All Alone

By Experiment51

Avianna's life was in a constant downward spiral, each obstacle surpassing the last. As a girl who lost the a... More

All Alone
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue

Chapter 9

65 3 1
By Experiment51

Why does avoiding people have to be so difficult? Honestly, if I bolt out of a classroom to avoid interacting with you, I probably don't want to sit down and chat with you! What makes certain humans so stupid or rude? If I had a dollar for-

Schnitzel, I started mind ranting again.

"Mutie, do you have a pencil?" Blondie started jabbing a pencil into my side, successfully derailing my train of thought, and any focus that I had on the board. I look at the pointy weapon that had been assaulting my fractured rib a second ago, and then up to him.

"Not for me, for that numb-nut", He pointed at the Stoic Brownie, who merely shrugged at me. Returning my attention back to Blondie, I shake my head. I never bring extra supplies to school, I also never lose anything at school.

"Sorry Luke, write with a stick or something." Could the teacher not hear any of this? With Ginger glaring at me and Blondie poking me, I was getting more than a little pissed, though you couldn't tell by my facial expression. Grabbing my phone I text a simple message to Mr. Q, "SOS".

Mr. Q seized all motion at the board and checked his phone, giving no mind to the curious class, "Sorry guys, that was the front office, Avianna, they need to see you." Like I said before, I like this man. After quickly packing up my stuff, I exit the room, grabbing a pass off of Mr. Q's desk. I could feel the guys glaring at my retreating back. Sorry not sorry.

The hallways were silent besides the occasional pitter patter of footsteps, more likely than not a student using the restroom. The teachers that I ran into merely nodded at me before hurrying away, I assume to the break room. I was not quite certain where to go now that I has escaped Physics, but there had to be someplace that would speak to me.

While taking another lap around the building, a pair of red doors caught my eye. The shade on the door frames was akin to a firetruck, which was a welcome contrast to the dull gray on every other door. After cautiously opening the slat of wood, I slide into the seemingly abandoned classroom.

Wires hung from the ceiling, each one held a picture or painting. Similar pieces of art lined the walls, each depicting a different tragic scene. Why did a room have to be so depressing? Maybe someone had accommodations too, and this was a healthy outlet for whatever challenges they faced in life. Whatever this room is, there is no denying the intrigue that comes with the uncharted territory, and I had nothing better to do than sit in a corner and draw.

After the class bell rang, I looked down at my handiwork, a picture of two girls. One was slightly younger than the other and had little ribbons in her pigtails, and the other was another youth that looked around eight. They were smiling, and I wish that I could return to that time when everything was so simple, before my sister was ripped away from me.

*************

I was able to meet back up with Kaylee before we headed to the next torture site, AP Calculus. This was another class that Kaylee and I did not share, so after she introduced me to the teacher, she blended back into the hallways, leaving me stranded. The teacher seemed to be a stick in the mud, or rather a thorn in my side. A short stout woman stood at the whiteboard, and I could tell that she was going to make me introduce myself. Ms. Harold scowled at me when Kaylee exchanged pleasantries, I don't think she likes the idea of a mute in her class.

I sat in a secluded seat in the corner of the room, apparently, nobody wanted the rundown desk. After running my fingers over the graffiti tarnished wood a few times, I heard somebody clear their throat. Once I looked up, I realized that they were clearing their throat at me. Here I thought they were coughing up a hairball.

"Hey there, you must be new. That is my desk, so I would love it if you could move yourself to another seat", the ticked off dirty blonde was scowling at me, though her glares did not make me very understanding. I was told that this desk was unwanted, and she seemed like the type of person to humiliate a new girl.

"Whitney back off, you know that isn't your seat, and the captain of the girl's soccer team should set a good example", a tall brunette came to my aid, and I couldn't help but feel grateful to the pixie. I dubbed my rescuer as pixie due to the short haircut that was framing her face, that and the fact that her features were so delicate.

"Whatever Olibia, I was just trying to make sure that fresh meat understood her place, no need to get all passionate about something besides your pom poms." Whitney held her arms up in a V, as if mocking a cheer leading pose. What a witch with a capital 'B'.

"Just buzz off Whitney, we both know that I am smarter than you, so don't take your inferior rank out on the squad. Not my fault that the guys like cheerleaders more." I like this girl.

The bell rang before Whitney could make a comeback, so she settled for a dirty look, and then walked up to the front of the room, sitting in her real seat with a sulking thud. She seems to be a girl I should avoid like the plague.

"Sorry about her, she is being even more sour than usual. She isn't usually that rude", Olibia rubs her neck uncomfortably, then extends her hand towards me. "My name is Olibia, but most people call me Libby. What's your name?" Grabbing my whiteboard, I scribble a short sentence in hot pink. 'Avianna, but I have been told that Avi is more fun to say'.

"Nice name, I take it you are the mute girl? Don't worry about Ms. Harold by the way, she is grieving her husband's recent departure, and she spends most of her time in the break room drinking coffee."

'Did her husband pass from a disease?'

Libby stifles a laugh at my response before managing to get out, "Nah, he left her sorry behind after he got tired of her insulting him too much." Well that sucks, but Libby seemed to think that she deserves it.

Libby was right about Ms. Harold not being an issue, she didn't really teach the class, after passing out a couple of worksheets, she left the room, leaving some know-it-all at the board. I never had to introduce myself.

***********

Soon our time in Calculus was up, and Libby waited for me to pack my stuff before walking to the door, where Kaylee was patiently waiting.

"Hey, Avi! Oh, hey Libby, how's the squad doing? I heard you guys finally made state, the routine must be killer." Kaylee's pink ponytail was swishing about, and it didn't take a rocket-scientist to realize that Libby was a cheerleader.

"We are doing really well Kaylee, I saw that the volleyball team made it to state as well, I think that our sports programs are really taking off!" I follow behind the two athletes, more than pleased that the two girls got along. They both seemed genuinely sweet, a rare trait to me.

"Avi, do you want to sit with me at lunch? Kaylee has to go and practice some more, but we have the same period. I can meet you by your Art class if you want." Libby's request took me by surprise, but I didn't hesitate before nodding. I needed all the support I could get at this school, because it was a pleasant change to actually have people to converse with, and not just sit in solitude.

'That would be nice', I write on the board, thankful for the means of communication. Kaylee and Libby finally parted ways, and my buddy finished escorting me to Art class, where I was met by an eccentric old man.

"Hello Avianna, my name is Mr. Winston and I will be your Art teacher for the remainder of the year, you can go sit at any empty desk, we believe in freedom of expression during my class." I don't know what freedom of expression has to do with my seat, so I just sat down by the window. We had gone up to the second floor, and the view from my seat was amazing. I dread the fact that I will be sharing the table, as some students are not as kind as Libby and Kaylee.

My discomfort was validated when one of the Ms. Snooty boys sat down beside me. This one was yelling at me earlier, the blue-eyed one with dark brown hair. The odor from his cologne nearly took out my nostrils, and I forced back a gag; this guy was trying way too hard. 

"Hey Mutie, are you ever going to answer Logan's question?" 

I look at him like he is an idiot, and he seems to understand. 

"He was the guy that asked if your name is Avianna, and you were being a Witch with a capital B, refusing to nod or shake your head, ring any bells?" I nod quickly, curious as to why somebody like him would be in art.

"So is your name Avianna or what?" I nod again, there is no reason for me to try beyond that, this guy is not somebody that I want to socialize with.

"My name's Aiden, and I just wanted to tell you to watch out. Outsiders have to earn their place at this school", his teeth grit together, and I decide on a nickname. Shower dial, or hot-n-cold. Showers have the temperamental faucets, that will either cause third degree burns, or frost bite, and he was most certainly as extreme as the stupid settings. This dude had not really taken the effort to know me, and I can't help thinking back to my status at my old school.

The prissy mute, a girl that is so high and mighty she refuses to talk. I would hear whispers in the hallways, saying stuff like, "She should know that no amount of designer skirts will make friends, nor will any amount of plastic surgery fix that scowl." Lots of people would comment on my neck scar, spreading rumors that it was a party gone wrong and that I was hoeing around with somebody else's boyfriend, making them cut my throat.

I personally think that the backstory was a little too extreme.

"So are you going to get started on the assignment daydreamer?" I was snapped out of my thoughts by hot-n-cold's pissed tone of voice. Without reacting or responding to the provoke, I look at the whiteboard and begin the assignment. I knew exactly what to draw for this prompt.

'Draw your biggest pet peeve or representation of your anger, this will be due next class'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

234 26 15
Do you ever get the feeling like your own best friend is about to brutally dismember your reputation without even realizing it? Well.. Basically a st...
14.2K 1.8K 45
Growing up with a nickname like Misery can seem like the worst thing to happen to a girl. That is, until you find out that your father is a serial ki...
86 13 13
Kaden is stuck, in a world her parents created. One where she has to be perfect otherwise she is a disappointment. We are all sinners except Kaden ap...
487 8 32
High School sweethearts to Enemies to Co-Parents to Forever She has been through hell and back He has seen her go through hell and back He is her b...