Book 1: Awakening (The VIth E...

By AdeleRoseAuthor

'One person on their own may be able to save the world. But a team of friends, all working together, have a m... More

Introduction
Dedication
Prologue
Chapter 1: Alex
Chapter 2: Alex
Chapter 3: Alex
Chapter 4: Alex
Chapter 5: Alex
Chapter 6: Alex
Chapter 7: Alex
Chapter 8: Alex
Chapter 9: Alex
Chapter 10: Alex
Chapter 11: Alex
Chapter 13: Alex
Chapter 14: Alex
Chapter 15: Alex
Chapter 16: Alex
Chapter 17: Hecate
Chapter 18: Alex
Chapter 19: Alex
Chapter 20: Alex
Chapter 21: Alex
Chapter 22: Hecate
Chapter 23: Alex
Chapter 24: Alex
Chapter 25: Alex
Chapter 26: Alex
Chapter 27: Alex
Chapter 28: Alex
Chapter 29: Alex
Chapter 30: Alex
Chapter 31: Alex
Chapter 32: Alex
Chapter 33: Alex
Chapter 34: Alex
Chapter 35: Alex
Chapter 36: Alex
Chapter 37: Hecate
Chapter 38: Alex
Chapter 39: Alex
Chapter 40: Alex
Chapter 41: Alex
Chapter 42: Alex
Chapter 43: Alex
Epilogue
A Message From The Author
X A Short Acknowledgement X

Chapter 12: Alex

729 41 14
By AdeleRoseAuthor

We spent the remainder of the day, before we went to find out our roommates, by the lake, investigating its surroundings and eating a selection of sandwiches for lunch. In the centre of the lake was a small island, encircled by an assortment of tall and large trees. This island could be accessed by a collection of small boats, from canoes to rowing boats, tied to the jetty. This was unless, like the unpleasant girl who could fly, you could get there without needing any form of water based transportation.

Before we surveyed the island, we walked around the entirety of the lake, which was bordered by a huge wood, resting on stone seats dotted at various checkpoints and watching the ducks and swans swim contentedly by. To be honest, by the time we had completed a full circle, I had forgotten about our previous argument and about the cold, for I was roasting in my thick jumper and multiple layers of socks.

When Jasmine and I eventually completed a full circle, we had bonded like two people who had known each other for years. Both of us were musical. She played the piano and guitar and I sung, as well as played the flute. To make each other laugh, we practised harmonies to popular songs and Jasmine, like me, revealed that she wanted to be a full-time author when she was older.

Due to this growing closeness, I soon decided that I could ask her how she felt when she first learnt of her powers and her 'awakening'. She met my question with a small, embarrassed smile.

"Well...after my scout had helped me regain control of my powers, she told me about Vladimir's academy. Since I knew I had been responsible, as my 'awakening' was on such a big scale, I quickly accepted the truth. However," she added, her eyes going glassy. "The hardest part was leaving my parents the following morning. I didn't get a wink of sleep at all." Jasmine wiped her eyes on her sleeve, as we watched a solitary swan swim past. "It took so much effort to say goodbye."

At hearing this response, I placed my hand over hers.

"I know how you feel," I said, trying to comfort her. "I spent my last night crying the whole time, so much so that I looked like a zombie in the morning." I threw her an encouraging smile. "Still, I'm just grateful that I met such a lovely friend so early on during my time here. I've always found it hard to make friends. Therefore, I count myself lucky."

Jasmine shot me a beaming grin at hearing this comment, her tears rapidly receding.

"Oh Alex, thank you so much," she said, smiling. "I'm so lucky to have met you too. At least I now know one friendly face out of the many that go here."

I nodded.

"Me too," I replied, before I eyeballed the line of rowing boats.

Jasmine saw my line of gaze and, at seeing her excited face, we decided to try one out. After a wobbly (if not slightly wet) start, we eventually reached the island. Once we had made sure that the boat was well and truly secure to the post on the jetty, we headed off amongst the trees. The island itself wasn't that big and soon, we realised that we were reaching its centre, despite the fact that the trees were more tightly packed together now, making visibility harder. The small clearing, arranged with several logs, rocks and a small bonfire in the middle, which wasn't lit, told us that we had finally found the islands midpoint.

We weren't alone.

Just as I stepped into the clearing, a stick snapped, causing me to curse loudly. 'Mystery boy' sharply spun around, startled at first.

As soon as he saw me, his face relaxed.

"Oh," he said, in a voice that was deep. "It's you."

Jasmine came up behind me as he spoke and, at hearing his response to our arrival, threw him a heated glare.

"What's that supposed to mean?" she retorted, looking at him in an affronted manner.

Immediately, he realised that his initial comment had sounded rude and he stood up, before walking over to us, shaking his head apologetically.

"Sorry," he said, grinning weakly and flushing slightly, as he caught my eye. "I didn't mean to upset you and I guess that came out wrong. It was just that I was worried that you were a teacher and I don't want to get into trouble, particularly as I've only just got here."

The moment he had finished, Jasmine and I threw each other an amused glance. Once the words had left my lips, his gaze burned into mine.

My heart fluttered.

"So...what were you doing?" I asked him, blushing at the intensity of his gaze but nonetheless intrigued.

Immediately, 'Mystery boy' smiled at me.

Gosh, I thought. His smile was another thing that I could add to the mounting list of: 'Things that were exceedingly hot about 'Mystery boy''.

Stop, a voice in my brain screamed at me. Just stop. You need to get to know this guy more before you even begin to think like that. After all, he could turn out to be a lunatic, for looks can be deceiving as you well know. Therefore, you need to be careful and watch your guard!

As much as it pained me, I mentally made my choice. Oblivious to my mental debate, 'Mystery boy' answered my question.

"Well..." he said, going a little red and bringing me back from my thoughts. He threw his hand back behind his head, before pulling lightly at his hair, causing me to go all soft inside. "I was kind of practising and I didn't know if we were allowed to."

Jasmine, after hearing his vague explanation, was baffled by this answer, much like I was. I was pleased when she relieved the both of us of our puzzlement.

"Practising what?" she asked, frowning.

'Mystery boy' beamed at her.

"I was practising my powers," he replied, virtually bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. "This place is amazing for it, as it's got such an incredible energy and because less people will get hurt by what I can do."

Now, after hearing the last part of his response, I was interested in this guy even more. I could tell that Jasmine was too from her facial expression. (The green eyed monster grumbled at this fact).

"What can you do?" I abruptly asked, ignoring the jealous twinges in my stomach. The moment I spoke, I could tell that I had said the right question, for 'Mystery boy's' face glowed in animation.

"I can show you if you like?" He said. However, almost immediately afterwards, he looked crestfallen and stopped jumping up and down, which was a relief because his energetic movements had begun to make me feel sick. "But I don't know if that's acceptable outside of lessons?"

Jasmine and I threw each other another amused smile, once my stomach had calmed down.

"Well," said Jasmine, "both Alex and I have practised our powers since getting here and we haven't been told off. Therefore, I suggest you go for it."

For some reason, as soon as Jasmine had finished, this news hit the jackpot. 'Mystery Boy' seemed to puff out his chest, as if trying to impress us and rolled up his long sleeves. Overall, he looked as if he was preparing for a magic act. Subsequently, he gestured at us to step back, resuming his vigorous movements, causing my stomach to groan in despair.

"OK...well, if you could move backwards ladies so you don't get injured, in case this goes a little wrong that would be helpful." 'Mystery boy' instructed, his golden eyes gleaming in excitement. "Then, prepare yourself for the demonstration of a lifetime."

Jasmine and I laughed at hearing this remark and at the guy's clear enthusiasm. To our amazement, we realised that he was indeed talented. Using nothing but his mind, 'Mystery boy' made the pile of medium sized logs, which made up the non-lit bonfire and the several rocks scattered here and there, float up in the air and hover, before rotating them different ways around the three of us. Finally, he allowed them to slowly fall back to earth and hit the ground with a thud.

When he had finished his display, Jasmine and I stood there open-mouthed.

He had gotten a whole lot hotter.

"WOW!" said Jasmine, smiling at him in admiration, once he had finished his impressive show. "Your power is telekinesis. That's so cool."

'Mystery boy' flashed Jasmine a grin, pleased to see that he had made such an impact.

"Sure is." He laughed, thrilled with our response and showing us his mark, which was black in colour, in the shape of a brain, with golden, lightning bolts shooting out of it. "And I just want to get better and better. One day," he said, beaming at us. "I want to be able to move gigantic objects, just with the power of thought, but that'll only come with practise and time because sometimes," he added, chuckling. "I can get a little too eager, causing things to get out of hand."

Jasmine and I nodded in agreement, laughing.

"Same," said Jasmine. "One day I want to be able to change the weather, in super quick time, without things going wrong."

It was the turn of 'Mystery boy' to look at her in amazement.

"Your power's weather control?" he asked Jasmine, clearly impressed.

She nodded, blushing.

For some reason, his response to her powers and Jasmine's reaction once again caused the green eyed monster to rear its head and start growling.

Guiltily, I pushed it aside.

"Yeah," she answered, smiling, her cheeks pink.

"Awesome!" 'Mystery boy' replied, before he remembered an event that had occurred previously. "So...were you the one responsible for that random change in weather earlier?" he suddenly asked, his eyes sparkling.

Jasmine reddened even more, embarrassed, but I could tell she was confident in her powers.

"Yeah...I was," she eventually replied.

At hearing this conformation, I saw 'Mystery boy' pause for a moment, before he whistled.

When he replied, his face was radiant.

"Damn...that's epic." He said, making her laugh.

Subsequently, he broke eye contact with her and looked at me expectantly.

It was now that I felt like I wanted the ground to swallow me up. Next to me were two people who had amazing powers, which were far more remarkable than mine. At the end of the day, 'Mystery boy' could potentially move buildings if he wanted to and, in terms of Jasmine, she could create devastating natural disasters, if she ever became that dark minded. All I could do though, on the other depressing hand, was bend water into shapes.

That was hardly "epic" or "cool".

I blushed, ashamed of what I had been bestowed with.

"I can control the element of water," I mumbled, speaking really quickly and hoping that 'Mystery boy' didn't hear me. I dared to meet his eyes.

Much to my surprise, he flashed me a beaming grin.

"Now that's uber impressive," he smiled, waving his hands vivaciously about. "So, one day, you might be able to control all this water in the lake?"

This comment caught me off guard. I hadn't considered that possibility, after comparing it to everyone else's. Realising where 'Mystery boy' was coming from, I was relieved to see that somehow, my talent might not be mediocre after all.

"Yeah," I said, now smiling and filled with a new sense of self-awareness. "Yeah, one day that could happen."

As soon as I had finished talking, 'Mystery boy' flashed me a smile. When we looked at each other, I felt the same rush that I had felt earlier on.

I blushed.

It was then that the three of us decided that we would head back to the academy to find out what dorms we were in and to meet our roommates.

As we walked back to the academy, we exchanged names.

Eventually, it came to 'Mystery boy'.

"So...what's your name?" I asked him, as he kindly helped me into my rowing boat, supporting my weight.

The boat wobbled dangerously.

When I was sitting down and happy that the boat wasn't going to tip over, I looked at him once more and he winked at me.

I blushed again.

"I'd never thought you'd ask." He replied, chuckling at my beetroot features, before continuing. "My name's Raphael and I guess that now we've officially introduced ourselves, we can all be friends?"

As we pushed off the bank, once he had gotten into his own boat, which had been hidden by some rather large bulrushes and headed towards the other side of the lake, I exchanged glances with Jasmine.

She nodded an agreement, smiling.

"Sure," I ultimately replied, heart pounding. I grinned at Raphael in the boat next to me, gently splashing him with the oar and laughed at his surprised reaction. "Sure. Jazz and I would love that."

***********
AN:

So 'mystery boy' has a name and it is Raphael. I don't know why I named him that. Thinking about it now, it reminds me of one of the Ninja Turtles haha. Never mind. I still think he is kind of cute. I wanted to create a somewhat geeky persona about him. Hopefully I pulled it off 😂

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 896 29
The powers that come with a covenant are strong, intoxicating and head-turning. Like a surfer on the waves, you feel on top of the world. Until the...
205K 11.7K 51
Yet again Darkness is hungry for a war to end it all, but Light will always have troops at the ready. One girl. One kingdom. Eleven friends. Four Ele...
26.7K 3.2K 51
[Wattys2018 Shortlist] [Bootcamp Mentorship Mentee 2020] [Insidious Awards - 1st place/Action/Adventure] "Squinty, I... Help me! Please! You have t...
3M 69.7K 79
WATTY AWARD FINALIST - MOST POPULAR - PARANORMAL ROMANCE Awarded MOST READ 2013 achieving #1 ROMANCE, PARANORMAL, FANTASY, NON TEEN FICTION CHARTS. A...