Ohio Isn't Forever

By r0cknr0llchick

Ohio isn't forever. That's what seventeen year old Heather Whimes keeps telling herself, but she's really not... More

o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
e p i l o g u e

s i x

67 5 4
By r0cknr0llchick

"So you think you're something just because you caught Rob Miller's attention for a night?"

I didn't even have to turn around to know who had said this, because I knew it was Abigail. I was inside McDonald's with my cousin Sarah. She had come down for a surprise visit from New Jersey earlier that morning, and I was really excited to forget the past couple of days previous events by hanging out with her. But it looks like no matter what I did, I'd have to face what was actually going on at some point. I mean, I shouldn't have really been surprised or anything. After all, Abigail and Maddie were the first to know everything in the neighborhood.

"Who said I thought I was something?" I snorted, turning around to face her. She looked even more sluttier. She might as well have left her house in her underwear with the way she had been dressing lately.

"It's going around town that you think you are."

Sarah exchanged a look with me, and I knew she was extremely confused. I had yet to explain every detail of what had been going on to her, so she wasn't filled in at all. "Wait, what's your deal with my cousin?"

Abigail glared at Sarah. "She's a complete slut who thinks she's better than everybody else. I mean for God's sake, weren't you just on a date with Calvin Williams a few days ago?"

I knew Sarah, and I knew she didn't like it when people talked to me out of line. Abigail was really pushing some limits here, and it wasn't looking too good for her. She was about to be jumped by two furious chicks.

"Don't talk to my cousin like that. I don't know you, but I know the only slut in this restaurant is probably you." Sarah spat.

Abigail rolled her eyes and laughed at that one. By now, everyone at McDonald's had their attention at our table. I wondered who Abigail came with, so I looked around for Maddie, but she was no where to be found. In fact, it was a wonder to me why Maddie had suddenly gone into hiding since finding out about me and Rob.

"You're really going to play the insult game?"

"I mean, you did insult her first." Sarah said in a matter of fact tone.

Abigail flipped her hair over her shoulder. "Whatever, I'm outta here. Have fun being a slut and keeping secrets. Just remember, we'll always find out everything." she said to me, before exiting the restaurant.

"Okay, please explain to me what her deal is?" Sarah said.

I sighed. "I'd rather not. Let's just say I'm not doing too good down here Sarah."

"Okay, but that bitch is crazy."

"I'm aware." I said.

"She literally knows nothing about you. She must be jealous that you stole a guy she likes." Sarah said, searching my face for an answer. I never liked lying to Sarah, because she was the only family member all my secrets actually were safe with, but I didn't feel like being truthful with anyone at that moment.

"I didn't steal anybody. He doesn't even like me." I said, knowing that was probably the most crappy lie I'd ever made up. Of course Rob Miller liked me. After many hours of thinking, that was definitely the conclusion I had come to.

"Please, you're gorgeous, of course he likes you." she snorted.

When Sarah had first came to our house earlier, I expected that Rob would be outside, or make a surprise pop up at the house like he always did, but today, he did none of those things, so Sarah had yet to see him at all.

Sarah was 21, and had ran away from Ohio a long time ago to live in New Jersey with her boyfriend Patrick. Things didn't work out so great for them, and they ended up splitting. Unlike most couples in this day and age, surprisingly, they never had a child together, but that's what a lot of the rumors in the family were. Now, Sarah was single, but she wasn't sad about it, at least I don't think. She told me that she never regretted getting away from here, and realized that she didn't need anyone to be by her side to really live her life.

Sometimes I think maybe I'll end up like Sarah if I ever get away. Alone, and in a new part of the world with no one. But really, it wouldn't be any different than how alone I was here in Ohio.

I decided maybe I should stop beating around the bush and just come straight out with it. "Would you like to meet him? His name's Rob Miller, and honestly, I think he might like me. The only reason I said he doesn't is because I'm honestly not used to guys being into me." I told Sarah.

"Wait, whose Calvin Williams?"

I rolled my eyes. "A friend."

"So not the guy she's jealous of you over?" Sarah questioned.

That was one thing I loved and hated about her. She questioned literally everything, and never stopped until she got a decent enough explanation.

"No." I said. "Are you done? We really need to get going if you want to meet Rob."

"I want to meet both." she smirked. "They better be cute."

I rolled my eyes and we both got up from our spots, exiting McDonald's. Sarah's driving had always been horrible and scared me half to death. She always went way too much over the speed limit, and got so many speeding tickets it was a wonder she wasn't crying about how she could pay for them all. I gripped the seat in fear as she rounded a corner sharply. When we finally made it back to my house, thankfully in one piece, I stepped outside of the car, and started towards Rob's house.

She followed excitedly. "Oh my gosh. I'm so happy I finally get to meet one of your mystery men."

I snorted. "He's not one of my mystery men."

"Then he's the only mystery man?"

I rolled my eyes and picked up the pace in which I was walking to avoid saying anything on that. When we finally reached his front door, I rang the doorbell.

A few shuffling of feet and muffled voices later, Mr. and Mrs. Miller arrived at the front door, both flashing huge grins at me. "Hey, what can we do for you?" Mrs. Miller asked, her eyes drifting between me and Sarah.

"I was wondering if Rob was home?"

Mr. Miller shook his head. "Nope, he he went riding through town with a friend about an hour ago."

A friend? But wasn't I Rob Miller's only friend?

"Okay, thanks for letting me know." I said, hoping my voice didn't make it obvious how disappointed I was. "Tell him to come over when he gets back."

"Will do." Mr. Miller said.

When they went inside, and we started on our way back to my house, I turned to Sarah. "You know, that's so weird. In all Rob's time of being here, I've been his only friend."

"You expect a hot guy to not have many friends? I'm assuming he's hot at least." Sarah joked. But I wasn't in the mood for that right now.

"No really, he told me I was the only girl here who wasn't slutty and desperate. He did say I was pretty nosey though." I added.

Sarah laughed, but then her expression turned sympathetic. "Really Heather, you can't expect a hot guy to actually keep his word half the time. Once they meet another girl, it's really all over for the two of you. Just look at me and Patrick. I haven't heard from him since the day he decided to leave me." 

I shrugged. "I don't know Sarah, but something's telling me I know this particular "friend"." I air-quoted the word friend to let her know that there was definitely more to it than we knew.

"Maybe we should drive through town and see if we can catch him and that "friend" out together." Sarah suggested.

I was fearful of getting back into a car with her, but curiosity overpowered it, and I was inside before you could say, "That's a great idea!"

So we drove though town, looking around every popular spot there was, trying to see if we could find Rob Miller and his mysterious new friend. I had to admit, I was jealous, but who wouldn't be. I thought I actually had him all to myself. After all, he did make me feel pretty special, and I was thankful for that.

After a half hour of searching, Sarah was already ready to give up with this whole thing. "Alright, gas isn't cheap you know. Maybe we should stop trying to find hot guy."

"No!" I said a little too loudly, causing Sarah to actually slow down for once in her life. "We've got to solve this. I've got to know who Rob's out here riding around with."

"Do you really? I mean, what if it's another girl. I don't wanna see you hurt Heather." Sarah said softly.

"I'll get over it. After all, this was mostly your idea."

Sarah rolled her eyes. "I don't know why I even suggest things."

So we kept riding, looking through even more places, until finally, we got to the place I was sure was it.

The creek. It was where nearly everyone here hung out at, and it was sure to be packed because of this heat wave.

"You really think this is where he is?" Sarah asked me once we got there.

"I'm almost positive."

I didn't bother actually going too far, because I wanted to scan the areas around us first. It was, in fact, packed with screaming teens, and some just standing around like me. He had to be here.

And that's when I saw him. He was wearing swim trunks and holding hands with a girl that looked extremely familiar, but both their backs were turned, so I couldn't be sure as to who it was. The only reason I even recognized him is because, well, who couldn't recognize Rob.

"Oh my God. That's him." I pointed out to Sarah. Her head snapped up, and she was the most attentive I had ever seen her be.

"Looks like he's holding hands with some chick. What a player." Sarah sighed. "I told you, this is why we never should've went look-"

But Sarah didn't get to finish her sentence because of the horrified gasp I let out.

Rob and the girl turned around, and I was able to get a clear view of each of their faces, and let me just tell you:

I wished I hadn't.

Sarah was right, we never should've went looking for him, and who could expect a hot guy to not have many friends for long. He could put on the whole "I don't need anyone" act, but I knew now that it was just a bunch of bullshit.

The girl that was holding hands with Rob Miller was not Abigail, which was a relief, but it was really no different than him holding hands with this girl.

It wasn't anybody who had come up to me recently fishing for questions on Rob Miller, and what we had done with each other lately.

No, it wasn't any of those people at all, and I should've known. That's the thing. I should've known this whole time. I was so blind and stupid, and now all I could do was stand there with my mouth hung open to form a perfectly shaped "O", and stare at the two of them.

And they stared back at me. Rob looked scared and nervous like a deer caught in headlights, but the girl only smirked at me, before giving me a small wave.

The answer had been right in front of my face the whole time.

A/N: Who do you think it is?? :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 158 30
"He might hear you"my best friend said. "Hear what?"he asked from the back and the least I could do was shrivel at the hearing of his voice. "Somethi...
1.3M 48.2K 69
Alexis Manro is a 17 year old girl who, along with her cousin Jake, was forced to move to a new town by her step-father. With her mother dead leaving...
6.7K 211 28
Ally's life is centered around kids. She works at a daycare and they all love her. Everything is going great, until one day she gets a knock on her d...
119 17 15
Virginia's move to Los Angeles for college brings her dreams to life, filled with new friends and an unexpected romance with Brad, a captivating seni...