Finding Beauty

By SunkissedLeaves

Seventeen year old Mckenzie Canton is not pretty. At least that's what she thinks. Insecure and self-conscio... More

[00]- Coming Soon
[01] - Chapter One
[02] - Chapter Two
[03]- Chapter Three
[04]- Chapter Four
[05]- Chapter Five
[06]- Chapter Six
[08]- Chapter Eight
[09] - Chapter Nine
[10] - Chapter Ten
[11] - Chapter Eleven
[12]- Chapter Twelve
[13] - Chapter Thirteen
[14] - Chapter Fourteen
[15] - Chapter Fifteen
[16] - Chapter Sixteen
[17] - Chapter Seventeen
[18] - Chapter Eighteen
[19] - Chapter Nineteen
[20] - Chapter Twenty
[21] - Chapter Twenty-One
[22] - Chapter Twenty-Two
[23] - Chapter Twenty-Three
[24] - Chapter Twenty-Four
[25] - Chapter Twenty-Five
[26] - Chapter Twenty-Six
[27] - Chapter Twenty-Seven
[28] - Chapter Twenty-Eight and [29] Chapter Twenty-Nine
[30] - Chapter Thirty
[31] - Epilogue
Author's Note + Possible Sequel
New Sequel Coming soon? Also a series?!
Finding Courage - The Sequel
Finding Beauty is having a Spin Off! [Coming Soon in Late 2019]

[07]- Chapter Seven

2.8K 63 19
By SunkissedLeaves

“So let me get this straight, you are going on a date with Kale?” Stefanie beamed into the phone. “Oh my gosh, I’m so happy for you! I knew you could do it!”

My cheeks flushed, I was still pretty shocked about Kale asking me to watch Frozen with him and for the fact that he loved hanging out with me. This never really happened before and know I now I might be the girl he likes. However, for the first time, I’m actually confident about this subject. I haven’t seen my insecurity ghost for a couple days since the day he asked me out and I was relieved.

Now I can shop for something to wear to the date in piece. “Yes, it’s a date, I guess.” I murmured shyly. “I’m pretty shocked myself.”

“Why? He’s lucky to go out with you McKenzie, you’re beautiful.” Stefanie complimented and I felt my cheeks heat up once again. Maybe she was right; I had to find beauty in myself after all. I couldn’t even explain but also for the first time, I couldn’t tell her otherwise.

“Thanks Stef, I’ve got to go find the perfect outfit now. I’ll text you.”

“Okay, have fun on your date!” She chirped happily before hanging up. Slipping my phone back into a pocket, I smiled. It has actually been a great Friday after all. No one really made fun of me and Kale waved at me right in front of the yearbook girl who claimed she felt “sorry” for me but I bet she was just jealous. 

I haven’t really seen Dean since he said no to my request of him sitting next to me at lunch, I hope he’s okay. My thoughts drifted away and I focused on finding the perfect outfit in Kohls. Looking through the rack, I spotted this cute blue top with a cute gray jacket, leggings, cute flats, and a pair of small blue earrings.

“Perfect” I whispered to myself and pulled the outfit out of the rack and luckily it appeared to be in my size. Putting the outfit in my cart, I sighed happily with satisfaction and knew that now I was ready, I could leave now.

Pushing the cart towards toward the one of the lines, my smiled turned upside down. The lines were packed and it seemed like everyone wanted to buy the entire store. I decided to just go to lane number three since it had the least amount of people. Once I’ve approached the line, I pulled out my phone and took a picture of my outfit.

When I was done, I sent to Stefanie saying: I’m going to wear this! You like?

A beat later, Stefanie responded: Yes, it’s very McKenzie like <3.

I giggled at her response and just as I was about to reply, someone stepped on my foot. “Hey!” I exclaimed out of pure shock but then I noticed that it was a little girl. She had bright hazel eyes and as soon she turned to me, she looked very sad. I also noticed that she didn’t have any hair; she must have or had cancer.

“I’m sorry, I just wanted Skittles but it’s so far up.” The little girl said with a frown on her face. “But my brother won’t let me buy skittles; he says it’s not good for me.”

But before I could reply, Dean suddenly appeared in front of me and scooped up the little girl in his arms. “May, I told you not to run off like that.” Turning to me, he was about to apologize but then he recognized me. “McKenzie?”

“Hi Dean,” I replied back to him. “Is she your sister? She seems like a sweetheart.” I smiled, she really did.

Ignoring my question he asked me, “Did she hurt you?”

“No, it’s good.” I said to him with a reassured smile. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Who’s McKenzie?” May asked I’m guessing her brother as she played with his hair and I giggled at this.

“She’s McKenzie,” Dean told her as he pointed at me. “A girl from my chemistry class.”

“Oh, hi McKenzie!” May greeted me with a toothy smile. “Can you please tell my brother to buy me skittles?”

I giggled and turned to Dean. “Let this sweet and innocent child buy some skittles.” Adding a pout, Dean laughed and I was shocked as two very cute dimples appeared on his cheeks. He actually laughed?

“Fine” He sighed and as he turned, he grabbed a bag of skittles, and added this to the cart.

“Why do you do everything she says?” May wondered. “Is she your girlfriend?”

Dean rolled his eyes at her but looked slightly amused. “No, she’s not. I just—I don’t want to hear you begging me any longer okay.”

I laughed, May was too cute. “It was nice meeting you.” I told her once I realized it was my turn. “Hopefully, I’ll see you soon!”

“Okay bye but it has to be soon since I’m dy—

Dean immediately put his hands over May’s mouth and his eyes became very sad and a bit upset. I tilted my head to the side, why was he so upset? What was May going to say? I knew it had something to do with her having Cancer though, it was obvious. “Bye McKenzie.” Dean said to me with nothing lingering in his voice but hurt.

I wanted to comfort him but he and May already walked away. I sighed; maybe this is why Dean acts this way. Turning towards the cashier, I paid for all of my items and headed out of the store. I tried my best to keep smiling but I kept thinking about Dean’s hurt voice and his sad eyes.

What was going on with him?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As soon as I got dressed, I put on some light foundation, mascara, blush, and eye shadow. I also pulled my dark brown hair into a messy bun and once I was satisfied with my appearance, my phone rang. Picking my phone up, I grinned. It was Kale, butterflies roamed my stomach and nervous chills fell through my spine. But I told myself to be calm just like I was when we were both at Sunni’s Sundaes.

Answering the phone, I said, “Hello?”

“Hi McKenzie, are you ready? I’m outside.”

“Yeah, I’m ready.” I replied back to him shyly as I felt my cheeks heat up. “I’ll be right out.”

“Okay, see you then.” Kale said and with that, he hung up. I grabbed one of my purses from my closet and threw my cell phone inside along with my other personal belongings. Once I was finished, I took a deep breath as a slight blush heated up my cheeks. The butterflies were still roaming my stomach.

Opening up the door, I walked out of the room and onto the hallway with nervous chills suddenly creeping down my spine. It’ll be fine, it’s just a movie. With that, I took a deep breath and slowly let my nervousness fade. My parents were still working but I thought that I should let them know I’m leaving anyway.

Approaching their bedroom, I knocked on the door and my mom answered immediately. “McKenzie, your Dad and I are—

“Conducting business right now, I know.” I finished with an annoyed sigh. “I just wanted to let you know that I’m going to the movies with a friend.”

“Okay have fun.” My mom said and then she shut the door in my face. Sighing, I brushed it off and walked towards the door. Taking the keys off of the key rack, I opened the door and locked it behind me.

I smiled as soon as I saw Kale’s familiar BMV and waved at him. He got out of the car and waved back at me. I blushed, he looked well…stunning. His tousled hair was slicked back and he wore a white tee with a cute denim jacket and topped it with H&M jeans. “Hi McKenzie, you look cute.” Kale greeted me with a smile.

I giggled nervously. “Um, thank you so do you.” He chuckled at this and opened the passenger door for me. “Thank you.” He murmured a ‘you’re welcome’ as he shut the door behind him and walked over to the driver’s seat. As I waited for him, I buckled up and laid my purse on my lap.

A beat later, he hopped in, buckled up, started the engine, and began to drive. Once he was finished backing out of my parking lot, I asked, “Are you excited for Frozen?”

“Of course I am; this is going to be fun. Do you mind if we share a large bucket of popcorn?” Kale asked me.

“Sure, as long as you ask for extra butter.” I replied to him with a grin. He chuckled and I smiled in delight, his chuckles were so cute.

After our small chat, he turned on the radio and a comforting silence filled up the truck. I leaned back and closed my eyes, I haven’t seen my insecurity ghost for a while and maybe this meant I was making progress.

Suddenly my phone beeped, I opened my eyes and pulled it out of my purse. I noticed that Stef texted me: How’s the date going?

Ha-ha okay I guess, we are still driving there.

A beat later, she replied back: Okay? Just okay, you need to take it up a notch! Ask him out or something, he so likes you <3.

I chuckled. I don’t know…

“Who are you texting?” Kale suddenly asked me.

Looking up at him, I shrugged. “Stefanie, she’s obsessed with frozen so she’s like fangirling which I don’t blame her because it’s an amazing movie.”

“Ah, I see.” He said to me with a smile appearing on his lips. “Now, I really can’t wait to watch it.”

“You’ll love it!”

*

As soon as we walked into the theater, the AC hits my face and thousands of Goosebumps appeared on my arms. I shivered; I didn’t really remember it being this cold in the cinema. “Are you cold?” Kale asked worriedly.

“A little” I told him. “I don’t know they are blasting the AC when it’s still winter.” Kale suddenly took off his denim jacket and walked over to me. Before I could protest, he leaned closer to me and slipped the jacket on over my shoulders.

I flushed because of how close we are and immediately looked at the floor. “T-thank you” I stuttered. Gosh, his breath was so minty. This made me flush even harder if that was possible.

“No problem” He responded with a chuckle oblivious of my reaction. “Let’s go order our popcorn now. The movie will start soon.” Taking a deep breath, I looked up and nodded as he stepped a bit farther from me and we both walked towards the line.

“Are you guys dating?” Someone suddenly asked and then I looked to see a little girl with two blonde pigtails.

“Yes, we are.” Kale lied as he grabbed my hand which caused me to flush once again.

“You two are so cute” Her friend beamed as her short black pigtails seemed to bobbing up and down.

“Um thanks” I thanked them shyly and immediately turned away. The butterflies were just exploding everywhere. Once they departed, Kale immediately released my hand and smiled at me awkwardly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t—

“No it’s fine, I didn’t mind.” I murmured still a bit shocked that he actually held my hand and how warm and soft it was.

“I wouldn’t mind if you were my girlfriend either.” Kale murmured back to me and I gasped in shock. Did he just say that?

But before I could do anything else, it was our turn to order. We ordered a large bucket of popcorn, two medium cokes, and a bag of skittles and m&ms. Once we’re done, we carried our treats towards the movie. As we did, I didn’t really say anything. I was just completely shocked and flushed.

Kale definitely likes me, I mean he wouldn’t even mind if we were dating. Should I ask him out then? If I did, maybe my insecurity ghost will fade away. I didn’t feel so worthless when I was with him anyway. But, I was too afraid and my insecurities were still eating me. It’s not the right time, he wouldn’t say yes, and maybe I should wait.

Deciding that I should wait or whatever, I didn’t open my mouth and Kale didn’t say anything which was actually comforting. We finally made inside as soon as they were showing a cute Mickey Mouse commercial. “Let’s sit in the front.” Kale informed me as he led me towards the front row seats.

Once we sat down, I glanced around us and noticed that almost all of the seats were full. “This movie is definitely going to get some high ratings.” I whispered to him.

“Most definitely” He replied back to me.

Once the commercial was over, we sat back, relaxed, and watched the movie. As it played, I could tell that Kale was enjoying the movie and I was ecstatic. As soon as Let It Go played, I sang along with it as quietly as possible so no one else could hear me. Kale chuckled at my bad voice and started to sing with me.

So basically, the rest of the movie we quietly sung as soon as the character began to sing and it was so much fun. Once the movie was over, Kale and I picked up our trash and dumped them into the nearest trash can. “That movie was pretty cute.” He said with a smile. “It was little bit better than Wreck It Ralph which was one of my favorites.”

“I love that one too, it’s so cute.” I beamed at him. “And Tangled is so cute too, Eugene is so hot.”

He laughed. “Rise of the Guardian is good too. It would be awesome if Jack Frost and Elsa met, I ship it.”

“Me too!” I chimed. I never thought of them together but now I realized that maybe they’d be cute together.

“Do you want your jacket back?” I asked him once we headed towards the main lobby.

“You can keep it and just give it to me on Monday.” He replied with a shrug. I smiled as the two of us headed towards the exit and out the door. Then I remembered something.

“Thank you for the movie and everything, it was fun.” I thanked him as we walked to the car. “Are you cold by the way?”

“No, I’m fine. I don’t freeze easily.” He told me with a laugh. “I’m more worried about you.”

“Thanks.” I mumbled unable to find the right words.

“No problem” He said back as he smiled at me. “Can we do this again sometime?”

“Definitely” I responded returning his smile.

We both headed back into the car and once he dropped me off, he walked to my door and I used my keys to unlock the door. “Bye Kale, I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye McKenzie.” Kale said to me as he tossed me a hug. And as I did, I blushed. He smelled so good and I didn’t really want to release him either. However, he released and then I looked into his eyes. His handsome electric blue eyes were so comforting.

“Bye Kale.” I said again and then smiled at me and walked towards his car. I turned and walked inside, waving as he drove off. He waved back and I smiled in delight. “Insecurity ghost, you were wrong. He wants to go out with me so how does that make you feel?!”

When nothing happened, I grinned as I locked the door and placed the keys back on the key rack. “Exactly, insecurity ghost you have—

Suddenly, a nearby mirror violently shattered in million pieces and I screamed in sudden shock. Suddenly, I felt a chill on my shoulders and her dreaded voice in my ears, “Watch what I’ll do to Dean.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Invisible By Leah

Mystery / Thriller

137K 6.7K 53
Blair, 16 years old, feels lonely and invisible. She has friends, family, but she feels unhappy. And then there's Willow, who seems to follow her eve...
512 47 24
Meet Ella Marcus, a young inconvenienced teenager who became what she didn't want to be at such a young age. Meet Gabriel Jerry, a teenage playboy wh...
313 1 11
Mackenzie Adams is a 17-year-old apathetic girl, even though she doesn't know it. Abandoned by her parents at a young age, Mackenzie moves into live...
685K 19.6K 35
"I know that I can fuck up your whole life with one look. But I can't stop myself." ✰ ✰ ✰ Mia Rose...