The Lucky One(Riley depressio...

By itzawho

Riley's been too tired and Farkle's too aware to fall for that lie. Now, it's up to him and the rest to help... More

Sad smiles
Why?- Chapter 2
Chapter 3-Mr. and Mrs. Matthews
A day off-chapter 4
Chapter 5: Rain
Chapter 6: Sleep
Chapter 7:Breakfast
Chapter 9: Better
Chapter 10: Dinner

Chapter 8: Take on the world

1.3K 32 8
By itzawho

''You can't keep running away, Riley''

He called out just before she took her last step out of the classroom. Taking a deep breath and staring ahead at Maya and Farkle's knowing glances, all she could do was remain where she was.

''Dad, I don't want to talk about it right now-''

She could hear his footsteps getting nearer, and still her feet refused to move. ''Then when?''

''We'll be right here'' Maya assured, leaning against the lockers and sending her a small grin. Farkle nodded, a comforting smile on his own lips. ''Always''

That gave Riley enough courage to turn on her heel, closing the door to the classroom and facing what she had hoped to avoid for as long as possible. Her father's face wasn't as easy going as it had been only minutes before during class; instead the lines across his forehead became visible and the dark bags under his eyes suddenly grew visible.

Riley tucked her dark hair behind her ear, nervously tugging on the end of her shirt. ''What do you want to talk about?''

''You know what this is about'' her dad inhaled deeply. ''We know you went to Farkle's yesterday?''

She rose an eyebrow. ''How?''

''He called us last night about an hour after you left'' he gulped. ''Riley, your mother and I are trying to understand, we really are''

''I know'' she murmured.

''Please, tell us what we can do to help you. I know we've made mistakes parents shouldn't do, but we need to know what we can do to make it all better''

With shaky hands, she admitted something she'd held in. ''I don't know, dad''

''what do you mean?''

Before she could realize what was happening, she bursted out in tears, feeling a knot in her throat. It was as if everything those simple words had triggered everything she'd held in, which she didn't think was possible since she'd spend too many nights crying her heart out.

''Sweetheart,'' her father called out, grabbing her shoulders.

She ran into his arms, wrapping her arms around him as tightly as she could. And she wept, wept into his suit like a small child. He didn't say anything at first, all he did was hold her close, resting his head on top of hers. She hadn't realized just how much she missed those rare embraces, just how much her dad could make everything better simply doing that.

Riley sniffed, cheek resting against his chest. ''I don't even know what I can do to make it all better. I hate it that I have to make you and mom have to deal with this''

''We're not dealing with this'' she could hear his voice crack. ''We're taking care of you because we love you more than anything''

''I screamed at mom and ran away'' she choked, feeling more tears fall. ''She was trying to help me, and I didn't want to listen''

''She told me what she said, and we both agreed some of it was insensitive'' her father pulled away, and grinned slightly as he wiped the tears off her face. ''It wasn't all your fault''

''Dad, I'm sorry for everything'' Riley murmured. ''I know it hasn't been easy for you either''

''Come back home?''

She nodded, sniffing. ''Yeah, I'll come back''

With one last hug, her father placed a kiss on her forehead. ''I love you a lot, Riles. You'll always be my princess''

''I love you too, dad'' she smiled, before walking out and being greeted by her best friends. Laughing slightly and blinking away any remaining tears, she nodded. ''It's okay now''

''that's good, Riles'' Maya hooked her arm around hers while Farkle simply observed with a grin. ''Think of it as one step closer to happy Riley''

xxxxxx

The drive to their apartment was terrifying, almost unbearable to Riley as she sat in the passenger's seat of her dad's car. Although her dad had tried to distract her with small talk, even trying to assure her that it would all be fine, she couldn't help but feel anxious.

After all, she'd pushed away the woman who'd brought her into the world, and there was no excuse for that.

What if she didn't forgive her?

What if her mother gave up on her already and refused to acknowledge her anymore?

Deep inside of her she knew they were foolish hypothetical scenarios she was making up, but she couldn't even trust herself anymore. How could she possibly redeem herself after that?

As her dad pulled out the key to the apartment, Riley took a deep breath and surprise to find her mother sitting on the couch with a dull expression across her features. However, once she laid eyes on her, she instantly jumped up with wide eyes.

''sweetheart, are you okay?''

''W- what?'' was all Riley could manage to say.

''Listen, I know I said horrible things yesterday, but believe me, I was just trying to make things better-'' her mother took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a second. ''A mother is supposed to fix things, and I've realized I haven't done that''

''Stop, please'' Riley whimpered, running to her and embracing her tightly. ''I'm sorry I've been horrible to you, mom, it's not your fault''

''I should've been there for you more; I should've asked you about how you were feeling'' her mother's sweet voice said in sorrow. ''I should've made more time for you and Auggie''

''Mom,'' she cried out, feeling her eyes water. ''I promise to try harder''

''Oh, my precious baby'' Topanga stroke her hair, as the feeling of her dad's arms around them both brought a sense of warmth. ''We'll get through this together''

''really?''

''It's the three of us taking on the world together''

xxxxxx

''What's her name?''

Shawn smiled widely, holding the newborn baby girl in his arms. Cory, who's arm was wrapped around a tiresome Topanga on the hospital bed, grinned. ''Riley Shawna Matthews (Author's note: HOW IT RIGHTFULLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIGHT ME ON THIS)''

''Seriously, Core?'' Shawn rubbed his fingers against her tiny, soft hand. ''She's beautiful''

''thirteen hours of labor was worth it'' Topanga beamed, staring at her baby girl while grasping Cory's hand.

Her husband nodded, leaning his head against hers.

Shawn walked towards them, gently placing the stirring baby in Topanga's arms. ''Well, Riley, you're very lucky to have the two best people in the world as your parents''

''aw, Shawny'' Cory pretended to blush, while Topanga simply rolled her eyes with a chuckle.

Placing a kiss on her baby's forehead, the twenty-two-year-old woman could feel a pure love she'd never experienced before just staring down at her child.

''Oh, Riley'' she began, as the two men directed their attention towards her. ''You're going to be such an amazing girl when you grow up''

''And don't forget about how much mom and dad love you, alright?'' Cory spoke, kissing her tiny hand with a smile. ''You'll always be our world no matter what''

That cold, November night in New York had never been more beautiful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 2.4K 25
Riley left New York when Lucas decided to give Maya a chance. After two years away, she comes back, changed and ready. Riley finds her ex best friend...
Taken By Natasha

Fanfiction

9.7K 340 31
Part 1 When you think of Riley Mathews you think of someone who has everything. What happens when an endgame couple isn't endgame after all? One thin...
148K 3.7K 11
π„πŒππ“π˜. ❝ i never thought i could feel like this, even after you've broken my heart. ❞ π…π€ππ…πˆπ‚π“πˆπŽπ π†πˆπ‘π‹ πŒπ„π„π“π’ π–πŽ...
77.9K 3.3K 25
"He's dangerous, Riley. Stay away from him." After a summer vacation to his hometown, Lucas has never been the same again. He's been aggressive towar...