The Rebellious Lady Fallon: H...

By Sinaidkincaid16

Lady Fallon Brightmore secretly thought the Earl of Hampton, Braeden Kerrich, rather dashing. But at their f... More

SYNOPSIS
PROLOGUE
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue

Chapter 21

108K 3.3K 153
By Sinaidkincaid16

Soundly asleep, Fallon stirred when she was disturbed by a noise in the room. A chamber maid entered, noisily drawing the curtains apart, unsettling Fallon's sleep. Thinking it was Braeden, her face broke into a smile, but when she saw the sour looking maid tugging at the curtains, Fallon pulled up the sheets to her chin.

'What are you doing?' Fallon questioned, her voice fused with sleep.

Unsmilingly, the maid answered. 'The morning is almost over. I'm letting in some fresh air and sun.'

Fallon noted the maid did not even bother with a greeting. Neither did she address Fallon by her title, as was expected of the servants.

Her husband was out again obviously. Judging by the cold empty spot next to her, Braeden had awoken a long time ago. Fallon was still tired. Her husband had kept her awake till early in the morning hours. She smiled inwardly. In no mood for the standoffish servants, the empty mansion, or breakfast all alone again, she saw no need to rise early. Neither did she have any engagements this morning.

'Please close the curtains,' Fallon instructed. 'Return when I am downstairs having breakfast.'

Fallon turned her back and closed her eyes again. She did not wait for the maid to respond and so did not see the cold, hostile expression on the maid's face.

After breakfast, she was totally bored and in need of something to do. She thought the layout of the drawing room was in dire need of reorganizing. Certain that the servants would be uncooperative, she mentally shrugged that thought away and soldiered on anyway. Much to the consternation of the servants, Fallon issued the instruction for the furniture to be rearranged in the drawing room. She ignored their disapproving glances and exercised her authority as the lady of the manor. She thought it ghastly the way the huge dividers took up so much space, obscuring the sunlight from entering the room. It gave the drawing room, a dark, unwelcoming, morbid look. The dividers were moved to the windowless wall of the room. The sofas were invitingly spread about around the fireplace. Fallon ordered a pedestal be found to hold a vase and a bouquet of daffodils be placed on the pedestal. When they were done, Fallon could have sworn there was respectful approval in the eyes of the servants at how much more spacious, airy and attractive the room looked.

'Ah, this is most refreshing,' Braeden walked in smilingly, laying a hand gently on Fallon's shoulder to acknowledge her.

'It looked very unwelcoming before,' Fallon laughed, looking up at Braeden. She observed the servants were suddenly fully of energy, deferential towards their master, whose eyes stayed trained on his gorgeous wife.

'Did you have a good morning?' She smiled, unable to hide her pleasure at the sight of Braeden, her hand instinctively rested on his chest indifferent to the presence of the insolent servants.

'I went to inspect some of the agriculture on one of our farms,' he smiled, readily including Fallon as co-owner of his portfolio of assets.

If he was offering her a plausible explanation for his absence, Fallon knew he was being truthful. It was when he remained silent or not forthcoming with information that confirmed her suspicions of her husband's clandestine whereabouts. Fallon smiled at him again.

'It is a beautiful day, my lady. Let us go riding,' he invited.

Joy surged through her. 'I'd love that,' she answered. 'Shall I change into my riding habit?' She silently hoped he was not going to use a carriage.

'Yes,' he nodded. 'Nothing like riding a mount in open spaces and fresh air hitting against one's face,' he smiled.

She clutched his arm with her two hands. 'I won't be long,' she promised.

Fallon ran upstairs, ignoring the censorious looks the servants tried to hide at the countess of the house running about like a wayward, undisciplined child.

The following morning Fallon was coming down the stairs, she was just in time to see Braeden about to leave. He was rather late in leaving this morning, she was surprised to see.

'Are you going to pay court to another of your lady loves?' Fallon accused.

Braeden's eyebrows shot up in surprise. Did she really believe he had the time or energy to take on a mistress, when there were not enough hours in the day to see to all his properties and their enduring need for maintenance? His wife more than satisfied his sexual appetite to the extent that no other lady aroused or appealed to him. When he was not with Fallon, only thoughts of her...erotic thoughts invaded his memory that he yearned for her and only her in his arms and in his bed. How could she even begin to entertain any thoughts that he wanted or took to bed any lovers? Didn't she know that even though he had had many lovers in his past that he only engaged in relations with one lady at a time? And why does she suspect him of infidelity? He took his marriage vows seriously. He would honour the lady he exchanged the vows with. Her accusation rung in his ears ... tore at his heart, yet it amused him the way her sapphire eyes flared, the way her shoulders stood arrow straight ready to do battle with him. She had such a fiery spirit.

'It matters to you where I go, does it?' He taunted.

Off course it did, but she would not give him the satisfaction of confirming that. 'None,' she forced out rather quickly.

She was tired of spending so much time alone each day. She ate lunch alone. Every morning after breakfast she would walk about a different part of the vast estate, sampling the fruit fresh off the trees. Occasionally she would swim in the refreshing water in the lake.

On some days, she would be surprised to find Braeden waiting for her in the breakfast room. Her eyes would light up. Her heart would beat wildly to see him still at home. Braeden would courteously stand up, give her a polite peck on the cheek and hold out a chair for her. It was difficult to restrain herself when all she wanted to do was throw her arms around him, kiss him passionately, but with the servants present, she had to maintain a civil, impersonal stance.

Braeden saw the quick flash of disappointment in her eyes before she dropped her eyelids. He had an appointment with some of his labourers in an hour. He decided on the spur of that moment that his wife would accompany him today. She was probably going to be bored out of her eyeballs, but if his lady wife was going to throw accusations at him then she deserved to sit through the events of his day even if it was going to bore her to death.

'Go and put on your riding habit my lady.'

Fallon's eyes widened. 'I beg your pardon!'

'You're coming with me. Now hurry,' he instructed.

'But ___ where ___ where are you taking me?'

He was going to be mending leaking roofs and repairing broken fences but she can view that for herself later.

'Fallon. I am running late. I want you changed now,' he turned her around and playfully smacked her petite bottom.

'Eeeh!,' she jumped in surprise at his gentle spanking.

Braeden chuckled. 'Do hurry, my lady.'

When Fallon came down the stairs dressed in one of her new riding habits, Braeden was waiting at the foot of the stairs with a bonnet for her. 'You look beautiful,' he complimented, appreciative that Fallon had not kept him waiting too long.

'Thank you,' she mumbled.

Braeden waited whilst Fallon quickly gulped down a rushed breakfast.

'There you go,' he placed a flowery hat deftly over her head.

'Where are we going?' She enquired again.

'You'll see,' he smirked mysteriously.

Enthralled that she was going to be in his company, spending more time with him, she bridled her curiosity. Wherever they were going, Fallon was certainly going to enjoy it as long as she was spending the time with her husband.

She hid her disappointment when Braeden's carriage stopped at what looked like a decrepit cottage. The roof looked like it was installed a hundred years ago. Some of the windows were broken. Paint was peeling of the walls. The wooden fence was broken in many places. The grass was overgrown. Beautiful sunflowers, daisies and geraniums plants were shrouded amongst tall blades of grass, near the house. Her attention was diverted by Braeden jumping off and holding out his arms to her.

She looked at his outstretched arms hesitatingly. She refused to set her feet on the wild unruly grass. What if snakes were creeping about under the grass? She gave a slight shudder. 'Braeden ___ what are we doing here?'

'Working,' he supplied smugly.

'"W ___ working?"'

'Yes, we're going to fix up the place,' he promptly hoisted her out of the carriage.

'No! Don't put me down,' she clung to him tightly.

Braeden laughed softly. 'Much as it delights me to have your luscious body wrapped around me, my lady wife,' he murmured in her ear, 'we have lots to do.'

'"We?"' She echoed softly, staring into his charcoal eyes, wondering what exactly was she supposed to do. And just that moment, two other carriages stopped behind Braeden's. So entranced were they gazing into each other's' eyes that they only heard the noisy carriages when they were almost upon them.

'My staff have arrived,' Braeden smiled, slowly releasing her.

Fallon felt her body sliding down the length of Braeden's. She still clung to him, hiding her face against the crook of his shoulder. 'What if ___ what if ___ there are snakes or ___ creatures?' She stammered against his shirt.

Braeden threw his head back and laughed. 'What happened to the fierce, spirited girl I wed?' He teased.

Fallon's eyes darted about the ground cautiously. 'Don't laugh at me,' she scolded him.

Braeden placed his arm around her shoulder. This plot is so abandoned, even the wild life find it unappealing.

'Are you sure?' She tentatively took two steps away from Braeden. At the corner of her eye Fallon saw the workers gradually hopping of the carriage and waited for Braeden to address them.

'Why are you fixing this crumbling and battered property?' She murmured softly.

'I just purchased it from a gentleman who wasted away all his money gambling and could not afford the maintenance it required,' he took her arm and led her to some shade under a huge gum tree.

'But you already have so many properties?'

Braeden laughed as he spread out a blanket for Fallon. She had not even known that he'd been so thoughtful and carried a blanket for her. 'This property is excellent for breeding horses and has an abundant water supply for farming,' he pointed to the meandering river running through the property. 'Besides one cannot have too much,' he grinned. 'Especially he murmured in her ear, making a heady feeling rush through her. 'I want to make sure all our children are sufficiently provided for.'

'"All our children?'" She laughed awkwardly. She was not even with child right now.

'I think eight,' he cocked his head thoughtfully.

'You're mad,' she gasped and sucked in a huge breath.

He smiled and gently pushed her shoulders, so Fallon fell onto the blanket. She was about to tell him off, for shoving her, but she heard the quiet chuckling of Braeden's workers and held back. A surreptitious glance their way, saw them patiently waiting for their master. Each one had his hat in hand, respectfully awaiting orders. She slowly looked up into Braeden's face and found his eyes trained on her with wry amusement.

'I will get you back,' she whispered, her blood shot lips so beautifully rounded.

She heard his roar of laughter before Braeden handed her three books, pleasantly to her surprise.

'In case you get tired of watching me work,' he taunted, his eyes raking over her bosom.

'Do not flatter yourself, Hampton,' she'd never called him that directly to his face.

'Right, let me get to work,' he turned away, before Fallon could think of a response.

'Braeden ___ .'

He stopped, looked over his shoulder. 'It is ___ safe here right?' She looked at him pleadingly.

'As safe as you feel in my arms,' he winked and resumed walking to his men.

Fallon blushed profusely thinking how accurate that was. She trusted him implicitly when she was in his arms. Nothing and no one could ever harm her. Braeden would protect her with his life. She just knew that. Fallon smiled to herself feasting her eyes on Braeden's retreating back. Unashamedly her eyes indulged on his stout burly frame. She listened as Braeden divided his men and issued instructions to them. Some men carried corrugated sheets from their carriage towards the house. Others were carrying buckets of paint and brushes. Braeden moved further away from Fallon with some of the men towards the broken fence. She sighed softly, tucked her legs under her skirt and looked down at one of the books she had opened, only to discover it was upside down. She quickly turned it the right way around.

Fallon tried to focus on reading, but she was distracted. Watching Braeden was far more appealing. He had rolled up his sleeves. She could see the bulging muscles on display each time he pounded the hammer against the wood. Perspiration trickled down his face, Braeden swiped his arm across his face. Fallon longed to go to him, and swab down his face with the cool refreshing water from the river.

Bored to tears, Fallon stood up to stretch her aching legs. She looked at the house that was beginning to show some aesthetic appeal. The old sheets had being stripped of the roof. Bright shiny ones were being fitted. Some men were stripping of the old paint whilst others were washing it with a fresh new coat in white. Intrigued about the house, Fallon went to investigate. She stepped through the threshold and found the interior was still in good condition. There was not the opulence that was present at the Hampton estate, but the carpet was clean and still good. The oak furniture was dusty but nothing a good polish and shine could not remedy. The kitchen was in need of much attention. There was a strong odour from excessive dampness. Some of the cupboard doors were falling apart. Cobwebs were visible in the corners. Fallon shivered and hurried out again.

As Fallon stepped out again, her eye was caught by huge ripe, juicy looking strawberries growing wildly near, what was once a beautiful flower bed. Cautiously she tiptoed over the grass and bent down over the strawberries. She plucked one, gently wiped it against her shirt and bit into it. She closed her eyes, savouring the delicious taste. Fallon plucked a handful with the thought of taking them to Braeden. She stopped herself. What if he did not want to be disturbed? What if he got annoyed because they were busy working and she distracted his servants' attention? Fallon placed them carefully on some leaves. She would take them to Braeden later when they stopped for a break.

It was some three hours later when Braeden thought to steal another look at his adorable wife. Earlier when he had looked over his shoulder, her head was bowed and she was staring sightlessly at her book. He had smiled to himself. She was not one to sit still for two long. Braeden doubted that book reading was an ideal past time for Fallon, not whilst she was outdoors. Still he had dragged her here with him, so she could see how he occupied his days ... not as she thought cavorting with other women.

He stood up and arched his neck, searching for Fallon, she was not on the blanket under the tree. He turned around fully, stretching his neck muscles, trying to ease the knot in his shoulders as he scanned the property looking for Fallon. Did she go to the river for a drink of water? Braeden took a few steps and stopped dead in his tracks. He was shocked and speechless to find his wife on her knees, pulling at the roots of grass and weeds around the flower bed. She had managed to clean out quite a large patch. He could now see a fair amount of the rich soil that one could not have seen before with the way the grass had been growing so wildly. He smiled proudly, Fallon was being quite creative. She had found a sturdy tree branch, used the sharper narrower end to fork the soil around the flowers. He could now clearly see what was once a beautiful flower bed. Gone was her fear of unknown danger lurking in the grass. She worked methodically pulling at the roots, shaking them vigorously and tossing them in a neat pile to her right. Pride and joy consumed Braeden. He had thought Fallon would demand to be taken home after thirty minutes. He had thought she would complain about being brought to this decrepit rundown plot instead she was putting her shoulders to the grindstone and working just like his servants, without complaint and without being asked.

'My lady?'

Fallon looked up surprised to see Braeden smiling down at her admiringly. She ran the back of her wrist across her forehead wiping the bead of perspiration that had formed.

'Braeden ___,' she smiled delightedly. 'Look,' she picked up the strawberries and offered them to him in the palms of her hands. 'They're delicious. I've eaten at least half a dozen,' she giggled. 'Try one,' she rose to her feet, offering him one to sample.

Braeden's eyes did not leave hers. He lifted her hand to his mouth and gently bit into the fruit, licking her finger, where a little juice had trickled. '

'Delicious indeed,' he agreed, his eyes still holding hers.

Fallon smiled shyly. She was so sure he was not talking about the fruit.

'Come, we shall have some lunch,' he took her one hand and tucked it into his arm.

'"Lunch?" You have food?'

'Yes,' he laughed. 'Cook packed a basket.'

Fallon saw the men were resting under some shady trees a little distance away. They also had containers spread out before them and they were hungrily tucking away.

'I think I am hungry,' she laughed. The aromatic smells from the basket Braeden retrieved from the carriage was making her stomach rumble. She sat down eagerly on the blanket and waited for Braeden to open it up. There were sandwiches with roast chicken, a salad with tomatoes, cucumber and carrots and lemonade to drink.

'Oh thank you my lord, this is delicious,' she accepted the plate he handed to her and greedily bit into a sandwich.

Braeden told Fallon of the plans he had for the property. He invited her to change the décor in the kitchen. She nodded enthusiastically. She enjoyed working with him. She wanted to make a contribution. She was delighted that Braeden was inviting her participation.

'I'm sure I could help with those sheets,' she made an industrious offer after a while, when the men resumed their work on the roof.

Braeden threw his head back and laughed.

'What is so funny?' She smiled curiously. It looked easy. Two men held the sheets down as another was pounding nails onto the sheets with a hammer.

'Thank you, for your kind offer my sweet,' he declined. 'I do not want you falling from the roof and rest assured my men would take offence if I allowed the Countess of Hampton to work like a labourer on the roof.'

'It looks easy enough,' she argued.

He smiled and boldly pressed a kiss to her cheek. 'Why don't you rest here,' he made a pillow with some protective cloths from inside the picnic basket.

'But I was busy with the flower bed.'

'You've done enough for one day,' my lady. His tone was gentle but she heard the authority it carried.

'Fine,' she sulked. The sun had got quite hot. She wished she could take a dip in the refreshing river, but she had not brought a change of clothing and she did not think Braeden would appreciate her frolicking in the water, distracting his workers.

'We won't be much longer,' he promised. 'Then we can return home.'

Fallon stirred, feeling her cheeks against Braeden's warm, muscular chest.

'Braeden ___,' she whispered.

'Sssh,' his arms tightened around her body. 'We're going home,' he stepped into his carriage with her still in his arms.

'Who's driving?' She mumbled sleepily.

'One of my men,' he pressed his lips to her cheek. 'Go back to sleep,' he whispered softly, adjusting her body, so she was comfortable in his lap.

When Braeden spent time with her like now, Fallon's love for him, soared in leaps and bounds. When he left her while she still slept, it infuriated her that he slipped away to go and cavort with his mistresses. She hated that she hurt ... hated that she loved him...but she would not dwell on that now. He was with her now, she would enjoy every second of their time together and tonight, guests were arriving to take supper with them, so Fallon was ecstatic that she would have her husband to herself the entire day and night. Ah the nights, what could she say; they were like being in heaven or another planet. Her husband was a spectacular lover and he showered her with love and attention in bed. How she wished she could have an extra six hours of the night.

A few days later, Fallon requested a bath filled for her to soak in. She had washed her hair with the maid's help and was now luxuriating in the foamy bath when the door swung open.

Fallon gasped. She sunk lower into the water. 'What are you doing here?' Her eyes widened at Braeden unbuttoning his shirt. She had been bored waiting for Braeden to return from wherever he had spent the entire day and had decided to taken an early bath.

'I am joining you in your bath,' he discarded his shirt. His fingers dropped to his trousers.

The blood burned in her cheeks. 'That is absurd!' Yet her eyes feasted on the bulging muscles of his chest.

Braeden smirked as his eyes followed her very expressive ones. She pushed a hand through the soft fall of her blonde hair.

'If ___if this is a cost saving measure,' she stammered, ' you can ask papa to increase my dowry.'

She thought she'd insulted him enough that he would walk away. Little did she know that he had declined her father's offer of dowry. Not by a single flicker of his eyelashes did he register her hit, as his trousers fell to his ankles.

Weakly her eyes fell to his strapping thighs. Her fingers tingled to touch the curly hairs spread over its muscular strength. She inhaled heavily and again attempted to prevent him joining her bath. After all it could only accommodate one person, for heaven's sake!

'There are certain things a lady likes to do in private,' her eyes lifted to his feebly.

'You have no need of privacy from me,' he removed the last layers of clothing and promptly climbed into her bath.

Fallon gasped, automatically shifting to accommodate him next to her.

'That won't be necessary,' he proceeded to hoist her soap-sudded body and swapped places with her.

'W_what are you doing?' Her hands grabbed onto his shoulders as he promptly held her waist in position.

Fallon's cheeks burned with embarrassment. She found she was straddling him. Her soft bottom was delicately cushioned on his sturdy thighs. Her knees tucked under his arms, her ankles pressed against his sides. His eyes were alight with obvious desire, trained on her now clearly visible pert nipples. Fallon quickly covered her chest with her hands. Braeden laughed and removed her hands.

'Why? You were so much more bolder before we wed, my lady,' he mocked, as his fingers flirtatiously traced the soap bubbles on her breast.

She slapped his hand away. 'I do not wish to have you in my bath tub.' Her voiced betrayed the intrigue coursing through her. She had never shared a bath with anybody, least of all, a strapping, hunk of a man who just happened to be her husband.

'Such a pity, my lady,' his fingers slid around her, framing her slender back. 'This is precisely what I do wish,' he drew her closer, the soapy water easily bringing her flush towards his naked hips. His fingers gently caressed up and down her back. She shuddered from the erotic sensation.

'You grow more beautiful each day,' he murmured softly as his lips teased her throat.

Her eyes shut. A soft sigh escaped her throat. Her fingers sunk into his damp curly hair.

He kissed her deeply, his hand closed over firm breast, his thumb stoking the erect nipple. Fallon groaned softly as he deepened the kiss. Gently he lifted her one more time. His thighs curved around her shapely hips, as he pulled her closer against his pelvis

'Braeden!' she wheezed delightedly, feeling his pulsating arousal. She smiled, leaned into him, tightening her arms around him.

After many more long days left to her own devices, Fallon waited patiently for Braeden to walk through the door as supper was being laid out. She sat down to supper... alone. Braeden was late. A servant hovered, ever on call awaiting her every command. Disappointment washed over her, but she brushed it aside. He would arrive any minute now. And just then the door opened, in walked Braeden, his commanding presence energizing the quiet room. Fallon's countenance brightened.

'Good evening my lady,' he smiled, walking towards her to greet her. 'My apologies to keep you waiting,' he sighed. 'Procuring the horses took longer than expected.'

Fallon smiled as he pressed a kiss to her cheek. He did not smell of ladies perfume. He did not look like he had just indulged in amorous coupling ... and Fallon would know what his eyes looked like after making love. He did smell of the fresh air, the feint scent of horses, hay and leather about him.

Spontaneously her arms wound around his neck. She did not care that the servant's feet shuffled uncomfortably, keeping his head low, respectfully away from his master and his wife embracing. Braeden's arms were light at her elbows, but Fallon was determined to break through his stoical stance. Her mouth opened, kissing him passionately in a slow erotic caress.

'Fallon,' he groaned softly, tightening his arms around her body, deepening the kiss. She pulled away smiling victoriously, delighted that she was able to break through his defenses.

'I hope you are hungry,' her eyes lifted to his, her palm cupping his cheek. 'I had the chef prepare a feast for you.'

'You did?' He laughed softly, surprised that his wife had taken the trouble to do something just for him.

'Happy birthday, my lord.'

'You know?' He smiled in surprise.

She laughed softly. 'You shall get your present ... later,' she whispered. When his eyes darkened knowingly, she kissed his lips again and quickly moved away incase Braeden had any ideas of carrying her upstairs. He was not going to spoil the sumptuous supper that was waiting.

Fallon chose not to inform her husband of the battle she had had to do with the head chef, when she wanted to change the menu. The head chef thought she ruled the kitchen and not the countess, but Fallon was quite comfortable with her position as countess. She issued the instruction and quite calmly told the head chef she would be replaced if she had a problem following orders.

With Braeden previously deferring the management of the mansion to his grandmother, clearly the dowager had given the servants too much leverage and Fallon's authority was being tested now by various quarters. Little did the insolent servants know that Fallon had absolutely no intention of relinquishing authority to the hired help. Did they not know of her rebellious spirit when challenged? Meekly acquiescing Fallon's orders, the head chef had quietly went about preparing the menu exactly to the letter, as Fallon knew she would.

Having observed through the month of being married, exactly what Braeden's likes and preferences were, Fallon had ensured every favourite dish of Braeden's would be on the menu. She was totally vindicated when Braeden profusely thanked his wife in front of the chef and the rest of the kitchen staff for the effort she had made for him on his special day.

Fallon wanted to throw her arms around him, hop onto his lap and seduce him madly, but she restrained herself ... till later

-end chapter twenty one-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4M 252K 27
Isabella Stanford never thought that one day she would have the Playboy Billionaire hottie for a guardian but did when her parents died in a tragic a...
22.9K 354 48
As you can see this is a valduggery fanfic. Stephanie edgley, Valkyrie Cain, darquesse has fallen for her partner in crime skulduggery pleasant, lord...
72.6K 4K 58
#1 - bestlovestory "A virgin" he said as more of a realisation than a question. "Yeah. But only for a few more seconds" she said. He smiled. And th...
110K 5.1K 25
''Let me help you, ma'am,'' a man who was probably the flight attendant said. Damn. Ryerson Reeds even had handsome flight attendants. The man stoope...