The Checklist

Oleh Nickymb

"These rules," he says, gingerly cupping my cheek. "This list, this idea, this fantasy you have of the perfec... Lebih Banyak

The Checklist
Rules and Badboys
Get your flirt on
Flirting with disaster
He loves the way you lie
Honesty is like heartbreak, it hurts
He hates when you Judge a book by it's cover
The boy who does not send smileys
I look bad in red, white, and blue

One of 'those' boys

12.2K 520 83
Oleh Nickymb

Let me get one thing out there before I continue this book. 

On the right you will see that I placed in the Humor category. That's because this books is funny, silly, and out-there. I never plan my books, only know how I am going to end them. The journey there is unplanned because, well, plans suck. 

I've realized that this book is going to be something very familiar and yet different for me. I am going to pull all the aspects of my story My Girl (The humor, the antics) and bring in serious, heartwentching moments from my story My Badboy. 

Either way, this book isn't going to be all humor. It's not going to be all deep and thoughful either. Is going to be the perfect blend of both. So if you start to read this and want to roll your eyes, thinking it's cliche', don't. I might have those moments, but I try to steer it in another direction. 

Hopefully, you understand where I am going with this ♥

Much love, Nickymb (:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“How did the other day go?”

The voice from the other side of the phone asks as I painstakingly pin my hair up. Pulling the bobby pin out of my mouth, I press a flyway down before answering.“Horribly. The bad? I tried and maybe succeeded in seducing Jace. The good? He called me attractive.”

Madisons snorts over the phone, clearly laughing at the idea of either Jace calling me attractive or my flirting skills. Sighing, I turn toward the white dress hanging across my mirror and made a face at it.

I hated dresses. 

“So what you’re telling me,” Madison ventures. “Is that you tried seducing Jace Stone.”

Memories of me pressing my body to his make me flush with embarrassment and something else. I try my hardest to wipe away all thoughts of how he smelled, how my heart picked up, and how he obviously liked what I was doing.

That is, until he shoved me into a boys bathroom.

“Hey!” I proclaim somewhat stubbornly. “I did you proud. I even pressed my boobs against him. I think I deserve a medal.”

“The medal,” Madison responds mockingly. “Is your boobs having the delight to come into contact with Jace freaking Stone.” I blanch and she laughs. Rolling my eyes, I start to slip on the dress while she broaches the other subject.

“He seriously called you attractive?”

“Why do you sound shocked?”

I run my fingers over the small dress straps and wish I had a white bra. The one I had on stood out more than I would have liked it too.

“You’re beautiful Ender, I’m just more shocked that he said it. Actually, I’m not. You know why? Because he’s one of those boys.” I wrinkle my nose at the phone. Even though Madison can’t see it, I hope she can telepathically somehow know I’m doing it.

“What do you mean by ‘those’ boys.”

She sighs. “I keep forgetting how much a virgin you are.” Before I can comment about how rude the comment was, she starts explaining.

“He’s the kind of boy who goes around calling girls ‘beautiful’ or ‘attractive’ in you case, all in hopes of getting in their pants.”

For some reason, I don’t think that’s what Jace intended it to mean at all. For some reason, I get the sense that when Jace says something, he means it.

“I don’t think that’s what he was doing. At-least, I didn't get that impression.”

“Okay,” She approaches strategically. “You said you tried seducing him. Why?”

Yet again, embarrassment makes me squirm in front of the mirror. Honestly, I wish I could get over how foolish I was. “Jace, uhm, wanted me to prove I knew how to flirt. When it didn’t go the way he planned and he insulted me, I just wanted to prove that I could get a guys attention if I wanted too.”

She doesn’t say anything for a few tense seconds and I wonder if that’s her subtle way of saying I’m crazy. How crazy is it to seduce Jace?

Okay, maybe it should have been mission impossible, but I succeeded. Though, somehow, the thought doesn’t please me like it should.

“First off,” Madison starts. “You’re my hero. When I see you, I’m going to freaking kiss you.”

“Please don’t.”

“Secondly,” she continues, ignoring my comment. “It all has it’s reasons. He wants you to not go against him again. He knows you're blackmailing him, but even he has his limits. So, therefore, he realizes that fighting fire with fire is useless. Why be rude when kindness is so much easier?”

I grab the phone and move it to my nightstand before sitting on my bed. What if Mads is right? What if Jace only said what he did because he knew I would corroperate?

And so what if he didn’t mean it?

It’s not like Jace wants me or anything.

“Why do you think Jace went for Brittany?” I ask suddenly. The moment the question is out, I want to smack myself in the face. Thankfully, Madison doesn’t read too much into it. I don't either.

She makes a sound of disgust before answering.

“I think because the bitch has nice tits and a killer body. What other reason is there? Plus, it grosses me out. What do you think would happen if Matt found out?” The image of Matt, Brittany's supposed boyfriend, comes to mind.

They started dating suddenly junior year and no one questioned it. Matt was the starting quarterback and Brittany was what every girl wish she was and what every guy wanted.

Of course, before the big affair, rumors of Brittany’s last boyfriend spread like wildfire. Apparently she dumped him in a parking lot when she found out he was doing drugs. Or was he cheating on her? Either way, everyone was to assume her last boyfriend was trash and that no one should speak his name.

The thing was, no one knew who he was.

That’s because that’s who Brittany was. She dated ‘mystery’ guys, giving girls the impression that she was ‘too cool’ for highschoolers. But, let’s just say, the moment Matt became an opportunity, she should had no hang-ups dating him.

The sad thing is that he really is nice.

I let out my breath and fall back into my pillows. Hopefully, it didn’t mess up my hair. “Is it wrong that I feel guilty? Here I am holding this big secret and instead of bringing it to light I’m using it to my own advantage.”

“Maybe,” Madison comments. “But it’s not like Brittany and Jace hooking up is your problem. What they are doing in no way affects anyone but themselves. You’re not cheating on Matt.”

For some reason, it still didn’t make me feel better.

“I just wish Jace would find me these dates already. Instead of helping me get and keeps guys to prove my Checklist is true, he’s... probably having a field day with Brittany.”

Which is true. So far all he’s done is prove that I’m a horrible flirt and an even worse seducer. I think if it came down to it, I don’t know which one I would be more embarrassed about.

“He will, Ender. Why else would he agree? Plus he got that one kid to go to your table. Maybe he’s trying to figure out what’s he’s going to do with you and what he's working eith.”

Mads everyone.

The girl who literally sucked at motivational speeches.

I’m about to tell her just that when my door bursts open and I jerk up, surprised. Before I can even get my bearings, Ellie points her finger at me, her eyes blazing.

“Did you wear my outfit?” She seethes, holding up a dark black pair of pants. I fold my arms over my chest, trying to act nonchalant. In reality it's the outfit I wore confronting Jace at school. 

“No.”

“You’re lying!” She shouts, throwing the pants on the ground. “I ironed them the other week and when I went to put them on for today, they were wrinkly. Don’t lie to me Ender!” I don’t even have a chance to lie because Madison's voice breaks over the phone.

“Who would wear dress pants to a music festival?” She asks insidiously and I have to bit my lip to hide my smile. Ellie's heated gaze turns toward the phone and she brings that accusing finger to it.

As if Madison could actually see it.

“You know nothing, I’ll have you know-”

“Madison,” I break in, stopping Ellie mid-sentence. “You’re on speakerphone by the way.”

“I know,” She responds calmly, as if she got yelled at over the phone all the time. When it came to Ali, her mom, she probably did. “I just, really, dress pants?”

This time I can’t contain my laugh and Madisons high gigglesoon  follows.

Ellie looks from the phone, to me, and to the phone again before shaking her head. “You both need to get lives.”

She slams the door aggressively hard behind her and I roll my eyes. When it came to Ellie, she was more melodramatic than anything else.

“I assume her date didn’t work out with the Mr. Gorgeous?”

“He didn’t even drop her off. She walked from the date.”

“Ouch.”

I’m about to bring the subject of Jace and my Checklist back up when my mother calls from downstairs. “Ender, Ellie! Come on we are about to leave!” Sighing, I grab the phone, switch it off speaker, and press it to my ear.

“Moms ready to go. You sure you don’t want to come? It’s going to be boring without you.”

“Boyfriend going?”

“Yep.”

“Then no,” she says swiftly “No offense to your mom, but watching her suck lips with some guy is not my idea of a fun day. Even if he his hot.”

“Seriously? Gross. And fine. Leave me to my doom.” She laughs sweetly on the other side and I shake my head and press end. When I do, I know it’s now just going to be me against my family.

Ever since dad left, things have been different. Mother no long stays at home, cooking or talking on the phone. Instead, she goes to the gym and plans outings with the ‘boyfriend’ and us.

If it’s wasn’t hard enough, Ellie just added to it. She’s been bitter ever since the divorce.  When it happened, she shoved her face into books. I shoved my face into rules and boys. Sighing, I take one last look in the mirror and cross my fingers.

Hopefully today went well.

~*~*~*~*~*~~

“Oh my god,” Ellie exclaims while bringing her hand up to fan herself. “It’s hot. Why is it so hot? Fall should be coming soon. It’s not fair,” She whines and everyone ignores her.

Stating the obvious, and reminding us that it is indeed as hot as Hades, doesn't help anyone.

Plus I'm thirsty.

A small girl with piggy-tails passes me, a two layered ice-cream cone in her had. I watch it go by me mournfully, wishing I was in a cold room with a whole bucket in my lap.

“Ender,” My moms boyfriend says, a smile in his voice. “Would you like one?” My mother tries to hide her amused smile herself and Ellie just glares at me. Rolling my eyes, I shoot him a wide grin. “You buying Frank?”

He shakes his head, the smile stillon his face, and my mother looks over his shoulder. “Ender, girl. Do you really want one?” Even if my mother has her faults, she always puts Ellie and I first.

If we wanted that ice cream, damnnit, she would get it for us.

I shoot her the okay sign and she goes back to complaining about her job to Frank. Ellie and I follow behind, out of earshot. “It’s disgusting watching mom flirt,” Ellie continues to fan herself and I let my gaze fall to our mom.

I think it’s nice she’s actually falling in love again. Real life is you don’t always marry your first love. Our mom did. But when life got hard, I think our parents didn’t know what to do anymore.

They fell out of the love that used to carry them and my dad called it quits.

It hurt my mom, but at the end of the day its helped her more then it’s hurt. She now has her own job, her own independence, and soon someone to share it all with. Frank was nice enough, plus he was comfortable around Ellie and I. I liked that he could joke and hang around without it being awkward.

Atleast, I did.

“Ellie,” I start. “Why do you say things like that? Look, she’s happy.” I bring my hand out to indicate mom. She’s laughing at something Frank said and he’s looking at her with a bright grin on his face.

Ellie pushes her hair out of her face and I notice the small drops of sweat on her forehead. “It’s not that I hate it, it’s just don’t bring your love life around me.” Bitterness cuts through her words and I raise my eyebrow.

“Trouble in lovers paradise?”

Her gaze is pure steele. “At-least I have a paradise to talk about.” I bring my hand to my heart and stagger back in exaggeration. “Ouch. That hurt.” I deadpan and she shoots me a disgusted look before stopping.

“Mom, I’m going somewhere I will be appreciated.” She turns on her heel  and stomps away. Mom shoots me a worried look. “What happened?” I shrug. Who knew what went through Ellie’s head most of the time.

Plus, who would want too?

“I don’t know, mom. Do I look like I can comment on the mental stability of our dearest Ellie?” She continues to stare at me. The look plainly says, ‘this is your fault so you need to fix it.’ Sighing, I throw my hands in the air.

“Find, i’ll go find her. But if I miss anyone good playing because of her, I can’t promise she’ll come back alive.”

“Ender,” She warns and I back up.

”Okay, okay. I’m going.” I continue to walk backwards and she goes back to her conversation. Honestly? I wish Madison was here. If she was, things would have been different.

The music festival is an annual town thing and it’s something everyone seems to go to. Local bands play their hearts out and it's also a way for people looking for business to set up shops.

There's music, games, and food.

The only thing that’s missing is my bestfriend.

Sighing, I think about the real reason she can’t be here. Alie needed her today. Something to do with her own boyfriend, and anything with him in it isn’t good. Sometimes I wish I could just help her. Maybe I could find a way-

I’m so busy contemplating about Madison's situation, that I don’t even notice when I run into someone. My back hits something hard and a small muffled groan pierces my conscious when I step on something even tougher.

Jerking around, I’m about to apologize when I get a look at who it is.

Adam.

The guy with the nice butt.

He’s staring down at his right foot, which I must have stepped on. He lifts his gaze and when he sees that it’s me who has caused him harm, his face pinches into a glare

. “You again?” He spits, leaning down to wipe the scuff I put on his 'precious' white shoes. Shaking my head, I look up to avoid his icy stare.

Really? Did I have to run into him?!

Somebody must be testing me.

Womening up, I meet his hard stare and smile as sweetly as I can. “I’m sorry?” It’s more like a question that a direct apology. He shakes his head in disgust.

“That’s what you said last time.”

“Last time I was actually, you know, was sorry.” He clearly doesn’t like being spoken back too. Usually I would be more nice, but the guy seriously needed to calm down.

Every time I’ve seen him, he’s been unnecessarily horrible. He opens his mouth, no doubt to make some rude remark, when a hand lands heavily on his shoulder.

“Adam, leave the girl alone”

Adam tenses at the touch and soon a guy with red hair steps around Adam and smiles apprehensively at me. The first thing I notice is the accent. It wasn’t quite Irish, but not quite American either.

This second thing I notice is his looks.

He has this otherworldly thing going for him. High cheek bones, bright auburn hair, and the few freckles just makes it more profound. If that wasn’t odd enough, he has a dark jacket over his white shirt and seems to look like the heat wasn’t bothering him.

He also wasn’t too bad to look at.

“Ian,” He says, bringing his hand up for me to shake. I take it, trying not to blush. The last time a guy asked to shake hands with me, was, well never. Usually guys look the other way or blatantly stare obnoxiously.

“Ender,” My name falls smoothly from my mouth and he lets go of my hand slowly, a surprised look crossing his face.

“Like the book?”

Suddenly embarrassed, I try to explain to him the reason behind it. Being named after a boy in a Scifi book is humiliating enough. But when people pointed it out?

I wanted to laugh and run for the hills.

“Er, yeah. My dad had a sort of fixation on the book and since my mom and him thought they were having a boy, it fit perfectly.I’m sure it shocked them when it turned out, to be well, me.”

“Let me guess,” He says, a small smile on his face. “He wouldn’t give up the name.”

I peek over at Adam, who seems to be taking this whole exchanged in with a sort of distaste. Ignoring him, I nod my head.

“Yup, My father, he uh, really wanted a boy.”

He laughs and the sound startles me. He was so opened about the gesture that he didn’t even try to hide it. It was like he wanted the whole world to know he was happy.

“Well Ender,” He inquires, leaning forward to drop his voice, “At this exact moment I’m glad they didn’t.”

Adam rolls his eyes and I instantly freeze. Oh my god, he’s flirting with me. I bring my hands to my dress and nervously wipe the sweat off my hands.

Okay, I could do this. I rack my brain for a good response, something witty and funny and flirty and down-right-perfect, but all that comes out is. “Me too. Imagine trying to pee with a penis! It would be frightening.”

The moment I say it, I want to smack myself in the face. Oh god, I did not just say that. Penis? Really Ender, really. Might as well write uncultured virgin on your forehead and call it quits

Adam bursts out laughing, not even trying to save me from the humiliation. Ian keeps his composure, the only sign that he heard me the slight upward tip of his lips.

He was obviously trying not to laugh at me.

Mortified, I try to hide my sudden embarrassment and look down at my shoes. “I, uh, need to go.” I slide past Ian and Adam, and I can still  hear the little weasels laugh the whole time I do the walk of shame

. The moment I know I’m out of eyesight, I duck into a booth.

The guy at the makeshift table shoots me a bitter look, clearly waiting for me to buy something or get out. To appease him, I take a calming breath and stare at the collection of guitar picks he has scattered against different tables.

I’m hopeless. I know this. What girl says what I do? To top it all off, I made a bigger fool of myself by running away. Usually movies or books or magazines make it sound simple.

Flirt, go on a date, kiss, happily ever after.

It’s not like that. It’s all nerves and stomach pains and anticipation. You blush, you can’t think straight, and the moment a nice looking guy gives you their attention, you  make a fool of yourself.

That’s why I need Jace. He’s a guy. He knows what guys think and how guys feel. He will teach me and help me build the confidence I need to confront my fears.

He will prep me, trim me, and remake me into a girl who doesn’t run away from guys but instead claims them.

The Checklist is the only thing I have. The only thing I confidently confide in. The moment I test the rules on guys, thats the moment everything will make sense.

I won’t have to fall in love with the wrong guy when I finally do.

Madison has plenty of times. I’ve stayed up with her night after night mending a broken heart. I’ve literally seen what falling in love with someone who doesn’t love you the same way can do.

I’ve seen it through Mads; I’ve seen it through my mom.

I don’t want to stay up late and dream and hope and wish for a guy who doesn’t think about me the same way. I don’t want to waste my love on someone who doesn’t deserve it.

Maybe that’s why talking or flirting or even being near guys is so hard for me.

I’ve lived with heartbreak through friends and family, and instead of going out and experiencing it myself, I’ve written about ways to avoid it. If I can perfect this list, if I can seriously do it, no one will have to suffer through the utter destruction of having their heart shattered.

Shaking my head, I look down at a shimmering black guitar pick. Instead of bringing my mood even further down with sad thoughts, I trace the silver flowers along the edge of the pick.

There were three of them, each one lining on top of the other. It seriously was beautiful work. Whoever made this pick seriously took the time to perfect what they were creating.

“My son did that,” The vendors voice breaks through my thoughts on the pick and I look up from the piece. He smiles down at it. Gone is the bitter man I saw when I walked in.

He leans forward and picks it up off the table. When he holds it up, the light hits the silver and it lights up the whole thing. The silver seemed to shimmer.

“It’s gorgeous,” I breath and he sadly looks away from. “It is.” He sits it back on the table before clearing his throat.

“Do you play?”

He brings his hand out to indicate the picks and I shake my head. “I’m more of a writer. But, music sir, it's sill incredible. I wish I knew how.” He nods solemnly.

“My son used to play,” He clears his throat and looks guiltily at me. “I’m sorry, there's no need to bring my business to you.”

I’m about to tell him it’s fine when a group of people enter his both, their obnoxious laughter piercing through our conversation. He sighs and leaves me to go to them.

Smiling, I run my finger back over the pick.

I could stand here all day and look at it, but I still have Ellie to find. Plus, if I was stuck in my head for too long, I’m sure the incident with Ian would just keep replaying and I would have to throw myself off a bridge.

Or something of that nature.

I turn to leave when I get a flash of a familiar face. Bringing my eyebrows together, I push past the group and look for it. When I see a guy in a black shirt, clearly on the pursuit for something, an idea strikes me.

I didn’t have to leave Ian like I did. I could go back, flirt the right way, and possibly turn it into something.

He could even be my first test subject.

Smiling, I maneuver against the crowd, trying to catch up with my little helper.

Because Jace Stone is about to help me get my first guy.

Lanjutkan Membaca