984 (Complex Series, #2)

By AnneBrees

-second book in Complex series- Piper purposely gets herself sent to the Unknown in search for a rebel grou... More

Before you read...
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Author's Note

Chapter Sixteen

637 39 17
By AnneBrees

Miranda's eyes widen. She quickly taps something into a hologram that's floating above her desk. After a couple seconds, she nods. "Right, your number was 629. I'm sorry for not letting you know. I didn't think to check to see if any of Josh's roommates were here.  It's been really hectic trying to figure everything out." She looks at him apologetically. 

"It's okay, I understand. I couldn't do what you do. But, can I see him? He and I were pretty close."

Miranda asks, "His name was Josh, right?"

His voice gets really soft, "Yeah.  It was Josh, Canton, Seth, and I. I was sent to the Unknown right after we started-" He cuts off. 

"Right before you what?"

"I can't offie lie to you, but don't tell anyone. Josh, Canton, and I used to sneak out at night. We were stupid ten years and I got caught."

Miranda types more information into the hologram. She reads something that pops up, "You said you were sent here because you were talking negatively about the Windsors during Free Hour and some Official heard you. That's what you told us when you came here."

Marcus rocks from foot to foot, "Yeah. I was an Eeke, you know? I was so scared right after I got away from those Ecru. I don't know, I just thought that if I admitted to what I did, maybe I'd get sent back or something. So I lied. I was just some scared little ten year, I guess. Once I completely recovered, I just, I didn't feel like it was important to tell anybody the truth."

Miranda types more information into the hologram. She speaks quietly. "Canton is here."

Marcus' eyes brighten. "He is? When did he get here? Why haven't you notified me?"

Miranda takes a deep breath, "He's an Eeke. He's been very violent since he got here. We only figured out his Complex number a couple of hours ago."

Marcus shakes his slowly, "Wow, three Eeke roommates, that has to be a record, righ? Seth is the only one left, huh. I suppose, he always did play it safe. He never snuck out.  He worked just behind the scenes."

Marcus seems to realize that we are sitting right in front of him. "I'm sorry Miranda. I realize that I may have given away some classified information in front of these two girls."

Miranda waves it aside with her hand, "It's fine, Marcus. I would have stop you if they couldn't have heard. They know more about this business than you would expect."

Marcus looks confused. "How would they know stuff about Josh and Canton?  I mean, they're girls.  In the Complex, boys and girls don't mix."

"Apparently they do."

"What?"  

Miranda sighs, "It's really complicated. At the meeting, we will be discussing this."

Marcus nods.

What meeting? I want to ask, but I doubt either of them will answer me. It's probably something that you have to do once you have your Pros.

Unless it’s the rebellious meeting.

Marcus clears his throat, "If it's possible, Miranda, I want to see Canton and Josh."

Miranda seems to be thinking, "Would you be willing to try to get a reaction out of Canton? Maybe you would be able to trigger his memory and sanity?"

Marcus quickly bobs his head yes.

Miranda checks her Notice, "It's a little late. As much as I want to go now, the Nurses will be wrapping up their day and most of them will be eating. Tomorrow, you and I will go, eighth hour." She pauses. "Actually, Piper, I want you to come with us."

Why does she want me to come with her? Canton never met me when we were in the Complex. Unless it has something to do with Bridget...

Marcus looks confused, "Why her? She's a Rivie isn't she?"

"Yeah, but it seems as though she was quite busy in the Complex."

"What do you mean?"

Miranda shakes her head, "Like I said, we will discuss this at the meeting." 

Marcus clears his throat again, "Right. I have to be back to my Pros. Thanks Miranda for everything. I guess I'll see you tomorrow morning, eighth hour."

Miranda smiles weakly as Marcus leaves.

Miranda speaks, "Dana and Piper, I have something to tell you. Well, actually, Piper you already pretty much know, so this is more for Dana. Dana, it's obvious that you don't like the Heads or Officials."

Dana nods hesitantly.

Miranda continues, "Would you like to join this group we have, that is meant to...sort of mess with the Heads. It's almost like a rebellious group."

Dana's mouth drops open. 

Why is Dana so surprised? Didn't she at least suspect that there was a rogue group in the Unknown?

Dana closes her mouth and then opens it again. She slouches in her chair. "But I thought..." She trails off.

Then she smiles ruefully and starts shaking her head, she mumbles under her breath, "Oh, that's just like him...that's so offie like him..."

"Dana?" Miranda looks concerned.

Dana purses her lips together, "I promised secrecy. I can't go back on my word."

Miranda narrows her eyes. "I command you, as Leader of the Unknown, to tell me."

Dana narrows her eyes back and sits up straighter. This is the Dana I remember. The Dana who was defiant and confident. The Dana I've been seeing the Unknown has been giggly and dumb. Why the change?

Dana looks Miranda in the eye and says, "What do you want me to tell you?"

Miranda leans forward, "Don't play around with me. Spill."

"Wish I could. I stick to my word."

Miranda says, her voice filled with warning, "Dana. You are crossing authority."

Dana smiles grimly, "I've never been one to obey authority much."

Miranda's voice is slow and quiet, "I command you to tell me."

Dana laughs.

I cower slightly in my chair.  As much as I love seeing the old Dana, she is picking the fight with the wrong person. Why can't she see that we need Miranda on our side if we are ever going to get anything accomplished?

Miranda slumps back into her seat. Anyone else would look defeated in that position, but Miranda almost looks scarier. She crosses her arms over her stomach. "What's it going to take for you to tell me what you know?"

Dana smirks, "You could say please?" 

Miranda smirks right back, "Don't make me use force. You know full well what I've been trained to do. You know I could knock you out without even batting an eye."

Dana's demeanor falters only slightly, "You could, but you wouldn't. It wouldn't make you look like a very good leader if you started knocking random girls out."

Tense silence fills the room for minutes. Miranda and Dana seem to be having a stare down. I sit awkwardly in my chair, trying to attract any attention.

Miranda stands and smiles, "Fine. You want to be stubborn, I'll let you be stubborn. While you sit there, Piper and I are going to go get some food.  We will be back in a couple minutes or so."

I keep my eyes on Dana as Miranda practically drags me away. The second we get out of the room, Miranda begins fuming under her breath. 

Miranda turns to me, "In the Complex, how did she act?  Did she act all cheerful and bubbly? Or was she serious and stubborn like she is now?"

Without hesitating I say, "Definitely serious and stubborn. It's amazing that she didn't get herself sent to the Complex sooner."

"So she's definitely rebellious?" 

"She was the one who pushed Brinn to keep on visiting with Josh." 

We walk in to the Eating Hall and get in line at the counter. The Eating Hall is about half-way filled. Most people are wearing serious expressions and talk in hushed voices. They must be talking about Josh, the dead Eeke. At the thought of Josh, tears begin prickling in my eyes. I quickly blink them away and begin to pile food on the tray. 

I grab a piece of warm bread, some sauce, a Vita, and a glass of water. Miranda piles her tray with basically the same thing. 

Miranda leads me back out of the Eating Hall.

I asl, "Are we allowed to eat outside of the Eating Hall?" 

Miranda laughs, "I love Rivies. Of course we can eat outside of the Eating Hall. As long as we return the trays, the Kitchens are fine with it. We will go back to my office."

I smiles slowly, "And you’re trying to bribe Dana with it?"

Miranda grins back, "I need a break from her and it just might work. Besides, I am hungry."

We make our way back to her office. When we walk through the door, Dana turns around in her seat. Her face turns bright red and she faces the front again.  Miranda plops her tray down on her desk and takes a seat. I quickly follow. 

I can practically see Dana's stubbornness crumbling away. As if on cue, her stomach growls. 

Dana rolls her eyes, "Fine. What do you want to know?"

The corners of Miranda's mouth turn up in a smile, "Why were you so surprised that I was part of a rebellious group?"

Dana bit her lip, "Christopher told us you banned rogue groups from forming in the Unknown.  He said you were against them."

Miranda purses her lips, "Christopher said that? Why were you talking to Christopher about that kind-of thing?"

Dana shifts in her chair, "If anyone asks, you required me to say this, right? I didn't say this willfully?"

Miranda scoffs, "You certainly didn't say it willfully. Why is it such a big deal?"

"And you won't tell anyone?"

Miranda shakes her head, "I can't promise that. It depends on what it is."

"You won't tell anyone I told you?" 

Miranda rolls her eyes, "Sure. Quit stalling and just tell me."

Dana takes a deep breath, "I was so surprised because I didn't know there were two rebellious groups in the Unknown."

Miranda looks confused, "There aren't two rebellious groups in the Unknown. There's only one, us."

Dana shakes her head, "There have to be two. Unless your part of Christopher's rogue group."

Miranda quickly sits forward, "Christopher has a rogue group?"

Dana nods, "Yeah. We met every once in a while. There was a meeting today in the Eating Hall. Christopher was telling us about the dead Eeke."

Miranda narrows her eyes, "Christopher was telling you about that before I authorized him to?"

"Yeah, but don't tell him I told you. I would be considered a traitor and be kicked out of the group. Some of my best Rebs wouldn't talk to me ever again. Don't tell anyone about this, please." Dana pleads.

Miranda seems to be lost in thought. Dana glances worriedly at me. I just shrug. There are two rebellious groups in the Unknown? I'm supposed to find the one rebellious group in the Unknown and unite them with the rebellious group of Officials. What am I supposed to do with two groups?

Miranda mutters under her breath, "I guess I always suspected but...he's done a good job of keeping it hidden..."

Miranda stands suddenly, "Right. Um...Dana, you're probably really hungry and...um...Charlotte's probably waiting for Piper and...I've got things I need to do..."

Dana's forehead wrinkles, "But you won't tell anyone, right? I've sworn secrecy and-"

Miranda cuts her off, "I won't tell Christopher that you told me. But, I think we should unite groups."

Dana's mouth drops, "Do you think that's a good idea? I mean, it's you and Christopher who are leaders of the groups, so who would be the one leader of the one group? I think there's a reason that you've been separate until now, you think? I mean..." Dana trails off.

Miranda begins pacing throughout the length of the room. Dana and I share an uncertain glance.

Miranda turns to us, "I'm going to ask you to leave. I...I won't tell anyone about this until I speak to you again."

Dana nods slowly. We both stand. I haven't taken a bite of my food. I grab the tray, trying to carefully balance everything on it. Just before we exit through the door, Miranda asks me, "Does trouble always seem to follow you around like this?"

I swallow, "Sometimes, you need to make trouble to make things better."

Miranda smiles, sadly, "We have enough trouble in the Unknown."

Dana and I step out into the hall, as the door is closing, I say, "Then things can only get better."

Miranda whispers, "They're not."

The door closes completely before I can respond. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 326 30
This is the sequel to Ultimately Unlucky. The main character and her sister were able to successfully escape from the school alive, but for a price. ...
49.2K 3.4K 42
[Book 2 of the Within the Walls Trilogy.] Secrets and lies do not die with the tyrant. With him gone, and the city ripped open, Elle is forced to ven...
739 50 25
'There's something beyond the mirrors...' She should probably be choosing her majors for college, considering a career, and the direction for the res...