Coach's Number One

By LaurenJ22

#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult Unwelcoming teammates. A more-than-friendly swim coach. A swim captain who w... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Harvey & Grace ღღღ
MERRY CHRISTMAS! 🎄🎄🎄
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ashton & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Nineteen
Hayden & Grace ღღღ
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Trailer
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
The Choice: Reader Survey
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
BAD LIAR
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue
Shay... I mean slay 🙌🏼
Darker Than Sin 🖤
Coach's Number One: An Interactive Reading Game
Love in the Deep End is LIVE on Chapters Interactive!

Chapter Twenty Seven

185K 7.3K 3.3K
By LaurenJ22

---------------------

Dedication: A random selected reader who has commented a lot of times! Memoriesofyoux - thanks for being such a great supporter of the story! <3

Recap:

"I'll pick you up," he offered, looking back down at the ground, as if the pavement had become quite fascinating. I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Sounds great," I replied, attempting to appear nonchalant.

He nodded, before continuing. As I walk into the house, a huge smile danced on my lips.

That was an unexpected surprise.

---------------------

I have just shoved my feet into my hideous black leather shoes when I hear the familiar rumble of Hayden's ute.

Brushing my hair back, I step onto my porch, shutting the front door behind me. Although I dress casually going to and from swim practises, I still wear my school shoes, to save carrying another pair on my walk home.

As I slide into the car, my eyes land on Hayden. He is dressed in a tight, black Nike shirt and a pair of denim shorts. His hand is resting on the steering wheel, his other drumming the top of the gearstick softly.

"Morning," I chirp, giving him a broad grin.

"Surprised you're on time," he grumbles, hardly sparing me a glance.

Typical.

"Of course, it's competition day," I smirk.

"Someone's excited," he states dryly, clearly not sharing my enthusiasm.

"Duh."

He rolls his eyes. The short trip to school consisted of me mainly gushing about the competition and Hayden not responding. Once we arrive, I haul my bag with me and fall in step with him.

"Thanks for the lift."

He doesn't reply and I inwardly groan, feeling like a relationship with Hayden is an uphill battle.

"Today's the day," Coach booms once we are all dressed and lined up. Despite the sun coming out early today and blessing us with warmth, once inside the locker room in only a swimsuit, I was feeling the cool air around me. Wrapping my arms around myself, I shift from foot to foot, trying to keep the blood flowing in my body. "Are we ready?"

"Yes Coach," we murmur.

"I said, are we ready?" He asks again, much louder this time.

"Excellent. Let's get swimming!" he claps his hands together and we all shoot forward, eager to get out into the water.

"Ready?" Ashton asks me as I am the last one out of the door.

"You know me," I reply, glancing over my shoulder.

"Born ready, right?" he smirks.

I am quite surprised he was being this playful, considering our last discussion.

"You know it."

Jogging over to the pool, I mount the block and prepare myself. A shiver runs down my spine at the thought of jumping into the pool later today, with crowds cheering and other swimmers to compete with.

I can hardly contain my excitement.

Diving into the pool, I can't stop the smile from fighting its way onto my face.

I am ready to destroy these other swimmers.

***

I bounce on the balls of my feet, unable to keep still.

This was it. The moment I have been waiting for.

There is a shift in the air in locker room this afternoon. Everyone's energy is heightened. The tension is thick as we all stand around, stretching, and doing our own preparation for what is to come.

Sliding the swim team jacket over my shoulders, a satisfied grin settles on my face. It feels as good as I thought it would. I ran my fingers over the soft material, loving the feel of it against my skin.

It is thick, providing me with warmth and rests on the top of my bare thighs. It is navy blue, light blue lines running down the sides, with "Cobras" written on the back in big, bold lettering. Grace Connaway, Byron Elite Private School is etched onto the left breast and I look down in adoration at it.

I am truly apart of the elite team. The team that has been labelled the best in the state.

While I stand, bouncing on my feet, shaking my arms and legs out to stop the nervous jitters, Mia looks like she was meditating, Zach is reading a magazine (he is a sub, which explains why he is so relaxed), David texting, Mike talking to himself, pacing in the corner and Hayden is leaning against his locker, arms folded, headphones jammed in his ears.

"It's time," Ashton announce as he walks in. "Do me proud, Cobras."

We all nod back. We form a line and exit through the door. My heart is galloping inside my chest. I wipe my palms against my legs as I follow David out.

Cheers erupt from the crowd the moment they see Hayden, as he is leading the group. He walks straight over to the bench, ignoring the crowd. Mia, Mike and David, walk out, waving and I roll my eyes at them.

"Grace!" Harvey calls out.

Jogging over to him, I grin. Doing a twirl, I pose. "How do I look?"

"Very legit," he nods with a grin. "How does it feel?"

"So good," I laugh.

"You excited?" he asks with a smile. "You look nervous."

"Oh I'm nervous as hell, but I'm excited."

"You'll do great." he grins. "I'm excited to finally see you in action."

A throat clearing pulled our eyes away from each other. Caitlyn stands there, a slight frown on her face.

"Oh, you know Caitlyn," Harvey states awkwardly.

"Hey Caitlyn," I smile. "Glad you could make it."

"No problem," she replies, her return smile looking slightly forced.

I ignore her attitude and focus back on Harvey.

"Where are you sitting?"

"Over there," he points. "Middle row."

"Okay, cool." I reply, rubbing my hands together. "I better get going. I'll see you after?"

"I'll be here," he promises and I don't miss the flicker of Caitlyn's eyes landing on him.

Turning my back to them, I make my way over to where everyone is huddled together, talking while they stretch. I almost made it, when I feel two heavy hands rest on my shoulder.

"Hey gorgeous," the voice greets and I turn quickly.

"Oh, it's you."

"Hey!" Ryan defends with slight protest, placing a hand theatrically over his heart. "That's no way to greet me."

"Sorry," I laugh with a grin. "I didn't expect you."

"Thought I would come to wish my favourite girl on the swim team good luck," he tells me with a flirtatious smirk.

"Oh, you're so thoughtful."

He smirks again. "Knock em' dead."

"Plan on it," I nod.

With one last smile, he saunters off.

As I walk over to the group, Hayden's glare catches me off guard. I blink, halting my movements. He looks away from me, letting out a sigh. I internally groan. This boy is doing my head in.

The other swimmers enter the pool area and all of us stiffen. The tension is quickly accumulating around us, which becomes more noticeable when glares exchange between everyone.

Two boys, much taller than me, stroll over. They stand proud and Mike mutters something to Hayden, causing Hayden's fists to clench at his sides.

"Hello Cobras," one of the boys' grins, his eyes flickering over us. "Pleasure to compete with you again."

"Fuck off, Taylor," Mike barks, surprising me. "Don't start your shit with us."

His grin broadens. "That's no way to speak to your opposition."

Hayden pivots, turning his back on the two boys.

"You're awfully quiet, Captain," he continued his tone pestering. Even Mia is tense as she silently observes the scene before us unfold. Hayden doesn't respond and gazes out to the pool. "Carrie says hi."

Everyone grows silence and my eyes are glued to Hayden. He stiffens, before unclenching his fists and physically letting out a breath. He is obviously trying not to get riled up.

"Just playing around man," the guy laughs, a look of glee flashing in his eyes. They turn and land on me. His smile drops for a moment. "And who's this?"

I jutt my chin out, meeting his eye. "Grace."

"Connaway?" he finishes, his eyes glancing over to Hayden. "I've seen you swim before."

I quirk my eyebrow in response.

"Mia," he nods and she gives him a small smile back.

"Well, this has been fun," he counters with a grin. He walks from us before he pausing. "Connaway, care for a bit of fun tonight after the party?"

Hayden spins around abruptly.

"No thanks," I reply.

He was hoping for a reaction out of Hayden and he got it. He must have assumed something was going on, due to my comparison to Carrie.

"Shame," he coos with a fake frown. "The name's Taylor by the way, in case you wanted to know."

He leaves us then and David let out a deep breath. "That guy is an asshole."

"You don't say," I reply.

"You right, man?" Mike asks in a low voice.

Hayden turns his back to us once more, stalking back into the locker room. Taylor laughs loudly, glancing over at us and I let out a sigh. This is not how I wanted to start my first comp.

The drama that had just unfolded has everyone on edge. We all watch Principal Mathers' introduction, our stances tense, our postures stiff.

The first heat is called and I wait nervously for mine. What feels like seconds later, the announcer called for my age group for the 50m freestyle.

I feel sick. My stomach churns as I slide the jacket off. My hands tremble as I fold it neatly onto the bench. My legs are stiff when I walk to the mounting block. It feels like it has been so long since I swam in competition.

My mouth is dry as I force my swim cap over my head and settle my goggles over my eyes. The sound of the crowd and the distant "Go Grace", which I assume is Harvey, fades away as I focus on the water. My heart is slamming inside my chest as I stand on the block, preparing for the dive.

"On your mark," the announcer voices the famous line. "Get set."

Then I hear the beep.

I dive aggressively into the pool, propelling myself forward with as much intensity as I can muster. My hand slaps the cool tiles and I emerge, feeling breathless. I stare around me and let out a breath of relief as I finish first, easily.

The crowd is screaming as my ears tune back into my surroundings. A satisfied grin lights up my face as I lean back onto the tiles, feeling relieved that my first race is over.

I pull myself out of the pool and the lady that timed me gives me a smile, before handing over the blue stick, indicating first place. I thank her before moving over to the bench and wiping myself down.

After gulping down some water, I sit on the bench, still feeling breathless from the race. I watch Mia stand when they called the breaststroke, for the year younger than me. My eyes bulge out of my head as I watch her mount the block.

What!?

How had I not noticed that in the freestyle race?

My mouth is dangling open as she raced. All this time, I had been preparing to verse her, trying to beat her times and she wasn't even in my age group. She must be young for our year.

I bite my lip as I watch her lead the race and end with winning. I wonder, for a moment, whether it was a blessing in disguise that she wasn't in my heat. I would have been beyond humiliated if she beat me, in front of the entire school. Especially in front of Ashton and Hayden.

Even though my main rivalry isn't there, I still push myself to go as fast and hard as possible throughout my breaststroke race.

I come in first place for all my races, in every length.

I felt euphoric as adrenaline courses through my veins. I've never felt so pumped and so alive. This is why I love swimming. I love the feeling of the water against my skin. I love the feeling of the blood pumping through my veins. The whole thing is a high for me and I can't get enough of it.

"You are amazing," Ryan breathes, wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I don't think he is even allowed over here, but no one seems to call him out on it.

"Thanks," I reply a little breathlessly, pleased he complimented my swimming, not my looks for once.

"I assumed you were good, just not that good," he grins.

I beam at his praise.

"Good job guys," he says, finally moving his arm from me. "You are seriously killing it."

A few respond and he talks to them for a while, before throwing a wink over his shoulder at me, as he returns back to his spot on the grandstand.

"You're swimming awesome," I say to Hayden as he walked past me. "I'm feeling really confident for the relay."

As Mia and I are the only girl's on the team, we don't have enough to form a relay team. Due to our fast times, we have been put into a co-ed relay.

"Are you?" he asks, his voice quiet.

"Yeah, definitely," I reply with a nod. "Aren't you?"

"I would be if you weren't pining after Ryan every five minutes," he snaps harshly, his eyes darkening. "I don't want you swimming in the relay if you're distracted."

My mouth falls open as I stare at him. "Get over yourself, Hayden. He was the one coming over to me, not the other way around. Just because you're jealous, doesn't mean you can be an asshole and discredit my swimming."

He faces twisted into a scowl. "I'm not jealous."

"Sure acting like you are," I retort, before stalking away from him, my cheeks burning in anger.

I hate that he acts like this. It's plain childish.

Letting out a huff of air, I sit, annoyed with Hayden for making my high subside. I force his words from my mind and try to focus back onto the competition and where we are up to.

I scan the crowd, looking for mum but can't see her. There are a lot of people here, she could be blending in. I repeat that line over in my mind, in an attempt to rid the sinking feeling of disappointment that is growing heavier in my chest.

Digging through my bag for my phone, I have two missed calls from mum and seven texts from Harvey. I don't have time to call her back, so I go straight to Harvey's messages.

Harvey: You're incredible!

Harvey: Seriously you're actually so good.

Harvey: All right, now you're just showing off.

Harvey: Ew, why is Ryan drooling over you?

Harvey: And why does Hayden look so pissed about it?

Harvey: Am I missing something here???

Harvey: Dinner after the comp?

I laugh softly at the multiple messages he sent me.

Grace: Thanks man, appreciate it. Long story, I'll explain later. Dinner sounds good. Will Caitlyn be there?

I don't want Caitlyn to go to dinner with us. Harvey's my best friend, she isn't. I'm happy for them to go to dinner together, but when Harvey and I have dinner, it should be just us. I shake my head at my own thoughts. I am being unbelievably selfish.

The relay is called and I shove my phone back into my bag and getting to my feet. I rub my hands together as I watch everyone gather in their groups.

I am swimming first. I am doing the first lap, then David, then Mia, with Hayden as the anchor. I am used to being anchor, as I was captain at my old school, but things are different here and I have to respect that. At least it is Hayden. He is by far the best swimmer. There isn't anyone better to take the position, really.

"Ready for your inspirational pep talk when you are," I smirk to Hayden as I join the others, ignoring the little argument we had before.

He met eyes with mine briefly, before rolling them into the back of his head.

"Hayden? An inspirational pep talk?" David echoes with a laugh. "I'd pay to see that."

"We got this guys," I say, taking over. "We're smashing them."

"Their relay team are very good," Mia replisd, her voice quiet and thoughtful as she looks over to the group that are on Taylor's team. I am surprised that she responded to me without saying something hurtful or rude. I didn't think Mia would be threatened by the other team.

"So? Ours is better," I snort, placing a hand on my hip. "Don't let that Taylor idiot get into your head."

"Idiot? Ouch." A voice says behind me and I groan.

"Can you go away?" I ask, moving my hands in a forward motion. "We're having a Cobra team meeting over here."

"Gladly," he remarks, his slick, sarcastic smirk on his face. "May the best team win."

"Yeah, you can count on that," I whip back instantly.

"Feisty," David smirks as Taylor thankfully leaves.

"Come on guys, we're literally beating them at everything. This will be no different," I state, falling into my old captain role faster than I could blink. "We are everything they strive to be, without even having to try. Let's go kick their ass and leave a bloody good print on it when we do."

They all stare at me, speechless.

"What?" I ask slowly.

Hayden laughs and I refuse to believe his expression is actually impressed.

"Nice."

I smirk. "Maybe I'm a better captain than you?"

"Don't push it," he replies with a small smile as the announcer calls us to the mounting block. I stride over to the block confidently, my back straightening.

"Break a leg, Connaway," Taylor grins, a cocky smirk dancing on his lips.

"Same to you," I smile sweetly.

By now, I have kicked my nerves to the curb. I sm fuelled and ready to kill this. I gripped the edge of the mounting block as I prepare. Once hearing the signal, I tskr off in the water. I kick as fast as I can. It feels like mere seconds later that I am tapping the wall with far too much aggression.

David dives over the top of me. I let out a breath as I pull myself from the water. I watch and take note that we are in first, but Taylor's team, the Eagles, are catching up pretty fast. I furrow my brows as I watch the girl get closer and closer to David.

We have beaten them so much today, how have things reversed so quickly?

We are still in front, only just, when Mia elegantly dives in.

I watch with increasing concern as the other guy on their team and Mia become neck and neck. The other teams are not a threat. It is just the Eagles. I gulp as the guy inches forward, in front of Mia.

"Hayden," I say to him as I quickly make my way around to the other end of the pool. "You got this."

"I know," he says flatly, looking completely unfazed. "No need for the inspirational shit with me."

I roll my eyes. "Cocky as ever."

"Only way to be," he taunts, before climbing onto the block.

The moment Mia's fingers scraped against the tiles, Hayden is off. Taylor is the anchor, of course, and is already ahead. The more I watch Hayden, the more my uneasiness evaporates. His movements are strong and precise. He caught up, effortlessly, before overtaking. I let out an embarrassing squeal as he jets forward, increasing the gap between him and Taylor by the second.

When his tanned arm flies out of the water and his hand hits the tiles, I let out a loud whoop, doing a little dance of victory.

We won.

Ashton, who had been off to the sides observing most of the day, emerges, a ginormous grin etched onto his face. He bangs his hands together, alongside the grandstand. The cheers are loud. I can't wipe the smile off my face, even if I tried.

My first competition, done and dusted. I couldn't be more proud of myself. I was happy that my hard work and long hours of training had paid off. I feel the best I've felt in the last two weeks.

After we all exchange high-fives and send victorious smirks in Taylor's direction, who had been much quieter after the relay, we all towelled off.

Mike had called some things out to Taylor but he ignored us. Clearly, he is a sore loser.

I went over to the sidelines and Harvey engulfs me in a giant bear hug. I hug him tightly back, before stepping back.

"Look who's here," he says to me with a grin.

Mum steps around him, with a bright smile on her face. I quickly step forward and wrap my arms around her. Probably a little too tightly. She hugs me just as hard and tears spring to my eyes.

"You were so great!" she gushes proudly. "I can't tell you how proud I am of you, darling."

My cheeks began to ache I am smiling that much. "You made it!"

"I said I would," she smiles.

"I'll see you in a bit," Harvey said to me as he places his hand on the small of Caitlyn's back. They walk away from us and I look away from his hand quickly.

"Wow, is that your Coach?" Mum asks, her eyebrows raised.

"What? Oh, yeah," I mumble distractedly, looking over at Ashton, who is not-so-subtly looking back at us.

"He's quite... something, isn't he?" she laughs.

"Yeah," I mutter, ignoring the fact that my mum thinks the guy I've hooked up with is hot.

"I'm going to go see him and introduce myself. I should thank him for letting you on the team."

"What? No, you don't need to do that," I blurt but it is too late. She had her hand wrapped around my arm and dragging me towards him before I can protest any further. He excuses himself from the man he is talking to and wanders over to us, a pleasant smile on his face.

This is not happening.

"Hello Grace," he greets. 

"Hello, I am Vera Connaway, Grace's mother," she beams, throwing her hand out. They shake hands and I want to bury my head into the cement below my feet and not come out until everyone has left.

"I thought you were going to say sister," he teases, his voice light and flirty. I'm sure the expression on my face is as mortified as I am feeling.

She let out a laugh. "Oh please. I just wanted to introduce myself and say thank you for accepting Grace onto the team. You've done well to keep her in shape. I think her swimming has improved, which is great."

There she goes, acting like a mother who is actually present in my life and keeps track of what I am doing. Little did she know, Ashton knew all about her absence in my life.

"We are more than happy to have Grace on the team. She is a wonderful addition."

Wonderful? I give him a deadpan look, telling him to back off, but his grin only widens.

"That's good to hear. I'm glad she's settling in so well."

"Okay mum, let's go now," I insist through gritted teeth.

"Grace, don't be rude," she hushes me and looks back at Ashton.

I groan, wanting to face-palm myself. Ashton and I are not on good terms. He just has to say one wrong thing and she would put two and two together. I realise that if he did say anything, he would be compromising his own position at school, but I am still growing nervous the longer we were standing here.

"Vera Connaway, is that you?" Principal Mathers asks as he walks by.

Great. Anyone else want to join the party?

They launch into a conversation about the fundraiser mum participated in for the school and I sigh, shifting my weight from the left foot to my right. I note that the situation involving Mia and myself are never brought up.

Ashton steps away and nods his head, indicating for me to do so as well.

"You swam really well today," he praises in a low voice. "The relay was excellent."

"Thanks," I reply earnestly even though I am still uncomfortable with everything that is happening right now. "You didn't think they were going to get us at the end?"

"No, not with you leading and Hayden as the anchor," he assures me.

The mention of Hayden has us both awkwardly look away from each other. I step back closer to mum and ignore the slight frown Ashton is now wearing on his face.

"Hey Grace, are you ready?" Harvey calls and I want to run over and hug him for saving me.

"Oh, would you look at that," I say to mum with a fake sigh. "I have to go."

"Oh," she replies, looking a little disappointed I couldn't "join in" on the conversation any longer.

Finally dragging her away, she continues to tell me that I did great and she would see me later tonight.

"I didn't know your mum was coming tonight," Harvey says as he, Caitlyn, and I walk out of the locker room.

"I didn't say anything in case I jinxed it," I inform him honestly. "I was surprised as you that she actually made it."

Turns out, Caitlyn is joining us for dinner. I force a smile onto my face. 

She seems lovely. I'm just possessive and want Harvey all to myself. I proceed to remind myself that I made this happen and I need to be happy for him, despite the pointed looks and frowns she keeps sending my direction. She's probably equally as thrilled about me being there, as I about her.

We make our way over to Harvey's car and I stop, my eyes glued on the back of Hayden. He walked towards his car, before slinging his gym bag into the back tray, before doing up the tarp. Mia laughs at something he says, before sliding into the passenger seat.

I clench my teeth and stomp around to the passenger side, to see Caitlyn already there.

With a sigh, I go to the back and climb in.

Apparently, Harvey isn't the only one I don't like sharing.

-----------------

First competition done! (I hope you appreciated the long chapter!) What do you think of everything that happened?

Thank you for your response for the survey! I love hearing everyone's thoughts and opinions. It's really helpful for me!

Please vote if you liked it, comment your thoughts and share with your friends if you think it's worth recommending! I love the support you guys are giving me for this story. Makes me so inspired to keep going. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 521 28
After a tragic event, she decides to change the way she lives her life as she has no other choice but to live with her sister and her husband. Her pa...
106K 7.8K 79
In the day-to-day trenches of high school, it is almost the default-setting to believe we are the main character of our own coming-of-age story. Thi...
686K 28.5K 36
Diana is looking forward to finally finishing high school. Stay out of trouble. Focus only on art. This is Diana's grand plan - until she is assigned...
2.1K 150 23
Two girls. At school they're total opposites. The cheer captain and the loaner geek. But at home, life isn't all as it's seems. And one teacher, and...