fire and rain // forheadedrose

By forheadedrose

"In a fight, they're lethal. Around each other, they melt." Loosely based on the new FOX show, Lethal Weapon. More

1. Promotion
2. Dinner
3. Surf n' turf
4. Best buds
5. There goes the neighborhood pt. 1
6. There goes the neighborhood pt. 2
7. Spilt milk pt.1
8. Spilt milk pt.2
9. Laundromat
10. Work party
11. Lifes a picnic
12. Noise complaint
13. Magic
14. Julian pt.1
15. Julian pt.2
16. Sunset
17. Jack the ripper
18. Shotgun wedding
19. Inappropriate work behavior
20. Big flashlight store
21. Second chances
22. Busting bad guys with Baby Bella
23. Babysitter
24. Prodigal son
25. The list
26. To elope or not to elope?
27. Carnival honeymoon
28. Backyard sunset
29. Family tree
30. Last goodbye
31. Adjustments
32. The necklace
33. Guess who's back, back again
34. Decoy pt.1
35. Decoy pt.2
36. Jingle Bell glock pt.1
37. Jingle bell glock pt.2
38. Bathtub conversations
39. Counseling
40. Baby names
41. Destroying Yourself
42. Baby blues
43. Dog tags
44. Falling down
45. Danger
46. Homecoming
47. Family
48. Junior Detectives
48. Lawmen pt.1
49. Lawmen pt.2
51. Relative(ly annoying)
52. Brotherly love pt.1
53. Brotherly love pt.2
54. Brotherly love pt.3
55. Details
56. Issues
57. Memory
58. Therapy
59. Too much
60. One flight down
61. Goodbye my lover
62. What's left.
63. The same
64. "Yes ma'am."

50. Lawmen pt.3

864 25 2
By forheadedrose

M A R T I N

I watched Barton roll his garbage can to the curb, he noticed me sitting in my dark pickup and scoffed.

"Detective Riggs." He said walking up to me.

"Any reason you're waiting outside my house?" He asked, I smiled.

"Well, there was a string of burglaries in the area, and I just wanted to make sure, you know, you and your family were safe." I smirked up at the crooked officer.

"Aren't you the perfect gentleman?" He smiled, "Well, just returning the favor, really." I said laying my head back.

"You know, after you showed an interest in the Murtaugh's, you know, hey, his wife, in particular, I understand." I rambled because Trish was beautiful and strong.

"Boy, you LAPD guys are so sensitive. Not so surprising coming from Murtaugh, but from what I understand, you've got thicker skin. You're not such a-a team player over there. Isn't that right?" He smirked and I looked over at him.

"Well, the thing is, the Murtaugh's are my team." I smiled.

"Right, right. Because that pretty little blonde was raised by them, right? Like a foster family?" He snickered as I gripped my steering wheel.

"Because she's never had one? Isn't that right?" He said stepping closer to my truck.

"Now you're just trying to charm me." I pointed at him.

"Looked at you, camped outside my house, doing this, trying to scare me a little." He chuckled.

"You know, if I think about it, I'd say that you and I, we're not that different." He said and my jaw clenched.

"Well, you know, there is one thing that's different. I ain't ever killed a cop, right?" I pointed at him and clicked my tongue.

"There's a difference." I said starting my truck and Barton stayed quiet, "Well.." I sighed, "Not yet, anyway." I smiled at him.

I pulled away from his house. Trying to breathe after he talked about my wife like that, so I drove home to her.

To my wife and daughter, instead of going and getting in a bar fight or getting flat out wasted.

I came home to find my wife singing to our tiny baby.

"She's imperfect, but she tries. She is good, but she lies." She sang quietly, I don't know how but I've never heard her actually sing, but she had a beautiful, angelic voice.

"She is hard on herself. She is broken and won't ask for help." I listened to her sing as I stood in the doorway of our bedroom, she was so focused on the small baby who dozed off beside her.

"She is messy, but she's kind. She is lonely most of the time." Deja smiled as she sang, lightly tickling Delilah.

"She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie." She sang before she glanced at me, I smiled softly and her smile grew.

"She is gone, but she used to mine." She finished as Delilah finally dozed off, her small brown eyes fluttering closed.

She slowly and carefully got up from the bed, her bare feet didn't make a single noise as she walked over to me.

She walked up to me and I smiled, "I don't deserve you." I spoke softly as I lightly held her jaw, my hand under her hair.

"I'm glad you're home." She whispered, and I smiled as she kissed me, I wrapped my arms around her waist as she put her arms around my neck.

The kiss deepened and we started moving towards the couch, but it was tricky because it was dark and she was helping me take off my jacket and boots.

As we got closer, I tripped on the coffee table and we fell onto the couch, trying to hold in our laughter.

She sat on top of me, but she seemed distracted.

"What is it?" I whispered as I held her face in my hand.

"I can't do this with our baby in here." She sighed, "You know, I have a flat bed truck." I suggested with smile.

"But if she wakes up o-or falls off the bed..." She whispered with her hands on my chest.

"I want to do this, I do, but we have a baby.. Sleeping a few yards away." She said letting her head fall on my chest.

"I have solutions for both of those things." I smiled and she sat up quickly.

I told her we could make a wall of pillows so she wouldn't roll off, and then we use our phones as baby monitors-- we just mute ours so we can only hear her.

She smirked before she jumped from the couch and started making a wall of pillows on one side of Delilah.

I walked in and started fixing the other side, my shirt barely buttoned, "She looks so much like you." Deja spoke softly and I looked up at her, "A man with facial hair and masculine features?" I joked.

"No.." Deja laughed lightly, slightly shaking her head.

"She has your eyes, and your dirty blonde hair-- I bet it'll be curly and lighter when she gets bigger." She said and I smiled, "Well, she has your nose, and she'll probably have blonde wavy hair, like you." I said and she smiled up at me.

I was such a sucker for those eyes.

"Look at our baby. We had a baby." Deja said as she sighed, moving some pillows and sitting beside her.

I sat down on the other side, Deja laid her head down beside Delilah's, I smirked because I knew where this was going, "Man... This bed is so comfy." She said and I chuckled.

"I love you." I said leaning over and kissing her before I gently kissed our snoring baby, "I love you." She spoke softly as I laid down on the other side of our daughter.

I could still see her brown eyes and blonde hair, her eyes slowly drifted closed as mine did too.

--

D E J A

"These came from Barton's house?" Murtaugh asked as I sat on the edge of Riggs' desk with his feet beside me.

"That's the wrong question to be asking right now, Rog." Riggs said pointing his pen at his old partner.

Riggs left the trailer early today and I just assumed he had something to do-- although knowing Riggs I should've known it was something like breaking and entering.

"Did you use your Australian accent when you called the cops?" I smirked as I held the box of rare bullets.

I looked up and Riggs winked at me, "The right question would be: are those the rounds that killed our ranger?" Riggs said and I chuckled.

A junior came over to me, his name was Alex Karev, he's been shadowing Cruz.

"Mrs. Riggs?" He asked, handing me a clipboard for me to sign.

"Oh, I'm not Mrs. Riggs." I chuckled, "Oh shi-- sorry, are two not married?" He said glancing between me and Martin, both of us smirking.

"No, we are. We definitely are. But I'm Detective Young." I said and he nervously chuckled before he left quickly.

"No, we're not doing it this way." Roger said shaking his head.

"Okay, how about I return them after we make the arrest?" Riggs explained and I slightly shook my head.

"What, you don't think I want this guy, too? He killed one of our own. But it means nothing unless we can prove that Barton was in possession of the murder weapon." Murtaugh said, getting all worked up.

"Now we can. I checked the bar code." I spoke up.

"That box of ammo was purchased at the Temecula Gun Show about two months ago, along with four Mini-14 assault rifles." I said looking up from the papers Karev brought me.

"Guess who made the purchase?" I quizzed my friends.

"Luke Barton." Riggs and Murtaugh spoke in sync, I shook my head

"No. The L.A Sheriffs Boys home." I said, "Assault weapons for a charity?" Roger scoffed.

"Right, except it wasn't an official department charity, it was a personal charity, founded by your boy." I said looking up at the two, "Luke Barton!" Murtaugh shouted and I smirked, he was over enthusiastic.

"Let me guess, a large contribution was made to this charity right before Wade Davies release?" Riggs said waving his pen around.

"More proof that Davies hired Barton to bust him out of custody." I said and Riggs put his feet on the ground.

"All right, lets tell Avery." He said standing up, "Okay, now you two get a warrant. Make a legitimate arrest. By the book." Murtaugh said as I stood up and walked with Riggs as Roger stayed at his desk since this wasn't his case.

"He's such a stickler." Riggs whispered and I chuckled as we asked to Avery's office.

"Hey, cap?" I said stepping into his office but he wasn't in there, "Anyone seen the Captain?" Riggs hollered throughout the office.

"He hasn't been here all day." Lexie chimed as she sat at her desk.

"All day?" I said giving my little sister a questionable look.

"You think Barton's got something to do with this?" Riggs asked as I called Avery's cell.

"Straight to voice mail." I sighed.

"Bailey, I need you to get a location on the captain." I said and she said she could get it in a few minutes.

--

I walked into a bar-restaurant that had dim lighting and booths as far as I could see, indistinct conversations were heard all around me in the fancy restaurant.

I walked to a booth that sat a big man by the name of David Reed, the man that who runs the Sheriff's department now.

"Where's Avery?" I said walking up to him, all by myself because Riggs was back at the office.

"I've heard about you and your partner.." He chuckled as he glanced at me, "Everything all right over here?" A smiley waitress came over towards us.

"I'm looking for the gentleman that was here." I said motioning towards all the empty glass cups on the table Reed sat at.

"The apple juice guy?" She chuckled.

"He had me being like, four rounds of apple juice, on the rocks. He said it was part of some prank he was pulling." She said and I chuckled.

"Apple juice-- He wanted you to think he was drunk." I smirked because Avery was the best boss.

"What did you guys talk about?" I asked before he stood up, his tall frame overshadowing my small one.

"Did Barton know he was here?" I asked, not wavering because of his size or power.

"You're in my way, Detective." He spoke lowly.

He walked past me and I pulled out my phone, speed dialing Riggs.

"Riggs-- no, I'm fine. But Avery's not here, I think he's in trouble." I said because he asked if something went wrong.

"All right, Bailey's got a cell ping from his car. It looks like it's at a house in Carson." Riggs said over the phone before he asked Bailey for an address.

"Okay, 4415 Moreno Drive." I heard Bailey say as I started to leave the restaurant.

"Last homeowner was Peter Scarelli?" Bailey said as more of question and I stopped in front of my car.

"You got it?" Riggs asked, "I'm closer, I'm going." I said as I got in my car.

"No, no, no, no. I'm, uh, on my way. You wait where you are a-and I'll pick you up so we've got each other's backs." He said quickly as I closed my door and tried to start my car and it was dead, probably part of Barton's plan.

I groaned, "Hurry, Riggs. We don't have very much time." I spoke before hanging up.

Riggs pulled up ten minutes later and I jumped in the passenger seat before Riggs drove quickly to the house in Carson.

"That's Avery's car. It's them." I pointed out.

"How do you want to do this?" Riggs said as we stopped in front of the house.

I smirked as I looked over at him, "Delicate." I said and he smiled before putting the car in drive.

I covered my face and held Riggs' free hand, I practically held my breath as we drove into the living room of the house with a loud crash.

I got unbuckled and jumped out of the car with my door being used as a shield, I shot down two guys.

Riggs covered me as I ran across the living room to find Avery tie-strapped to a wooden chair.

Riggs ran out after shooting down the last man, following Barton who bolted out of the back door.

I grabbed a chard of glass and cut Avery's hands loose, I moved down to his ankles to cut them loose, too.

"Deja!" Avery yelled as he grabbed my gun and shot two shots behind me, I froze in fear because I'd be in too much shock to know if I was shot, until I heard a thud.

I looked behind me to see Scarelli laying on the ground, I sighed as I faced Avery and cut his ankles loose.

"Are you okay?" I breathed and he nodded, I nodded before standing up and running out back.

I heard two shots fired and reached for my gun as I snuck around, but I must've left it with Avery.

I thought about how typical that was of me to do.

"You know, I was never really good at math. But I think that weapons empty." I heard Riggs talk smugly and I looked around the corner of the house to see him and Barton standing a few yards away from each other.

Riggs sighed as he tucked his gun away, "I've been waiting for this." I looked to see Riggs smiling.

He was going to flat out fist fight this man.

Barton threw the first punch but Riggs deflected it and pulled him down to the ground, I winced because my hand stung.

I looked to see it was bleeding pretty heavily after using that shard to cut Avery free.

I watched Riggs toss the guy around before he pinned Barton on his back.

Riggs sat on top of Barton and held a gun to his chin, "You know how you said we're not that different, you an I?" Riggs said with his hair falling down in his face.

Riggs said as his finger squeezed the trigger just enough before he released it, "Wrong." He said, sparing the man's life.

"You're under arrest." Riggs said and I smiled, of course my man was the bigger man.

--

M A R T I N

"Well, I'm headed home." Petry, the ranger said walking over to my desk.

"I just wanted to thank you for catching the man who did this." "Well, I had a little help, you know." I said shaking his hand.

"Not exactly 'one riot, one ranger' around here." I spoke as he looked for my partner who was also my wife.

"I wanted to apologize about that, I know I overstepped." He said and I waved him off, assuring him it was fine.

"Oh." I said because I remembered something, I reached in my desk drawer and pulled out Ervin's flask.

"That was your ranger's." I said handing it to him.

"You know what, son? I think Mark would've wanted someone like you to have it." He said handing it back to me, I looked up at him, wondering if he was sure.

"Thank you." I spoke sincerely.

"If you ever decide to get back out to Texas, could use a ranger like you." He said and I smiled as I looked down at the flask.

I looked up to see Deja walking into the office, her hand bandaged, but her other hand holding our baby, I lightly smiled, "I've got some ties here. Besides, I got to keep them honest out here." I smiled before looking over at Petry.

"Hmm. Where's your partner? I wanted to thank her, too." He asked looking around the office, I nodded towards her.

He looked back at me, "Yours?" He asked and I smiled as I nodded, looking over at my girls.

We watched Roger walk over and talk baby to Delilah as Deja laughed, it was such a sight.

Roger took his granddaughter in his arms as he made funny faces, Deja smiled before looking for something in her desk.

"You do have ties. Stay safe, Detective." He said patting my shoulder.

I watched him walk over to Deja, he said something to her and she smiled widely before he pulled her into a hug.

I laughed before they broke apart, he left and she gave me a confused look.

I walked over towards them and she continued to search for something, "Aha!" She spoke loudly, she pulled out a small, thin gold bracelet out of her desk.

I helped her put it on after she fiddled for a minute.

"Ready?" Her big brown eyes looked up at me, I slowly nodded.

"C'mon, Mayfield." I chuckled as I took our baby out of Roger's arms so he could carry his bowling bag.

--

D E J A

"Hey baby, it's daddy." I tried not to laugh as Murtaugh opened his bowling bag and talked to his bowling ball.

I glanced at Trish who sat next to me, a large crowd of officers watching to see if Roger could pull a 300-- a perfect score, because some of the officers questioned his game.

That's why they got in that fight a few days ago.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" I asked with Delilah sitting on my lap, her back pressed against my chest.

"I have no choice." He said standing in front of Trish and I as we sat on those sideways benches.

"So you really think you can bowl another perfect game?" I smirked before looking at all the co-workers here.

Avery, Bailey, Scorsese, and Cruz were some familiar faces. And Lexie-- who was always in the background.

Riggs was supposed to be right behind Delilah and I but he wasn't around when we arrived.

"Deja.." Roger gave me wide eyes, "I'm just saying that seems a bit--" "We just wanted to say you did the right thing by putting Barton and his guys away." A deputy interrupted me as he stood in front of me.

"They made the whole department look bad. But that doesn't mean there's a man or woman here that believes he bowled that perfect game." The Deputy smirked as he faced my dad.

Trish huffed, "Hey, listen, I just, I just wanted to say that--" "How does $1,000 to the charity of my husband's choice sound to you, huh?" Trish cut off a nervous Roger as she stood up and stepped beside her husband.

"Oh, ok, now that sounds great." The Deputy laughed.

"If put $1,000 in there for the charity of our choice when he doesn't." He said as Delilah chewed on a baby toy.

"Oh, honey. You're not gonna get that. 'Cause he will." Trish smiled widely.

"Okay, you know what? This is fun. And, uh, nobody likes raising the stakes more than me, but, uh, gambling in California's illegal--" Roger rambled before he was cut off by a man who loves to raise the stakes, "$2,000!" Riggs shouted as he walked through the crowd.

"Nobody questions my partners bowling skills." Riggs said before he lightly touch my shoulder.

Riggs sat beside me, kissing me sweetly as the game started.

"How are my favorite girls?" He said quietly as Roger got the first strike.

Delilah looked up at her dad and her eyes lit up as she reached out for him.

I smiled widely as I looked up at him too, with that same look.

She sat with Martin for a few minutes before Trish asked for a sweet distraction that was Delilah.

I leaned into my husband's chest as he put his arm around me, pulling me close.

I held his hand with my uninjured one, he took my bandaged hand into his free one, it reminded me of the first real case we worked on, with the noise complaint.

When he wrapped my hand as we sat on the stairs beside the pool.

He looked up at me, "How's it feel?" He asked sweetly.

"It's good, and I love you." I spoke quietly because I didn't want to throw off Roger.

He slightly smirked before kissing me, as we broke apart I leaned into his chest again.

We watched Murtaugh get a strike after strike before he was getting ready to take the last shot.

Riggs stood up as I sat beside Trish, who still held Delilah, but she was asleep now.

He took Roger aside for a minute, talking to him before he patted his back and started walking back over to his spot.

Roger picked up his lucky ball as Riggs sat beside me again, I wrapped my arms around him, one on his shoulder as the other was under his arm.

(Made a lil edit - )

I leaned my chin on my husband's shoulder as he held one of my arms, nervous for his best friend.

Everyone lowly laughed as Roger clicked his heals together three times.

He walked in what felt like slow motion before he swung the ball, everyone watched on the edge of their seat.

The ball hit all of the pins and I sighed with relief before Riggs turned around and kissed me as most everyone cheered for Murtaugh.

I laughed before I turned around to see Delilah fussing from all the noise.

I cooed as I took her from Trish's arms so she could congratulate her husband, Riggs and I both crowded around her, shielding her from all those loud, scary people.

Even if they were all cops.

I smiled at Riggs to see him already smiling at me, because things were good- we were happy.

a/n wowie so sorry for the chapter that is like 4x longer than my normal ones.. sorry if it was boring but I liked it 🤷‍♀️ I could honestly end this story here, but I ain't gon to because I have no life and this is all I do

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.9K 3.8K 17
beware all who enter; you won't leave alive
23.4K 542 54
'People change, things go wrong. Shit happens, but life goes on'
17.4K 1K 13
Michael had a pretty face and Luke wanted to ruin him.
424K 18.9K 20
The one where Calum adds 3 random numbers into a groupchat in an attempt to cure his boredom. Things don't quite go the way he expected.