell you though; it's been eating me inside. I told Joe about what happened to you when you were little. He told me that made you more vulnerable and easy to work with. Not long afterwards he told me what he did to you."

"I don't want to hear this." I got back up.

Nick pushed me back down. "Sit!" He yelled at me. "It's my fault; it's my fault you got hurt! I gave Joe information that was used for his advantage. I am sorry Savannah."

"How many others know?" I asked crying. "Who else did you tell?"

"No one. Only Joe knows about it."

"Do you know what he can do with that kind of information? He could get revenge on me and tell my dad I told him. Joe can tell my brother about it. I can't let anyone find out." I sobbed. "If my father finds out someone else knows he's not going to let me off the hook that easily."

"I know." Nick whispered. "I needed to tell you."

"Why did you tell him!?" I cried.

"I didn't have a reason." He whispered.

I wiped my tears away and stood up. My hands were a little shaky. "I gotta get back to Eli."

"Did you tell anyone about Joe?" Nick asked. "Your brother or Eli?"

"No, no one knows about Joe and it's going to stay that way, won't it?" I looked at Nick.

"Shouldn't you tell someone?" He asked ignoring my question.

"Don't ever talk to me again. Everything you know stays between us." I took a deep breath and walked back to Eli's car.

Eli was leaning on the hood of the car waiting patiently. I tried making my breathing steady. I don't know if it looks like I've been crying. If it does I'll have to avoid whatever questions Eli has. I'm not even sure what to tell Eli. He'll probably ask what Nick wanted.

Eli stood up straight and stared at me as I went to the car. "You're done talking?" Eli asked.

I nodded. "Let's go." I said and got into the car.

Eli got in and looked at me. "I know it's none of my business, but what did he want?" He started the car.

And there's the question that I don't know how to answer!

"It's not important." I whispered quickly.

"Sorry I asked." Eli said pulling out.

"Sorry Eli, its personal stuff. He didn't want me to tell."

He smiled. "Its fine, like I said it's none of my business."

I didn't say anything back. I just enjoyed the silence in the car as Eli drove me home. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Don't forget to COMMENT, VOTE, FOLLOW, & SHARE! :)  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

960K 57.2K 41
Lia's new neighbor is a thorn in her side. He has a beautiful house that she's watched fall further into disrepair, there are horrible rumors that pa...
662 22 12
13 year old Savannah's life is changed forever when she finds out she and her parents aren't really human. Her Father was sent to Earth years ago to...
338K 9.4K 39
After Amanda found out that what she thought she shared with Sinclair was all a lie, heart broken she ran away and went far away not knowing she car...