Blood Lust

By AuthorJasmineGarcia

[UNEDITED] Something about the way she smiled was faux. Like the lashes that lined her eyelids. Like the make... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Finding Joy
Chapter Two: Slow Down
Chapter Three: Vicious Cycle
Chapter Four: Dinner Date
Chapter Five: A Look Into the Past
Chapter Six: Princeton Avenue
Chapter Eight: Incriminating Isaiah
Chapter Nine: Sharing a Dance
Chapter Ten: A Gift of Encouragement
Chapter Eleven: Withdrawal
Chapter Twelve: Out Cold
Chapter Thirteen: Guilty Verdict
Chapter Fourteen: Cutting Ties and Butterflies
Chapter Fifteen: Rehab [Part One]
Chapter Sixteen: Rehab [Part Two]
Chapter Seventeen: Passion
Chapter Eighteen: Tears on the Runway
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter Seven: Safe Haven

780 56 0
By AuthorJasmineGarcia

                        Joy blinked lazily up at the ceiling of the hotel room, his money flaunted all around the room. From the spacious walls to the excessive amounts of furniture for only one vampire, she knew he had money and he was rooted deep into the wealthy system of high class vampires. That was no surprise considering he was associated with the kings of the vampire race.

        He stood near the large window, sleeves rolled up to his elbow, nice suit jacket cast aside

        "Was it always like this for you? There was never a time where you felt safe and happy?"

        Her head was spinning, trying to grasp an answer. Her heart beat at a soothing rhythm in her chest as opposed to jumping about frantically, an overwhelming calmness taking hold of her, for the zannies she swallowed welcomed her into tranquility.

        Her dilated pupils were searching for an answer in each car headlight that passed through the room as they drove by outside.

        "Yes." She answered in a monotonous tone. "When my mother took me to see to see The Nutcracker on Broadway." Joy closed her eyes. "It was my birthday, and I turned five." Joy began. "I had never been to an actual performance, I would just see them occasionally on T.V when my mother would take me to the laundry mat. But that time, I remembered sitting in the audience in happiness. If I try hard enough, I could still see each bright light and hear the gentle music roaring through the theatre. The costumes, the dancers, the sets. They were all so beautiful and dazzling to five-year-old me, and they still are now that I think about it. Even now I could see the entire piece in my head. It's burned into my memory. I was so excited when the ballet dancers would walk across the stage on the tips of their shoes, spinning and becoming one with the music. I remembered being anxious in my seat. All moving around, my heart racing as I looked up at my exhausted mother." Joy paused, feeling her lashes growing moist." She must have worked many night shifts to get middle seat tickets." Her mother worked two jobs just to feed them, she could only imagine how hard she must have worked for those tickets.

        Joy's eyes opened. "I felt safe there in that auditorium. Like I belonged. I knew I wanted to be there, and since that night I would always be dancing. I never stopped, but it all seems so distant now. Like it was all a stupid dream." She blinked back tears, and wasn't sure why she was spilling her guts to him, but he appeared to be sincere, and she needed for once, just someone to listen to her. No one appeared to care, and even if he didn't, at least he pretended to.

        "Did you ever go to see another performance after that?" Joy shook her head, her voice softening.

        "My mother couldn't afford it, and two years later she met him. And that's when I stopped knowing what happiness felt like. I only ever remember how it feels when I'm high. And then it's gone." Tobias cast his coffee orbs to her.

        "What if I offered to take you to one? Would you like that?" Joy squinted her gaze to him, utterly confused.

        "And why the fuck would you offer that for? I barely know you." Tobias moved from the window and approached her form that lay sprawled out on his bed, trusting the perfect stranger that sat beside her with caution.

        "I don't know if you remember me, Joy. You most likely do not, but seven years ago, you ran into me, and I looked into your drunken eyes and I knew you needed help. As you stumbled away, I could only hope I'd get to see you again and now I have. I won't let this slip through my fingers. I would like to get to know you better, so if you would give me the chance and allow me to set a date to go to a show, I would be the utmost grateful." Joy was stunned into silence by his kind words. Seven years ago...Joy could not recall ever meeting him, probably whacked out of her mind no surprise, but she had a familiar feeling about meeting him when they had first met, so maybe that had been why.  He didn't appear to have any hidden schemes in his sweet eyes. Not like Isaiah's mischievous gaze she was helplessly drawn to.

        "I get off work early on Friday. Can you set it up for then?" The words left her mouth faster than she could stop them. It was too late to take them back when he smiled down at her, pearly white teeth glistening against the soft street lights that shone in through the window.

        "Friday evening it is. Until then, you should get some rest." Tobias murmured.  "Does that bruise hurt?" Joy shook her head. She couldn't feel a thing. Nothing aside from exhaustion breaking in her bones as she laid comfortably. She didn't feel as if she had to keep one eye open with him, for he left her beside and sat in the seat near the television set, almost as if he understood she wanted the peace of mind of him being a safe distance away.

        Not soon after did she fall asleep, passing out until the following morning when she was withdrawing and aching.

        Joy pushed herself up from the bed, grabbing her head and hissing in pain.

        Disoriented, she frantically looked around at the unfamiliar place, shielded by the darkness of the curtains where sunlight could not flow through.

        "Good morning, Joy, is it?" Joy jumped out of her skin at the sound of a smooth voice, yet it was deep and demanding her attention be directed towards him.

        His ice blue orbs burning holes into her half naked form covered in tattoos that swirled over her olive skin in various shapes, patterns, and colors.

        He was sitting in the seat Tobias had been sitting in last night when she had drifted off. And then everything started coming back to her. She even scheduled a date with him, what was she thinking?!

        "Surely, by now you know I am Jon, the king of vampires, my title revealed to you the night of the hospital visit. Unless of course you were in too much of a drugged haze to remember." Joy glared at Jon, her lip curling into a sneer.

        "How could I forget a self righteous asshole like you?" The glint in his eyes became one of amusement, the opposite effect Joy thought her words would have.

        "You should be careful with that tongue of yours. It could lead you to your grave." Joy looked at the clock, noticing it was nearly two in the afternoon.

        "Where's Tobias?" She inquired once she noticed he wasn't in the room.

        "I just sent him to fetch a useless piece of paper so I could speak with you alone." Jon leaned forward on his knees and help her dreary, bloodshot gaze. He took in the mess of a girl with running makeup and matted locks. "You best be sure to treat Tobias with decency. He is too kind to see your wicked ways, and I won't have some run-down street walker making a fool out of him. Do you understand me?" Joy wasn't the slightest bit offended by his statement. She merely rolled her eyes and searched for her purse. Upon finding it, she drew out her phone to find she had missed several calls from Isaiah and a few text messages, all apologizing and asking for her to return home.

        Joy, though still angry from last night stood from the bed on shaking legs.

        "Well, when your errand boy gets back, tell him I left, and that I'll see him on Friday." She slipped into her heels and threw on a jacket that was not her own, a jacket meant for a suit. From Jon's grim expression, the article of clothing resting along the chair was his. "And don't worry, I won't break his little heart." She mocked, feigning a pout.

        Joy then took her leave, hugging the jacket closely to her quivering being as she headed back home to the apartment where Isaiah would be waiting for her.

~·~·~

                        Two days sped by, and suddenly it was Friday and Joy was not ready to seek Tobias. She didn't want to be out with him, for she feared it would anger Isaiah.

        Even if she didn't mention him, he always found out.

        But they were just acquaintances, right? Going out for a friendly get together?

        As long as Joy brought home money and an explanation that she was with a man who desired a date, she should be alright. It has happened before in the past, men taking her out after hours. Joy didn't particularly enjoy those times, but she did what she had to in order to get her fix. Isaiah wasn't too fond of it either, but whatever put money in his pocket. As long as she was back in his bed at the end of the night, that is all that mattered to him.

        Joy gave herself a once over in the mirror, unsure as to how she should dress for this.

        She didn't have much for fancy clothing, or classy for that matter.

        All she had was a slimming red dress, gold hoop earrings and a fur coat, which she hoped would suffice. She pouted her red lips, knowing that this wasn't the least bit elegant but she would just have to get over it and get through the night.

        Joy strut passed Isaiah's office in her black heels, fixing her messy bun for last minute adjustments, when his voice called out to her.

        "Where are you going?" Joy paused, turning her head to him and seeing he was counting his earnings.

        "One of my clients asked me to be with him for a bit. I'll be back later tonight." She mumbled as she kept moving, giving no chance for Isaiah to question her.

        Why did he care anyway? It's not like he was ever home, though she supposed it was not his fault he was stuck at work.

        Joy adjusted her dark fur coat along her shoulders, making her way down the stairs, into the club where the music was booming and it was awfully humid with the large crowd.

        She pushed through, excusing herself until her eyes fell upon a familiar set of warm eyes and a vibrant smile that genuinely appeared happy to see her. He wore a nice suit, all fancied up, and it actually made Joy insecure. He looked like he was taking a prostitute for a date and this brought her to tug down her dress.

        He strode over to her and presented her with a bouquet of roses, Joy raising a brow as she took them into her arms.

        "What is this for?!" She shouted over the thump of the bass.

        "I'm taking you on a date, aren't I? What kind of man would I be if I didn't bring a gift for you?" Joy was speechless, mostly because she had never been pampered in such a way. Not even by Isaiah.

        Tobias took her arm, and guided her out of the packed club, to his black car. "Thank you for accompanying me to the performance. I greatly appreciate you giving me the chance to learn more about you." Joy then stopped him while he was opening her door, clutching her purse tightly.

        "Look, Tobias. This is just a casual thing, okay? I'm with someone, it would be wrong if I went behind his back and-" Tobias held up his hand.

        "You're right, it's just a friendly acquaintance date." Joy, having been glad she made herself clear, allowed Tobias to open her door and shut it behind her when she got in, Tobias joining beside her in the driver's seat.

        Joy couldn't remember the last time she had been on a date, so it was awfully awkward for her to be sitting in the car in utter silence. She was tense, staring out of the window and gnawing her red lips when he finally spoke.

        "When the show is over, would you like to get something to eat?" Joy was thoughtful. It all depended how tonight went, but she didn't suspect it to be too bad. "I suppose you worry that I will not stay true to my word from that befuddled expression of yours, but believe me. I have no such intentions to get you into bed tonight. I have work to do once we are finished so I would not have the time for petty one night stands." Joy was astounded he was able to read her so easily. It comforted her because she didn't have to say a word, but it also unsettled her, like she was made of glass and he could see right through her.

        "There should be a fast food place around there. I'm down for that I guess." Tobias nodded and drummed his fingers on the steering wheel as they waited at a red light.

        "Hopefully the traffic isn't too heavy. We should be there in a bit if it moves quickly."

        To their luck, traffic did move rather quickly, the remainder of the ride just Tobias making small talk with her. Joy's answers were short and curt, and she didn't mean them to be. She just wasn't sure how to have such casual conversation that didn't involve what she dealt with on a daily basis. On the outside, she appeared confident and collected, but still there were things she didn't know how to approach, like easy conversation. She was so used to short discussions about profits and work. She never really had anyone be so interested in her, and she didn't even like talking about herself or interests because none of which were to be proud of.

        The moment they arrived, she wasn't expecting excitement to hit her like it did. The moment she met those dazzling bright lights that lit up the New York City night, her eyes reflected their enthusiasm, lips curling into a subtle smile.

        "I know I didn't tell you, but you look delightful." He complimented, taking her hand and helping her out of the car. Joy thanked him, and she would've begged to differ, however she was so elated, she didn't even second guess what he had said.

        Tobias took in her posture and how confident she was strutting into the building. Almost as if it was a second home she hadn't seen in a very long time. She admired the walls and posters in awe, and it was then Tobias knew he had made the right decision to take her here. She needed to always be this happy.

        The smell of the place was filled with a comforting scent of stale perfume and little specks of glitter upon the red carpeting, as Tobias dealt with their tickets, before guiding her to a theatre. "I hope you like Swan Lake." He spoke softly.

        The crowd would have overwhelmed her if she hadn't been so fixed on remembering how lovely it was to be here. She could feel the excitement in her bones, one that she would get before she got herself high, but this was different. She for once felt a blissful sensation without having flecks of white shooting through her nasal cavity.

        He brought her down to the front seats and Joy raised a brow when he sat down.

        "You paid for front seats? What for, I would have been fine with middle seats." She grumbled. She didn't feel like she was worth the trouble, but Tobias turned to her with the brightest beam.

        "I want you to see with ease, now have a seat. The show will be starting soon." Joy hesitantly sat at his side, eyes boring to the velvet curtains.

        It was only a moment before the curtains began to open, a soft piano tune beginning to whine through the theatre.

        Joy straightened in her seat, cocking her head to the side and it was when she saw the first dancer guide across the stage, that she truly felt blissful and a genuine smile cast across her features.

        So filled with stiff yet graceful movements, Joy was mesmerized by each twirl and movement the dancers conformed to, and as she watched the show without fear, or worry, she realized she had felt something she hadn't felt in a very long time.

        She felt completely and utterly safe.

        This was her safe haven.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3K 75 58
"Why are you all looking at me with such long faces?" I question slyly. Everyone looked at me with hate. He motions with his hand, soon more guards c...
7M 267K 64
"Come here" he said motioning for me to step closer. I knew that I had to obey his every word. It was just that my body decided not to move. "I will...
77.5K 1.7K 32
I walked out of the bathroom and felt a presence behind me. I turned around and I felt a pair of strong arms around my waist and slammed me into the...
1.4K 106 13
He watched as her eyes skimmed over his dark eyes and black hair with barely a reaction. He felt his pride twinge a bit so he went further. Lifting h...