Fantastic Beasts and What Hap...

By SavingPeter

Newt Scamander has finally returned to New York with his new book, and now after seems like an eternity, the... More

Chapter 1- Returning
Chapter 2- Remembering the Good Ol' Times
Chapter 3- Sweet Treats
Chapter 4. Unwieldy Situations
Chapter 5- Not Quite the Same
Chapter 6- New York in November
Chapter 7- Easy as Allergies
Chapter 8- Beastly Symphonies
Chapter 9- Grindlewald's Motives
Chapter 10- Night Terrors
Chapter 11- Never Quite That Easy
Chapter 12- Nothing Left

Chapter 13- Still Hope

46 4 2
By SavingPeter

(A/N) OMG THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REVIEWS FOLLOWS AND LIKES!!!! This is so amazing, I'm so unbelievably gladdened that people enjoy it. I have a special shout out to Sfumina for being one of the few who have been reading and commenting on this story (Should I mention that they are the nicest freaking person ever? Cause they are), its just so amazing people take time just to reply to my own stories. It just makes me ecstatic people read it so thank you so much Sfumina and others for sticking with me this far, and I really hope that you all continue to read. (If your reading this on Wattpad, you can ignore this, this is for Fanfiction.net haha) Okay, now that that rant is over, I just want to say sorry again for longer times between updates, last night I was so busy by the time I got home and showered it was past 10 and I was beat from walking around town then sitting for hours and tomorrow I'm gonna be busy again ice skating once more (yay, exercise). Good news I'm getting the wand and scarf tomorrow. Problem is the wand apparently came in a huge box, so I hope its the right thing. Oh one more thing, my friend, he got his Patronus for the first time today. It was a Basset Hound. If you haven't gasped yet, let me clue you in. That's Newt Scamander's/Eddie Redmayne's. That's so rare to get the same, and he acts so different from him. We're best friends, so I'm practically friends with Newt now haha! Okay I should go. These author notes are gonna end up being most of this story! Over 450 in these last two. AHH YOU CREATURE STOP TALKING!

Where was he? Newt opened his eyes a bit, confused. He was greeted by the bright light of day shining through the curtains, dust visible in the streams of daylight. His questioning was immediately set aside when he realized he was still in Tina's apartment. Tina. Newt looked over where she had been, but unsurprisingly she was gone. A small part of him felt slightly saddened she was. His mind drifted back to last night, what happened? He remembered crying, a lot, then she was there and stayed with him until he fell asleep. Newt cringed, that was not something he would've commonly done. What had gotten into him? Sleeping so close to her like that and crying so much, how could he even look at her after that? He looked over to the bed beside him, there layed a pile of Jacob. He smiled. It was nice to see him back. Newt shifted a bit, only to feel a sharp pain near his ribs which must have been from last nights battle. He heard stirring in the other bed, and looked back over again to see a groggy Jacob sit up in his bed. He hadn't seen him since last night. Jacob rubbed his eyes, yawning. Newt continued to be silent. He looked over to Newt, seeming somewhat surprised he was awake.

"Morning there." He said, now stretching his arms out.

"Good morning."

Newt heard what had sounded like a bone break almost, he stared at Jacob. Jacob looked back, reading his expression.

"Don't worry, its normal." He reassured him. He moved his shoulder in a circular motion.

"Messed it up in the war."

Newt nodded his head, understanding.

"So uh, you feeling okay? I mean, after last night Queenie explained that that one spell, Crucio, its one of the worst spells you could do, and it hurts a lot."

"Yes I feel fine." Newt lied. He didn't feel like having any more pity on him then he already had.

"Oh, well that's good."

"Er, you wouldn't happen to know if Queenie and Tina are downstairs, would you?"

Jacob glanced from the door back to Newt, "Yeah I think they are. Tina don't have work, neither do I. Yay for Sundays, am I right?"

"Definitely." Newt said with a smile.

"Well, why don't we head downstairs for breakfast? I smell something, and if I'm correct that smells like omelets." He took a big whiff of the air. "And toast. Definitely toast." He chuckled.

He threw off the blankets and swung his legs over the bed. Newt debated whether he should go down or not. Jacob stood up.

"Coming?" He asked, in a more happy tone if anything.

"Oh, um, I will be in a second. I need to freshen up a bit."

Jacob nodded and headed out the door, leaving Newt alone. He also got up standing still, closing his eyes to relieve himself of the wave of dizziness that came over him.

"Better not be sick" He mumbled to himself, fixing the sheets on the bed.

It didn't really matter much, but he would rather not have a fever. He walked out and to the bathroom, the tile was cold under his bare feet. How his shoes got off was beyond him. Probably kicked them off while he was sleeping. He looked into the mirror, his hair looked like a tornado had come through and his eyes looked tired. He went to walk out and grab his comb when he remembered he didn't have it. He looked down, the comb from last night was still there. He felt a pang in his chest, what was there even to live for without his case? NO. He thought sternly. Don't think like that. He rid himself of the god-awful thoughts and brushed out his hair. He went over everything he had to be thankful for. His friends, his family, the things he never used to have. Me may have lost one thing, but he gained another. Newt stood in the mirror for a while thinking about the good things he had. He tried ignoring the fact he had thought such dark thoughts like that. He saw the faint line of the cut from a few days ago. It felt like years to him. He took a deep breath and tore himself away from the mirror walking out of the bathroom. He hadn't got down the first step when he felt the light-headedness that had plagued him earlier. He gripped the railing as hard as he could and took another careful step down. Slowly he had made it down to the bottom. He stood quietly, not wanting to make any sort of scene. The embarrassment he was feeling wasn't helping either, after all they've seen him gone through, no way would they ever treat him the same. The aroma downstairs distracted his thinking. It did smell heavenly. He heard the clanging of dishware and the whistling of a tea kettle, the typical sounds of a Sunday morning. He watched Tina walking to the table with some napkins when she spotted Newt.

"Oh, Newt! Your up!" She said setting down the table napkins. Queenie walked over.

"Good morning Mr. Scamander."

"Good Morning." Newt said quietly.

"You came just in time." Tina said, smiling. "Breakfast is just about ready. Omelets, Toast and Tea."

Newt looked over to Jacob, who looked proud of himself for guessing the menu items. Queenie chuckled, probably reading his mind. He caught a glimpse of Tina, who was still smiling brightly at him. He thought about his mental confession to her last night, he felt his ears grow hot just at the thought. Oh no. Trying not to look too hasty he glanced to Queenie, who had looked away just as he did, with a smile on her face. It was that smile she had given him the last time she read his mind. Please don't tell her He internally begged, trying to ensure she wouldn't know about his irrational feelings. Queenie looked back at him, still wearing the worrying smile. At that moment a part of Newt died.

"Want sugar in your tea, Newt?" Tina asked, incognizant to the war going on in Newts brain. He quickly regained himself.

"Er- Yes please."

Tina nodded her head and headed back into the kitchen. Queenie remained where she was.

"Please, don't tell her" He whispered. "Please, things are already-" He cut himself off, trying to think of the right thing to say.

"I don't have to, you heard me tell her already last night. I don't need to read minds to know you two have feelings for each other."

Newt went red again.

"At least don't tell her what I said." He stressed.

"I won't."

"Thank you."

Queenie shot him one last grin before leaving to the kitchen as well. On command the strange vertiginous reared itself again, marching into his head. He quickly reached for the wall to ensure he didn't fall. Queenie turned around, probably sensing his condition.

"You okay?" She mouthed to him, concerned.

"I'm fine." He mouthed back dismissively.

Queenie looked at him, unconvinced by his statement.. He didn't really notice it, still trying to shake off the sickness. After a moment or two she shook her head and continued to pour tea, which she had been doing. Newt continued to wait for a moment until he walked carefully to the table. Jacob walked over and sat next to him at the table.

"You doing alright there? You look awfully pale." He questioned.

"Yes I'm alright." He said for what had seemed like the millionth time today.

"Okay, don't think you're getting sick do ya?"

Newt shrugged his shoulders.

Tina and Queenie walked over to the table, dishes and cups along with the platter with the omelets floated over. Newt couldn't help but notice trying to keep his eyes on them was a daunting task, that ended in even more discomfort in his head, but he chose to ignore it.

"Tea or Coffee, Jacob?" Asked Tina from across the room.

"Oh Coffee is fine."

Newt looked down to his hands, folded on the table in front of him. His dizziness was slowly subsiding to his relief. After all the items were placed on the table, Tina and Queenie sat down across from him and Jacob. Newt realized that his appetite had diminished, and the thought of food practically nauseated him. He looked up at the steaming pile of omelets in front of him, trying to find something in him to eat. Everyone around him reached out with their forks, picking up omelets along with some fruit, milk, and toast.

"You going to eat?"

Tina looked at him with raised eyebrows. He shook his head.

"Sorry, I don't have much of an appetite." He responded truthfully, wishing Queenie wasn't staring at him so intently. He didn't like bothering people with his issues, especially when they were so minor. A small fever was absolutely nothing.

"Well are you feeling good?"

"Yes I feel just fine. Just not hungry is all."

Tina looked at him a few more seconds before returning to eating, leaving an awkward silence at the table. Newt didn't mind, as long as the attention wasn't on him. He made sure he didn't let himself think about the latest events, not around his friends. He couldn't handle it. After a few seconds, he decided to strike up conversation.

"So Tina, I uh, I've been meaning to ask about the job. How has it been?"

"Its been real good" She said enthusiastically. "After being promoted, I've been able to work on a lot more cases then I could've before."

The word 'case' seemed to strike something in his chest. He tried not to think about it.

"Anything big?"

Tina put a hand on her chin, most likely thinking.

"Nothing too major, we did have this lunatic wizard, turning No-Maj's into chickens."

Newt chuckled, the thought seemed slightly funny to him. He realized that that had been the first he had genuinely laughed since it happened. Tina smiled too before continuing.

"Yeah, we all thought it was funny too, until me and five other Aurors spent almost three hours chasing chickens through New York. Some were just normal chickens he had let loose. It had to be the most ridiculous thing I had ever done." She shook her head.

"I thought I was going to go mad."

"So was I." Queenie added. "She came home smelling like a poultry barn, I had almost set the apartment on fire with all the candles I had burned!"

Newt continued to smile, Jacob was laughing next to him. He almost felt like everything was normal, just for a little while. His smile slowly faded as reality came back to him. Nothing was normal. It probably would never be. Conversation had been quickly acquired between the other three. Newt sat nodding his head at some points. The words sounded dull to him, no real meaning, just sounds as he became immersed in his own thoughts. What would he do after he left New York? Go back to his home town? Or would he stay? He looked at Tina, she was smiling and talking to Jacob. He wouldn't ever have a chance with her. In the end she would find somebody better, not the mess of a person that he was. He rested his head in his hands. Whatever happens, happens. He would just have to go with where life took him, it wasn't like he had any others plans at this point. Slowly but surely, the lousy nausea started coming back. He tried focusing on something besides the light-headedness and overall awful feelings. A few minutes went by, nobody talking to him thankfully, his clouded thoughts being the only thing he really had. He contemplated getting up and leaving for a while, but he had no good excuse. He didn't want to tell them he was sick and bother them. He didn't have any of his medicines, so maybe just a quick splash of water and a nap would do him some good. He dismissed the thoughts and just sat through it, replying when spoken too. The symptoms slowly had managed to get worse over the span of ten minutes. He bounced his knee and twiddled his thumbs to occupy himself, but to no avail. A new feeling rose up in his stomach, almost like he would throw up almost, he glanced around to make sure nobody was looking at him. He needed to go upstairs. He promptly excused himself and carefully stood up to avoid any extra dizzy spells.

"Whats wrong?" Asked Tina.

"Nothing." He mumbled.

He avoided looking at anyone and went to the doorway for the upstairs. His head was throbbing and feeling like it might detonate, and going up the stairs wasn't helping it. He reached the second floor bathroom, and walked in, closing and locking the door behind him. How was he sick? He looked into the mirror. What was usually a well dressed, taken care of person should be, stood a lanky man with wrinkled clothes, messy hair, and a pale face. He could pass off for a vampire if he wanted to. Another spell came over him, this time clouding his vision with darkness on the edges. He frantically reached for the sink to steady himself so he wouldn't fall. He leaned over the sink, his head down, waiting for the faze to pass. A cold sweat had broke out across his forehead, and his arms were shaking, trying to hold his weight. He inhaled sharply as there were loud knocks on the door.

"Newt? Are you okay? Newt?"

Tina's voice came through the door, full of concern.

"I'm fine" He called back. She didn't budge.

"Newt, let me in please."

Newt stood motionless, afraid to let go of the counter.

"Newt?"

Another spell, this time was worse. The black that had been peeking around his vision had now covered it. He felt his legs give out beneath him as he fell onto the cold, tile floors. Tina must've heard, because she was now hitting the door much louder.

"Newt!? Newt answer me!"

How could he still hear her? Maybe he hadn't passed out fully. He tried moving, but his muscles screamed in protest, leaving him still on the ground. His mind seemed on the fence of unconsciousness as reality shifted in and out of focus. The door opened a few feet from him, and Tina ran in.

"Newt!"

He tried answering, but all that came out was a strangled sound. His hearing was slightly off, all he could hear was her voice, slightly muffled. He could've sworn she had screamed for Queenie. He attempted opening his eyes, but all he could see were black dots. There were more footsteps now, his hearing was better, so the voices started making more sense.

"What happened?!" Exclaimed a seemingly worried Queenie.

"I-I don't know, he locked the door, A-and I heard him fall."

"I knew he wasn't okay." Said Queenie, slightly calmer than before.

Newt felt a hand on his back,

"Newt, can you hear me? Are you okay?" She asked, her voice still full of worry.

Newt mustered up the will to talk, "I-I'm fine, I just.." He tried holding himself up with his fore-arms, but only to have them give out, to his frustration, and landing him back on the tile.

Tina held on to his arm tightly as they sat him upright on the floor. His head now leaned against the wall limply as Tina and Queenie sat by him on their knees, eyeing him, concerned.

"Do you want water?"

Newt shook his head, casting his eyes to the floor, wishing they would leave him alone.

"Well how about any medicine?"

"No" He said in a low tone, that came out a bit more bitter than he had intended, but he really didn't care. A few seconds went by of silence. Newts anger rapidly building, he had clenched his jaw, and his hands were in fists. If asked, he wouldn't really know what made him so angry, but he didn't think about it. Tina interrupted the silence.

"Newt, were just trying to help, if you would just-"

"Well maybe I don't want your help!" He retorted in a loud voice. The outburst had seemed to take Tina and Queenie by surprise.

"You're sick," Queenie said in a definite tone. "And you are staying here so we can help you!"

"Then you are poorly mistaken."

Newt shot up, shrugging off the discomfort. Tina and Queenie stood up right with him. He started towards the door, but was blocked by Tina putting her arm between him and the open doorway.

"No Newt."

Newt stood, still staring to the floor, not blinking.

"Move, Tina."

Tina stood her ground, determined to not let him through, and also confident he would never hurt her.

"Tina. Move." He said again, this time a bit louder than before.

"I'm not moving."

Newt felt his fists tighten automatically.

"Move!" He yelled, Tina flinched slightly.

Her flinching must've caused whatever had been making his so angry disappear, because his hands had relaxed. He looked up into Tina's eyes, which had just a hint of fear. What had he done? He took a couple steps back in disbelief, Tina had flinched when he had yelled, was she scared of him?

"No, no please I didn't meant to- I-I'm sorry" He stammered, trying to make sense of what was happening.

Tina took a step towards him, the fear had vanished, and was replaced by a look of sadness and empathy. He continued moving backwards.

"Hey, its okay."

She continued moving closer until Newt had his back up against the wall, he looked down shamefully, tears forming in his eyes. Tina reached out, just in time to gently brush away a tear with her thumb.

"I'm so sorry" He murmured, wishing he hadn't done what he done. Tina smiled up at him sadly.

"Newt its alright, there's nothing to apologize for."

"I-I don't know what got into me, I-" He was cut off by Tina's embrace. He closed his eyes, wondering what had gotten into him.

She let go and took a step back giving Newt some room to breathe. Queenie was now standing in the doorway, watching.

"Now, is it alright if we get a temperature?" She asked softly. Newt nodded his head.

Tina rummaged through the medicine cabinet until she found the small instrument while Newt sat under the watchful eyes of Queenie.

"Should be here somewhere" Tina mumbled to herself.

After another minute passed, Tina had finally located it. She walked over and handed it to Newt, who was glad he could do it himself. He turned it on and placed it in his mouth. Everyone waited a few agonizing minutes, Newt sitting uncomfortable on the edge of the bath with the thermometer under his tongue, and Tina and Queenie standing, waiting for the beep to signal it being done. Finally it went off, Newt took it out of his mouth and looked at it, it read 103.1. He handed it to Tina wordlessly.

"A hundred and three? That's pretty bad, you should probably take some medicine."

Newt nodded his head again, he would just go with whatever they recommended, he didn't feel like sticking around for very long. Queenie had already grabbed a bottle and a small glass of water.

"Here, it might not work right away, but it should be kicking in in an hour or so" She said, handing them to him.

"Thank you" He said quietly, accepting the medicine.

He shook a pill out of the bottle and quickly took it, washing it down with the glass of water. He handed the bottle back to Queenie. He made sure he wasn't seeming to eager to go upstairs and slowly stood up.

"I'll be upstairs then." He said, and walked out the door without another word.

He walked up the stairs, making sure to keep his hand on the railing. His mind buzzed with activity, mostly what he had done. He had been in control of himself, but he had been so angry, when all they wanted to do was help him. How could he have done such a thing as yell at someone? Especially Tina. He would probably never forgive himself for that one. He reached the bedroom, his sheets made from earlier. Part of him was wishing Tina would've followed him up here, another was glad she didn't.

He sat down and stared down at the floor. If he had to take a quiz on the floors of Tina's flat, he would do exceptionally well. He got into the bed, laying on top of the sheets. His head felt already better than before, and he didn't feel like passing out so that was a good sign. He gazed up at the ceiling, lost in thought about what he would most likely do after leaving New York. He didn't fit in much in this city anyways, and so what if he would be alone again? It wasn't anything he wasn't used to, except last time, he had his beasts. His throat tightened as he thought of his beasts, but he held back the tears. He layed in bed for a while, just thinking, mostly about all the good times him and his friends had had and been having, until eventually tiredness had overcome him, and he fell asleep.

......

Newt opened his eyes wearily as he had felt a strange sensation on his ear that woke him up. He waited a few more seconds too see if he felt it again, in case it was him imagination. After nothing happened, he rolled his eyes and closed them again. He almost fell asleep when the tickling came back, this time in the crook of his neck. He reached and rubbed it, irritated. He didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. He shrugged it off a second time. Must be a piece of hair or something, he thought. After he felt it for the third time, he decided he had enough.

"What in the name of Merlin-?"

He sat up quickly, wanting to find the source of the annoyance. He felt all around his neck, and looked on the bed. After again feeling nothing, he layed back down, this time ready in case it came back. He waited patiently, just for the slightest touch. Minutes went by with nothing happening, so Newt had relaxed back into his normal position, mostly sure the source of the touching was gone.

CLICK!

A loud clicking noise went off right in his left ear, catching Newt by surprise. So much, in fact, he had accidentally fell off the bed, possibly yelling in the process. He rubbed his ear on the floor, bewildered on what had made the noise. He cautiously sat up, wishing he knew where his wand was. He was pretty sure it was somewhere, he only had seen it last at the docks. Tina or Queenie was probably keeping it for him. He looked around the room, but there wasn't anyone.

"What?" He said to himself, still utterly baffled of what he heard.

Another sensation came back, crawling through his hair. He quickly reached for the back of his head, really wanting to know the culprit of what had been bothering him. He felt something under his fingers as he ran them over his ginger-brown hair.

"Gotchya!" He exclaimed as he grabbed a hold of the thing.

He pulled it off his head and went to look at it. What he saw also may have made him scream. His eyes widened as he looked in disbelief at the small animal in his hand, that looked up at him, looking equally surprised.

"P-P-Pickett?!"

Pickett continued to look up at Newt, who was holding him in his trembling fingers. He smiled up at his owner, who looked like he was looking at a ghost. Both Newt and Pickett looked over as the door opened.

"Whats going on?" Said Tina, walking in.

Newt looked up above the side of the bed, it took Tina a moment to notice the small green creature in Newts hands. She stared disbelievingly at him, then at Newt.

"Is that-?"

Newt nodded, still at a loss for words. Pickett crawled up his arm, stopping hear his shoulder, in which he gave a big hug.

"I-I missed you too buddy, how did you get back? The case- it was destroyed."

Pickett gave him a look of confusion before a shook his head, clicking. Newt watched him, he had managed to learn some of what Bowtruckles used to communicate. He listened intently, trying to decipher what he was saying.

Tina's Third P.O.V

Tina watched incredulously from across the bed, watching Pickett and Newt. She had thought Pickett was gone. Did he manage to get out before it was destroyed? He clicked madly up at Newt, who seemed to know at least a bit of what he was trying to say. Newt was nodding his head up and down a bit. She had not the slightest idea of why Newt had been screaming, but now she knew why. After another moment or two, the clicking had stopped, and Pickett was looking up at Newt expectantly. She darted back and forth between them, curious on what had just happened.

"What was he saying?" She asked.

Newt sat on the ground, a smile of disbelief on his face as he stared at the wall in front of him.

"The case isn't gone." He said, almost distantly. "It wasn't destroyed."

He looked up at Tina, with a gleaming his eyes. No longer the hopelessness and misery that had been there before, but a light, the light she had seen and adored all that time before. He smiled slightly,

"There's still hope.."

To Be Continued...

.....

(A/N) Sorry for the ending cliché, but it just signals that this book is now finished. Ah! Don't fret, the end of this book means the start of my next one, Fantastic Beasts and Where They Went !! Again, thank you all so much everyone for the reads, its just amazing and I could not be more thankful. So, yes, the case was not truly destroyed. Now we will see Newt, Tina, Queenie and Jacob all come together to search for it! A lot of you guys were freaking out after chapter 10, and I wanted to tell everyone so badly. (I told one person, I couldn't help myself xD). So just tune into the next story, which is directly following the events of this one, just under a new name. This chapter was longer than intended, but hey, why not go out of this story with a bang? (No pun of Newt collapsing, xD) But yeah, I think that's about it. I must go and make Tacos. Taco Thursday? Eh, not as good of a ring but hey, I ain't complaining I'll tell ya that much. See you all in Fantastic Beasts and Where They Went!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31K 1K 38
So, this is my FIRST EVER Fanfic. Forgive me for my mistakes. Plot - (after) Fantastic Beasts : Crims of Grindelwald Summary - Rescuing Queenie from...
721 20 13
After New York you and Newt have not seen each other for a while. You are busy with work and Newts book is on fire. But will you see him again?
742K 51.7K 22
❝ You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.❞ Tegwen Gittins nearly always stuck to the advic...
72.6K 3.1K 51
Newt's travel ban was not in place until after his book was published and he was able to visit Tina in New York before then. They become close, very...